Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Biden: 'We Will Take, Literally, Millions of Automobiles Off the Road'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yeah, sure.... Then we'll watch the States and the Feds [BLEEP], moan, cry, and complain about lost revenues from the gasoline tax..... Where do you plan to make that up Biden? You'll need to get the money from somewhere to upkeep infrastructure.....

Biden: 'We Will Take, Literally, Millions of Automobiles Off the Road'

Given the opportunity to plug his big-government agenda in Scranton on Wednesday, President Joe Biden spent the first 12 minutes wandering down memory lane, telling stories about his early life in that city.

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/national...tbMhyXhG4g
ok so people are supposed to do what after getting off a train? Call a cab to get to your job? Ride a bike? C'mon Joe, that [BLEEP] aint gonna work.
GOP taking back all 3 branches of government are a given in the next 3 years. Question is, will this country be too broken to recover by then.
(11-07-2021, 09:22 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]ok so people are supposed to do what after getting off a train? Call a cab to get to your job? Ride a bike? C'mon Joe, that [BLEEP] aint gonna work.

They're supposed to get off the Intercity train, and get on the commuter rail, or the city bus. Cities like Charlotte and Atlanta that already have good bus systems are ready for Intercity rail. Cities like Orlando and Tampa that don't, are not.
(11-07-2021, 10:07 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 09:22 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]ok so people are supposed to do what after getting off a train? Call a cab to get to your job? Ride a bike? C'mon Joe, that [BLEEP] aint gonna work.

They're supposed to get off the Intercity train, and get on the commuter rail, or the city bus. Cities like Charlotte and Atlanta that already have good bus systems are ready for Intercity rail. Cities like Orlando and Tampa that don't, are not.

I've been to Switzerland a few times, and I always marvel at their public transportation system.  Trains, trams, buses, boats... they are all interconnected, and run like clockwork.  Everything is on time, everything is clean, it's all synced up and it all works perfectly.
(11-07-2021, 10:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 10:07 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]They're supposed to get off the Intercity train, and get on the commuter rail, or the city bus. Cities like Charlotte and Atlanta that already have good bus systems are ready for Intercity rail. Cities like Orlando and Tampa that don't, are not.

I've been to Switzerland a few times, and I always marvel at their public transportation system.  Trains, trams, buses, boats... they are all interconnected, and run like clockwork.  Everything is on time, everything is clean, it's all synced up and it all works perfectly.

Switzerland also has a population of 9M. The federal government is trying to get the one guy who can implement visions like this to sell his Tesla stock to pay more in taxes.
I wish I could take good public transit to work every day, but Jacksonville is way too poorly planned and sprawling for it to be retrofit.

However, a good self driving vehicle fleet and an adjustment in what a lot of managers expect of their workforce could dramatically lower the need and demand for personal vehicles. If I could work from home, which is an entirely reasonable thing for someone that works in my field, I could get along with very little need for a personal vehicle, even in Jax.
(11-07-2021, 10:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I could take good public transit to work every day, but Jacksonville is way too poorly planned and sprawling for it to be retrofit.

However, a good self driving vehicle fleet and an adjustment in what a lot of managers expect of their workforce could dramatically lower the need and demand for personal vehicles. If I could work from home, which is an entirely reasonable thing for someone that works in my field, I could get along with very little need for a personal vehicle, even in Jax.

Practice what you preach then. Ride a bike to the bus stop and take public transportation to your job.

Quit telling us what you could do and do it.
(11-07-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 10:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I could take good public transit to work every day, but Jacksonville is way too poorly planned and sprawling for it to be retrofit.

Practice what you preach then. Ride a bike to the bus stop and take public transportation to your job.

I won't get into it but that's not feasible for me.

But like I said, with a little more understanding and less self-centeredness in the world demand for vehicles and demand for gas could be dramatically lowered.

A nice side effect of that would be that persons like yourself would have cheaper gas and less traffic. I don't expect you to change your outlook based on advantages you could experience from changing it, but you could definitely be advantages by letting go of your belief that you're already correct and don't need introspection.
(11-07-2021, 11:08 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Practice what you preach then. Ride a bike to the bus stop and take public transportation to your job.

I won't get into it but that's not feasible for me.

But like I said, with a little more understanding and less self-centeredness in the world demand for vehicles and demand for gas could be dramatically lowered.

A nice side effect of that would be that persons like yourself would have cheaper gas and less traffic. I don't expect you to change your outlook based on advantages you could experience from changing it, but you could definitely be advantages by letting go of your belief that you're already correct and don't need introspection.

I work from home and fill up once a month, so my main concern here is for other people who don't. I am also smart enough to understand what powers homes that charge these cars everyone is pushing amd also their damage to the environment.

Oil is plentiful. Stop punishing people for politicial reasons when the country isn't ready for a viable alternative.
We already took millions of cars off the road with Cash for Clunkers, all that did was destroy the used car market and drive up prices.
(11-07-2021, 11:28 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 11:08 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I won't get into it but that's not feasible for me.

I work from home and fill up once a month, so my main concern here is for other people who don't. I am also smart enough to understand what powers homes that charge these cars everyone is pushing amd also their damage to the environment.

Oil is plentiful. Stop punishing people for politicial reasons when the country isn't ready for a viable alternative.

What? You seem to have read a lot that isn't in my post.
Great idea. 

Destroy the automobile industry and the millions of jobs in it.  

Cut oil and natural gas production so poor and middle class families pay the price.  

I've been to Europe and Southwest Asia where they have more public transportation and it's inconvenient and won't work for America because we're much more rural and suburban.  Also, European countries that tried to go green have reverted back to traditional fossil fuels because of rising inflation and electric shortages.  

That doesn't mean I'm against renewable energy, because I have a solar power system.  It just has to be done correctly, not jammed down everyone's throat.

perhaps you need to get out of Jacksonville in your lifetime to see how transit systems work.
(11-07-2021, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

perhaps you need to get out of Jacksonville in your lifetime to see how transit systems work.

Well, in Lakeland, Bradenton, Clermont, Orange Park, Madison, Lake City they've all pretty much failed. Since most of the Country is like those places it seems we're at an impasse.
(11-07-2021, 12:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps you need to get out of Jacksonville in your lifetime to see how transit systems work.

Well, in Lakeland, Bradenton, Clermont, Orange Park, Madison, Lake City they've all pretty much failed. Since most of the Country is like those places it seems we're at an impasse.

And in atlanta, Charlotte, and perhaps a few other cities up that way, they are totally ready for this.
(11-07-2021, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 12:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Well, in Lakeland, Bradenton, Clermont, Orange Park, Madison, Lake City they've all pretty much failed. Since most of the Country is like those places it seems we're at an impasse.

And in atlanta, Charlotte, and perhaps a few other cities up that way, they are totally ready for this.

Yeah, everyone just loves MARTA.
(11-07-2021, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Great idea, let’s use Montana as our measuring stick.
(11-07-2021, 12:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2021, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]And in atlanta, Charlotte, and perhaps a few other cities up that way, they are totally ready for this.

Yeah, everyone just loves MARTA.

Public transportation doesn't ask for you to love it. It just ask for you to use it, and they do.
Destroy and rebuild. That's the MO.

That said, I have always said public transit can and does work if people want to buy into it. It is not as convenient as driving, but it does work. I think big cities benefit from having a nice public transit system.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7