Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags to pass on QB in first round per sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
per rotoworld: 

A league source tells the Florida Times Union that the Jaguars are unlikely to use a first-round pick on a quarterback after re-signing Chad Henne to a two-year contract on Friday.

There is increasing chatter that quarterbacks are going to fall in the draft, and the slides could be expedited if QB-needy teams like Jacksonville suddenly pull out of the derby. Of course, this is Lying Season in the NFL, making it difficult to trust anonymous "league sources." Stated the source, "With Henne back, I don't expect them to take QB until 2nd round and maybe not until 3rd or 4th round." It's worth noting that the source's quarterback expectation would be similar to the path that led the Seahawks to Russell Wilson. Gus Bradley was Seattle's defensive coordinator at the time. He's now the Jaguars' head coach.
It was obvious when DiRocco reported this a couple of days ago. Jaguars are looking for an impact player, pass rusher, Clowney or Mack.

Its possible but then again the Jags could be trying dissuade a team from trading up to the Rams for a qb that they like so they could avert a bidding war and eat up more assets than what we would live

Is Caldwell tipping his hand again? I thought it was Teddy or clowney he made so obvious a couple of days back
Why a team that knows it's not taking a QB high would fight to sign a guy who has never posted a passer rating 80 or higher for a season is beyond me.

I know the free agency QB pickings are slim, but there are definitely guys that will come free that could have been brought in to put up a better fight than Henne.

I'd be very happy with Clowney or Mack in the 1st with Murray, McCarron, Boyd or Mettenberger in the later rounds..

Quote:Is Caldwell tipping his hand again? I thought it was Teddy or clowney he made so obvious a couple of days back
We're taking Teddy if he's there, but he won't be.
Quote:Is Caldwell tipping his hand again? I thought it was Teddy or clowney he made so obvious a couple of days back
Its a game, Easy way to dissuade teams from trading up is to sign a vet who is at best a spot starter and claim your not interested in this years crop

Quote:I'd be very happy with Clowney or Mack in the 1st with Murray, McCarron, Boyd or Mettenberger in the later rounds..

Boyd sucks.
Quote:We're taking Teddy if he's there, but he won't be.
All depends on the pro day, if he wows scouts with his arm, he probably won't be
Quote:I'd be very happy with Clowney or Mack in the 1st with Murray, McCarron, Boyd or Mettenberger in the later rounds..

This. If they truly aren't going QB in the first then I hope they pick either Clowney, Mack, or Watkins and trading down a few picks to get Mack or Watkins would be real nice. Then either pick up one of the QBs if they fall or wait a bit later and get a Murray/McCarron.
No one expects Henne to be anything but a bridge or backup, not the franchise QB. The "league source" is trying too hard to read into the Henne signing and it's impact on the draft. All teams need a starting and a backup QB. Unless you hear it directly from Caldwell or Bradley, it should not be believed as anything but hearsay or rumor.
Murray gets jittery in the big moments

McCarron gets jittery when things don't go his way

Boyd is just plain garbage

Mettenberger is a statue and gets jittery under the rush
Quote:Murray gets jittery in the big moments

McCarron gets jittery when things don't go his way

Boyd is just plain garbage

Mettenberger is a statue and gets jittery under the rush

Then fork over billions of dollars, buy the team and draft your QB..
smh another example of Caldwell showing his cards

I feel like Mack is gonna be the pick

Quote:I feel like Mack is gonna be the pick

Biggest boom or bust pick in this draft. Riskiest player in the draft in my opinion.
Quote:Biggest boom or bust pick in this draft. Riskiest player in the draft in my opinion.
Think you mean Manziel or Clowney
Quote:Its a game, Easy way to dissuade teams from trading up is to sign a vet who is at best a spot starter and claim your not interested in this years crop

To this I agree even though I want the Henne signing to be as a mentor...

NH3...
Quote:I feel like Mack is gonna be the pick

He's gonna be a beast.  Only red flag is the level of competition he played against.  . 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8