Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-18-2020, 11:35 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's okay. You will defend him regardless of what anyone says, thankfully it's very easy to see his initial response to the crisis.

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coron...2645515793

His initial response was to shut down travel from China. So you are correct that we should be thankful. BTW, a tweet is not a "response."

Besides Italy, Germany and France both have more cases than the US, and many other EU countries are way ahead of the US in per capita cases. If you want to claim it's due to more testing, UK, France and The Netherlands also have more deaths than the US, which is not related to testing. I can't prove it's because the EU lagged over a month behind Trump in shutting down incoming travel, but the correlation is strong.

(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I want to laugh at that calendar, but it's really [BLEEP] deplorable. 

It's being reported today that the US turned away hundreds of thousands of test kits being offered by a German company in late February saying we'd create our own.  It's March 18th and several states are still saying they don't have enough testing ability. 

State governors were also told by Trump this morning in a conference call that they were on their own in acquiring ventilators and respirators - and that the federal government is not intervening.  Of course, the white house could enact a measure which would keep American manufacturers of these devices working 24/7 to provide for the anticipated need.

Check your facts. Both are lies. You shouldn't believe the lies of the mainstream (anti_Trump) media.

The latter claim has been reported by dozens of sources all along the spectrum of bias. 
https://khn.org/morning-breakout/trump-t...hemselves/

Anyway, Im hopeful he'll eventually come around on making such equipment more available from a federal level, much in the way he has wisely taken good advice and markedly shifted his stance on the country's overall preparedness since he repeatedly downplayed it throughout February. 

Regarding the report of turning away testing kits, I'll attempt to fact check as it is reported and/or confirmed by more sources.

(03-18-2020, 11:45 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Interrupting the Blame Game to provide actual useful information:

Looks like Type A is more susceptible to the virus than the more common Type O blood.

In China:
Type O = 34% of people but 25% of corona-virus patients
Type A = 32% of people but 41% of corona-virus patients.

Might want to take extra precautions if you are Type A.

Good info. Thank you. Where did you find that?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM by MalabarJag.)

(03-18-2020, 11:45 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Interrupting the Blame Game to provide actual useful information:

Looks like Type A is more susceptible to the virus than the more common Type O blood.

In China:
Type O = 34% of people but 25% of corona-virus patients
Type A = 32% of people but 41% of corona-virus patients.

Might want to take extra precautions if you are Type A.

That's 66% of people and 66% of patients, leaving 34% for type B + the rare type AB + unknowns in both % of people and % of patients, which is exactly normal. I doubt the difference between O and A is anything but random variance.

(03-18-2020, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:35 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
His initial response was to shut down travel from China. So you are correct that we should be thankful. BTW, a tweet is not a "response."

Besides Italy, Germany and France both have more cases than the US, and many other EU countries are way ahead of the US in per capita cases. If you want to claim it's due to more testing, UK, France and The Netherlands also have more deaths than the US, which is not related to testing. I can't prove it's because the EU lagged over a month behind Trump in shutting down incoming travel, but the correlation is strong.

Check your facts. Both are lies. You shouldn't believe the lies of the mainstream (anti_Trump) media.

The latter claim has been reported by dozens of sources all along the spectrum of bias. 

The very headline you posted said "Feds Will Back Them Up." Basically Trump is saying use local sources first. Given the CDC screw-ups so far, that's sound advice.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 12:36 PM by Gabe.)

I've done my fair share of finger pointing. Trump and his news outlet are just as much to blame for the situation we're all in now as a result of downplaying the threat of the virus itself as the overreaction from the general public. Only time will tell as to how much damage it'll do to his reelection hopes.

But shifting gears - testing has ramped up, finally. I took my wife to get tested this morning. Expects to hear back within 3-5 days. Her symptoms were shortness of breath, coughing and chills, combined with a couple layers removed exposure to people who have already tested positive. Got approval via teledoc and Ascension.

I can't begin to tell you how terrified she is considering she's a recovering asthmatic. It's shaken me as well. I know I can shrug off flu-like symptoms and be alright in a couple of days, but she definitely can't.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-18-2020, 12:27 PM)Gabe Wrote: I've done my fair share of finger pointing. Trump and his news outlet are just as much to blame for downplaying the virus itself as the overreaction from the general public. Only time will tell as to how much damage it'll do to his reelection hopes.

But shifting gears - testing has ramped up, finally. I took my wife to get tested this morning. Expects to hear back within 3-5 days. Her symptoms were shortness of breath, coughing and chills, combined with a couple layers removed exposure to people who have already tested positive. Got approval via teledoc and Ascension.

I can't begin to tell you how terrified she is considering she's a recovering asthmatic. It's shaken me as well. I know I can shrug off flu-like symptoms and be alright in a couple of days, but she definitely can't.

Best of luck!

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-18-2020, 12:27 PM)Gabe Wrote: I've done my fair share of finger pointing. Trump and his news outlet are just as much to blame for downplaying the virus itself as the overreaction from the general public. Only time will tell as to how much damage it'll do to his reelection hopes.

Good luck man.

(03-18-2020, 11:53 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:45 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
[quote='NYC4jags' pid='1289207' dateline='1584546601']

The very headline you posted said "Feds Will Back Them Up." Basically Trump is saying use local sources first. Given the CDC screw-ups so far, that's sound advice.

Im seriously not here to argue Trump's politics, though I was stupidly sucked into it for a while there. Apologies. 
But please tell me you read the other words in that headline, LOL. 

BTW the link was to illustrate that multiple articles from multiple (politically varied) sources were all reporting that he is advising states to source these devices themselves and is not YET providing a federal response to those needs. 
Because he hasn't done that yet, and I consider this potentially problematic. 

I think he will eventually, and I merely hope that when he finally does, we don't have hospitals making decisions about which patient gets a ventilator and which one likely dies without one. Because that is not "survival of the fittest" as some have been foolishly championing around here. It's survival of the most insured.

Hoping for the best for you both.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-18-2020, 12:27 PM)Gabe Wrote: I've done my fair share of finger pointing. Trump and his news outlet are just as much to blame for the situation we're all in now as a result of downplaying the threat of the virus itself as the overreaction from the general public. Only time will tell as to how much damage it'll do to his reelection hopes.

Good gosh.  I am so sorry to hear that.  I suppose if there is a silver lining, she got it before the hospitals were overwhelmed with patients, so she'll get good care.  Otherwise, I'll say a prayer for her.

I've certainly been guilty of thinking of all this in terms of its economic effect, but this brings home the real human cost.

(03-18-2020, 12:27 PM)Gabe Wrote: I've done my fair share of finger pointing. Trump and his news outlet are just as much to blame for the situation we're all in now as a result of downplaying the threat of the virus itself as the overreaction from the general public. Only time will tell as to how much damage it'll do to his reelection hopes.

G'luck to you both, dude. Sorry to hear that.

As for the politics of this, we need to lay off a bit. All of us. Trump did not handle this perfectly, even if the only mistakes he made were providing false hope. His mouth has always been his biggest problem. To the naysayers, it's ok for a person to do a 180 when presented with more facts. At this point, we need to wait until the end to judge how well Trump did with this. If the US ends up with less deaths than the EU per capita, I think we can say someone made some good decisions.

As for the virus itself, I am starting to believe either the numbers are severely under-reported or there are two strains of the virus. If the number of people being infected is severely under-reported, that is a very good thing. We could end up burning through this thing in a couple weeks. Something just doesn't pass the sniff test with regards to how quickly China recovered from this. There should reinfections starting to pop back up if the cases aren't far more widespread than previously believed. I really wish the US had proper testing to get some real numbers on this. We may never know until we do a random sample of antibodies in humans, but who knows when that will happen.

(03-18-2020, 01:01 PM)Last42min Wrote:

As for the politics of this, we need to lay off a bit. All of us. Trump did not handle this perfectly, even if the only mistakes he made were providing false hope. His mouth has always been his biggest problem. To the naysayers, it's ok for a person to do a 180 when presented with more facts. At this point, we need to wait until the end to judge how well Trump did with this. If the US ends up with less deaths than the EU per capita, I think we can say someone made some good decisions.

As for the virus itself, I am starting to believe either the numbers are severely under-reported or there are two strains of the virus. If the number of people being infected is severely under-reported, that is a very good thing. We could end up burning through this thing in a couple weeks. Something just doesn't pass the sniff test with regards to how quickly China recovered from this. There should reinfections starting to pop back up if the cases aren't far more widespread than previously believed. I really wish the US had proper testing to get some real numbers on this. We may never know until we do a random sample of antibodies in humans, but who knows when that will happen.

I have to imagine at this point infections are in the millions, not just 200,000 globally. Our world is too tight knit and close for this to not be on a scale of millions by now - it's just 50% or more aren't even showing any symptoms throughout the entirety of the sickness. That's dangerous.

(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coron...2645515793

I want to laugh at that calendar, but it's really [BLEEP] deplorable. 

It's being reported today that the US turned away hundreds of thousands of test kits being offered by a German company in late February saying we'd create our own.  It's March 18th and several states are still saying they don't have enough testing ability. 

State governors were also told by Trump this morning in a conference call that they were on their own in acquiring ventilators and respirators - and that the federal government is not intervening.  Of course, the white house could enact a measure which would keep American manufacturers of these devices working 24/7 to provide for the anticipated need.

Regarding the part in bold.

It is my understanding that the actual context of what he told them was to try sourcing the stuff themselves first because it is often quicker and easier.  He did say that the federal government would provide the equipment and help but essentially it is often more efficient for states to deal directly with suppliers.  At least that is what I took from it.

Also, he did announce today that he invoked the Defense Production Act which does exactly what you said in the latter part of your quote.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 02:15 PM by Byron LeftTown.)

A Jax ER nurse on Reddit (www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville) said they are already being overwhelmed with patients.

Gabe, hopefully your wife is okay.
My wife and I have about 7 high-risk indicators between us.

I just ordered an herbal respiratory treatment in case the hospitals are jammed.
Apparently the native american herb Lomatium was effective against the 1918 flu and SARS virus.
Respir-Ease and LDM-100 are two products which contain Lomatium.
I have never used a product of this type, but will have some as a first treatment / last resort, depending on symptoms and the state of the hospitals.
Sometimes being proactive and having some options can ease the stress of uncertainty.

Sciencey stuff:
https://restorativemedicine.org/journal/...infection/

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 02:29 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-18-2020, 02:14 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: A Jax ER nurse on Reddit   (www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville)  said they are already being overwhelmed with patients.  

Gabe, hopefully your wife is okay.
My wife and I have about 7 high-risk indicators between us.  

I just ordered an herbal respiratory treatment in case the hospitals are jammed.  
Apparently the native american herb Lomatium was effective against the 1918 flu and SARS virus.
Respir-Ease and LDM-100 are 2 product which contain Lomatium.
I have never used a product of this type, but will have some as a first treatment / last resort, depending on symptoms and the state of the hospitals.
Sometimes being proactive and having some options can ease the stress of uncertainty.  

Sciencey stuff:
https://restorativemedicine.org/journal/...infection/

Probably the same people that were hoarding toilet paper unnecessarily.

Good luck to you both and all we can do is offer advice and hope so... just really try to keep her from being too scared. Confidence is key to the immune system recovering in times like this and stress is something you absolutely don't need in your life and it's all we are constantly surrounded by.

(03-18-2020, 11:04 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 05:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It has gone beyond stupid.  Government at all levels are taking draconian measures that communist countries normally take.  Let US decide if we want to go to a restaurant or bar.  Let US decide if we want to purchase alcohol, beer or wine (among other things).  We don't need a "nanny government" at any level dictating what we can or can not do.

I can understand the intent which is to limit crowds of people, but to hurt small businesses even more is just crazy.  I say let "natural selection" take it's course.

That's wonderful, good for you, enjoy your drink, thanks for killing your grandmother when you bump into her at the supermarket and breath on the bag of oranges she's picking up.

The point of the restrictions isn't to keep healthy individuals like you and me safe. It's to keep us from passing the virus that we're probably already carrying along to people who wouldn't be able to carry it without symptoms. Do I like being cooped up in my home? No. Is it going to stop me from going out for a walk? No. Do I believe that being cooped up is serving any purpose? You know, I have to trust the judgment of those who know far more than I ever will (including direct advisers to the president and his lordship himself) who say that staying as isolated as possible is a necessary precaution right now. If you can't handle skipping restaurants for a couple weeks, [BLEEP] download Uber Eats. If you can't go a couple of weeks without stocking up on booze, see a counselor when this is all over. If you can't handle stepping to the side as a precaution and/or courtesy to others who are susceptible to the virus, stay inside your own home. 

If spending a few seconds of my life waiting a couple of steps off the sidewalk for an elderly person to pass could potentially save their life, [BLEEP] yes I'll step off the sidewalk. [BLEEP] "natural selection". At some point, we're all human beings, we're all along for the same ride, and that dick-first machismo being projected by the "me first" crowd is as sad as it is dangerous.

You are missing the point of what I was trying to say.

First, all four of my grandparents are dead so there is no way that I could "kill" them by bumping into them at the supermarket, but ... whatever.

The point of the restrictions is that young people on spring break have been packing bars and pretty much ignoring the recommendation to stay away from large gatherings.  The governor mandating that all night clubs and bars close is far too over-reaching.  Perhaps asking them to restrict numbers of patrons at a time is a better idea.  By closing down businesses for 30 days or more they are putting people out of work and hurting the owners (not to mention the supply chain these businesses use).

Regarding the purchase of alcohol, beer or wine I was referring to the mandate that the city of St. Augustine put out that restaurants that normally serve drinks would be prohibited from doing so.  That has nothing to do with the virus and everything to do with "nanny government" controlling us.

The bottom line is closing bars and night clubs is pretty much a violation of our 1st amendment right (freedom to peacefully assemble).  Telling restaurants that they can't serve a product that they normally serve is far too much government over-reach.

My "natural selection" comment was geared towards the idiots on spring break that still pack bars.  If they want to make themselves sick let them.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 02:37 PM by mikesez.)

(03-18-2020, 01:01 PM)Last42min Wrote:

Absolutely! 100%!
but if you have changed your opinion, and you already told a bunch of people your old, wrong, opinion, please start off by telling those people that you got it wrong. Show a little humility first. Not directed at you, but at our president, and also many "journalists."
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-18-2020, 02:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:04 AM)TJBender Wrote: That's wonderful, good for you, enjoy your drink, thanks for killing your grandmother when you bump into her at the supermarket and breath on the bag of oranges she's picking up.

The point of the restrictions isn't to keep healthy individuals like you and me safe. It's to keep us from passing the virus that we're probably already carrying along to people who wouldn't be able to carry it without symptoms. Do I like being cooped up in my home? No. Is it going to stop me from going out for a walk? No. Do I believe that being cooped up is serving any purpose? You know, I have to trust the judgment of those who know far more than I ever will (including direct advisers to the president and his lordship himself) who say that staying as isolated as possible is a necessary precaution right now. If you can't handle skipping restaurants for a couple weeks, [BLEEP] download Uber Eats. If you can't go a couple of weeks without stocking up on booze, see a counselor when this is all over. If you can't handle stepping to the side as a precaution and/or courtesy to others who are susceptible to the virus, stay inside your own home. 

If spending a few seconds of my life waiting a couple of steps off the sidewalk for an elderly person to pass could potentially save their life, [BLEEP] yes I'll step off the sidewalk. [BLEEP] "natural selection". At some point, we're all human beings, we're all along for the same ride, and that dick-first machismo being projected by the "me first" crowd is as sad as it is dangerous.

You are missing the point of what I was trying to say.

First, all four of my grandparents are dead so there is no way that I could "kill" them by bumping into them at the supermarket, but ... whatever.

The point of the restrictions is that young people on spring break have been packing bars and pretty much ignoring the recommendation to stay away from large gatherings.  The governor mandating that all night clubs and bars close is far too over-reaching.  Perhaps asking them to restrict numbers of patrons at a time is a better idea.  By closing down businesses for 30 days or more they are putting people out of work and hurting the owners (not to mention the supply chain these businesses use).

Regarding the purchase of alcohol, beer or wine I was referring to the mandate that the city of St. Augustine put out that restaurants that normally serve drinks would be prohibited from doing so.  That has nothing to do with the virus and everything to do with "nanny government" controlling us.

The bottom line is closing bars and night clubs is pretty much a violation of our 1st amendment right (freedom to peacefully assemble).  Telling restaurants that they can't serve a product that they normally serve is far too much government over-reach.

My "natural selection" comment was geared towards the idiots on spring break that still pack bars.  If they want to make themselves sick let them.

Yeeeea but that's the thing. They're gonna be fine and probably not feel a damn thing.

It's the people that have underlying health problems that these people will infect when they leave spring break feeling as invincible as they did before.

Deepest prayers brother

Good luck.  Try to keep her relaxed and hydrated as much as possible as in don't over exert herself.  I gather that you are both probably young and healthy so hopefully you both can get through it with no major issues.  The key thing is, and I know it's not easy but don't panic.

Again, best of luck.

(03-18-2020, 02:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The bottom line is closing bars and night clubs is pretty much a violation of our 1st amendment right (freedom to peacefully assemble).  Telling restaurants that they can't serve a product that they normally serve is far too much government over-reach.

The Constitution was suspended by Trump's National Emergency declaration.

(03-18-2020, 02:42 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:29 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The bottom line is closing bars and night clubs is pretty much a violation of our 1st amendment right (freedom to peacefully assemble).  Telling restaurants that they can't serve a product that they normally serve is far too much government over-reach.

So... time for civil war? 

Alright, fine. Let me finish the day and I'll grab the gear.

(03-18-2020, 02:42 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:

[Image: ImprobableOffbeatCub-size_restricted.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato