Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shooting at Santa Fe High School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Damn, this one hits close to home..the High School is just minutes down the road from me.

This is becoming madness..it seems like every month we have one of these, right before graduation too. Something has to be done with on campus security. I don't think stricter gun laws are going to do anything as there are already millions of guns out there, but measures need to be taken to better secure our campuses.
(05-18-2018, 12:01 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]Damn, this one hits close to home..the High School is just minutes down the road from me.

This is becoming madness..it seems like every month we have one of these, right before graduation too. Something has to be done with on campus security. I don't think stricter gun laws are going to do anything as there are already millions of guns out there, but measures need to be taken to better secure our campuses.

It all boils down to piss poor parenting by a piss poor generation of idiots.
Every last one of these sucks! Unfortunately, politics gets in the way of addressing the real issue. Instead of screaming for more gun control, we should be asking ourselves why kids lack empathy and feel the need to lash out in this manner?
(05-18-2018, 12:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:01 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]Damn, this one hits close to home..the High School is just minutes down the road from me.

It all boils down to piss poor parenting by a piss poor generation of idiots.
So the older generation is to blame?
(05-18-2018, 12:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]It all boils down to piss poor parenting by a piss poor generation of idiots.
So the older generation is to blame?

Millennials are the parents of these kids.
There was a school shooting averted by an armed resource at the school recently that did not get the media coverage this one will get.

That's the true root of the "problem."

The failures are sensationalized and front page, and the wrong people are blamed.

Contrast that with the way the same incident is handled successfully, the way the story is buried and avoided - that tells you what's wrong today.

Today's media and politics (let's just acknowledge that they are now one and the same) is about creating outrage and has nothing to do with solutions that are already in front of our faces.
While I'm sure there could be a bit of parental blame, that is too easy. You can attempt to raise your kids to be moral and ethical but once outside the home they are free thinking and are accountable for their own actions. Why are these kids feeling like the only way to make a point is through violence?
(05-18-2018, 12:20 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm sure there could be a bit of parental blame, that is too easy. You can attempt to raise your kids to be moral and ethical but once outside the home they are free thinking and are accountable for their own actions. Why are these kids feeling like the only way to make a point is through violence?

It's because they don't develop real relationships to begin with.  People are objects, ideas.  Labels.  Things.  There is no real connection to other people.  Most are isolated individuals whose only reality exists between their own ears, trapped inside their own cocoon.
It's laughably hypocritical to elect donald trump to be president and then complain about a lack of morals and ethics in others. Then again self reflection and consistency is not a hallmark of the modern right winger.
(05-18-2018, 12:24 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:20 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm sure there could be a bit of parental blame, that is too easy. You can attempt to raise your kids to be moral and ethical but once outside the home they are free thinking and are accountable for their own actions. Why are these kids feeling like the only way to make a point is through violence?

It's because they don't develop real relationships to begin with.  People are objects, ideas.  Labels.  Things.  There is no real connection to other people.  Most are isolated individuals whose only reality exists between their own ears, trapped inside their own cocoon.
You would be correct that socialization has taken a back seat. These are the issues we were all warned about with the advent and heavy use of smartphones. It just appears kids/students are taking an extreme approach to "communicating" their feelings. The questions remain... How do we as a society deal with the current situation? How can we reverse this course?

(05-18-2018, 12:29 PM)boudreaumw Wrote: [ -> ]It's laughably hypocritical to elect donald trump to be president and then complain about a lack of morals and ethics in others. Then again self reflection and consistency is not a hallmark of the modern right winger.

I see you put a lot of thought and effort into your reflection of the event.
(05-18-2018, 12:29 PM)boudreaumw Wrote: [ -> ]It's laughably hypocritical to elect donald trump to be president and then complain about a lack of morals and ethics in others. Then again self reflection and consistency is not a hallmark of the modern right winger.

Lmao...So Hillary had morals and ethics? Get out of here with that.
(05-18-2018, 12:30 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:24 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]It's because they don't develop real relationships to begin with.  People are objects, ideas.  Labels.  Things.  There is no real connection to other people.  Most are isolated individuals whose only reality exists between their own ears, trapped inside their own cocoon.
You would be correct that socialization has taken a back seat. These are the issues we were all warned about with the advent and heavy use of smartphones. It just appears kids/students are taking an extreme approach to "communicating" their feelings. The questions remain... How do we as a society deal with the current situation? How can we reverse this course?

It begins and ends in the home with the parents.  Unfortunately many if not the majority come from broken homes.  We've become lazy.  We seek what's easy.  We reject the solutions that require sacrifice and hard work.  Being a parent and being responsible for raising children requires sacrifice and hard work that some aren't willing to commit to.

You're beyond clueless.

There's no hope for you. You're typical of the left. Group think, no individual thought AT ALL.
(05-18-2018, 12:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]So the older generation is to blame?

Millennials are the parents of these kids.
Awesome. And who were the parents of these millennials?

You're trying to blame one demographic here which is utterly absurd.
There has been a big culture change. Heroes used to be admirable people, the symbolism and ideals carried by the characters people like John Wayne created. Cynicism has set in and the heroes now are the anti-heroes and we've become abrasive and hateful to one another - you can find this in any of Tarantino's anti-heroes. The despicable are now praised of for nothing more than their outrageousness, and the old heroes are mocked and derided.

But more importantly, parents aren't being the role models they should be - leading by example. Teaching their sons how to be men, mothers teaching their daughters how to be women. Respect is nearly completely absent, both for others but even more important respect for one's self.
(05-18-2018, 01:10 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]There has been a big culture change.  Heroes used to be admirable people, the symbolism and ideals carried by the characters people like John Wayne created.  Cynicism has set in and the heroes now are the anti-heroes and we've become abrasive and hateful to one another - you can find this in any of Tarantino's anti-heroes.  The despicable are now praised of for nothing more than their outrageousness, and the old heroes are mocked and derided.

But more importantly, parents aren't being the role models they should be - leading by example.  Teaching their sons how to be men, mothers teaching their daughters how to be women.  Respect is nearly completely absent, both for others but even more important respect for one's self.

Yea.. now being strong and thinking for yourself is considered a bad thing.

How did tribalism take over?

(05-18-2018, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Millennials are the parents of these kids.

No, it's not. If this happened all through American history you might have a point.. but it's recent.
(05-18-2018, 01:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 01:10 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]There has been a big culture change.  Heroes used to be admirable people, the symbolism and ideals carried by the characters people like John Wayne created.  Cynicism has set in and the heroes now are the anti-heroes and we've become abrasive and hateful to one another - you can find this in any of Tarantino's anti-heroes.  The despicable are now praised of for nothing more than their outrageousness, and the old heroes are mocked and derided.

But more importantly, parents aren't being the role models they should be - leading by example.  Teaching their sons how to be men, mothers teaching their daughters how to be women.  Respect is nearly completely absent, both for others but even more important respect for one's self.

Yea.. now being strong and thinking for yourself is considered a bad thing.

How did tribalism take over?

The weak seeking shelter, and the easily persuaded given the opportunity to be taken care of (and perhaps even more importantly - be released from all responsibility) if they simply sell their soul to playing the role of victim.

Men have slowly and deliberately been turned to soy. This is the result.
(05-18-2018, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Millennials are the parents of these kids.

It's not really one generation, but a steady deterioraion of the American family from one generation to the next. People are so detached today, especially with two income households today and the reluctance to even use corporal punishment anymore. When I was growing up it was extremely common to go out to the store or restaurant and witness a public *** whipping...I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Hell when I was growing up you could even catch a ***  whipping from someone who wasn't a parent. Parents as a whole don't discipline anymore and kids are socially stunted sucked into their phones, tablets, and other electronic devices...they don't develop real face to face social skills.
(05-18-2018, 01:19 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome. And who were the parents of these millennials?

It's not really one generation, but a steady deterioraion of the American family from one generation to the next. People are so detached today, especially with two income households today and the reluctance to even use corporal punishment anymore. When I was growing up it was extremely common to go out to the store or restaurant and witness a public *** whipping...I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Hell when I was growing up you could even catch a ***  whipping from someone who wasn't a parent. Parents as a whole don't discipline anymore and kids are socially stunted sucked into their phones, tablets, and other electronic devices...they don't develop real face to face social skills.

+1, +1,000,000 if I could.
(05-18-2018, 01:19 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2018, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome. And who were the parents of these millennials?

It's not really one generation, but a steady deterioraion of the American family from one generation to the next. People are so detached today, especially with two income households today and the reluctance to even use corporal punishment anymore. When I was growing up it was extremely common to go out to the store or restaurant and witness a public *** whipping...I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Hell when I was growing up you could even catch a ***  whipping from someone who wasn't a parent. Parents as a whole don't discipline anymore and kids are socially [BLEEP] sucked into their phones, tablets, and other electronic devices...they don't develop real face to face social skills.
Totally agree here. This is why I refuse to let my son use our tablet. He's 2 and has no reason to use it but I see many parents out there who just give the phone or tablet to keep them quiet.

I just disagree with some posters who are trying to pin the blame on one generation. One generation is influenced by the previous one. These millenials were taught my the generation before them so they should be partially to blame as well right?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7