Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Future Quarterback - I think it's Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I'm sitting here watching the Steelers/Titans and watching Mariota throw 2 first half INTs on his own side of the 50.  Luckily for him, his defense has been able to bail him out on both so far.  My question is, do you think Titan's fan constantly clamor for a new QB like some of our fans do about Blake?  

I'm obviously pro Bortles, and believe that he has taken some steps in the right direction this year.  Yes his 2 INTs last week in the 4th were back breakers, but up until that point I thought he played incredibly well.  How different would that game have looked last week if Cole catches that long TD, or Mercedes brings in that long catch, or if Marquise doesn't drop that long pass in OT?  If either of the first 2 happen, we're not even the position in the 4th where we're throwing the ball and neither one those INTs even happen.   I actually have very little doubt that he'll be our starting quarterback next year.  I read an article on Jaguars.com today where Hackett is quoted as saying that he believes "Blake has been playing very well, very, very well, this whole year."  This shows me that this staff is not only pleased with how Blake has looked this year, but encouraged for the future.  If this year continues to play out as it has so far, with the Jaguars making a playoff appearance, than it's safe to say that no one on this staff is going anywhere, unless they are lured away for a promotion.  My point in saying this is that if we retain the same staff, offensive anyway, and they are very, very, pleased with the play out of their quarterback, then he is obviously in the future plans for at least this staff.  The GM can draft a quarterback all they want too, but it's the coach who decides who plays.  I think that some of you who think Blake has no chance of being the quarterback of the future of this team are delusional.  I've put a link to the article with Hackett gushing about Blake.  Just my 2 cents.  Go Jags!

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...7d33bbf40e
I wouldnt mention blake for throwing 2 ints, you'll be called a troll
The bar is just set so damn low if the fans and staff are saying what Bortles has done this year has been "incredibly well" or "very well, very, very well".

By the best measures he's been average so just use those words. And again, average is fine while he's cheap, but he's not going to be cheap going forward. He can stay on the 5th year option since we have so much rollover cap left, but he can't stay on with a long term deal. That would be just as bad as the also unwise deals given out to Dalton/Schaub/Garrard/etc.
I agree Blake has been “OK” this year, but I think the overall sentiment is that with a QB that was playing at an exceptional level this team would be unbelievable, but. That’s not what we have and we can only hope that 5 isn’t the reason Lombardi doesn’t make a North Florida appearance
My take is he's played better than I thought he would while also showing why he isn't the long term guy which is kinda perfect.  

I've developed alot of respect for how's he handled himself this year though
The mechanics can't be fixed, but with more work offseason, he could get better at understanding defenses and speeding up his reads. That's probably what he can work on to be a better QB. He's not gonna be a HOF'er but he may be able to get above David Garrard-status in the Jaguar QB Hierarchy.
(11-17-2017, 12:35 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]My take is he's played better than I thought he would while also showing why he isn't the long term guy which is kinda perfect.  

This is it in a nutshell.  He's played well enough that we are able to win in spite of him being pedestrian on his best day, but he's also shown us that when the game is on the line he isn't the guy you want behind center.  A replacement will be found in the offseason.  Whether he stays to guide the ship for half a season while a draft pick gets ready to take over next year or we move on completely remains to be seen.
I will say this... I think he's been throwing caution to the wind regarding his body when he dives head first for crucial first downs. I think he understands how most of the league and the public views him as a QB and I believe he is giving it his all to try and change that perception. I just don't think he has what it takes, unfortunately.
I could see Bortles sticking around. With a healthy ARob coming back next year I could see us drafting more than one offensive lineman and clearing up cap space in free agency.
Bortles is at least a low end starter, I believe you do not let him go without a replacement because the options aren't good. Even if we draft a QB high I expect Bortles back next year at 19 mil. The only way he wouldn't be back is if we signed someone like Cousins who is a clear upgrade.
Before the last quarter of the Chargers game, Blake played 11 straight quarters of very good football. It's extremely dangerous that those INTs came when they did, but he's looking much more like the guy we thought he'd be after 2015 than the [BLEEP] we got last year.

He didn't throw 4 INTs against the Steelers either

It's funny with Blake, when he's on and having a good day, he's one of the better QBs in the league. But when he gets in a bad rut, man is it bad.
When your OC is trying to find creative ways to not throw the ball, you might not have the best long-term option. This past Sunday should have been more than a clear indication that for as "well" as he is doing, it's because the workload is limited. Be honest with yourselves. Bortles lost Chargers game twice in 2 minutes (bad calls and all). I can't imagine the Patriots, Chiefs, and Steelers being as forgiving as the Chargers were this past weekend going into January.

Looks like the Jags are hoping for Bortles to supplant Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson as the worst QB's to ever win a Super Bowl. However, this window of greatness for the current defense is really kind of small with a unit anchored with Free Agents. I think the penultimate question is this: Even if Bortles goes full Dilfer and wins a Super Bowl, do you still believe in him? My answer is more than likely going to be no. this is based on his physiological ability (Poor mechanics, technique, Stamina)

There are two things the Jaguars must do in the next off-season (wow does it feel good to not be thinking about the draft already). 1. Find Talent to develop for replacing defensive starters like Poz, Jackson, Campbell, and Church. 2. Find the Franchise QB that can be relied on

I find it quite obvious that a change is needed. This team is wasting a legendary defense with Bortles on the other side of the ball. I'm proud of what he's been able to do. He's faced a ton of adversity, he got benched, he lost his best receiver and found a way to snag 6 wins. There has been such great improvement in so many areas, and heck, we have never seen playoff Bortles and we know if a QB gets hot in the post-season, they can be a whole different player. I'm still pulling for him, but it's pretty clear that this team is being held back a bit.
I like Blake as a person, he's always great with the media when he's over here and we're fortunate that he seems to come alive on the field in London.

I don't doubt his passion and commitment as you can see he really wants to win, but as others have said poor mechanics and technique can't be fixed now. If he can learn to read defences better and execute check downs better this off-season then great, but I believe we should be pulling out all the stops to trade up for the best QB in the draft.

If the rookie is a NFL ready QB then we put him straight to work, with either Blake backing him up or moving on. If the rookie isn't ready to go Blake comes back in 2018 until he's ready like Goff in LA and that gives us a competent game manager whom can get wins through next season until we're ready to transition the rookie during the season or the following off season.

I hope life after Jacksonville is kind to him as I think there will be teams in the NFL who have worse QB issues than us where he'll find a home.
So Mariota ends the night with 4 INTs, giving him 8 TDs and 10 INTs on the year, yet you won't hear anyone calling for his head. What some of you fail to understand is that outside of the handful of premier quarterbacks in this league, i.e. Brady, Rogers, Brees, Wilson, and maybe Stafford, there's a big group of average to above average quarterbacks and Blake is in that group. Quit trying to force him into that bottom tier quarterback group because he just isn't in it. Hell before Big Ben threw 4 TDs last night, Blake only had thrown 1 less TD than Ben, but also 3 less INTs. If your going to say that Blake isn't good enough, then you would say the same thing about 85% of the quarterbacks in the league. On top of that, Blake is still very young and has a lot more room to grow. Just look at the stats of the quarterbacks around the league, they don't lie. With it being so hard to find a quarterback in this league, this organization isn't going to quit on Blake after this season barring a complete collapse down the stretch, and why would they? Getting rid of our young quarterback after he has shown much improvement in some vital areas doesn't make much sense.
(11-17-2017, 12:35 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]My take is he's played better than I thought he would while also showing why he isn't the long term guy which is kinda perfect.  

Yes, that's it.  Great comment.  I agree. 

I'm rooting for the guy, basically because he's a stand-up guy who takes the shots and the criticism without complaint.  He's also durable and athletic, and his teammates seem to like him.  But he's not a great QB.  

I think there's a chance he'll be our QB next year, but it depends on what's available and whether we are willing to pay the price for it.
(11-17-2017, 06:51 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]So Mariota ends the night with 4 INTs, giving him 8 TDs and 10 INTs on the year, yet you won't hear anyone calling for his head. What some of you fail to understand is that outside of the handful of premier quarterbacks in this league, i.e. Brady, Rogers, Brees, Wilson, and maybe Stafford, there's a big group of average to above average quarterbacks and Blake is in that group. Quit trying to force him into that bottom tier quarterback group because he just isn't in it. Hell before Big Ben threw 4 TDs last night, Blake only had thrown 1 less TD than Ben, but also 3 less INTs. If your going to say that Blake isn't good enough, then you would say the same thing about 85% of the quarterbacks in the league. On top of that, Blake is still very young and has a lot more room to grow. Just look at the stats of the quarterbacks around the league, they don't lie. With it being so hard to find a quarterback in this league, this organization isn't going to quit on Blake after this season barring a complete collapse down the stretch, and why would they? Getting rid of our young quarterback after he has shown much improvement in some vital areas doesn't make much sense.

You're putting way too much stock into googling box score stats sir. If you insist on doing that then look at the advanced passing section of their PFR pages. That's where you'll find by far the best quick comparison based on their per attempt stats, and it includes far better stats than just looking at total TDs and INTs.
(11-16-2017, 11:35 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]The bar is just set so damn low if the fans and staff are saying what Bortles has done this year has been "incredibly well" or "very well, very, very well".

By the best measures he's been average so just use those words. And again, average is fine while he's cheap, but he's not going to be cheap going forward. He can stay on the 5th year option since we have so much rollover cap left, but he can't stay on with a long term deal. That would be just as bad as the also unwise deals given out to Dalton/Schaub/Garrard/etc.

I agree with this. It's just been so long since we've had a competent passer that most fans don't even know what that looks like. I was stunned that they did nothing to address the QB situation this past offseason. To do it again will be the greatest failure in NFL history. It would be a complete waste of a super talented roster. It is well known that he is our achilles. I guess everyone knows it but us. We will continue to see 8 or 9 in the box, completely stifling our running game because they know that Blake can't truly punish them for it. One drive a game will not make defenses change that up.
(11-17-2017, 06:51 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]So Mariota ends the night with 4 INTs, giving him 8 TDs and 10 INTs on the year, yet you won't hear anyone calling for his head.  What some of you fail to understand is that outside of the handful of premier quarterbacks in this league, i.e. Brady, Rogers, Brees, Wilson, and maybe Stafford, there's a big group of average to above average quarterbacks and Blake is in that group.  Quit trying to force him into that bottom tier quarterback group because he just isn't in it.  Hell before Big Ben threw 4 TDs last night, Blake only had thrown 1 less TD than Ben, but also 3 less INTs.  If your going to say that Blake isn't good enough, then you would say the same thing about 85% of the quarterbacks in the league.  On top of that, Blake is still very young and has a lot more room to grow. Just look at the stats of the quarterbacks around the league, they don't lie.  With it being so hard to find a quarterback in this league, this organization isn't going to quit on Blake after this season barring a complete collapse down the stretch, and why would they?  Getting rid of our young quarterback after he has shown much improvement in some vital areas doesn't make much sense.

Why do you guys keep thinking other fans are so different? After a brief visit to the Tack board, there are plenty of folks calling for his head. (see example below) As a matter of fact a lot of the threads sound eerily similar to our board. Just think, Marcus hasn't even had as many terrible games or seasons as Blake and people are starting to second guess.

http://www.titansreport.com/topic/29737-...g-nfl-qbs/
(11-17-2017, 08:47 AM)RealJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2017, 11:35 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]The bar is just set so damn low if the fans and staff are saying what Bortles has done this year has been "incredibly well" or "very well, very, very well".

I agree with this. It's just been so long since we've had a competent passer that most fans don't even know what that looks like. I was stunned that they did nothing to address the QB situation this past offseason. To do it again will be the greatest failure in NFL history. It would be a complete waste of a super talented roster. It is well known that he is our achilles. I guess everyone knows it but us. We will continue to see 8 or 9 in the box, completely stifling our running game because they know that Blake can't truly punish them for it. One drive a game will not make defenses change that up.

Lol, yeah, let's go grab another one off the qb tree. The grass isn't always greener you know.
(11-17-2017, 09:02 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, yeah, let's go grab another one off the qb tree. The grass isn't always greener you know.

Double down this time though. Get a 1st round pick QB, and then back it up with Tyrod or the guy that loses the Bridgewater/Keenum battle for a reasonable price.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7