Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags unveil new defense, introduce new "OTTO" linebacker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/5/22/5741638/explaining-46-defense-jaguars-otto-linebacker'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/5/22/5741638/explaining-46-defense-jaguars-otto-linebacker</a>

Quote:The Jacksonville Jaguars will be introducing a new position to their defense this season called the OTTO linebacker. While I doubt that it's entirely new position to the world of football, much like the LEO is a modified/renamed ELEPHANT end, it's something in the Jaguars lexicon we'll all need to be familiar with.

The Jaguars signed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Dekoda Watson in free agency, of which we thought would solidify their strong side linebacker (SAM) position, which also doubles as a pass rusher at times in Gus Bradley's defense. The Jaguars plan to use Watson as their new OTTO linebacker going forward, as well as second-year linebacker LaRoy Reynolds, according to defensive coordinator Bob Babich.

"OTTO is kind of going to be on the edge, we'd like to have some pass rush ability, in a pinch he could go down in a third-down situation to blitz him off the edge," Babich told Mark Long and Mike Dempsey in an interview with Jaguars Today on 1010XL.

"It's something that's new to us, so formulating exactly what he's gonna be. But, it's gone really well and our guys have adjusted to it and our guys are excited about it," Babich continued. "He can be strong or weak and most of the time he's going to be on the line of scrimmage, standing up."

The OTTO position sounds similar to that of the JACK linebacker in the old 46 defense, where the linebacker is up on the line of scrimmage and will either rush the passer or buzz back in coverage, which is exactly what the Jaguars signed Watson for.
I feel like Watson could be a real steal and may have a breakout year.
Very much like hearing this. :thumbsup:

It shows that Gus and the coaching staff are evolving the schemes around the personnel and thats always a good thing. 

Wait what

Quote:Very much like hearing this. :thumbsup:

It shows that Gus and the coaching staff are evolving the schemes around the personnel and thats always a good thing. 

Agree.  They're not sitting back and entrenching themselves in a predefined scheme.  They're going to build a defense around the guys they have, and they'll make it the best possible defense they can. 
Now we just need a GUS Linebacker.

Quote:Now we just need a GUS Linebacker.

What will be the icing on the cake for this defense is when they get that Earl Thomas-like Centerfielder. 
Quote:What will be the icing on the cake for this defense is when they get that Earl Thomas-like Centerfielder.

Yeah, that seems like the last thing on the D that they haven't really addressed.
Quote:Agree.  They're not sitting back and entrenching themselves in a predefined scheme.  They're going to build a defense around the guys they have, and they'll make it the best possible defense they can. 

Very interesting in that article that states we'll be running more of a Buddy Ryan 46 defense going forward....

I had the opportunity to watch a lot of that defense in its hey day and it was a very fun group. 

I'm a little surprised Gus thinks we have the personnel to execute that, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here. 

Just as a recollection, I'll list the Buddy Defense and then the Jags player at the position in teal. 

DE Reggie White Chris Clemons/ Chris Smith
, DT Jerome Brown  Sen Derrick Marks
, DT Mike Pitts Ziggy Hood?
, DE Clyde Simmons Andre Branch/ Red Bryant

LB Seth Joyner Dekota Watson, 
LB Byron Evans Paul Pozluzsny,
 LB Al Harris Telvin Smith

FS Wes Hopkins Josh Evans
, SS Andre Waters Johnathan Cyprien

CB Eric Allen Aaron Colvin (eventually) 
CB Ben Smith DeWayne Gratz

In that system, Seth Joyner was the "OTTO" if I am remembering correctly. If Dekota Watson can come close to providing Seth Joyner type performance, that will be a helluva free agent steal. 

Quote:What will be the icing on the cake for this defense is when they get that Earl Thomas-like Centerfielder.
And with the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Landon Collins, Safety, Alabama
Quote:And with the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Landon Collins, Safety, Alabama

That would be sweet! 

btw, I edited the above post 9 to include the Jags comparitive starters on the new Jags 46 defense
Quote:And with the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Landon Collins, Safety, Alabama
Isn't he more of a SS though?
With the 32nd pick in the 2015 nfl draft, the Jacksonville Jaguar select.. 

Similar to what Mike Zimmer has been using in his under Tampa 4-3 with Michael Johnson and Manny Lawson, and the role he drafted Anthony Barr to play in Minnesota. 

Ultimately I think Bradley is going to want to add more length to his LB corp, similar to what he had in Seattle.   It's just been farther down the need priority list at the moment. 

Quote:Isn't he more of a SS though?

Wes Hopkins despite being reliable in coverage was also a bit of a thumper, too. 
Quote:Wes Hopkins despite being reliable in coverage was also a bit of a thumper, too. 
cyp is like the opposite right now but i love that guy.... he's kinda a liability sometimes in coverage but hes a serious thumper... u can tell when a guy craves contact and that guy has the bug.
Quote:cyp is like the opposite right now but i love that guy.... he's kinda a liability sometimes in coverage but hes a serious thumper... u can tell when a guy craves contact and that guy has the bug.

I could see Cyprien being the "Andre Waters" on that 46. 
Quote:Isn't he more of a SS though?
He showed he can thrive at FS when Clinton Dix was suspended 2 games and he had to start. SS is his "natural" position but he is good in coverage too and for this defense the FS has to hit hard as well, look at Earl Thomas. Collins has all the tools to be a FS in our defense and the mean streak to match what we want, and with time he'll just get better in the system and be that Earl Thomas glue guy of the secondary for us.
Quote:Wes Hopkins despite being reliable in coverage was also a bit of a thumper, too. 
We need somebody who is a cover guy first, thumper second, for our single high FS.

Earl Thomas is very physical and isn't afraid to hit somebody, but he is a cover first guy. Which is what you need for that position.

Now if they're going to run a lot of Cover 2, then I'm perfectly fine with having our Free lack just a little bit in the coverage/range area. But I believe they want to mainly run a single high.

Quote:cyp is like the opposite right now but i love that guy.... he's kinda a liability sometimes in coverage but hes a serious thumper... u can tell when a guy craves contact and that guy has the bug.
Which is why he's made perfect for the SS position in this scheme. He's meant to roam around in the box, be physical, aggressive and make plays. He wont be asked to cover a whole lot.
Eric......the article states that we're moving away from the carbon copy of Seattles D to something closer to Buddy's 46. If Wes Hopkins was good enough for that, then Collins would certainly be good enough here. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5