Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Make an arguement on why Caldwell should stay.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Why he should not:

1. Gus Bradley:   He not only hired Bradley but decided after last season to give him another shot.

2. Blake Bortles:  A GM is defined by his QB.  When our QB can't do basic nfl throws it's over.

3. Talent:  With all of the high draft picks the team is still lacking in talent.  QB, Offensive line, Defensive line, are all below average.  The oline has allowed a sack in over 23 straight games while the Defensive line can't buy a sack.

4. Free Agency:  He has been just terrible in free agency.  I really can't think of one he has signed aside  from Jackson that has really helped the team.

The only defense would be that he provided the necessary talent and coaching didn't develop it or utilize it correctly.
There is no argument. 

Quote:There is no argument. 
I keep reading comments on this board on why he should stay in other threads. 
Quote:Why he should not:

1. Gus Bradley:   He not only hired Bradley but decided after last season to give him another shot.

2. Blake Bortles:  A GM is defined by his QB.  When our QB can't do basic nfl throws it's over.

3. Talent:  With all of the high draft picks the team is still lacking in talent.  QB, Offensive line, Defensive line, are all below average.  The oline has allowed a sack in over 23 straight games while the Defensive line can't buy a sack.

4. Free Agency:  He has been just terrible in free agency.  I really can't think of one he has signed aside  from Jackson that has really helped the team.

No arguments from me, he hired the worst head coach of all time, and has missed on 2 (and soon to be 3) top 3 picks. He literally missed on the entire 2013 draft, he's had 4 years to build the offensive line, he's had 4 years to build a pass rush, he's failed miserably. David Caldwell might be the worst GM in the NFL.

He took a shot with an up and coming DC it didn't work out...He's not the first GM to do that and he won't be the last

It's apparent that Gus and his assistants are not great at developing QBs...Maybe Bortles is in a slump and will come out of it, maybe he won't...

That goes to show that the coaching staff is lacking in the development of players...Caldwell doesn't groom them or train/teach them, thats on coaching

Free agency is always a gamble...He's hit on a few
Quote:He took a shot with an up and coming DC it didn't work out...He's not the first GM to do that and he won't be the last

It's apparent that Gus and his assistants are not great at developing QBs...Maybe Bortles is in a slump and will come out of it, maybe he won't...

That goes to show that the coaching staff is lacking in the development of players...Caldwell doesn't groom them or train/teach them, thats on coaching

Is that you david?
Quote:Is that you david?
Yeah! How ya doing? I got your resume and frankly I find that you are not even remotely qualified to work anywhere in our organization, unless you would like to cut the grass...Thank you for applying though

Yours truly

Dave Caldwell,
Quote:The only defense would be that he provided the necessary talent and coaching didn't develop it or utilize it correctly.

This is my stance.
Quote:The only defense would be that he provided the necessary talent and coaching didn't develop it or utilize it correctly.
Thats where I'm at
I'm still in the keep Caldwell camp. I think it's too early to write off Fowler and Bortles (I'd bench Bortles for the remainder of the season though). Joeckel is bad but he was using Smith's scouts so I'll pass that one. His cap management along with John Idzik is superb.

The only thing I reeeeealy don't like is keeping Bradley around. This clown HC gets 3 OC's and 2 DC's yet we still suck.
Dave seems like an ok guy, but he poisoned the franchise and subjected the fans to the awful scourge that is Paul Casey Bradley.
Quote:I'm still in the keep Caldwell camp. I think it's too early to write off Fowler and Bortles (I'd bench Bortles for the remainder of the season though). Joeckel is bad but he was using Smith's scouts so I'll pass that one. His cap management along with John Idzik is superb.

The only thing I reeeeealy don't like is keeping Bradley around. This clown HC gets 3 OC's and 2 DC's yet we still suck.

Its too early to write off Bortles? How long is enough? Your statement on the reasoning of the selection of Joeckel is completely false, one of the first questions Shad asked Dave in the initial interview process was, "who's the best player in the 2013 draft?" David confidently said "Luke Joeckel". That had nothing to do with Gene Smiths scouting staff and everything to do with David's on assessment, which was clearly off.
Change the title to Bortles instead of Caldwell.
Quote:Its too early to write off Bortles? How long is enough? Your statement on the reasoning of the selection of Joeckel is completely false, one of the first questions Shad asked Dave in the initial interview process was, "who's the best player in the 2013 draft?" David confidently said "Luke Joeckel". That had nothing to do with Gene Smiths scouting staff and everything to do with David's on assessment, which was clearly off.

Bortles should have sat his rookie year. Fact. Crybaby fans started crying for him by week 3 of his rookie year and the weak coaches caved in. The coaches should have been fired after Bortles first game for ruining his development.
Quote:Change the title to Bortles instead of Caldwell.
thats an easy answer...we have to keep Bortles because we have no one better to replace him with...Sad but true..
Quote:Bortles should have sat his rookie year. Fact. Crybaby fans started crying for him by week 3 of his rookie year and the weak coaches caved in. The coaches should have been fired after Bortles first game for ruining his development.

There is no way in hell they were gonna subject the fans to 16 weeks of Henne.

I believe that is 100% the case.

Our players are better than what you're seeing on the field.

Gus and the coaching staff are holding this team back.

1. Hired, yes.  Hindsight is 20/20.  As previously mentioned by others, he took a shot on an up and coming candidate that didn't pan out.  That happens all the time.  Retaining him... I don't really get the vibe that it's completely on him there.  I don't see/hear Dave out there defending Gus.  I see Shad doing so. 

2. Let's be fair here.  Last year, Blake Bortles looks to be a quickly ascending QB.  This year, he fell off a cliff.  It's really hard to tell what's going on with that situation.

3. Talent.  You simply have to be blind if you don't see the talent on the field.  It's not a talent problem.  It's a consistency problem.  At times, it's a motivation problem, as you can see the frustration in a lot of the players.  The Defense.. frankly.. you can't really put any of this on them.  The pass rush hasn't gotten home, sure.  They've also spent all but 1 game playing from behind.  Fewer obvious pass situations lead to far fewer sacks and turnovers.  The defense has, for the most part, been very stout against teams who are constantly given phenomenal field position by our Offense/ST.

4. Free Agency.  Really?  Only Jackson?  Parnell is one of the weakest... STILL was an upgrade.  Gipson is unquestionably an upgrade.  Prince, who people love to pick on, obviously better than guys like Gratz.  Ivory.  We're going to pretend like he's not solid, despite our terrible run-blocking?  Beachum has been solid at LT.  ZERO question he was a direct upgrade from Joke.  It's easy to point at guys who are not elite players and say "Bad signing"... but you have to remember who they were replacing... even the "bad" FA signings were better than the guys who WERE in that position.

Honestly... It's just painfully obvious at this point that Gus Bradley isn't capable of getting it done.  Yes, Caldwell originally signed him and took a shot on him.  It wasn't some radical decision that no one understood at the time.  He was a prime candidate.  It didn't pan out.  Unfortunately, we have an owner who refuses to let him go.  Until Gus goes, it's really hard to evaluate everything else.
Quote:He took a shot with an up and coming DC it didn't work out...He's not the first GM to do that and he won't be the last

Where is the thumbs down button?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10