Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We have been too tough on Henne.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I'm not trolling and i'm not saying he should start next year, but let's think about what he had to work with.. a terrible O line, no RB, 1 good WR and a bunch of rookies/UDFAs under a rookie HC and OC. I hope we keep him around as a back up, because it's clear to me at least that he's not nearly as bad as we've made him out to be, now obviously he isn't "the guy" and is not a franchise QB, but he's definitely a more serviceable backup than Gabbert or Stanzi.

He's an okay back up, but he could also easily be upgraded.

Quote:I'm not trolling and i'm not saying he should start next year, but let's think about what he had to work with.. a terrible O line, no RB, 1 good WR and a bunch of rookies/UDFAs under a rookie HC and OC. I hope we keep him around as a back up, because it's clear to me at least that he's not nearly as bad as we've made him out to be, now obviously he isn't "the guy" and is not a franchise QB, but he's definitely a more serviceable backup than Gabbert or Stanzi.

Does it really matter who the backup is? The team is probably losing if Gabbert or Henne is in the game. Your mancrush on Henne is showing, he's not even worth making more threads about.
Is Henne good? No. Is Henne as bad as some make him out to be? No, but he's a below average QB who makes a pretty good back up.

We've won 6 games in two years with Henne starting most of them Too tough on him? Nah.
Quote:Does it really matter who the backup is? The team is probably losing if Gabbert or Henne is in the game. Your mancrush on Henne is showing, he's not even worth making more threads about.
How do I have a man crush? I bashed him all year just like everyone else but you can't honestly say he had a fair chance with what he had to work with.. Sure his numbers are bad but we've seen a lot worse EX Gabbert
Quote:I'm not trolling and i'm not saying he should start next year, but let's think about what he had to work with.. a terrible O line, no RB, 1 good WR and a bunch of rookies/UDFAs under a rookie HC and OC. I hope we keep him around as a back up, because it's clear to me at least that he's not nearly as bad as we've made him out to be, now obviously he isn't "the guy" and is not a franchise QB, but he's definitely a more serviceable backup than Gabbert or Stanzi.

Did you watch him at Miami?? What you see is what you got. Enuff with the excuses. 
Henne gave us exactly what he is.. Back up play from a back up QB..

We used to be too tough on David Garrard for mostly the same reasons (granted, he always had a good running game), and he put up much better results than Henne with less talent at WR.  Henne's lone accomplishment for the Jags is being slightly better than Blaine Gabbert.  The criticism of Henne is fair.

Thing I like about Henne is he CAN put together a big game, usually in tandem with Blackmon. With gabbert you know you're in for a whole day of dink dunk and 3 and outs. I've said this since Henne has been here but many here still thought Gabbert gave us a better chance at winning until a few games in to last season. What did they see? I still have no clue.
Henne has played with the two worst rosters in Jaguar history. He is better than most here give him credit for. Mostly by the same crowd that thinks getting a new QB will solve every problem with the Jags and magically propel them to the superbowl next year.

It's the typical cast of characters, and they're not hard to spot.

Quote:Henne has played with the two worst rosters in Jaguar history. He is better than most here give him credit for. Mostly by the same crowd that thinks getting a new QB will solve every problem with the Jags and magically propel them to the superbowl next year.

It's the typical cast of characters, and they're not hard to spot.
Don't get me wrong I still want another QB and by no means do I think Henne is a "great" QB, I think in the right system he could succeed and certainly as a backup. 
Henne is awful. Sorry bro.

Quote:We've won 6 games in two years with Henne starting most of them Too tough on him? Nah.

On the other hand, of the games we have won, he's started.  The team's been pretty horrible overall the last few years.  This sounds like a classic case of the QB getting to much credit/blame for the win/loss record.  Look, he's not the guy we want as a permanent starter, but he's a great backup and can be a good mentor to the new guy coming in.  If anyone thinks he's not good fit for that role, I'd like to know who they'd prefer.
i for one, am SO ready for the "chad and lame" show to be over, done, finne', kaput!

If I see those two on the field again....I'll head for the MODIS...or whatever it is these days. :woot:

We've seen from Henne what they saw in Miami. He's inconsistent. He'll look good for 8 throws, and just when you think he's a good QB, he'll throw a pick or miss the receiver badly (and you remember why Miami let him go).
There are about 31 teams he wouldn't start for. He has never thrown 16 TDs in a season. He stinks on ice, regardless of his supporting cast. You could put him in Chip Kelly's offense and he still wouldn't get to 20 TDs. Being too hard? No. Being honest with ourselves. Yup. Why do these threads keep popping up. He's doo doo. Your eyes don't deceive you.

Everything you just said about Henne could be applied to Gabbert...just saying.  Add to the fact the last two years, Gabbert started the first half of the season (when every player had to learn a brand new offense, so by the time Henne was inserted into the lineup, every player was feeling more comfortable about the offense compared to week one...again, just saying.
I really don't even want him as a backup because once you put him in the game you don't know which Henne you're gonna get.

You either get Henne that looks like he could be a good starter or Henne that's gonna just throw awful passes. .
Quote:He's an okay back up, but he could also easily be upgraded.

I wouldn't say "easily" here.  We don't know for sure what our options are going to be, and I don't see any rookie being an immediate upgrade at this point. Henne is a solid backup, and worth retaining because of his familiarity with the system and the personnel.  I think he's handled the situation really well considering the overall lack of quality surrounding him on the field.  Not to say an upgrade in the talent will suddenly make him a legitimate starter, but it certainly wouldn't hurt his ability to be more productive.  He certainly showed he was more capable of getting more out of less than Gabbert last season. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8