Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Don't panic if Bortles looks bad against the Lions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Temper your expectations, not only will he be going up against a stout D line but you have to keep in mind he's hardly worked at all with the starters, he had much more chemistry with the second team and it showed in the first few games.

Just saying, be careful with your expectations. 

I'm kinda expecting him to do less but hoping he continues to improve and plays lights out.
The people that have prepared all along for him NOT to be "instant starter" will certainly not panic if he happens to not look so good vs Detroit....

However, those other people.... :whistling: 

Quote:I'm kinda expecting him to do less but hoping he continues to improve and plays lights out.
The big thing to keep in mind is that he's not worked with the starters, the chemistry just might not be there that he had with the other guys. IF he goes out there and plays as good as he has been then we just might have a special player. 
Quote:The big thing to keep in mind is that he's not worked with the starters, the chemistry just might not be there that he had with the other guys. IF he goes out there and plays as good as he has been then we just might have a special player.
I kinda already feel like we have a special player. He worked with the lesser half of the receivers but still made throws that most QBs just don't throw.
Quote:I kinda already feel like we have a special player. He worked with the lesser half of the receivers but still made throws that most QBs just don't throw.
Yeah I feel you man, he's made some throws in 2 short showings that I haven't seen in Jacksonville in over 4 years. But i'm trying to temper my expectations until it starts to translate into regular season wins. 
Quote:Yeah I feel you man, he's made some throws in 2 short showings that I haven't seen in Jacksonville in over 4 years. But i'm trying to temper my expectations until it starts to translate into regular season wins. 

You can already tell that we have a QB that won't settle for just dinking and dunking and thats one of the most important things. The difference between the average QB's in this league and the top tiers of QB are the ones that can consistently make big plays in the intermediate and deeper routes. 
Quote:You can already tell that we have a QB that won't settle for just dinking and dunking and thats one of the most important things. The difference between the average QB's in this league and the top tiers of QB are the ones that can consistently make big plays in the intermediate and deeper routes. 
Yes that's why as I watch Henne run the exact same plays Bortles does and dumps the ball off over and over again it frustrates me that he still has a job. 

Quote:Yes that's why as I watch Henne run the exact same plays Bortles does and dumps the ball off over and over again it frustrates me that he still has a job.
I honestly think the coaching staff trusts Bortles more already then Henne. They even let Bortles change plays at the lie which you don't see a lot of rookies doing.
Quote:Yes that's why as I watch Henne run the exact same plays Bortles does and dumps the ball off over and over again it frustrates me that he still has a job. 

Theres no reason for it to frustrate you. Bortles is the future starter and when the people responsible for his development feel he's ready to be installed as the permanent starting QB then that will be it. 
Quote:I honestly think the coaching staff trusts Bortles more already then Henne. They even let Bortles change plays at the lie which you don't see a lot of rookies doing.

What used to frustrate me was that for several years, we didn't let a veteran QB like Garrard change plays at the LOS.   They stacked the box against MJD, and we just slammed him into the teeth of the defense.   I saw it all the time- one on one coverage on the outside, and we ignored it and  handed the ball to MJD.  That was under Del Rio. 
The fact that he does throw 15+ yard passes more often than not is what gives me hope for the future. The guy understands the game. He gets it.

I expect he'll get hit couple of time time but it'll put some hair on his chest
So a rookie might not play great every game?  

Thank God somebody straightened me out on that one.

After watching his performance in these last two games, I don't expect to see much of a drop. It's not like there's a huge difference between the ones and the twos. Yes, though he may not have the so called "chemistry" with the ones, it's all a matter of routes. If they run the routes they're supposed to run, He'll put the ball where it's supposed to be as they get there.

I'm definitely tempering my expectations.  Lions front 7 is pretty nasty.

Quote:The people that have prepared all along for him NOT to be "instant starter" will certainly not panic if he happens to not look so good vs Detroit....

However, those other people.... :whistling:
Ho-hum.
I'm expecting Bortles to stay the course and continue to out play Henne--only now the excuse of him doing it against 2nd and 3rd stringers wont apply. 

He's ready.

Why panic? We're talkin bout Practice.

Jags practice better than the Lions tomorrow 24-12. 1st team defense shuts down the Lions passing attack and Bortles goes 13-18 for 160 yds 1 TD's & 1 int

Quote:Temper your expectations, not only will he be going up against a stout D line but you have to keep in mind he's hardly worked at all with the starters, he had much more chemistry with the second team and it showed in the first few games.

Just saying, be careful with your expectations. 
You can certainly tell people not to panic, but you can also be assured there's going to be a segment on this board who will do exactly that because it's just what they do. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8