Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Confederate (Rebel) Flag Controversy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I wonder why do people still waive around the confederate flag or have it in their yards, windows, vehicles, etc?

Is it as the supporters of the flag claim a proud emblem of their Southern heritage?

or

Is it as the opposers of the flag claim a racist reminder of our countrys slavery and abuse to minorites, a symbol of hate?

The KKK has embraced the flag thus making a strong case for those that bear the conferate flag as a hate symbol of protest against minorities. 

The flag is back in the news due to a fredericksburg, VA man whom has a giant confederate flag hoisted high above his woods close to I95 (a major interstate highway leading into the Nations Capital)

When asked he stated;

“I’ve got 50 ancestors who fought in the Civil War,” Cash said. “I honor their heritage.”

I wonder does he honor them but causing so much hate from others in his display of the flag?  Either way doesnt he have the right to do what he wants on his property if it doesnt harm others?

I personally think he wanted the reaction he got and out of civil peace he should take it down.  What do you think?

I always laugh when I see a confederate flag...really just because most people that wave it don't really know the real reason behind it.  Only that it shows how they really feel about certain people.

Here's the confederate flag/license plate article.  It's pretty interesting actually.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15...88241.html

This should be in the political section, I'll give me response once it's moved over there, since we can't do politics in the sideline.

in the mean time

**grabs popcorn***

The confederate flag is to flags as "I'm not racist, but..." is to social commentary. In other words, the kind of people who use it regularly are the same kind you try to avoid when you to go to the local Walmart.

Quote:The confederate flag is to flags as "I'm not racist, but..." is to social commentary. In other words, the kind of people who use it regularly are the same kind you try to avoid when you to go to the local Walmart.

The "I'm not a raicst, but..." part really sums it up.

It is racism, it's about oppression and a celebration of the conservative ideals that allowed for it.
So now it's in the politics forum, I'll respond

1.) Yes he absolutely can fly any flag he wants on his property doesn't matter what the flag is, he could fly a Nazi flag if he wanted, it's his property.

2.) The "rebel" flag means different things to different people.
Quote:The "I'm not a raicst, but..." part really sums it up.

It is racism, it's about oppression and a celebration of the conservative ideals that allowed for it.

an object can't be racism by definition.
Quote:an object can't be racism by definition.

Quote:So now it's in the politics forum, I'll respond

1.) Yes he absolutely can fly any flag he wants on his property doesn't matter what the flag is, he could fly a Nazi flag if he wanted, it's his property.

2.) The "rebel" flag means different things to different people.

The object isn't racism, the motive to display it is racism. Where did I say the flag was the source of the motive?

The rebel flag doesn't mean different things to different people. Some people rationalize it and do convoluted backflips of logic to justify it as something other than racism that drives them to display such a symbol, but the actual motive is simply racism.
Quote:The object isn't racism, the motive to display it is racism. Where did I say the flag was the source of the motive?

The rebel flag doesn't mean different things to different people. .

There you go again, ascribing your beliefs to other people.

And, again, looks like you aren't quite right.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/12/...dorm-room/
I wish I could read minds.

Quote:There you go again, ascribing your beliefs to other people.

And, again, looks like you aren't quite right.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/12/...dorm-room/

LOL! That's classic!

Okay, I was wrong, some people might display the flag exclusively out of confusion of its actual meaning, or I could still be correct and he could be the self loathing sort.

http://aattp.org/must-see-three-history-...ano-video/

Quote:The object isn't racism, the motive to display it is racism. Where did I say the flag was the source of the motive?

The rebel flag doesn't mean different things to different people. Some people rationalize it and do convoluted backflips of logic to justify it as something other than racism that drives them to display such a symbol, but the actual motive is simply racism.

That's preposterous. Everyone who flies that flag is a racist? Nice way to stereotype people, bigot. I have no doubt that many fly the flag based on racism or racial pride, but I'd venture a guess that a great deal more find it a symbol for states rights and strong will.

I Don't fly one, but I would never try to stifle someone's free expression.
Quote:That's preposterous. Everyone who flies that flag is a racist? Nice way to stereotype people, bigot. I have no doubt that many fly the flag based on racism or racial pride, but I'd venture a guess that a great deal more find it a symbol for states rights and strong will.

I Don't fly one, but I would never try to stifle someone's free expression.

States rights and strong will are code words for racism in this case, bigot.
Quote:LOL! That's classic!

Okay, I was wrong, some people might display the flag exclusively out of confusion of its actual meaning, or I could still be correct and he could be the self loathing sort.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://aattp.org/must-see-three-history-professors-obliterate-racist-revisionist-historian-andrew-napolitano-video/'>http://aattp.org/must-see-three-history-professors-obliterate-racist-revisionist-historian-andrew-napolitano-video/</a>

I have many black friends from Green Cove or Middleburg that fly the flag. They're all self-loathing racists too.
Quote:I have many black friends from Green Cove or Middleburg that fly the flag. They're all self-loathing racists too.

Or confused, or possibly trying to neutralize its meaning through co-opting, sort of the way the n-word is used.

Don't be confused, though, bigot, it's a symbol of racism, much the way the n-word is racist language.
Quote:States rights and strong will are code words for racism in this case, bigot.

You do realize the Civil War was mainly over state's rights? The slavery part was just the biggest issue of the dispute.
Quote:You do realize the Civil War was mainly over state's rights? The slavery part was just the biggest issue of the dispute.

Nope, that's the revisionist version. Look at the link I posted earlier.
Quote:Or confused, or possibly trying to neutralize its meaning through co-opting, sort of the way the n-word is used.

Don't be confused, though, bigot, it's a symbol of racism, much the way the n-word is racist language.

I'm the bigot even though I judge nobody I don't know. Meanwhile in Oklahomie world he judges huge sects of people without knowing them.
Americans against the tea party website? Really? Can't find a neutral site?
Quote:I'm the bigot even though I judge nobody I don't know. Meanwhile in Oklahomie world he judges huge sects of people without knowing them.

I'm accepting what they openly tell the world of themselves, which is that they're defiantly racist.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5