Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Bills Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now whatever slim hopes we had of avoiding a losing season are officially gone.  My thoughts...

1.  I have no problems admitting the Jaguars are not a very good team.  Anyone who has read my posts this year can attest to this. In the picks thread in the AFCS forum, I picked the Bills to win this game.   But my ire is reserved for easily the most deserving unit:  the officials.  The disparate treatment of the two teams by the officials offends traditional notions of fair play and without question cost the Jaguars this game. This was the most egregiously anti Jaguars officiating seen since the opening week game, where-after the fact- the NFL acknowledged some 16 blown calls that all went against the Jaguars.  The first half fumble that was conveniently ruled down due to forward progress was bad enough on its own.  But there were other equally egregious applications of the rules that cost the team in the second half.  The first was a pass interference call that negated Gipson's INT.  There were two things that made that call particularly bad.  First, there was virtually no contact on the play.  Secondly, the pass was clearly uncatchable, as it was overthrown by several yards.  The receiver didn't even bother to jump for the ball.  As bad as that penalty was, it was made even worse by the P.I. NOT called when Allen Robinson was absolutely mauled by the Bills DB later in the half.  Combined, the selective application/enforcement of the pass interference "rules" leaves me to wonder if there is actually any written rule on that subject at all.  It seems to me officials have the liberty to apply it as they see fit, depending on the outcome they want.  Finally, I'm mystified as to how a player who first steps out of bounds and then is knocked out of bounds completely does not trigger a stoppage of the clock, which cost the Jaguars their last time out.  The NFL has, once again, surrendered any and all pretense of objectivity with the horrid officiating witnessed today.  Even the Bills fans are admitting we got screwed.  http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...the-screws

2.  While Bortles' stats will seem pedestrian, to me this was one of the three best games he had this year.  This game, the Indy game, and the week one game against the Packers are the three games where he looked like Bortles from last year throwing the ball.  Bortles seemed confident and decisive in his throws, and they didn't seem to flutter hopelessly as they had so many times this season.  Had Hurns held onto a deep pass down the sideline, combined with the penalties outlined above, this game could have had a different outcome.

3.  It's too bad Ivory got hurt, because when he was in, the running game performed well, almost running at will.  Yeldon and Robinson had some decent runs, and Bortles' scrambles certainly bolstered the offense overall and rushing stats.  But his fumble aside, Ivory had this running game going.  I hope he is okay.  We will need his physicality the next couple of weeks.

4.  I have to give kudos to the defense, especially in the first half.  That was one of the most impressive displays of football overall this side of the ball had in years.  They stifled one of the best rushing offenses and generated plenty of pass rush.  Even Tyson Alualu made his presence known in some positive ways in the first half.  The second half, the team was hit with some big plays.  In post game, FT placed blame on McCoy's long run on Gipson and Ramsey, and naturally I defer to his analysis over mine, but it appeared to me Alualu also bears some responsibility by being moved out of his gap.  The scoreboard shows 28 points surrendered, but overall the defense played well.

5.  There were good contributions made by some backups, especially on the offensive side.  Koyack, Sterling, and Reed all played pretty well against a pretty good defense.  Yeldon and Denard Robinson also had their moments.

6.  Once again, special teams play hurt this team in a major way.  The long punt return allowed set up the Bills first TD right before half.  There were two different illegal formation penalties on the punt cover team that gave the Bills 10 more yards, and the mishandling of punts continued.  When the book is closed on the Bradley era here, a major chapter on his failures needs to be devoted to the special teams.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A)  Jalen Ramsey-had a couple of impressive tackles in run support early, but was beaten for a TD (maybe two), and also on a deep pass to Watkins.  On the Watkins play, he had good coverage, but was pushed off at the end on another play conveniently missed by the refs.

B)  Myles Jack-Seemed to get good playing time.  He stuck out to me on a couple of plays.  He was at Sam on the left side of the defense and held up pretty well at the point of attack.  On another play, he contained a scramble by Tyrod Taylor.  Many have been saying this all year, but he needs more playing time.

C)  Yannick Ngakoue-Had an outstanding game against a good LT in Cordy Glenn.  He beat Glenn for a sack in the first half, and had a couple of other pressures.

D)  Sheldon Day-did not stand out much to me

E)  Brandon Allen-DNP

8.  After being ejected from the Raiders game, Malik Jackson said he will apologize to his teammates by his play.  He has kept his word, because since then he has played some very good football, especially over the past two weeks.  Today, IIRC, he registered a sack.  Dante Fowler had a decent showing as well, getting some pressure and, for the 2nd week in a row, no stupid penalties.

9.  Speaking of stupid penalties, was anyone else ready to explode had the defense jumped off sides this week when Manuel was in the game?

10.  Bottom line:  This team has been so bad for so long, I've been numb to ambivalent after many of the losses.  But this game left me particularly rankled, because overall the team played well.  Ultimately, the officiating and not so special teams betrayed this team again.

Disagree
I'm not a big X's and O's guy. So usually it's just big picture stuff that drives me crazy.  Time outs are valuable, and twice today we lost timeouts because we were not ready to play when the clock hit 0. And that is not counting once when it went to 0 and was somehow missed by the refs, and once when they should have called time out. (4th and 4) And we see it all the time. It just never gets fixed.

And Denard was driving me crazy today.  Time after time he just dives straight into a pile of bodies instead of trying to take it outside.  If Ivory is out and Yeldon is banged up, why not give Grant at least a couple carries?  Try things.....

And lastly, when we got the ball back with 6:44 left, for God's sake show some urgency.  You have to go hurry up at that point. Time is critical at that point. I'm screaming at them to hurry as they huddle up and take their sweet time. 

We didnt play good enough to win. Nothing new in the Bradley era. That is all.
Thanks for the well thought out thread as always. I mostly agree but I am numb to the refs. I never expect us to get calls even when it is blatant. This team is going to need to play above expectations and not need it to be helped by flags.

I am continually shocked that we never have a defensive player anywhere near tipped balls. They showed that Poz leads the team with one interception. 

Quote:We didnt play good enough to win. Nothing new in the Bradley era. That is all.
If that fumble ant that INT are allowed to stand, what is the analysis then?
Well put

Not a popular opinion around here I'm sure but I think this team is VERY close to being quite good. All we need is a leader that will discipline these guys and coach them hard. This rah rah player-friendly coach stuff is BS. We need a hardass.
Exactly. Even our message board is soft. I used initials and another word that is allowed in PG-13 movies and it was censored.
Quote:If that fumble ant that INT are allowed to stand, what is the analysis then?
We would have found another way to snatch defeat from victory.  The Gus error needs to end. Outside the record, every week they show stats that baffle me. When was the last time we had a package of highlights?  We had one Buffalo highlight on the game recap shows.
Quote:If that fumble ant that INT are allowed to stand, what is the analysis then?
If If's and buts.....

It doesn't matter. They weren't called and the Jags lost.
Quote:Exactly. Even our message board is soft. I used initials and another word that is allowed in PG-13 movies and it was censored.

It's family friendly. You know, cause there are a ton of kids using this Jaguars message board in the middle of nowhere in cyber space.
I hope Blake can build on this game. I hope the oline continues to improve.  The pass protection was very good today.

Quote:I hope Blake can build on this game. I hope the oline continues to improve.  The pass protection was very good today.
Agreed on both counts.

Linder was beaten by Dareus on what seemed to be an aberrational type play considering how off balance Linder was on the play.  But overall I was pleased with the OL.
Quote: 

Yannick Ngakoue-Had an outstanding game against a good LT in Cordy Glenn.  He beat Glenn for a sack in the first half, and had a couple of other pressures.

This jumped out to me as the most positive development for the Jaguars today. 

Yannick Ngakoue will probably be getting increased blocking attention moving forward but he looks like a piece to the Jaguars long term future.   Realistically,  a key piece.   In some ways,   including size and the round Ngakoue was drafted in,  he reminds me of a young RDE version of LDE Cliff Avril.  

1. Why is Denard Robinson still employed? I feel like we have nothing behind Yeldon and Ivory (and not too much with either of those 2). I'm getting tired of seeing teams with their 3rd string running back kicking butt.

2. Hackett is a hack. Play calling is terrible. If you go for it on 4th and 9, you better have something better than a 5 yard pass. Offense is still limping like a crippled beggar.

3. The positional coaches are not doing their jobs. I think there is enough talent on this team to have more than 2 wins. Time to stop calling out players and make positional coaches accountable. It starts there. Do your job!
Team still sucks, defense looked ok against a bottom of the league QB 

1. Blake was pedestrian throwing the ball today, it was one of his 3 best games on the year, and it was good enough to win today. Not too much to complain about with him this week. We said baby steps after the Colts and Bears wins though, and then he imploded again so I'm not getting my hopes up this time. 

2. After virtually every loss there are threads with fandom blinded people whining about the refs blowing the game for the Jags. Almost always this isn't true and is just putting a couple bad calls under a microscope while ignoring bad calls that went in the Jags favor plus the other 90% of the game that wasn't impacted by the refs. This week, however, the refs truly did cost us the game. I can think of at least 6 plays off the top of my head that severely impacted the game, whereas I can't think of many close calls that went the other direction. 

3. Another legitimate pass rusher with our top 5 pick to put on the other side of Yannick, along with Malik up the middle, will make for a terrifying pass rush. Could easily replicate something pretty similar to what Denver is doing. 

It was an exciting game.  However gus still got to go. 

Quote:I hope Blake can build on this game. I hope the oline continues to improve. The pass protection was very good today.

He was pretty pedestrian passing wise. To the tune of 126 yards passing. He didn't make any boneheaded passes though and was a victim of a few drops.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6