Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: State of Florida 2016 Ballot Measures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Let's keep this a non-Trump/Hillary debate.. There's enough of those threads. What we don't have, is a referendum thread explaining what exactly is going to be on the ballot in November to vote for, and in detail.. I think this is a good idea to have because some of the wording can be confusing and people can sometimes get lost in translation while in the voting booth. 

So, let's go over some of what we'll see as Floridians at the polls.. 

Amendment 1. Energy. Equipment that produces solar energy for personal use..

A vote <b>"for"</b> Amendment 1 supports adding a section in the state constitution giving residents of Florida the right to own or lease solar energy equipment for personal use while also enacting constitutional protection for any state or local law ensuring that residents who do not produce solar energy can abstain from subsidizing its production.

A vote <b>"against"</b> Amendment 1 opposes constitutionalizing the right to own or lease solar equipment and the protection of laws preventing subsidization of solar energy, thereby, leaving the personal use of solar power protected as a right by state statute, and not by the constitution.

Amendment 2. Medical Marijuana Legalization..

A <b>"yes"</b> vote supports legalizing medical marijuana for individuals with specific debilitating diseases or comparable debilitating conditions as determined by a licensed state physician.

A <b>"no"</b> vote opposes this proposal for legalization of medical marijuana, keeping the state's current more limited medical marijuana program in place.
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">Amendment 2 was also designed to require the Department of Health to regulate marijuana production and distribution centers and issue identification cards for patients and caregivers.<sup>[1]</sup>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">Amendment 3. Taxes.. Property tax exemptions for first responders

A <b>"yes"</b> vote supports providing property tax exemptions to first responders who have been permanently disabled in the line of duty.

A <b>"no"</b> vote opposes providing property tax exemptions for first responders disabled in the line of duty.
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">Currently, this type of property tax break is applicable only to surviving spouses of first responders or members of the military who were killed in the line of duty.<sup>[2]</sup><sup>[3]</sup>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">Amendment 5. Taxes. Property tax breaks for senior citizens..

A <b>"yes"</b> vote supports providing eligible senior citizens with certain property tax exemptions and allowing home values to remain fixed after application for the exemption, even if the value later exceeds the designated threshold.

A <b>"no"</b> vote opposes this proposal for providing senior citizens with certain property tax exemptions and the ability to have fixed home values, even if the value later exceeds the designated threshold.
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">Amendment 5 would provide a tax break for homes valued at less than $250,000 owned by individuals over the age of 65 who have lived in the home for at least 25 years. The exemptions would also be available to permanently disabled veterans aged 65 or older and surviving spouses of veterans or first responders who died in the line of duty. Seniors would be able to keep their tax exemption even if their home value exceeded $250,000 in the future.<sup>[2]</sup><sup>[3]</sup><sup>[4]</sup><sup>[5]</sup>

https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_2016_ballot_measures

If you're not too familiar with some of these, it may be worth looking into.. 
Regarding Amendment 3, Duval County had a property tax exemption for permanently disabled home owners when I lived there, was this just Duval County only?
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

4. No
Amendment 1 is extremely misleading.  When you cut through all of the legaleze the bottom line is a vote for allows power companies to charge solar users that need to tap into the system on occasion what ever they want.  

Check out this link:   http://www.flsolarchoice.org/

Why should senior citizens get property tax breaks? How does this malarkey even make it to a vote?
Quote:Why should senior citizens get property tax breaks? How does this malarkey even make it to a vote?

Maybe so they don't get property taxed out of their house that they've lived in and paid for most of their lives just because it might suddenly be in a "desirable" neighborhood?
Quote:Maybe so they don't get property taxed out of their house that they've lived in and paid for most of their lives just because it might suddenly be in a "desirable" neighborhood?

Isn't that what homestead is for? It can't increase more than a certain percentage every year, right?

Should home owners under 30 get special treatment too? Where does it end?
Quote:Isn't that what homestead is for? It can't increase more than a certain percentage every year, right?

Should home owners under 30 get special treatment too? Where does it end?

Meh...I'm okay with giving the old folks a break.
Quote:Meh...I'm okay with giving the old folks a break.

The whole system is designed to transfer the wealth of the young to the old as it is. Enough is enough.
Older people have had all their life to save properly!
I don't want to seem non-compassionate towards old people, but they are already getting the social security being taken out of my paycheck to which I will likely never see a dime when my time comes. The property tax amendment just seems like a bit much.

Having said that, I am 100% for wounded veterans getting every possible break, and then some.
Big fat no on 1. REALLY shady.
There are no TV ads for or against ballot issues here, so I never even thought the state or Alachua County might have one.

No

Yes

Yes

No

Not that it matters in my case.
Amendments are being worded to trick the masses of uneducated who have the power to vote but no initiative to research. This is a very scary thing.
Quote:No

Yes

Yes

No

Not that it matters in my case.

I agree with u on the last one, but what is your reason for no?
Quote:Amendments are being worded to trick the masses of uneducated who have the power to vote but no initiative to research. This is a very scary thing.
We need a ballot amendment to ensure all ballot amendments are worded in a clear, simple and straight forward manner.  It would probably be convoluted though.
Quote:We need a ballot amendment to ensure all ballot amendments are worded in a clear, simple and straight forward manner. It would probably be convoluted though.

It is bad when there are while advertising campaigns explaining exactly what the amendment means.
Quote:The whole system is designed to transfer the wealth of the young to the old as it is. Enough is enough.

Quote:I agree with u on the last one, but what is your reason for no?

Basically what flsprtsgod said; senior citizens already get tons of financial breaks, they don't need more and that burden certainly shouldn't be shifted onto a generation that is struggling enough financially as it is. Plus, with Florida's population of retired people this just reeks of easy populism. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9