Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Clemons AND Babin Signed - Impact on Draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Now that we have a stable of LEOs with Babin and Celmons - is there any way we don't draft Sammy Watkins #3??  Perhaps we sign a WR too, and then it's anyone's guess.  

In this years market all bets are apparently off.  I feel almost guilty with all the spending.  It's just no what the Jags do.  I keep pinching myself to make sure Dan Snider isn't posing as Shad Kahn......

Quote:Now that we have a stable of LEOs with Babin and Celmons - is there any way we don't draft Sammy Watkins #3??  Perhaps we sign a WR too, and then it's anyone's guess.  

In this years market all bets are apparently off.  I feel almost guilty with all the spending.  It's just no what the Jags do.  I keep pinching myself to make sure Dan Snider isn't posing as Shad Kahn......

Caldwell is smart he'll never let old guys on the roster affect his decisions about the draft.

Additionally if he's good at his job he'll never take anyone short of a Megatron/Randy Moss talent in the top 5 at WR.
No impact. You can never have enough pass rushers. See Seattle.
I would hope singing a 33 and 34 year old wouldn't detour Dave from getting a Clowney or Mack.
Hello Teddy.
It seems like Mack is not the guy, but who knows.
Quote:It seems like Mack is not the guy, but who knows.

I would think this will be the pick....

Can learn the Leo position from Clemons/Babin while still being on the field as a LB.

Once Clemons/Babin retire/cut Mack steps into the Leo role unless another player steps in.
Quote:It seems like Mack is not the guy, but who knows.

To me Mack is a better OLB rather than a LEO, but that's just IMO. I could see him as a 2nd LEO on pass situations in a rotation of Babin, Clemons, Branch, and himself to keep guys fresh. 

And as our OLB in our base 4-3 set.

Quote:I would hope singing a 33 and 34 year old wouldn't detour Dave from getting a Clowney or Mack.

No, but maybe they address it later than we think or trade back.  Just playing devil's advocate.  I actually think they may trade up in some cases.  The bottom of the roster was ok.  The middle just got a complete makeover in FA. Now we need a few potential stars in the draft.

If the team has Clowney on their draft board, I would hope that signing a pair of DEs in their 30's wouldn't prevent that pick from being made.

Allows DC to have draft flexibility in order to draft the best available player.

Doesn't change much.  Only protects our butt if we don't find a good pass rusher in the draft.

Quote:If the team has Clowney on their draft board, I would hope that signing a pair of DEs in their 30's wouldn't prevent that pick from being made.

It wouldn't affect selecting a player like that (should he drop to 3). But it might affect selecting a lesser round DE in lieu for another position of need. 

Quote:Allows DC to have draft flexibility in order to draft the best available player.
I was going to post almost the exact same thing...

All these moves give us depth to complement the best player available.
None. Theyre not gonna pass up on a rare talent in Clowney because of two LEOs over 31. Mack plays a different position. QB is still the most likely if they believe in one. 

When your objective is to add the best available players, it impacts nothing at all.

Quote:It wouldn't affect selecting a player like that (should he drop to 3). But it might affect selecting a lesser round DE in lieu for another position of need. 

If Clowney is there you grab him but this will be something to watch in 2nd/3rd rounds...

Say in 2nd round:  Dee Ford/Crichton are on the board but so is Sua'Filo/Gabe Jackson...
Quote:Doesn't change much. Only protects our butt if we don't find a good pass rusher in the draft.

This.
Quote:When your objective is to add the best available players, it impacts nothing at all.

Caldwell doesn't adhere to strictly BAP (in draft). He admitted in the past to being a needs based drafter, at least in part. 

Quote:It wouldn't affect selecting a player like that (should he drop to 3). But it might affect selecting a lesser round DE in lieu for another position of need. 
I think it'd make Caldwell even more likely to take a late-round DE if one's there. Clemons and Babin allow that player the luxury of time to develop into something.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5