Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2019 Training Camp (Updates)

(08-14-2019, 09:16 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:   As to your last paragraph, that is a no go.  Marrone announced the game this week will be approached the same way as last week.

Thanks Bullseye, I get where Marrone is coming from, especially after the last 48/72hrs.

We seem to be focusing on just getting as many healthy guys to week 1 as we can. The play them/rest them argument will have hindsight in a few weeks!!! I get the logic but the first 7 games are tough. Theres healthy and football healthy.

Just seems a real change from that first Marrone training camp. 4 straight days of pads work in the heat.

It is a real change, but a couple of things in fairness to Marrone:

1.  Last year may have been an unprecedented degree of injuries in Marrone's career.  I don't think I've ever seen a Jaguars team that wound up missing four out of five starting OL by season's end...playing with the 4th LT-a guy who wasn't even on the team until mid season.

2.  There is a recent and not so recent precedent supporting such an approach.  Just last year, the Rams played few if any starters throughout last year's preseason, and it helped propel them to the Super Bowl.  Further back in the early 1990s, Bills' coach Marv Levy was notorious for not taking preseason seriously in terms of playing his starters.  That approach helped his team go to four straight Super Bowls.

Under normal circumstances I'd want the starters to have at least a series a week in the preseason.  But given how last year unfolded, and the injuries from which a lot of the players are returning, I don't blame Marrone for his approach.  In fact, you could argue his hand was forced to some degree.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-14-2019, 04:41 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 04:07 PM)NH3 Wrote: Sooooooo, we rest our starters in the first two pre-season games while our second and third stringers go up against our opponents first stringers. Within the last two pre-season games we play our starters that'll go against our opponent's second and beyond stringers.

Am I mistaken by saying that they'll (our starters) be more susceptible to injuries because of the fact that opponent's third stringers and beyond will be head hunting while trying to make the 53-Man roster?

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I don't think that it's a bad thing to sit front line players for the first two preseason games scrimmages.  There is really no reason to play them.  I imagine that most of them will play some in the third preseason game scrimmage and none of them in the fourth preseason game scrimmage.

It's a new concept and makes sense (at least to me) to keep them healthy and fresh when they play actual games.
Just depends if they are truly going full steam in practice. Soft tissue injuries can happen when you try to go full effort the 1st time. They were building up to 100%, but then stop and stay at 75%, then it could be trouble.

Hopefully the reps in practice, the extra heat, etc has them ready. We have seen a softer training camp and off season, so we won't know if they are truly ready until they get on the field.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They really need to go down to 2 preseason games and 2 scrimmages with rookies and backups only, free to the public.

Most teams are only going to play starters in 1 game now, so might as well just cut them now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(08-14-2019, 07:58 PM)p_rushing Wrote: They really need to go down to 2 preseason games and 2 scrimmages with rookies and backups only, free to the public.

Most teams are only going to play starters in 1 game now, so might as well just cut them now.

You just asked the NFL to take a significant revenue cut, good one.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 03:13 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

All it takes is for every single season ticket holder on every team to stop going to Preseason games.

Yes, they force you to pay for those preseason games... but how long before that ends with just crickets to play for?

The shield would look awful.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 04:25 PM by scottyg.)

(08-15-2019, 03:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: All it takes is for every single season ticket holder on every team to stop going to Preseason games.

Yes, they force you to pay for those preseason games... but how long before that ends with just crickets to play for?

The shield would look awful.

I'm eating my preseason season tix...  I had made that decision before the last game started.  Now if one of them was on a Friday or Saturday night, I would go.  The concession prices are what disgust me more than anything.  12 bucks for a beer?  Gross!

(08-14-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:16 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Thanks Bullseye, I get where Marrone is coming from, especially after the last 48/72hrs.

We seem to be focusing on just getting as many healthy guys to week 1 as we can. The play them/rest them argument will have hindsight in a few weeks!!! I get the logic but the first 7 games are tough. Theres healthy and football healthy.

Just seems a real change from that first Marrone training camp. 4 straight days of pads work in the heat.

It is a real change, but a couple of things in fairness to Marrone:

1.  Last year may have been an unprecedented degree of injuries in Marrone's career.  I don't think I've ever seen a Jaguars team that wound up missing four out of five starting OL by season's end...playing with the 4th LT-a guy who wasn't even on the team until mid season.

2.  There is a recent and not so recent precedent supporting such an approach.  Just last year, the Rams played few if any starters throughout last year's preseason, and it helped propel them to the Super Bowl.  Further back in the early 1990s, Bills' coach Marv Levy was notorious for not taking preseason seriously in terms of playing his starters.  That approach helped his team go to four straight Super Bowls.

Under normal circumstances I'd want the starters to have at least a series a week in the preseason.  But given how last year unfolded, and the injuries from which a lot of the players are returning, I don't blame Marrone for his approach.  In fact, you could argue his hand was forced to some degree.

I completely agree. Plus when you factor in Marrone may be gone if we have a bad season, I get him wanting to focus on just those 16 and giving himself the best shot at winning them.

Last years injuries were crazy. O Line is so important and when new guys are walking in on a Monday and playing on Sunday, you know somethings seriously wrong.

I think its worth a try even though I'd like a many games as possible, we would only get a Q tonight anyway. The rest/play them both have fors and against, theres not a right and wrong way. 

And say Foles went down tonight, everyone would be going crazy for playing him.

Who'd be a HC??!! Smile

(08-15-2019, 01:09 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 07:58 PM)p_rushing Wrote: They really need to go down to 2 preseason games and 2 scrimmages with rookies and backups only, free to the public.

You just asked the NFL to take a significant revenue cut, good one.
That includes adding 2 real games but start before the new CBA next year

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 09:42 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Cam Robinson tear his ACL saving McGough on the sidelines?

for a team with a former OL as a head coach you'd hope we wouldn't have the worst OL top to bottom in the league.
No pain, no gain.

(08-14-2019, 04:31 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 04:07 PM)NH3 Wrote: Sooooooo, we rest our starters in the first two pre-season games while our second and third stringers go up against our opponents first stringers. Within the last two pre-season games we play our starters that'll go against our opponent's second and beyond stringers.

Am I mistaken by saying that they'll (our starters) be more susceptible to injuries because of the fact that opponent's third stringers and beyond will be head hunting while trying to make the 53-Man roster?

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Just don't play them at all at this point.  I understand where you are coming from and thats why i prefer to just sit them into Week 1.  I think its dumb but it also makes sense if Foles is the best option we have and if he goes down, then its refund city for ST holders.  The only injury that matters is QB since he is the most questionable player on offense right now and the most important.  I do, however, want a refund if i'm charged to watch the backups and practice squad players for regular prices.
Honestly, I'm concerned about the chemistry of the starting OL. I know that our two tackles has injuries but the interior linemen needs to be decided upon and playing early in pre-season games to build said chemistry. At this rate our OL probably won't jell until week four in my opinion.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-16-2019, 10:23 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 04:31 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Just don't play them at all at this point.  I understand where you are coming from and thats why i prefer to just sit them into Week 1.  I think its dumb but it also makes sense if Foles is the best option we have and if he goes down, then its refund city for ST holders.  The only injury that matters is QB since he is the most questionable player on offense right now and the most important.  I do, however, want a refund if i'm charged to watch the backups and practice squad players for regular prices.
Honestly, I'm concerned about the chemistry of the starting OL. I know that our two tackles has injuries but the interior linemen needs to be decided upon and playing early in pre-season games to build said chemistry. At this rate our OL probably won't jell until week four in my opinion.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I agree.  At least let the non injured starters get a series or something.  Its ridiculous that we are banking on everyone to be ready in Week 1.  Players are getting up to speed on other teams, even if it isnt ALL 22 starters, while we hope we gel and get ready on the sideline and in practice.  If we look subpar or sluggish come week 1, i dont want to here nann excuse.  Thats the coaches decision, and depending on how the season goes, that could be part of his exit after years end.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(08-17-2019, 08:46 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:23 PM)NH3 Wrote: Honestly, I'm concerned about the chemistry of the starting OL. I know that our two tackles has injuries but the interior linemen needs to be decided upon and playing early in pre-season games to build said chemistry. At this rate our OL probably won't jell until week four in my opinion.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I agree.  At least let the non injured starters get a series or something.  Its ridiculous that we are banking on everyone to be ready in Week 1.  Players are getting up to speed on other teams, even if it isnt ALL 22 starters, while we hope we gel and get ready on the sideline and in practice.  If we look subpar or sluggish come week 1, i dont want to here nann excuse.  Thats the coaches decision, and depending on how the season goes, that could be part of his exit after years end.

This is my main worry. I'm guessing most of the starters aren't too annoyed about not playing preseason. We still have camp and teams really seem to put a lot into days with other teams now. 

The league is so reactionary now. Take going for it on 4th. You make it your a genius, dont and it was a bad call. I'm worried Marrone may be making a rod for his own back.

Say we have D mis-communication or Foles goes deep and the WR runs a curl. That is immediately going to get blamed on not enough gametime together.

I don’t have much concern about “gelling.”

I just want our tackles and LG healthy ASAP.
It’s going to take a few games for a revamped line under a new OC to click regardless of preseason time together.

Getting the best five guys healthy and ready to play is exponentially more important to me.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 01:54 PM by irontrooper83.)

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...5690125312

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...8662131718

(hopefully they try him at RG with the starters next week, my wish at least)

(08-17-2019, 01:47 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...5690125312

Excellent news. 

Slowly inching toward a healthy offense.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...83392?s=21

https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...84288?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

That's huge for Lee. Doubt he gets any time these next two games, but he may be good to go for at least some situational stuff week 1.

I just can't wait to see our starters play. It's hard to evaluate our team when it's 2nd/3rd string guys out there against other team's starters

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 07:47 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...60064?s=21
https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...92386?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 03:24 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Isn't this the approach we took in 2017? We basically worked the starters into the ground then got them back up by the start of the season? Virtually seeing no starters and losing preseason games and people just thinking "same ole jags" and then we stole the show in the regular season.
No pain, no gain.