Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Truth about Bortles' completion percentage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I've seen a lot of people bring this up as a point of contention with him, even though we freaking see all the dropped balls by receivers, so I thought it would be good to put it into perspective for people who don't keep track.

Bortles is 85 out of 156 for a 54.5% completion percentage rate. Our receivers have dropped 11 balls, and that's not even including stuff like last week where A-Rob tried to high point the ball instead of running under it like he should have. If you add those 11 drops, he would be at a completion percentage of 61.5%. If you add the one play from last week with A-Rob to those drops as well then the completion percentage goes up to 62.1%. That's just behind Derek Carr's completion percentage of 62.6% and he doesn't have anywhere near the drops we do and doesn't attack downfield quite as much. Not to mention Bortles would be WELL over (understatement) 1000 yards without the drops. You see the difference those 11 drops makes in how good your QB's stats look. 

That's also not even considering how many of those dropped balls would have converted third downs and extended drives for Bortles to put up even more stats and could have resulted in TDs...

In before Baconator says Bortles sucks

2 things:

1: In addition, he's had a lot of batted balls, throw aways when recievers aren't open, and spikes to kill the clock.

2: So do all the other QBs in the NFL.

Blake's showing progress but still has a lot of growing to do.

There are only 3 other teams in the league with more drops than this team. Yes Blake has a lot of growing to do still but just ignore the out standing problems this team has the Blake has no effect on is not fair to him. you can only judge him on what he can control.

Quote:There are only 3 other teams in the league with more drops than this team. Yes Blake has a lot of growing to do still but just ignore the out standing problems this team has the Blake has no effect on is not fair to him. you can only judge him on what he can control.

This. He's hit multiple reciever right in the hands so many times.

As was said before, outside of just boosting his completion percentage, think of how many more yards and scoring opportunities they could have provided. This offense has the tools, just need to clean it up.
Quote:This. He's hit multiple reciever right in the hands so many times.

As was said before, outside of just boosting his completion percentage, think of how many more yards and scoring opportunities they could have provided. This offense has the tools, just need to clean it up.
Yeah anyone that has said Blake hasn't looked good or taken some steps forward clearly ain't watching the same game I am. And JT will only help get more people open too
I believe he's making progress and I've written that too. With that said, by adding all 11 drops as completions, you're probably skewing his stats the other way. I believe every team has dropped a pass at this point in the season, so it's not realistic to think our pass catchers shouldn't have a single drop.

Quote:I believe he's making progress and I've written that too. With that said, by adding all 11 drops as completions, you're probably skewing his stats the other way. I believe every team has dropped a pass at this point in the season, so it's not realistic to think our pass catchers shouldn't have a single drop.

Well let's use the league average of 4 drops this season. That puts Blake at 92/156 for a 58.9% completion percentage.
Quote:Well let's use the league average of 4 drops this season. That puts Blake at 92/156 for a 58.9% completion percentage.

That's actually somewhat depressing due to being at practically triple the league average in terms of dropped passes. Sad
We have bigger problems than BB.  Henne is one..   

People have done this completion % adjustment for forever and it's such a waste of time.  

Quote:People have done this completion % adjustment for forever and it's such a waste of time.

The problem is we shouldn't even have to do it if our recievers would just catch the damn ball at a proper rate.
Quote:People have done this completion % adjustment for forever and it's such a waste of time.  

It's a waste of time unless you apply it across the board, or adjust the drop rate to league average rather than to 0%.
The truth about his completion percentage is...that it's 54.5%.

Adjusting for drops is pointless unless you do it for everyone.

Quote:I've seen a lot of people bring this up as a point of contention with him, even though we freaking see all the dropped balls by receivers, so I thought it would be good to put it into perspective for people who don't keep track.

Bortles is 85 out of 156 for a 54.5% completion percentage rate. Our receivers have dropped 11 balls, and that's not even including stuff like last week where A-Rob tried to high point the ball instead of running under it like he should have. If you add those 11 drops, he would be at a completion percentage of 61.5%. If you add the one play from last week with A-Rob to those drops as well then the completion percentage goes up to 62.1%. That's just behind Derek Carr's completion percentage of 62.6% and he doesn't have anywhere near the drops we do and doesn't attack downfield quite as much. Not to mention Bortles would be WELL over (understatement) 1000 yards without the drops. You see the difference those 11 drops makes in how good your QB's stats look. 

Wow ..... I think we've entered the spin cycle.   aka .... THE TEAL ZONE !!!

Quote:I've seen a lot of people bring this up as a point of contention with him, even though we freaking see all the dropped balls by receivers, so I thought it would be good to put it into perspective for people who don't keep track.

how about the dropped INTs
Quote:The truth about his completion percentage is...that it's 54.5%.

Adjusting for drops is pointless unless you do it for everyone.

pretty much this. 
There arent THAT many drops. Particularly this last week. His percentage was in the 50s and he maybe had 2 drops. Those things are gonna happen.

He has been horrible in 2nd halves. Dont blame it all on receivers. His accuracy takes a [BLEEP] at times
Last week in the 2nd half he had no time in the pocket, right side was pressuring him all 2nd half. Not sure what changed from 1st to 2nd but was not able to allow wrs get seperation and not able to step into the throws.

Hopefully he continues to grow and provress thru the season.

Being 1-3 could easily be 3-1 at this point, as a team we are that close to closing games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8