Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Kneeling with 55 seconds left in the first half set the losing tone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
This was the moment we switched from playing to win to playing not to lose and it was reflected in the play of our young team and the play calling throughout the second half.

When you do this when you are playing away against a team that is lead by a guy like Brady, it's the equivalent of game plan suicide. These guys always play to win.

I'm not sure what the coaching staff thought they would accomplish. It makes you wonder if they had ever watched the patriots play before.

It completely sucked all the momentum out of our team.

Such a shame.
I didn’t love it but it hardly set a tone for the 2nd half
(01-21-2018, 11:39 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t love it but it hardly set a tone for the 2nd half

It's not about setting a tone for the 2nd half.  Its about adding more points against the GOAT in the AFC Championship Game.  WAKE UP sheeple

One of the many reasons we lost the Arizona game, thought they would of learned
To me it really meant nothing in the whole scheme of the game
Do you seriously think bortles will drive the team efficiently and effectively down the field to fg range or td without a 3 and out or a int pick 6. You saw what happened last 2 minutes of the game. That's not his game. He's effective when working within the offense Hackett scheme that hides Blake's deficiencies. He's no brady, big ben, rodgers
(01-21-2018, 11:39 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t love it but it hardly set a tone for the 2nd half

It most certainly did. Conservative play with the focus of sitting on a lead and more worried about making mistakes than what the patriots could do.

The second half was dictated by this mindset.
Went conservative against the GOAT in the 2nd quarter, lol embarrassing. Coughlin is still pulling his hair out as we speak
(01-21-2018, 11:45 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you seriously think bortles will drive the team efficiently and effectively  down the field to fg range or td without a 3 and out or a int pick 6. You saw what happened last 2 minutes of the game.   That's not his game. He's effective when working within the offense Hackett scheme that hides Blake's deficiencies.  He's no brady, big ben, rodgers

Better chance of scoring points trying than kneeling. Do you really believe that we should waste a scoring opportunity with only 14 points playing a guy like Brady?

We have gotten in field goal multiple times with that amount of time on the clock. A field goal there means we are kicking for the win at the end of the game instead of having to go for it on 4th down.
Didn’t set the tone for anything. The hindsight NFL coaches on this board iare pathetic. What did this all world defense do to keep them from scoring? Bottomline is they played well overall, but in the end the jags couldn’t capitalize on the agressive plays downfield, nor could they get the same defensive pressure as earlier in the game.
That move should tell you where they're at with Bortles. He still doesn't have their full trust even though he has made some strides this year. Maybe he'll earn that trust next year. Even great QBs kneel to get out of the half in certain scenarios, but 55 seconds with 2 timeouts is pretty egregious.
I didn't like the decision not to attempt to at least get in FG range with 55 ticks left, and I didn't like the amount of conservative play calling in the second half.

I don't think these things were - by themselves - nails in the coffin. But they damn sure didn't help stave off the funeral.
Wouldn't matter. The Refs would still find a way to hand us a loss. "Flag on the playf! Jacksonville has too big of a lead over the Patriots, 99 yard penalty. First down, Patriots Ball."
(01-22-2018, 12:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't like the decision not to attempt to at least get in FG range with 55 ticks left, and I didn't like the amount of conservative play calling in the second half.

I don't think these things were - by themselves - nails in the coffin.  But they damn sure didn't help stave off the funeral.

Certainly. There was a culmination of things that had an impact on overall outcome. The pat’s experience always allows them to capitalize on the slightest things. I’m bitter as hell but the season was far more than I expected.
(01-21-2018, 11:55 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]Didn’t set the tone for anything. The hindsight NFL coaches on this board iare pathetic. What did this all world defense do to keep them from scoring? Bottomline is they played well overall, but in the end the jags couldn’t capitalize on the agressive plays downfield, nor could they get the same defensive pressure as earlier in the game.

No hindsight here. I was questioning the message they were sending their young team as soon as they did it.

55 seconds left in the half with only a 4 point lead against a guy like Brady and you are content to kneel?

This coming from a coach that is trying to preach to his young team to not let up. They let up after that and it cost them.

(01-22-2018, 12:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't like the decision not to attempt to at least get in FG range with 55 ticks left, and I didn't like the amount of conservative play calling in the second half.

I don't think these things were - by themselves - nails in the coffin.  But they damn sure didn't help stave off the funeral.

Like I said, I really think that changed the mentality for the rest of the game by players and coaches.
None of that sequence made any sense. Even before that. Say, the coaches don't trust Bortles. You already know you will kneel under 1 minute left in the half with the lead.

Then why even pocket those timeouts. The defense was one their heels when the Patriots got inside the red zone. Use a TO and try to regroup, knowing you will only kneel after the FG/TD. Clock was not going to be a factor at that point with regards to NE scoring.

Also, why not return the KO. If you are definitely NOT going to try to get into FG range on offense, it doesn't matter how time is lost on the return or if he is downed short of the 25. But there is a chance to maybe break a long return.
Again that has to do with the QB. He is not completely trusted and given his track record, it’s undersrandable. They were worried Blake would turn the ball over or that they’d be giving New England the ball with too much time to score.

In defense of the coaching - there’s many teams that would do the same thing. Take a look at Philly tonight though. They had a lead and drove the ball downfield with :29 to get an extra field goal. Doug Pederson is a forward thinking coach - most coaches play it more conservative
(01-22-2018, 12:11 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

Like I said, I really think that changed the mentality for the rest of the game by players and coaches.

I see your point, and it may have affected some of the players that way. But, as made evident by comments by players post-game, there are a number of players on this squad that are persevering through what they perceive as coaching mistakes.
(01-22-2018, 12:13 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]None of that sequence made any sense. Even before that. Say, the coaches don't trust Bortles. You already know you will kneel under 1 minute left in the half with the lead.

Then why even pocket those timeouts. The defense was one their heels when the Patriots got inside the red zone. Use a TO and try to regroup, knowing you will only kneel after the FG/TD. Clock was not going to be a factor at that point with regards to NE scoring.

Also, why not return the KO. If you are definitely NOT going to try to get into FG range on offense, it doesn't matter how time is lost on the return or if he is downed short of the 25. But there is a chance to maybe break a long return.

I agree. It almost seemed like Marone was expecting the game to be some sort of defensive slug fest like against Buffalo and not against the number 1 offense in the league with the greatest QB of all time.

Few in this organization have ever made it this far so hopefully this will be a learning experience for the coaches and the players.

When it's one and done, you leave nothing on the table. You hold nothing back.

(01-22-2018, 12:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 12:11 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

I see your point, and it may have affected some of the players that way. But, as made evident by comments by players post-game, there are a number of players on this squad that are persevering through what they perceive as coaching mistakes.

It's a young team that doesn't have a lot of experience to fall back on. They will follow the lead that the coach sets.

Like I said above, hopefully this will be a learning experience for all.
(01-22-2018, 12:33 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. It almost seemed like Marone was expecting the game to be some sort of defensive slug fest like against Buffalo and not against the number 1 offense in the league with the greatest QB of all time.

Few in this organization have ever made it this far so hopefully this will be a learning experience for the coaches and the players.

When it's one and done, you leave nothing on the table. You hold nothing back.

It just feels more that that. Like that Hackett and Walsh are so scared to make a mistake that they don't take any chances. On one of the Marrone Thursday radio shows. Marrone talked about how if any of the coaches or players are not comfortable with a play call or set during the week, they completely remove it from the playbook for that week.

While I get that you want to run things you are comfortable with to maximize execution, that also sort means you are basically playing scared and unable to change on the fly to something else unless if it something you prepared in a prior week. 

I guess as fans, we can hope that with more experience and practice time between players and coaches, they can install more wrinkles and creativity. There are glimpse of it every once in awhile with some of Hackett's play designs and Walsh coverage looks, but they need to happen more often and be able to use them for in-game adjustments.
Dumbest decision.

Why not atleast attempt a pass and see if someone is open? Take the sack if not
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6