Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Teams top 5 needs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
After these waves in FA, what do yall think are our top 5 needs?

1. WR1
2. LG
3. Edge/OLB
4. MLB
5. SS

Wildcard: DT/3-4 DE

I love how the draft matches up with our needs.  I thing we can go true BPA
Yeah. In agreement there. Jaglou had a good mock up yesterday in the college thread about some of these needs. I also feel the value will align perfectly based on that need without it feeling like a reach.

Aidan Hutchinson should be the pick right out the gates. That takes care of the edge/OLB position. I think a trade should be in play to get a WR like Jameson Williams or even Chris Olave. I think ideally you could land a solid ILB at some point in RD3/RD4. Troy Anderson comes to mind. Christian Harris is another viable option. I like Brandon Smith as well in an inside role in a 3 - 4 scheme out of Penn State.

I mentioned the Safety concern in the nickel/slot CB thread yesterday too. That Sterling kid out of Miami (OH) has the look and feel of a Mike Caldwell type "roamer" in his aggressive style of defense. Good size. Can play single high or come up to the box to pop you in the ground game. Would be a great compliment to Cisco.

I think they'll put DT on the back burner now. After they picked up that kid from the Jets they're probably hoping he enables guys like Malcolm Brown and Robertson-Harris to free up a bit more in the pass rushing department while he eats up the ground game.
1. DE opposite Allen
2. Big body X receiver
3. Interior OL
4. TE - to develop to replace Engram
5. CB - to develop to replace Griffen
(03-17-2022, 06:18 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. In agreement there. Jaglou had a good mock up yesterday in the college thread about some of these needs. I also feel the value will align perfectly based on that need without it feeling like a reach.

Aidan Hutchinson should be the pick right out the gates. That takes care of the edge/OLB position. I think a trade should be in play to get a WR like Jameson Williams or even Chris Olave. I think ideally you could land a solid ILB at some point in RD3/RD4. Troy Anderson comes to mind. Christian Harris is another viable option. I like Brandon Smith as well in an inside role in a 3 - 4 scheme out of Penn State.

I mentioned the Safety concern in the nickel/slot CB thread yesterday too. That Sterling kid out of Miami (OH) has the look and feel of a Mike Caldwell type "roamer" in his aggressive style of defense. Good size. Can play single high or come up to the box to pop you in the ground game. Would be a great compliment to Cisco.

I think they'll put DT on the back burner now. After they picked up that kid from the Jets they're probably hoping he enables guys like Malcolm Brown and Robertson-Harris to free up a bit more in the pass rushing department while he eats up the ground game.

Agree for the most part, although I don't really want to trade up from 33 unless the WRs start dropping like flies.  I think a really good one will be there and it cost a lot more to move up into round 1 than any other round.  We will likely have to give up both 3rds unless we just move up 1 or 2 spots.  I just have a feeling Watson will be there at 33 and I thing he has the highest upside of any WR in the draft, it will be like AJ Brown, Metcalf,  Moore last year falling to the 2nd.  I think the 3rd is where we need to move up from.  I wouldn't be opposed to moving up from 33 but I think a really could player will fall to us there
(03-17-2022, 06:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 06:18 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. In agreement there. Jaglou had a good mock up yesterday in the college thread about some of these needs. I also feel the value will align perfectly based on that need without it feeling like a reach.

Agree for the most part, although I don't really want to trade up from 33 unless the WRs start dropping like flies.  I think a really good one will be there and it cost a lot more to move up into round 1 than any other round.  We will likely have to give up both 3rds unless we just move up q or 2 spots.  I just have a feeling Watson will be there at 33 and I thing he has the highest upside of any WR in the draft, it will be l8ke AJ Brown, Metcalf,  Moore last year falling to the 2nd.  I thing the 3rd is where we need to move up from.  I wouldn't be opposes to moving up from 33 but I think a really could player will fall to us there

It's risky. My only fear is Philadelphia with those three picks. I am hoping they go all in on defense and they bypass the WR position completely. However, if they decide to take a WR at some point I fear it will trigger the domino effect and a run will start. Then you have to start worrying about teams like New England, Green Bay, Kansas City, Tampa Bay & Detroit right in front of us at 32. 

Any of those teams could go WR to benefit their QB's that are already in the play-off discussion just because of how they play as it stands and Detroit just needing to keep adding pieces around Goff before they decide to move on from him. They added Chark but I could still see them looking at a guy like Dotson to compliment him. St. Brown was a good rookie last year as well.
(03-17-2022, 06:42 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 06:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Agree for the most part, although I don't really want to trade up from 33 unless the WRs start dropping like flies.  I think a really good one will be there and it cost a lot more to move up into round 1 than any other round.  We will likely have to give up both 3rds unless we just move up q or 2 spots.  I just have a feeling Watson will be there at 33 and I thing he has the highest upside of any WR in the draft, it will be l8ke AJ Brown, Metcalf,  Moore last year falling to the 2nd.  I thing the 3rd is where we need to move up from.  I wouldn't be opposes to moving up from 33 but I think a really could player will fall to us there

It's risky. My only fear is Philadelphia with those three picks. I am hoping they go all in on defense and they bypass the WR position completely. However, if they decide to take a WR at some point I fear it will trigger the domino effect and a run will start. Then you have to start worrying about teams like New England, Green Bay, Kansas City, Tampa Bay & Detroit right in front of us at 32. 

Any of those teams could go WR to benefit their QB's that are already in the play-off discussion just because of how they play as it stands and Detroit just needing to keep adding pieces around Goff before they decide to move on from him. They added Chark but I could still see them looking at a guy like Dotson to compliment him. St. Brown was a good rookie last year as well.
The Packers and BB doesn't take WRs in the first.  Tampa just resigned Godwin and signed Gage, if they don't resign Gronk I could see them taking McBride which would suck and they still need a guard.  KC possibly could or they could go secondary l, Detroit is the one team I think could take a WR there, the good thing is they just signed Chark.
(03-17-2022, 07:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 06:42 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's risky. My only fear is Philadelphia with those three picks. I am hoping they go all in on defense and they bypass the WR position completely. However, if they decide to take a WR at some point I fear it will trigger the domino effect and a run will start. Then you have to start worrying about teams like New England, Green Bay, Kansas City, Tampa Bay & Detroit right in front of us at 32. 

The Packers and BB doesn't take WRs in the first.  Tampa just resigned Godwin and signed Gage, if they don't resign Gronk I could see them taking McBride which would suck and they still need a guard.  KC possibly could or they could go secondary l, Detroit is the one team I think could take a WR there, the good thing is they just signed Chark.

The Packers dropped fat loot on Rodgers to stay in Green Bay. They're going to have to work out a long term deal somehow with DeVante Adams. I don't think Allen Lazard has resigned and I also think they had another WR out there in the market that hasn't decided to return yet. 

I think they're going to drastically change their approach in this draft and next year's draft in order to try and hit pay dirt with Rodgers before he retires. I could very easily see them drafting a guy like Burks, Dotson or even Watson if they're on the board. 

I could see Kansas City taking McBride. Kelce is 33 years old. He's probably the third to fifth highest cap hit on their roster. Makes a lot of sense to find his successor now. McBride fits that mold.
From ESPN article :

Quote:The Jaguars still have to find another edge rusher to pair with Josh Allen and Dawuane Smoot, another receiver, at least one more linebacker, and figure out who will start at left guard, but the roster is in better shape now than it was Monday morning. They also have 12 draft picks and could address some of those issues (possibly edge rusher with Aidan Hutchinson at the No. 1 overall pick) 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3352...ding-spree
(03-17-2022, 07:07 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 07:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The Packers and BB doesn't take WRs in the first.  Tampa just resigned Godwin and signed Gage, if they don't resign Gronk I could see them taking McBride which would suck and they still need a guard.  KC possibly could or they could go secondary l, Detroit is the one team I think could take a WR there, the good thing is they just signed Chark.

The Packers dropped fat loot on Rodgers to stay in Green Bay. They're going to have to work out a long term deal somehow with DeVante Adams. I don't think Allen Lazard has resigned and I also think they had another WR out there in the market that hasn't decided to return yet

I think they're going to drastically change their approach in this draft and next year's draft in order to try and hit pay dirt with Rodgers before he retires. I could very easily see them drafting a guy like Burks, Dotson or even Watson if they're on the board. 

I could see Kansas City taking McBride. Kelce is 33 years old. He's probably the third to fifth highest cap hit on their roster. Makes a lot of sense to find his successor now. McBride fits that mold.

Valdes-Scantling I presume you mean above. I think you're right though, they will surely go all in on offence in the draft (including trading Jordan Love too if they get a decent offer)
(03-17-2022, 07:29 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]From ESPN article :

Quote:The Jaguars still have to find another edge rusher to pair with Josh Allen and Dawuane Smoot, another receiver, at least one more linebacker, and figure out who will start at left guard, but the roster is in better shape now than it was Monday morning. They also have 12 draft picks and could address some of those issues (possibly edge rusher with Aidan Hutchinson at the No. 1 overall pick) 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3352...ding-spree

Sounds about right. I am hoping Baalke's aggressive approach this week in the market carries right on over into the draft next month. There's no reason to sit on 12 picks in total. Especially in the 6t round. If there's a quality WR1, LB or LG that can immediately start for this football team I am not going to fault him for trading up to grab him. 

I think the general consensus is that Hutchinson is the guy on opening night to go along with Allen and Smoot. The fact that they didn't go after players like Gregory and Chandler at DE pretty much sealed that pick up for me. After Thibodeaux's immaturity and Hutchinson's showing at the combine he's clearly the pick. 

Really hoping WR1 is there on the 2nd night of the draft though. In an ideal world? Jameson Williams somehow falls there. However, his upside is probably too great to pass up on for most teams. I would be fine with Watson or Burks if they slip there. I think RD3 is where you can get a starting caliber LG, possibly Sayler out of Georgia. I also think you can get you another LB there for sure. 

After that? Need to be on the phone trying to wheel and deal those picks in RD4, RD5 and especially RD6 to climb back up into the bottom of RD3 or early RD4 for another player with starting potential. Landing 3 - 5 starters in this year's class is doable. I still think RT needs to be addressed. Unless the intention is Little taking it over.
(03-17-2022, 06:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]After these waves in FA, what do yall think are our top 5 needs?

1. WR1
2. LG
3. Edge/OLB
4. MLB
5. SS

Not a bad list 

RB is probably in there in the same area as #4 or #5 though 
Wouldn't draft until 5th rd personally

Safety and ILB are needs - but there are options on the roster at least. 
Just want to see upgrades. 

The first three on this list are more dire needs for sure. 

Also -  "true BPA" is a myth. 
Needs and anticipated needs are almost always considered with every pick.
(03-17-2022, 08:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 06:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]After these waves in FA, what do yall think are our top 5 needs?

1. WR1
2. LG
3. Edge/OLB
4. MLB
5. SS

Not a bad list 

Welp. Be prepared to have the bolded argued until you're blue in the face.

As far as needs, obviously, pass rusher but that's going to be filled by Hutchinson. I would still like to add another pass rusher besides Hutch. Need an outside receiver and I 100% agree with others who have said to trade up for Olave, London or Jamo. Jamo being my favorite of the 3. Then I would say interior Oline.
(03-17-2022, 08:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 08:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Not a bad list 

As far as needs, obviously, pass rusher but that's going to be filled by Hutchinson. I would still like to add another pass rusher besides Hutch. Need an outside receiver and I 100% agree with others who have said to trade up for Olave, London or Jamo. Jamo being my favorite of the 3. Then I would say interior Oline.

Everything I've read about needs suggests there are at least 10 teams targeting receiver possibly as early as round 1 so competition will be high.
(03-17-2022, 08:23 AM)wassy04 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2022, 08:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Welp. Be prepared to have the bolded argued until you're blue in the face.

Everything I've read about needs suggests there are at least 10 teams targeting receiver possibly as early as round 1 so competition will be high.

Yep. I fear we'll see a run at WR early on the opening night. This is really a deep WR class. Probably the deepest class since 2014. I think there was five first rounders in that class. Then there was six first rounders just two years ago in 2020. 2020 had a record 12 or 13 receivers drafted within the top 60. 

The need for WR's continues to go up as the NFL continues to place an emphasis on the passing game and QB position. That's why LB's seem to be getting lighter and smaller to compensate in being able to drop back into coverage more often than not in zone schemes or keep up with these guys running slants and pick plays. 

I could see the Jets and Giants investing an early pick at WR. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Philadelphia with those picks are probably in that conversation. You can make a strong case for New England, Las Vegas, Arizona and then the rest of the teams I cited earlier. Probably looking at a minimum of five receivers taken in the opening night of the draft. 

They're going to have to trade up IMHO to land one of the top receivers. It'll be interesting at 7 (Giants), 10 (Jets), 13 (Cleveland), 15, 16 (Philadelphia) and then 21 (New England, Las Vegas, Arizona) - 23. You have to look at the Bills and Tacks as well. They could use some more offensive firepower at picks 25 and 26. 

This honestly [BLEEP] sucks for this team. You're going to have to hope like hell a run doesn't start. You might luck out and have a chance to choose McBride or Watson with pick 33. I would honestly rather see Jalen Tolbert, David Bell or George Pickens in RD3 so they could focus more on the TE or G position in RD2. I really like Sayler at G/T out of Georgia for this football team. 

I think you might have to consider him in the running there. Might seem crazy to a few folks but he's pretty good. I would rather go that route. Then maybe go David Bell at 65 and Woods at TE instead at 70.
(03-17-2022, 08:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]

Well aware of the cult of BAP warriors entrenched amongst us.  It's a beautiful idea, but so are unicorns and utopia. 

I could be all good with Hutch and Allen manning the pass rush duties and rotating in Smoot and hopefully that 4th rounder  (Smith?) we've not really seen yet.  Another jar on the shelf would be cool, but I'd like to spend picks on more barren position groups if value lines up well enough. 

XWR and IOL are def big on my list and I'm not opposed to a trade up if that's what it takes for a worthy X.
1) X / WR1
2) LG
3) ILB
4) RB
5) a patient fanbase

ARV: SS, pass-catching TE

I don't see pass rush as a glaring need, but Hutch should still be top pick as BAP.
1.) Outside WR who can stretch the field
2.) ILB A thumper who can go sideline to sideline
3.) Developmental TE
4.) OG
5a.) C/OG
5b.) Possession WR with great hands and route running who can keep the chains moving

I didn't include DE/OLB, because I'm assuming we take Aiden Hutchinson.
(03-17-2022, 08:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

1. WR1
2. LG
3. Edge/OLB
4. MLB
5. SS

Not a bad list 

It's a myth to you because you don't believe in it. As Bruce Arians once said, you draft for need and you get fired, Dave Caldwell.  Last year Baalke done a good job with it, hopefully he stay on the course and don't draft need if there is a better player a a different position
(03-17-2022, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a myth to you because you don't believe in it. As Bruce Arians once said, you draft for need and you get fired, Dave Caldwell.  Last year Baalke done a good job with it, hopefully he stay on the course and don't draft need if there is a better player a a different position

I believe in the concept.

I just know and understand the real world application of the concept involves tailoring it to suit need and (ultimately) value. 

You can dig up 20 quotes of GMs and coaches eschewing BAP drafting and I can find you 40 examples of them drafting needs in the early rounds. 

I'll not beleaguer the thread any longer debating it after this post  - but the concept of pure BAP and the reality of drafting for need meet on draft day at a crossroads called "value." 

Front Offices make value picks when they select a player they've rated just slightly lower than another available player because they need him to fill a spot. It will probably happen this way 40+ times on April 28th and 29th. Teams will pass on a guy they grade 9.2 out of ten to take a 9.0 at a position of need. This is just how it works when the highest guy on your board isn't a need. You keep looking down your list and try not to reach too far down. 
Happens over and over again every Spring.
(03-17-2022, 06:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

Agree for the most part, although I don't really want to trade up from 33 unless the WRs start dropping like flies.  I think a really good one will be there and it cost a lot more to move up into round 1 than any other round.  We will likely have to give up both 3rds unless we just move up 1 or 2 spots.  I just have a feeling Watson will be there at 33 and I thing he has the highest upside of any WR in the draft, it will be like AJ Brown, Metcalf,  Moore last year falling to the 2nd.  I think the 3rd is where we need to move up from.  I wouldn't be opposed to moving up from 33 but I think a really could player will fall to us there

The decision on whether to trade back up into round 1 for a receiver will be a tough one, for sure. Baalke/Peterson will likely begin considering to move up after pick 20, depending on when the run of wide receivers begins. My preference for Jameson Williams is based on the fact that he has an elite skill-set and performed at the highest level against the best competition college football has to offer. The only question is whether his ACL will have any effect on his performance once he returns. Reportedly, he is making good progress with his rehab program. The consensus among medical experts is that an injury like this should not impact his performance once he returns. This differs from Travis Etienne's lisfranc injury where the prognosis for a full recovery is less certain.

The wide receiver class is very deep, no doubt. The Jaguars can't be blamed for waiting until pick 33 and taking Pickens, Watson or Dotson. I have no doubt that at least one of those 3 will be available. Pickens is probably the highest risk/reward player in this draft. He has all the physical tools to be an elite number 1 receiver in the NFL. It's easy to "fall in love" with him after watching him make unbelievable catches against Alabama. However, he is very inconsistent and has been called un-disciplined by his own coach. This is evidenced by his ejection against Georgia Tech as well as having punched his own teammate. Watson's combine performance was incredible and he certainly has the physical tools to be a number 1 receiver. However, his numbers at North Dakota State were not that impressive. No doubt, they are primarily a running team, but between these unimpressive numbers and his lack of elite competition, I would hesitate taking him at 33. Dotson is the safest of the 3 and I expect him to be a very good pro, but he will likely be taken in round 1. 

Williams would not have gotten past pick 10, if not for his injury. He has the potential to be a bigger version of Tyreek Hill, without the character problems. That is why I don't think twice trading up for him, even if the price is steep.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5