Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is our QB next year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I'm officially off the "tank" bandwagon. After watching the team this Thursday I came away a changed man (FBT also wrote a great post). I think Gus is building a culture of winning and that IS more important long term than playing for draft position; for the benefit of not only the organization but more importantly the fans. Still, I cannot deny the QB situation scares me. Do you guys think we will spend and get a guy like Cutler, continue with Henne and play the waiting game, or do we draft someone (who?) The next couple of months should be very interesting. 

I think we draft someone in the first or second at QB and perhaps bring in another stop gap who could actually win. If we can win inspite of Henne I'm sure we can win with someone else.
I'll root for the team and hope they improve the QB position.  Not that Henne is playing bad but he isn't exactly building up my confidence in his overall abilities.

Two words.

Ricky Stanzi.

Quote:Two words.

Ricky Stanzi.

Two words.

Won't happen.

Who do you think you are? A comedian or something?  :mellow:

The "culture of winning" is a complete bs argument if you ask me. You get better as a team by getting talented players, and good coaching. We have the coaching, now we need the talent.

Winning games this year has no effect at all on what happens next year.
Quote:The "culture of winning" is a complete [BAD WORD REMOVED] argument if you ask me. You get better as a team by getting talented players, and good coaching. We have the coaching, now we need the talent.

Winning games this year has no effect at all on what happens next year.
Not true.

If the rookies this year get used to losing, it hurts confidence and it hurts progression.
Quote:Not true.

If the rookies this year get used to losing, it hurts confidence and it hurts progression.

This is exactly the thinking i dont agree with. Doesnt make sense on any level for me.

Theyre not going to give up on getting better because Chad Henne sucks (the reason were losing so much).
What do you guys think of Blake Bortles?

McShay says he's the second best QB in the draft. Here is an article on him: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013...draft-pool

Quote:This is exactly the thinking i dont agree with. Doesnt make sense on any level for me.

Theyre not going to give up on getting better because Chad Henne sucks (the reason were losing so much).
And Chad Henne won't be the starter next year.

Progress from the players we have is the most important thing, then building on that with a solid draft no matter the position. Plenty of teams have good drafts no matter if they pick 1 or 32.

If players like Cyprien and Gratz are being burned every week and giving up 40 points and Ace isn't contributing to putting points on the board then we've just wasted another draft. While those guys are performing better every week the team will do better and with that comes wins.

If this was an old team with a lot of guys who are heading for free agency next year, then these would be meaningless wins right now, as it stands these wins are very important as some of these young guys are the future cornerstone of the franchise.

Edit: As for the original question, nobody knows that right now obviously. I can't see how we don't draft a QB. I'd like us to build an awesome D though so I'd happily wait until the second or third for a QB if we can get a vet in FA and grab a potentially great D player in the first. I don't think we'll be in a position to draft Bridgewater or Clowney however.

Who will be the QB?   18 million dollar question.   I really think the Jags will take one with their pick in the first round unless Carr and Manziel are gone.  

If they think they can move down in the first and take McCarron - I think that's a possibility too. 

Hundley is a possibility early-ish in the second round and Garroppolo or Fales could be there early 3rd. 

Lots can happen to shake this all up before the draft - so we'll have to wait and see, but those are my most likely scenarios.  I  kinda think moving down in the first to take McCarron would be cool if Carr and Manziel are off the board when they pick, but I don't have a strong opinion on any of these QBs  - and  I have a feeling Caldwell will get a guy he believes in  - and that works for me at this point.  I don't like to get riled up over who our GM picks until after we see them in the NFL. Too much wasted energy and I've got enough to worry about. 
Cutler will get the franchise tag in Chicago I think.

I honestly hope we get Barr with our first round pick and then take the best QB available in the 2nd. I don't want Henne or Gabbert back next year so really anyone besides those 2 knuckle heads.
Quote:I'm officially off the "tank" bandwagon. After watching the team this Thursday I came away a changed man (FBT also wrote a great post). I think Gus is building a culture of winning and that IS more important long term than playing for draft position; for the benefit of not only the organization but more importantly the fans. Still, I cannot deny the QB situation scares me. Do you guys think we will spend and get a guy like Cutler, continue with Henne and play the waiting game, or do we draft someone (who?) The next couple of months should be very interesting. 

This winning stretch has knocked a few of us "tankers" back to reality. I do not want the Jags to tank anymore either. 

That said, I really don't know what QB I want at this point, being that Teddy is pretty much out of the question. 
Quote:What do you guys think of Blake Bortles?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013...draft-pool

McShay is horrible. If anything, now I feel less positive towards Bortles. lol
Quote:What do you guys think of Blake Bortles?

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool'>http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool</a>
As a UCF fan, Bortles would be my favorite QB in the draft if he were to enter. I think he stays in school though.

As I posted in another thread, at least one person (Brian Griese) has Bortles ranked as their top draft eligible QB.
I'd be more than happy with giving Cutler a chance, and drafting a guy like Fales to develop in the third or later.. that way we could be competitive now and build for the future. 

Quote:I'd be more than happy with giving Cutler a chance, and drafting a guy like Fales to develop in the third or later.. that way we could be competitive now and build for the future. 
The issue i have with Cutler is, Gus is trying to build a positive attitude here. While he is an pretty good (not great) qb, his attitude sucks.

Tbh I really don't know what QB I would take, but there's a few of them i've been reading descriptions on, and any of them that say "potential" and "developmental but has all the attributes" scare the hell out of me. All that sounds like to me is BG -2.0 and we really can't afford that. If we take a risk on a QB who has potential I'd rather take a total risk and go with someone like Manziel  or the QB from baylor Bryce petty if he comes out. But IMO Mettenburger as a pocket passer, which i think caldwell will want would probably be our best bet, and i wouldn't be suprised if, given his draft stock not rising too much, if we go with someone like Barr in the first, then snag our qb in the second or trade up to the back of the first round to grab him. Then maybe use one of our picks from the Monroe trade and grab another QB like Murray from Georgia if he drops to much.

TL;DR stop taking risks on potential and take a risk on the "big play" qb.

Quote: 

stop taking risks on potential and take a risk on the "big play" qb.

Couldn't have said this any better. :thumbsup: 
Quote:As a UCF fan, Bortles would be my favorite QB in the draft if he were to enter. I think he stays in school though.

As I posted in another thread, at least one person (Brian Griese) has Bortles ranked as their top draft eligible QB.
He is probably coming out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-comebacks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11