Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell speaks: reading the tea leaves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...99725fe826

A few notes/thoughts/feelings I have after watching Caldwell address the media today.

On Robinson:

The Jags weren’t close at all in terms of money. I’m not sure if there was much interest in returning from Robinson’s camp either. Dave mentioned “circumstances” as one of the reasons in not bringing ARob back. It also sounded as if the two sides either started talking late or were only casual in negotiating.

On Norwell:

Dave mentioned getting a feeling ARob was going to be gone so instead of sitting back he jumped at the opportunity to sneak in an offer to Norwell with the funds earmarked for Robinson. 

He stated he considered signing a Guard last year but didn’t think the talent available justified it. He made clear he thought Norwell was the best free agent available and was worthy of the all pro designation and obviously the contract we offered. 

On Colvin: 

Caldwell said we were a lot closer as far as terms and money he was offered. Said the decision was a difficult one for Colvin, presumably because he wanted to stay, but also wanted an opportunity to start as well. I also found it interesting that he said Colvin stayed in constant contact with him. As I mentioned before it almost sounded as if it was the exact opposite in regards to ARob.

On Moncrief:

Caldwell seemed pretty high on Moncrief. Mentioned ideally he should start opposite of Lee and gives us two starting WRs with speed to hopefully help open up the passing offense and running game. He sounded almost shocked that Moncrief was willing to sign a one year prove it deal but mentioned how much it shows Moncrief believes in himself to turn his current image around. He stated he thinks there is still some untapped potential there for him as well. If he can stay healthy I think McCardell will do wonders for Moncrief. It’s possible we may have an ARob 2.0 situation in Moncrief come next year.

On backup QB:

My favorite part of the interview btw...while being asked by the reporter about plans for a backup QB, Dave cuts him off mid sentence and paraphrasing says “we have a plan for backup QB” and “when it’s time to reveal the plan you will see”. His body language also shifted a bit as well. IMO, I believe we will be drafting a QB early. We have positioned ourselves this free agency to move up in the draft if need be, and I believe, there is a certain QB Caldwell has an eye on. I got the same feeling last year closer to the draft about Fournette. Caldwell has shown in the past he isn’t afraid to move up for players he likes. He was asked about bringing in a vet QB later and said again paraphrasing “He doesn’t have to be a vet.” Time will tell if my hunch is right....
(03-15-2018, 10:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...99725fe826

A few notes/thoughts/feelings I have after watching Caldwell address the media today.

On Robinson:

The Jags weren’t close at all in terms of money. I’m not sure if there was much interest in returning from Robinson’s camp either. Dave mentioned “circumstances” as one of the reasons in not bringing ARob back. It also sounded as if the two sides either started talking late or were only casual in negotiating.

On Norwell:

Dave mentioned getting a feeling ARob was going to be gone so instead of sitting back he jumped at the opportunity to sneak in an offer to Norwell with the funds earmarked for Robinson. 

He stated he considered signing a Guard last year but didn’t think the talent available justified it. He made clear he thought Norwell was the best free agent available and was worthy of the all pro designation and obviously the contract we offered. 

On Colvin: 

Caldwell said we were a lot closer as far as terms and money he was offered. Said the decision was a difficult one for Colvin, presumably because he wanted to stay, but also wanted an opportunity to start as well. I also found it interesting that he said Colvin stayed in constant contact with him. As I mentioned before it almost sounded as if it was the exact opposite in regards to ARob.

On Moncrief:

Caldwell seemed pretty high on Moncrief. Mentioned ideally he should start opposite of Lee and gives us two starting WRs with speed to hopefully help open up the passing offense and running game. He sounded almost shocked that Moncrief was willing to sign a one year prove it deal but mentioned how much it shows Moncrief believes in himself to turn his current image around. He stated he thinks there is still some untapped potential there for him as well. If he can stay healthy I think McCardell will do wonders for Moncrief. It’s possible we may have an ARob 2.0 situation in Moncrief come next year.

On backup QB:

My favorite part of the interview btw...while being asked by the reporter about plans for a backup QB, Dave cuts him off mid sentence and paraphrasing says “we have a plan for backup QB” and “when it’s time to reveal the plan you will see”. His body language also shifted a bit as well. IMO, I believe we will be drafting a QB early. We have positioned ourselves this free agency to move up in the draft if need be, and I believe, there is a certain QB Caldwell has an eye on. I got the same feeling last year closer to the draft about Fournette. Caldwell has shown in the past he isn’t afraid to move up for players he likes. He was asked about bringing in a vet QB later and said again paraphrasing “He doesn’t have to be a vet.” Time will tell if my hunch is right....

Dave is playing a different game when he talks to the media. The only thing anyone is going to walk away thinking, is what Dave wants them to think.
Agree on the backup part.

Without reading too much into it , it didn't sound like the backup QB plan was just to sign some random journey man backup.
I had many of the same takeaways as you knarnn.

I was struck by how the topic of Colvin seemed particularly painful for Caldwell, surprisingly so. It sounded like he truly wanted AC back, and that it was a difficult decision for Aaron to make.

I also liked his little subtle jab at unnamed players who make a Pro Bowl, yet when you put on the tape, they don’t look deserving of the honor. I don’t think he was speaking of any of our players past or present, but I just liked how candid it was.

Dude is a big Norwell fan.
I got the impression that Robinson was made an offer and then he basically cut off communication and wasn't even willing to try to negotiate. I believe that was the circumstances he was referring to.

It sounds like Colvin was willing to talk but ultimately made the decision to go elsewhere
I was thinking they would make a play on a top QB. It makes sense, give up two number ones for a chance at a franchise QB. 

If the Jags can create and build on core group of players and get that year after year stability then the future looks bright
The structure of Bortles' contract indicated QB would be a priority in the draft. It's a 1 year deal if we want it to be and they aren't going into next season without a legitimate heir apparent on the roster if it becomes resoundingly clear that it's time to move on. The free agent moves support this line of thinking as well. The draft still has to fall the right way and/or we need to find a willing trade partner, but you'd think QB has to be a strong possibility in round 1. A rookie backup QB that could ascend to the starting job is also going to have a very team friendly contract for 4 or 5 years which will go a long way in enabling us to keep the core of this team together for a long time.
(03-15-2018, 11:29 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking they would make a play on a top QB. It makes sense, give up two number ones for a chance at a franchise QB...

That doesn't make sense for a team that has other spots needing to fill.

That would be setting the team up for a death spiral. You won't have the cap space to keep or pick up in free agency the talent around him and then you won't have the quality picks to bring in top talent through the draft.
(03-15-2018, 11:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]The structure of Bortles' contract indicated QB would be a priority in the draft.  It's a 1 year deal if we want it to be and they aren't going into next season without a legitimate heir apparent on the roster if it becomes resoundingly clear that it's time to move on.  The free agent moves support this line of thinking as well.  The draft still has to fall the right way and/or we need to find a willing trade partner, but you'd think QB has to be a strong possibility in round 1.  A rookie backup QB that could ascend to the starting job is also going to have a very team friendly contract for 4 or 5 years which will go a long way in enabling us to keep the core of this team together for a long time.

The way his contract is structured it wouldn't make sense to cut him before year 2. If we cut him after 1 year he would count 16.5 mil in dead money against our cap the following year. Add to that the cost of bringing in another number two, which would probably be at least 5 mill towards the cap, and you have a cap hit for your back up QB at 21.5 mil. Keeping Bortles for the second year would be a 21 mil cap hit so it would be cheaper just to keep him as a back up.

After year two his dead money drops to 5 mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...les-14412/
Maybe Dave just has the hots for a QB they can get in the 4th or 5th round.

One thing that seems clear is the Jags will have to shed some big contracts in 2019 and 2020. Ideally, they would have young guys pushing for playing time anyway. You hope a guy like Dawuane Smoot can take the next step and be part of the D-line rotation.
After today, I was sure Caldwell was going to trade up into the top of the draft and get a QB ... until I just read his comments.

Now, I'm thinking maybe they could go FA:  Kaepernick, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore, Cutler.

But I don't know about that either.  So I'm going to say ... they give up a draft pick for ... Jacoby Brissett!

... Or also, yea they probably just draft a QB.
(03-16-2018, 12:55 AM)VisitingCobra Wrote: [ -> ]After today, I was sure Caldwell was going to trade up into the top of the draft and get a QB ... until I just read his comments.

Now, I'm thinking maybe they could go FA:  Kaepernick, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore, Cutler.

But I don't know about that either.  So I'm going to say ... they give up a draft pick for ... Jacoby Brissett!

... Or also, yea they probably just draft a QB.

There was a cockiness to the way he phrased it that made me think it would be something unexpected and out of left field. Kaepernick or a trade up to the early first are the two things that immediately come to mind. However, Dave's always good at not showing his hand though, so who really knows.
I think we're drafting a QB with our first pick. Like the Bears did last year. They offered Glennon a 3 year deal and drafted Trubisky.

The contract says it all. Bortles got a 2 year deal, and with Henne not pushing him, we will probably go get a QB that could step in and play after a year.

We're still in win now mode, so whoever we draft will sit.
(03-16-2018, 04:16 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I think we're drafting a QB with our first pick. Like the Bears did last year. They offered Glennon a 3 year deal and drafted Trubisky.

The contract says it all. Bortles got a 2 year deal, and with Henne not pushing him, we will probably go get a QB that could step in and play after a year.

We're still in win now mode, so whoever we draft will sit.

Y'all wanting a new QB so bad that you and others would do anything including sell your first born child to get it. They're not drafted a QB in the first round especially with a win-now team because that was the case they wouldn't which sign him at all. You ain't got to tell me something when was the last time two first round QB's within 5 years or each other was on the same roster of each other? The closest thing I can remember was when the Minnesota Vikings drafted Teddy Bridgewater in 2014 and even then they got rid of Christian Ponder who they drafted in 2011 to do it. You and others don't have to believe in Blake evendors though he has gotten us to the AFC Championship game and to everyone inside organization including Tom Coughlin is on board with him and  that means something even if it don't mean a darn thing to you.
I believe that drafting an QB depends upon availability as all positions do. If there is an highly rated QB still on the board at our first round draft spot then Caldwell will make that selection. If not, we'll draft an QB in the second or third round.

NH3...
Ideally, I think they like a QB that might move up the boards from 3-4 to 2-3rd. Best situation is snag him and have a Rodgers situation(No, i'm NOT comparing Bortles to Favre) and have him sit for a year or two. Get him some PT this year when a playoff berth/division title is secured and bring him a long slowly. Let Bortles play his deal out and then walk, insert new guy in: continue winning.
So, who do you guys hope we get if we go for a QB in the first round? I am a fan of Allen myself.
(03-16-2018, 10:39 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]So, who do you guys hope we get if we go for a QB in the first round? I am a fan of Allen myself.

I like Allen in the first too - but they probably can't trade up high enough for him without giving up way too much. 

I really like Mike White in the third if he's there. I'd even consider moving up higher in the third to take him if they have info on another team taking him sooner. 

Regarding the teal leaves. 

Yes - It seems A-Rob didn't like the offer and non-tag - so he cut off communication. 

Colvin wanted to stay but went to the money and chance to play outside. 

Caldwell feels the same way about Moncreif as I do.  Loads of untapped potential and hungry to prove it. 

I think they draft a QB before the fourth round. 

RE: the comment about Dave not being genuine in this presser.  I think hat's off base for this particular presser. He's simply talking about free agent that are now in the building. He's being his usual transparent self here. 

The one or two references to the draft are the only moments where he clams up (or might mislead) and we can expect that between now and the draft.
(03-16-2018, 12:27 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2018, 11:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]The structure of Bortles' contract indicated QB would be a priority in the draft.  It's a 1 year deal if we want it to be and they aren't going into next season without a legitimate heir apparent on the roster if it becomes resoundingly clear that it's time to move on.  The free agent moves support this line of thinking as well.  The draft still has to fall the right way and/or we need to find a willing trade partner, but you'd think QB has to be a strong possibility in round 1.  A rookie backup QB that could ascend to the starting job is also going to have a very team friendly contract for 4 or 5 years which will go a long way in enabling us to keep the core of this team together for a long time.

The way his contract is structured it wouldn't make sense to cut him before year 2. If we cut him after 1 year he would count 16.5 mil in dead money against our cap the following year. Add to that the cost of bringing in another number two, which would probably be at least 5 mill towards the cap, and you have a cap hit for your back up QB at 21.5 mil. Keeping Bortles for the second year would be a 21 mil cap hit so it would be cheaper just to keep him as a back up.

After year two his dead money drops to 5 mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...les-14412/

It's probable that he'll be here next year, but the team crafted themselves an out after this season in the deal if they choose to take it.  There is offset language in his 2019 $6.5 guarantee amount which means the Jags aren't necessarily the ones who have to pay that and it's mentioned underneath his contract breakdown on the spotrac page.  It also means if he's on another team next year through trade or release, that the dead money amount wouldn't necessarily be $16.5 million.  It could be as low as $10 million based on whether or not he's making $6.5 million or more elsewhere and why wouldn't he get that or something close to it even if he's just the dedicated backup somewhere?

Why would the Jags put that language in the deal if they were absolutely reserved to their fate of being stuck with him for 2 years?  Good GM's can't necessarily predict the future, but good GM's do account for multiple scenarios and attempt to give themselves options by not hog-tying the team with bad deals.  If Bortles is on another roster next year earning $6.5 million or more the Jags don't owe him a dime in 2019 or 2020, they just have to account for the remaining signing bonus (which has already been paid to him) for each of those years as far as the cap is concerned.  If you're the GM and you know it's time to move on, you're not going to pay him his base salary of $16 million next year and take the total cap hit of $21 million next year by keeping him on the roster just to push the final $5 million of dead money out to 2020.  That would be insane.  Considering what mega deals we'll have to do in 2020, it may be more advantageous to take the $10 million dead cap hit in 2019 versus leaving any of it for 2020 anyway.

Lastly, if you're going to craft such an out in the deal, would you take the risk of having to start your search for his replacement next offseason after you've decided to move on or would you prefer to have the potential heir apparent on the roster already this season?  And if you're going to potentially eat a $10 million dollar dead cap hit next year, wouldn't you prefer that heir apparent to be on a rookie deal rather than it being a more pricey vet?  And now go through the list of bona fide starting QBs in the league that are at no risk of being unseated and add up the number of those that were drafted beyond the 2nd round.  I can't really think of anyone except Wilson and Brady, maybe I'm missing someone.  It would be nice to luck into landing such a guy beyond the 2nd round, but no GM is going to plan to do that. The guys you take beyond the 2nd are ones you're drafting to be the backup or a developmental guy.  I'd take it a step further and say that if you're getting a quality guy in the 2nd round it is going to be near the top of that round and not where we will currently be drafting.  Anyway, if you build that out into the contract the next logical step in my mind is to get a legitimate rookie QB that has the potential to unseat Bortles by next season.  I know this has been a bit long winded, but for those that aren't aware of the offset you have to walk through it entirely to understand the how's and why's of it.  

Best case scenario is even if we take a QB high, that it pushes Bortles to be his best and we have two quality QBs on the roster and we can flip one in a year or two for significant compensation.  Anyway, to me that contract said they were taking a QB high (if the draft falls the way they need it to, and that's a big if), else why bother putting the offset language in there?
I really wanted his reasoning for that Hayden pick up and contract...

Otherwise i'm extremely happy with the FA's we got and the contracts we gave them.

Overall, he handled himself well and is more confident and you can tell by his answers they were more aggressive then defensive. I like it, lets hope it works out.

Also, I am super excited to find out what our plan for QB is!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6