Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Next Year Will Be A Big Year For Us In Free Agency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Currently, we have over 27 million dollars in dead money added to this year's salary cap which brings us near the cap.  Next year all of that money will be coming off and I think its pretty obvious what will be done by the Jaguars.

The numbers to know:

Tentative 2014 Team Salary: Approx 90 million

Tentative 2014 Salary Floor: Approx 110 million

Tentative 2014 Salary Cap: Approx 124 million

We will have at a guaranteed 20-34 million in cap spending next offseason.

The only people who need resigned really are Eugene Monroe and maybe a Cecil Shorts III extension.  Even if we do flat contracts, which we should, that's likely 9-12 million off next years salary cap.  Even after miscellaneous roster fluff and rookie contracts, we could still sign 2-3 moderate level contracts if we are only going to spend a few million over the floor.

Now, where it could get pretty interesting is if Dave decides to further gut this roster of bad contracts.

Say we cut:

Paul Posluszny:  Base: 7,450,000  Dead: 4,000,000

Uche Nwaneri:    Base: 3,775,000  Dead: 2,189,000

Marcedes Lewis: Base: 6,700,000  Dead: 2,800,000

Jason Babin:       Base: 6,000,000  Dead: 0,000,000

Jeremy Mincey:   Base: 4,475,000  Dead: 4,000,000

Russell Allen:       Base: 1,975,000  Dead: 416,667

Total Salary: 30,375,000  Total Dead Money: 13,405,667

For a total savings on next year's cap of 16,969,333.  We would save 17 million dollars on next year's cap which could be spent rebuilding and we would also be out from bad contracts.  That would put us with 37-51 million dollars to spend next season minus resignings. 

Just some things I would do with the money next season.

Extend Monroe to a flat contract of approximately 8 million per year.

Extend Shorts to a flat contract of approximately 4 million per year.

Sign RB Ben Tate to a flat contract of approximately 4 million per year.

Sign TE Jermichael Finley to a contract of approximately 4 million per year.

Sign OC Alex Mack to a contract of approximately 5 million per year.

Sign OG Wade Smith to a contract of approximately 3 million per year.

Sign DE Greg Hardy to a contract of approximately 8 million per year.

Sign OLB Brian Orakpo to a contract of approximately 8 million per year.

Sign MLB Brandon Spikes to a contract of approximately 4 million per year.

1st Round: QB Teddy Bridgewater

2nd Round: OG Xavier Su'a Filo

3rd Round: RB Bishop Sankey

4th Round: LB Max Bullough

5th Round: QB Blake Bortles

5th Round: DE Dominque Easley

6th Round: CB Keith McGill

7th Round: OLB Brandon Watts

*I know I took some of them a little early, but we honestly have no idea where the draft will ultimately shake up this early.*

QB - Teddy Bridgewater

RB - Ben Tate

FB - Will Ta'ufo'ou

WR1 - Cecil Shorts III

WR2 - Justin Blackmon

TE - Jermichael Finley

LT - Eugene Monroe

LG - Wade Smith

C - Alex Mack

RG - Xavier Su'a Filo

RT - Luke Joeckel

DE - Greg Hardy

DT - Sen'Derrick Marks

DT - Roy Miller

DE - Tyson Alualu / Dominque Easley

OLB - Brian Orakpo

MLB - Brandon Spikes / Max Bullough

OLB - Max Bullough / Geno Hayes

CB - Dwayne Gratz

CB - Alan Ball / Will Blackmon

SS - Jonathan Cyprien

FS - Dwight Lowery

The following year we would have the 13.4 million dead money come off the books for cap flexibility in the future.

We can be competitive next year with a shot of the playoffs and a perennial contender within 2-3 years.
Not going to happen. Caldwell is building through the draft because thats how you build successful teams for the long haul. He isn't going to go out and blow 8mil+ on guys like Orakpo and Hardy. 

That's part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Bad drafts and overpriced average free agents. 

"Next Year Will Be A Big Year For Us In Free Agency"  Sorry guy our savvy business man owner not going to waste money on cap to win a game or two more.  I only see that happening if we get a new Franchise qb

All those free agents are probably going to get more than you pencilled them in for.

Quote:Not going to happen. Caldwell is building through the draft because thats how you build successful teams for the long haul. He isn't going to go out and blow 8mil+ on guys like Orakpo and Hardy. 

That's part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Bad drafts and overpriced average free agents. 

He is going to spend some money in free agency and going after young free agents is smart.
Quote:All those free agents are probably going to get more than you pencilled them in for.

Maybe, but that's about what players of similar caliber are going for in free agency right now.  Maybe Hardy makes more depending on how this season finishes out for him.
Quote:Not going to happen. Caldwell is building through the draft because thats how you build successful teams for the long haul. He isn't going to go out and blow 8mil+ on guys like Orakpo and Hardy. 

Orakpo and Hardy are young, ascending players with big time production.

You can't ONLY build through the draft.  Like I said, the cap floor next year is at 110 and we are sitting at 90 million.  We HAVE to spend AT LEAST 20 million. 
Besides the Hardy and Orakpo signings, I like what you picked out for us in FA.

I hope we do utilize FA a little for our pathetic offensive line. I'd like someone that is a proven talent in this league to come in instead of taking a risk at some 3rd round dude that might be straight garbage.

My only hope after this season is that Caldwell and Bradley told Kahn "look we're going to be terrible this year, save your money for next year" but I just can't see any HC having a mentality like that.  These guys are born competitors and have been winners at everything they've done thier whole life.  I can't see that conversation going down.

Quote:My only hope after this season is that Caldwell and Bradley told Kahn "look we're going to be terrible this year, save your money for next year" but I just can't see any HC having a mentality like that.  These guys are born competitors and have been winners at everything they've done thier whole life.  I can't see that conversation going down.

This year was a throwaway year.  They decided they would purge all bad contracts and that process cost us our entire salary cap this year.  Next year we are in decent shape, and if we purge the contracts I suggested, we will be in an amazing position to improve.
Quote:Orakpo and Hardy are young, ascending players with big time production.

You can't ONLY build through the draft.  Like I said, the cap floor next year is at 110 and we are sitting at 90 million.  We HAVE to spend AT LEAST 20 million. 

You only build through the draft (with the exception of cheap signings like Marks etc) until you get the major pieces through the draft like DE, QB, CB, etc. Once you get the major pieces in place, you use FA to patch some holes. You don't blow tens of millions of dollars on free agents coming off an 2-14/1-15/0-16 season. It just doesn't happen.

I don't know why you're pencilling in Orakpo as a 4-3 OLB either when he's a 3-4 pass rusher.  

lol jermichael finley

nice work though  :thumbsup:

Just about none of those guys will hit the open market next year. You don't think those players teams will want to resign them?

Not to mention the fact that we will likely have to overpay to even have a realistic shot at bringing them here.
I would be happy with this.. which means it wont happen 

Quote:Just about none of those guys will hit the open market next year. You don't think those players teams will want to resign them?

Not to mention the fact that we will likely have to overpay to even have a realistic shot at bringing them here.

Maybe, but you could say that about almost every player who's contract expires.  Obviously, other players would be signed instead.
Quote:You only build through the draft (with the exception of cheap signings like Marks etc) until you get the major pieces through the draft like DE, QB, CB, etc. Once you get the major pieces in place, you use FA to patch some holes. You don't blow tens of millions of dollars on free agents coming off an 2-14/1-15/0-16 season. It just doesn't happen.

I don't know why you're pencilling in Orakpo as a 4-3 OLB either when he's a 3-4 pass rusher.  

We are REQUIRED to spend 20 million dollars next year.  If we made those cuts we would be REQUIRED to spend 37 million dollars.  REQUIRED.  Required.  required.

I hope we go crazy in FA next year as we NEED talent on this team. For everyone who is going to reply to me saying that FA isn't worth it just take a look at Denver and Kansas City right now. Both of them did build through the draft, but they also made sure to bring in the necessary talent that would help their teams succeed in the long run. I still to this day do not understand why we did not go after Peyton Manning in free agency when we had the chance.

Quote:We are REQUIRED to spend 20 million dollars next year.  If we made those cuts we would be REQUIRED to spend 37 million dollars.  REQUIRED.  Required.  required.
Let's give Marcedes a raise! Big Grin
I would be happy if we got the center, guard and Tate in FA, drafted Teddy and a guard 1-2. Drop Babin, Mincey and Nwaneri, maybe drop Poz and add another MLB. Then go defense with the rest of the draft. Year after that we can try to address the pass rush early in the draft.

I think that's pretty reasonable. We HAVE to shore up that interior line, and we'll need a decen RB. I don't think we can expect to add more than one defensive starter if any in addition to that though. 

Quote:We are REQUIRED to spend 20 million dollars next year.  If we made those cuts we would be REQUIRED to spend 37 million dollars.  REQUIRED.  Required.  required.

Monroe eats up a big chunk.

Bridgewater eats up a sizable chunk (Luck got $22.1M over 4 years)

The second round pick eats up about $1M in cap space

He will sign some other small or moderately small pieces in areas of need and we'll reach the $20M before you know it. 

I'm thinking a decent guard and Tate will be the big signings. There isn't going to be Orakpo in our future; you're dreaming. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5