Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why the defense stinks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Under Dave Caldwell, draft picks in the first 3 rounds, where you expect to find starters:

Offense: LT, QB, WR, WR, RB, G, G

Defense: S, CB, LEO

Conclusion: This regime has focused on adding talent on the offensive side of the ball, and it looks like it may be starting to pay off. The defense simply doesn't have the horses right now. Give it time.

1 more offseason!  We should have the talent, but whose going to guide that talent is the question.

Quote:Under Dave Caldwell, draft picks in the first 3 rounds, where you expect to find starters:

Offense: LT, QB, WR, WR, RB, G, G

Defense: S, CB, LEO

Conclusion: This regime has focused on adding talent on the offensive side of the ball, and it looks like it may be starting to pay off. The defense simply doesn't have the horses right now. Give it time.
Under Dave Caldwell the offense has been primarily supplimented through the draft and the defense was supplimented through FA...

Yet still, as been said, "Give it Time"...

NH3...
An additional tidbit is health. The D is getting healthier to which they'll play better to say the least...

NH3...

Very few high draft picks, injuries, too much soft zone,  and streaks of just horrible missed tackles have this defense struggling, IMO. 

I would normally hesitate to point fingers at coaches when a very young unit are missing a few tackles, but we are beyond that. 

There's got to be some better guidance for Telvin and the safeties.  Too many glaring whiffs by those guys lately. Telvin is still learning (and makes his share of good plays too), but Cyp should be over that stuff by now. 

The LBs REALLY suffered w/o Poz last week.  Let's hope we can get a semi-healthy #51 out there this week. 

Pass rush.

Quote:Pass rush.
Truth.

100%. Fowler injured, Marks injured. Branch has not gotten any better. Odrick has been mediocre outside of the Miami game. 

Yeah. Definitely, that too. 
I would not be surprised if all of next year's top picks are on rush ends and linebackers. Like the top of the 2014 was all about the passing offense.

Quote:Truth.
Our number 1 pick was supposed to help this.

Ideally, if we had Fowler and Marks healthy, this group would be playing a lot better. 
Quote:Our number 1 pick was supposed to help this.

Ideally, if we had Fowler and Marks healthy, this group would be playing a lot better. 

#PassRush2016
Quote:Our number 1 pick was supposed to help this.

Honestly not sure that would have helped enough. I'm with Bon Jagley and SDR- The majority of our draft needs to be front 7 next year.
Quote:Honestly not sure that would have helped enough. I'm with Bon Jagley and SDR- The majority of our draft needs to be front 7 next year.
Agree. 2 LBs

a DT and DE...

and a S

all in the first 3 rounds...

make it happen Dave!

edit: pending FA

Last week was embarrasing. Poz should not be that critical to the run defense. The Panthers have been without Kuechly and Lotulelei most of the season and have the 6th ranked run defense.

Quote:Honestly not sure that would have helped enough. I'm with Bon Jagley and SDR- The majority of our draft needs to be front 7 next year.

Agreed. I think at this point the offense is set. Maybe they pick up a better LG via FA or the draft, but i see them focusing on the defense now.
Quote:Last week was embarrasing. Poz should not be that critical to the run defense. The Panthers have been without Kuechly and Lotulelei most of the season and have the 6th ranked run defense.
Yeah... it def wasn't all on Poz being out, Thurston the rook being in....

everyone missed tackles
Correct me if I'm wrong, but our run d prior to this game was doing pretty good. It's as though last Sunday we were completely caught off guard as to what the bucs we're planning on doing.
Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but our run d prior to this game was doing pretty good. It's as though last Sunday we were completely caught off guard as to what the bucs we're planning on doing.
It was, i couldn't believe what i was seeing.  We shut down Gore completely until one run in OT.
It really isn't the pass rush.  It's a combination of our scheme and our linebackers not being able to stop the underneath stuff.  Fill the line with whatever hall of fame players that you wish, but they aren't going to get home very often when offenses do a 3 step drop and get the ball out immediately to their primary receiver.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6