Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blackmon. Why All The Secrecy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
With the recent up-rise of talk about Blackmon, not only here, but in the media, I got to thinking something, and It's been nagging at me. What is the deal with all of the secrecy behind this suspension? First off, Why is this suspension so different from so many other suspensions, in that players usually get the freebie, then four games, then 8 games (or a season, I forget which), and so on and so forth. Blackmon went straight from a four game to an indefinite suspension. It seems to go against the grain of what is collectively bargained, or it's entirely possible that I am missing something. You look at the Browns player who, by my view, is certainly transgressing upon  the rules of the NFL, yet the NFL is happy to keep everyone informed about what's going on there. With Blackmon, any information seems to be speculative at best, and everything concrete seems to have been sucked into a black hole, never to be seen again.

Some questions:

Why is there no information about what the suspension involved? Not necessarily specifics, but something informative that wouldn't violate the rights of the player.

Why is this indefinite suspension sitting so well with everyone? Not fans, but the team, the NFLPA, etc?

If they understand why to the point where they are satisfied with the parameters of the suspension, why can't they find a way to explain to the fans what's going on in a way that doesn't violate the CBA or the rights of the player or team or league?

In a nutshell, the NFL basically threw this guy into never-never land, and gave very little information about why, and for how long. I am by no means asking for them to reveal privileged information, but this whole air of nothingness bothers me, What bothers me more is the team's and the NFLPA's comfort with it. If they know something we don't, can't they find a way to shed a little light on this situation? They owe it to us in my eyes. This suspension seems out of the ordinary to me, and as such deserves at least some explaining.

I'm in complete agreement. It truly baffles the mind.

Yeah, thats true....

Blackmon went right from a 4 gamer to at 8 games and counting...(which will at least go to mid season) 

As I said before....Goodell does not want the Jags to succeed here, so he saw that Blackmon was a stud and was a threat to us succeeding here, so he took care of that!... :whistling: 

Goodell will do all he can to make sure we end up in London like he wants!! (or LA)

Quote: Wink 

As I said before....Goodell does not want the Jags to succeed here, so he saw that Blackmon was a stud and was a threat to us succeeding here, so he took care of that!... :whistling:

Goodell will do all he can to make sure we end up in London like he wants!! (or LA)
Put down the MD 20/20, it's clouding your vision.  Wink
It is pretty ridiculous. Regardless of wether you think Blackmon will be able to make a come back or not, the NFL did go pretty harsh on him. He's getting the same treatment as Pacman Jones.

What?

Josh Gordon = Appeal still in process.

Justin Blackmon = Appeal after process, denied.

The only difference is loose lips versus personal privacy, and you figure out which side you agree with.

Quote:As I said before....Goodell does not want the Jags to succeed here, so he saw that Blackmon was a stud and was a threat to us succeeding here, so he took care of that!... :whistling:

your delusional if you really think that. I think there's been no news because Blackmon has applied for reinstatement.
Quote:What?

Josh Gordon = Appeal still in process.

Justin Blackmon = Appeal after process, denied.

The only difference is loose lips versus personal privacy, and you figure out which side you agree with.

yep. 

Its crap. 

Blackmon getting screwed over while Gordon gets infinite chances. 
Quote:yep. 

Its crap. 

Blackmon getting screwed over while Gordon gets infinite chances. 

What?

Blackmon's appeal was denied, so his suspension that was handed down will have to be served.

Gordon's appeal (filed later then Blackmon's appeal), which is still under "appeal", is some form of league scandal?

They are individual appeals, appealed at different times. Appeal one (Blackmon) was appealed well before appeal two (Gordon), and you think they should be finalized at the same time?

That's like expecting all players be arrested April 20th for driving under the influence. That isn't the only day they may be arrested for that same type of infraction, so you should account for differing time frames on their league induced penalties as well (including appeals).
Quote:As I said before....Goodell does not want the Jags to succeed here, so he saw that Blackmon was a stud and was a threat to us succeeding here, so he took care of that!... :whistling:

Uhhhhhh...

Blackmon's appeal was denied, so his suspension that was handed down will have to be served.

Gordon's appeal (filed later then Blackmon's appeal), which is still under "appeal", is some form of league scandal?

They are individual appeals, appealed at different times. Appeal one (Blackmon) was appealed well before appeal two (Gordon), and you think they should be finalized at the same time?

That's like expecting all players be arrested April 20th for driving under the influence. That isn't the only day they may be arrested for that same type of infraction, so you should account for differing time frames on their league induced penalties as well (including appeals).
yep .

While your point is valid, it doesn't explain the secrecy. Yes, Blackmon's appeal was denied. You say that the suspension that was handed down will have to be served. What is the suspension? That's the whole point of what I'm asking. There is so little information about what happened, and what's happened in the league process, and everyone at face value seems just fine with it. Why is that?

Hell, we know that several players failed their combine drug tests this year, and we know why. Diluted samples. Using that example, why is it that we all know next to nothing about what Blackmon did, why his suspension is what it is, and why it's different than others such as Gordon.
Blackmon's got to give Goodell a good party to attend.

Quote:While your point is valid, it doesn't explain the secrecy. Yes, Blackmon's appeal was denied. You say that the suspension that was handed down will have to be served. What is the suspension? That's the whole point of what I'm asking. There is so little information about what happened, and what's happened in the league process, and everyone at face value seems just fine with it. Why is that?

Hell, we know that several players failed their combine drug tests this year, and we know why. Diluted samples. Using that example, why is it that we all know next to nothing about what Blackmon did, why his suspension is what it is, and why it's different than others such as Gordon.

It's an indefinite suspension, just like the Pats player just reinstated after two years. Its not a conspiracy, its business as usual for a guy in the program.
Quote:It's an indefinite suspension, just like the Pats player just reinstated after two years. Its not a conspiracy, its business as usual for a guy in the program.
good point.
Quote:While your point is valid, it doesn't explain the secrecy. Yes, Blackmon's appeal was denied. You say that the suspension that was handed down will have to be served. What is the suspension? That's the whole point of what I'm asking. There is so little information about what happened, and what's happened in the league process, and everyone at face value seems just fine with it. Why is that?

I'm sure there were terms that came with the 4 game suspension such as an alcohol rehab program and drug testing. I'm guessing he has failed to comply with those terms so his suspension becomes indefinite upon compliance.

I'm thinking he is in violation of the terms of his suspension by either not participating in the rehabilitation program or refusing drug tests, thus the indefinite tag until he comes into compliance.

I imagine privacy laws prevent the league from discussing the details and Blackmon isn't making any statements.
To the OP.  You're not alone...  You're questions have been a splinter in my mind regarding Blackmon as well.  
I too dislike all the secrecy but he's not in the PED substance abuse program which is cut and dried. Indefinite suspension can mean many things with a whole host of milestones he must achieve to continue on to reinstatement. It would be nice to at least have some information about the situation from the front office. We don't even know if he's working out with a trainer. We don't know if he's attending rehab classes. It would be nice to know if a reinstatement request is coming as well.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Quote:I'm sure there were terms that came with the 4 game suspension such as an alcohol rehab program and drug testing. I'm guessing he has failed to comply with those terms so his suspension becomes indefinite upon compliance.

I'm thinking he is in violation of the terms of his suspension by either not participating in the rehabilitation program or refusing drug tests, thus the indefinite tag until he comes into compliance.

I imagine privacy laws prevent the league from discussing the details and Blackmon isn't making any statements.

You're points are well thought out, but that's also the point of Dakota...  Most times, we get some details when other players are involved.  You'd think with Blackmon, a huge commodity when he came out, would have alot of investigative reporters trying to get to the bottom of it.  But in Blackmon's situation, it's been all darkness in terms of information....  It's just...  Odd...

For whatever it's worth, he obviously has problems.  So maybe he's just taken a Ricky Williams approach and has said "bag it all" to the powers that be and the media that is sniffing around.  

But still, it's just really weird.  You'd think someone somewhere would have given some semblance of a story on this one.  I've been reading all the posts on Blackmon, and the last big hullaballooo was about his car incident late at night---which I jumped all over--- but other than that, there's no real information on what happened, and why the indefinite suspension...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10