Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad Khan Buying Wembley Stadium

(04-26-2018, 02:12 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Is Mark Lamping being a conspiracy theorist when he describes an increasing Jaguar presence in London and the ongoing challenges of the Jacksonville market?  Was Roger Goodell being a conspiracy theorist when he said in 2014 that the NFL wants a team in London within 5-10 years?  

When billionaires want something to happen, it usually happens.  Playing a Jaguar game in London every year now seems like the most natural thing in the world.  It makes perfect business sense, and Mr. Lamping is happy to show you the charts.  And despite the rather shocking news today, the Jaguars owning Wembley Stadium will soon seem like the most natural thing in the world - we are currently being bombarded with all the reasons it makes perfect business sense.  And in a few years playing 2 games in London will seem like the most natural thing in the world - staying an extra week makes perfect business sense.

I am sure the fans will understand when the day comes when London Jaguars just makes perfect business sense.

(04-26-2018, 03:25 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:06 AM)Andy G Wrote: This is the funniest thing I’ve read on this forum for a while.

Was it meant to be a joke?

Yeah, sort of. The real joke is on us. 

The timing of this media bombshell suggests Khan is reminding Tom Coughlin who he wants drafted in the first round. If Tom doesn't give Khan that person, he'll pack up his team and move to London. If Khan is backed by Gene Frenette and the usual useful idiots like Frangie, etc. then you can be sure they have made THEIR pick and Coughlin had better comply.

We don't get umpteen first round BUSTOLAs without the local media's heavy involvement in depicting these lemons in a strange light.

The two of you should pool your money and open a hat shop in Khan's new riverfront shopping district downtown in a few years. 

You can specialize in tin foil fedoras.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We will move eventually

(04-26-2018, 03:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We will move eventually

Why?

(04-26-2018, 03:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 03:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We will move eventually

Why?

Because, 18:00 to 19:00 minutes of the State of the Franchise video, the revenue doubles in London.  Smart business choice is to move to London.

(04-26-2018, 03:01 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:53 AM)Andy G Wrote: I don’t think he will move the Jaguars either.

But could he put the team up for sale?

(Again, don’t think he will, but just looking at the options)

This is what Shad Khan has told the Fulham fans.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/...-statement

That letter is revealing. Khan is trying to keep London for us. Smart guy, I hope this makes teams shy away from trying to move there. I do get the impression if someone was trying to force their way into london he would pick moving the jags to london over staying with us and letting London go, but this message does sound like that isn't his goal to move right now.

You could be right, but I see it as a way of ensuring the Jaguars are always one of the teams playing there.  Should they decide to mix up the teams and bring Jax over less, that's a big hit to the franchise.  So, we're nearly guaranteed to remain playing there and thus protect that revenue stream.

I still think the NFL is a long, long way off from making full time NFL in London a viable reality.

I think it's also in the city's best interest to do everything they can to be prepared to welcome another franchise if they should move.  No franchise would want to move into a fixer upper/project.  If we've got fan support and the facilities are competitive, we should be in a position to be home to someone regardless of what may happen.

This is all pie in the sky, and I don't think that's a possibility but something to ponder.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

They're gone. The groundwork is being laid. Logistics, what the Mayor said, yadda yadda yadda.

I'll enjoy them while they remain here, then sayonara.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Money drives the Jaguars.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

The chances of the Jaguars moving to London vastly increased today. Anyone who doesn't understand that is fooling themselves.

We're already talking about Jacksonville having to pony up a Billion-dollar stadium in order to keep the team. You would have been called insane if you'd said that yesterday. Yet some say nothing changed.

A stadium issue was born today, among other things. When Shad looks at Podunk Jacksonville and the challenges he faces just building a few amenities around the outdated stadium, he will increasingly compare his options here to those in London, where the mayor is named Khan and where the Jaguars can be marketed to a whole football-starved COUNTRY and all of the European CONTINENT.

Good thing the NFL would never allow it...ah..never mind. Jax is toast - with no marmalade. Enjoy the remaining years in Jacksonville, and be prepared to pay increasingly for the privilege.

(04-26-2018, 02:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Really, really bad timing. Which isn't good business sense wise here locally in Jacksonville. Khan has finally produced a great product here after ten long years of obscurity. I believe in his commitment towards this city and team.

But the timing is just awful.

To be fair, the Jaguars didn’t choose the timing - the story was broken by a newspaper in London

And I reckon it’ll be from a source within the English Football Association, rather than within the Jaguars organisation - because the paper is more likely to know people at the FA than the Jaguars.

But, for the story to come out on draft day and on the day of the official uniform launch does draw attention the wrong way.

And for it not to be mentioned in the State of the Franchise last week gives the unfortunate impression they have something to hide.

Interesting things are going on around the league... Fan dissatisfaction is growing and not all cities can cave to the NFL. You have the pressure of the next CBA (2020) as well. I have a feeling it is going to be a contentious fight. At least the head ball coach will have a Alliance Orlando team everyone can go watch when they start squeezing the fans too much.

Honestly I think the NFL Players Association is going to overplay their hand and crap on the league to the point where fans will be turned off. We shall see. Got the big goof ball commissioner they should have never extended as well. That guy is a very rich overcompensated fool.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(04-26-2018, 04:03 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 03:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Why?

Because, 18:00 to 19:00 minutes of the State of the Franchise video, the revenue doubles in London.  Smart business choice is to move to London.

Four things:
  • the league is still a long way away from even figuring out how to have a full-time London team
  • the team is about to be making a really nice profit in Jacksonville with 7500 new season tickets sold at a mark-up from last season and numerous sell-outs practically guaranteed 
  • The presentation you are referencing endlessly talks about sustaining the Jags in Jacksonville and creative ways for revenue streams to flow back to the small market 
  • Wembley ownership will be one of those revenue streams ^ 

Quote:That was Jaguars President Mark Lamping’s message Thursday when discussing news that Owner Shad Khan is trying to purchase Wembley Stadium in London, and Lamping said something else:

The move absolutely is not a reason for panic or concern for Jaguars fans.

“Jacksonville drives the Jaguars, not London,” Lamping said in a conference call Thursday.

Khan, the Jaguars’ owner and owner of Fulham Football Club, has extended an offer to The Football Association board of directors to purchase the legendary London venue. Khan confirmed the offer in a statement Thursday.

“For the Jaguars, it would deliver another – and very significant – asset and local revenue source that would further strengthen our investment in London, which as everyone knows is crucial to the Jaguars’ continued sustainability in Jacksonville,” Khan said in a statement.

Lamping called Thursday “a really good day for us.”

“This is significant because it does great things as an extension of what Shad is already doing in London, and it does great things to solidify the Jaguars position here in Jacksonville,” he said.

Lamping on Thursday also addressed the Jaguars’ long-term future in Jacksonville, emphasizing that the Jaguars and the City of Jacksonville throughout Khan’s six years as owner have invested heavily in what is now TIAA Bank Field.

“I would ask fans to judge us on our actions, not on what possibly their fears might be,” Lamping said. “Shad does business all over the world. When Shad bought the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto, some people were saying, ‘Oh, here it comes … the Jaguars are moving to Toronto.’ Obviously nothing like that occurred. Our behavior here in Jacksonville has been the exact opposite of what you would expect [from] an owner if he was planning to leave the market.”

Lamping said he understands fans being anxious over Thursday’s news “because fans in this market were subjected to a number of years where there were constant threats of the team relocating.”

“What I would remind people: all of that predated Shad Khan’s purchase of the franchise,” Lamping added.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 05:07 PM by pirkster.)

(04-26-2018, 04:40 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Interesting things are going on around the league...  Fan dissatisfaction is growing and not all cities can cave to the NFL.  You have the pressure of the next CBA (2020) as well.  I have a feeling it is going to be a contentious fight.  At least the head ball coach will have a Alliance Orlando team everyone can go watch when they start squeezing the fans too much.

Honestly I think the NFL Players Association is going to overplay their hand and crap on the league to the point where fans will be turned off.  We shall see.  Got the big goof ball commissioner they should have never extended as well.  That guy is a very rich overcompensated fool.

Jax is one of only few markets that have seen an increase in attendance and viewership.  If that's a trend then there's less to worry about in the foreseeable future.

If those numbers remain strong, then they should not have a problem backfilling with a team in Jax should the current one go overseas.

But the city will have to prepare.

If LA can share two teams... why can't London and Jacksonville share two teams between them? Food for thought.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The NFL Player's Union isn't going to allow any team to move to London anytime soon. We all know the travel issues, but one thing people don't realize is the economics of it. I'm originally from Toronto and have seen just how difficult the exchange rate is on sports teams.

All players are paid in USD, with the team recieving CAD or BP in the UKs case. In Canada the team must bring in (roughly) 1.3x the revenue in order to pay player's salaries in USD. Teams and owners are able to do it, but it's not easy.

In the UK, the exchange rate is opposite. Players would be paid in USD while the team recieves revenue in BP that is worth 1.3x USD. So in essence, each player would be taking a 30% pay cut. A contract worth $300k USD is worth about 200k BP. The player's union would never stand for that.

The economics barely work for Canadian teams playing in US leagues because the Owners are willing to take the 30% hit, but there is no way the NFLPA will allow its players to take a 30% hit.

(04-26-2018, 05:10 PM)PVKnight Wrote: The NFL Player's Union isn't going to allow any team to move to London anytime soon. We all know the travel issues, but one thing people don't realize is the economics of it. I'm originally from Toronto and have seen just how difficult the exchange rate is on sports teams.

All players are paid in USD, with the team recieving CAD or BP in the UKs case. In Canada the team must bring in (roughly) 1.3x the revenue in order to pay player's salaries in USD. Teams and owners are able to do it, but it's not easy.

In the UK, the exchange rate is opposite. Players would be paid in USD while the team recieves revenue in BP that is worth 1.3x USD. So in essence, each player would be taking a 30% pay cut. A contract worth $300k USD is worth about 200k BP. The player's union would never stand for that.

The economics barely work for Canadian teams playing in US leagues because the Owners are willing to take the 30% hit, but there is no way the NFLPA will allow its players to take a 30% hit.

That's not how exchange rates work.

I have been warning you all the team would move to london for a while. No one wanted to belieave me. serveal people gave me a hard time. How muh more proof do you need to see team is moveing sooner then you think. Londen was talked about a lot in state of franchise,thats a hint. now Khan is buying a Stadium there.

another hint. I am going to estmiate by 2020 the team will move to london. NFL will announce it at end of 2019 season.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I think Khan probably knows that while the NFL can sell out two or three games at Wembley with a mixture of teams, it would be a massive challenge to find 90,000 British Jaguars fans to fill Wembley for a full eight games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he looked to play a second game in the UK, but he’d be a fool to try to move the franchise over to London.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 06:00 PM by PVKnight.)

(04-26-2018, 05:12 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 05:10 PM)PVKnight Wrote: The NFL Player's Union isn't going to allow any team to move to London anytime soon. We all know the travel issues, but one thing people don't realize is the economics of it. I'm originally from Toronto and have seen just how difficult the exchange rate is on sports teams.

That's not how exchange rates work.

That's how it works for Canadian teams in the MLB, NBA and NHL. How would it be different in the UK? USD is worth about 70% of the BP. That means a house that costs 500k BP is going to cost 600k of the players' salary in USD.

(04-26-2018, 04:20 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: The chances of the Jaguars moving to London vastly increased today.  Anyone who doesn't understand that is fooling themselves.  

We're already talking about Jacksonville having to pony up a Billion-dollar stadium in order to keep the team.  You would have been called insane if you'd said that yesterday.  Yet some say nothing changed.  

A stadium issue was born today, among other things.  When Shad looks at Podunk Jacksonville and the challenges he faces just building a few amenities around the outdated stadium, he will increasingly compare his options here to those in London, where the mayor is named Khan and where the Jaguars can be marketed to a whole football-starved COUNTRY and all of the European CONTINENT.

Good thing the NFL would never allow it...ah..never mind.  Jax is toast - with no marmalade.  Enjoy the remaining years in Jacksonville, and be prepared to pay increasingly for the privilege.
Stadium issue was born before Khan even took over. In fact, rennovation took place to prolong. 

How’d the NFL fair it’s last stint in Europe? This talk is rediculous. Europens in general have no interest in a permanent team/teams. It’s a novelty that wears fast. 

Those that see this as anything but an investment and additional revenue stream should stop hyperventilating. Enjoy the team now and enjoy being a fan now! What-ifs are useless.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-26-2018, 05:26 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I have been warning you all the team would move to london for a while.  No one wanted to belieave me. serveal people gave me a hard time. How muh more proof do you need to see team is moveing sooner then you think.  Londen was talked about a lot in state of franchise,thats a hint. now Khan is buying a  Stadium there.

another hint. I am going to estmiate by 2020 the team will move to london. NFL will announce it at end of 2019 season.
London has been part of SOF since NFL talked of playing a few games there. The NFL played games in Mexico also. Must mean a team moving shortly. Look this is all part of a eventual negotiated International series that will include multiple countries on a rotation basis. Next in line is Japan. Care to make a wager on who ends up right?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]