Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 4th and inches decision at end of game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just wondering if anyone agrees with me that the Jaguars should have gone for it on 4th and inches with just over 2 minutes left. Certainly, the field goal was the safe call and the Jaguars won, but why give the Titans a chance to win with a touchdown when all you need is a few inches. Bortles fumbled a q.b. sneak earlier and maybe this is why Bradley kicked, but I still say the odds of a 240 pound q.b. getting a couple inches was overwhelmingly in their favor which would have clinched the game. Even if he didn't make it, the Jags defense had been playing well and could have stopped the Titans.

No doubt, the Jaguars are very poor in short yardage situations, but if a team can't get a few inches they don't deserve to win anyway. I'm ecstatic that they won, but this is my opinion on that call. Does anyone agree ?

I don't think so. Kick a FG and you force them to get a TD.
I was screaming for the jags to go for it. Today it worked in our favor kicking the FG. Lets say they went for it and failed. tacks were in field goal range and would've tied it up. 

Yes, should have gone for it. On the flip-side, if they failed and TEN drove down and tied it with a FG leaving it to OT to decide the game.

It was a tough call, but with the tacks not really showing much threat on offense, I guess Gus took his chances with them having to drive down for the score.

In hindsight, it was more suspenseful than it should have been and with a 3-6 team, maybe going for it would have been a good idea just to seal the game and go into the long week with added confidence.

I'd like to see us go for it but this season we have failed over and over miserably on short yardage situations.

Come talk to me when we have an O Line we can trust.

I think that was a coin flip.  More importantly, hurns needs to get the first down.  He could have gone head first, but he has to know in that situation even if you go out of bounds a first down gives you more snaps to run the clock out.  I like where his head was to a point, but with that much time left he should have gotten that extra half yard.  

The good thing is that Meyers made it the right decision by making it.  I think that its a good long term sign that he was 4 for 4 on FGs and made his extra point.  If he settles in as a kicker that could save us a draft pick next april.  

Gus left the offense on the field, and Tennessee burned a timeout. I don't know if Gus did it on purpose, but it allowed special teams to take a bit more time getting into position. I think he did the right thing.

The FG put us up by 6 points so Tennessee had to go for a touchdown. The Titans had no timeouts. If we went for it and failed, they would just need to get into FG range to tie it up, which is doable without timeouts because there were over 2 minutes left. Good call.

Quote:I think that was a coin flip.  More importantly, Hurns needs to get the first down.  He could have gone head first, but he has to know in that situation even if you go out of bounds a first down gives you more snaps to run the clock out.  I like where his head was to a point, but with that much time left he should have gotten that extra half yard.  

The good thing is that Meyers made it the right decision by making it.  I think that its a good long term sign that he was 4 for 4 on FGs and made his extra point.  If he settles in as a kicker that could save us a draft pick next April.  

Staying in bounds was smart thinking on his part, but I would prefer he went down headfirst instead of feet first. That would have given us the first down there.

Who is Meyers and what decision did he make?
FG was the calculated decision.

However I wanted us to go for it. But the defense played lights out, so I was ok with the FG.
Quote:FG was the calculated decision.

However I wanted us to go for it. But the defense played lights out, so I was ok with the FG.

Tennessee called timeout to make us think about whether to go for it or kick. I think Gus Bradley was planning on going for it, then changed his mind when given time by Mike Mularkey.

I would have lined up and tried to get them offsides , then called a timeout and kicked it.

If Hurns goes for the first down, the game is over with a fresh set of downs.

Don't matter! We won and in the hunt!
Quote:I would have lined up and tried to get them offsides, then called a timeout and kicked it.

You are making no sense. If the Titans lined up offsides we would have gotten the first down and kept running with the ball. If the clock was our enemy, Hurns would have run out of bounds.
Quote:You are making no sense. If the Titans lined up offsides we would have gotten the first down and kept running with the ball. If the clock was our enemy, Hurns would have run out of bounds.

Attempting to draw the defense offsides happens every single game in the history of football.

What planet are you from?
I thought we should've went for it, but it worked out in the end. It's a call I disagree with, but one I won't criticize.

It was the smart/right play. A real aggressive and gambling coach probably goes for it there (high risk, high reward). I bet ya most winning percentage coaches kick it there just like the Jags did.

-The Jags short yardage offense is terrible.

-Miss it, and the other team only needs enough yardage for a FG attempt instead of a mandatory TD.

It was definitely the right call IMO. The Titans finished the game well in FG range.

What would you guys think if they just had to try a FG instead of a last play TD pass attempt?
It was the right call.
If we had mjd in his prime it's a no brainer. If we had Garrard who was a top QB sneak I'd consider it. Not with our short yardage play this year. No way unless it is against a Tom Brady etc.
Was the right call imo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6