Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-26-2020, 08:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: April 26 numbers:

US total cases: 69,197
UD deaths: 1,046

FL cases: 1,977
FL deaths: 23

GA cases: 1387
deaths:  47

Just wanted to see how these numbers compared after 5 days:

US total cases:  165,874
US deaths:  3,178

FL cases: 6338
FL deaths:  77

GA cases: 3817
GA deaths:  108

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 01:09 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-31-2020, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 11:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Honestly if you looked at the worldwide death figures from Influenza every single year you're gonna be in for a rude surprise. It kills hundreds of thousands every single year because it is constantly mutating. We just don't think about it.

Death rate from seasonal flu is 0.1%

Death rate from COVID-19 is 2.3% and that number is rising every week as results pour in. 

We KNOW and understand the flu and how to combat it. COVID-19 is new and doctors and scientists are still largely in the dark about ways to combat it compared to the flu.

Untrue.

Millions upon millions have COVID-19. Therefore, death rate will NEVER be known, only speculated.

Probably .2%

(03-31-2020, 12:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:12 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The diagnosed case fatality rate of the seasonal flu is roughly 10%  

Apples to apples.

I gave you apples to apples.  They are both "diagnosed."

We dont do 45 million flu tests every year.

(03-31-2020, 01:08 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Death rate from seasonal flu is 0.1%

Death rate from COVID-19 is 2.3% and that number is rising every week as results pour in. 

We KNOW and understand the flu and how to combat it. COVID-19 is new and doctors and scientists are still largely in the dark about ways to combat it compared to the flu.

Untrue.

Millions upon millions have COVID-19. Therefore, death rate will NEVER be known, only speculated.

Probably .2%

Please try to think about the valid information I'm spoon-feeding you here

These numbers are strictly USA diagnoses and deaths. Not worldwide. 

Not every flu case is diagnosed and not every case of COVID-19 is diagnosed. That is common between the figures. 

HOWEVER - The number of people pronounced dead from the flu vs the # doctors have treated and diagnosed is a known quantity. It is .01%

That same number limited to the same country with COVID-19 is 2.3% and climbing. (globally it is 4.7%)

BOTH of these figures are equally limited to the number of known and diagnosed cases and confirmed number of deaths. 
There is no great dichotomy between them. They both have unknown cases in common. 

(03-31-2020, 01:13 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I gave you apples to apples.  They are both "diagnosed."

We dont do 45 million flu tests every year.

The common flu does not require a test as it is very well known, thoroughly studied,  and an easy to diagnose virus.

The last flu strain that existed outside of that parameter was the swine flu in 2009. It, like COVID-19 was declared a pandemic and addressed with aggressive research.

(03-31-2020, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 01:08 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Untrue.

Probably .2%

Not every flu case is diagnosed and not every case of COVID-19 is diagnosed. That is common between the figures. 

HOWEVER - The number of people pronounced dead from the flu vs the # doctors have treated and diagnosed is a known quantity. It is .01%

That same number limited to the same country with COVID-19 is 2.3% and climbing. (globally it is 4.7%)

BOTH of these figures are equally limited to the number of known and diagnosed cases and confirmed number of deaths. 
There is no great dichotomy between them. They both have unknown cases in common. 

(03-31-2020, 01:13 PM)jj82284 Wrote: We dont do 45 million flu tests every year.

The common flu does not require a test as it is very well known, thoroughly studied,  and an easy to diagnose virus.

The last flu strain that existed outside of that parameter was the swine flu in 2009. It, like COVID-19 was declared a pandemic and addressed with aggressive research.

Did we do 60 million swine flu tests to get that #?

(03-31-2020, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 01:08 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Untrue.

Probably .2%

(03-31-2020, 01:13 PM)jj82284 Wrote: We dont do 45 million flu tests every year.

Sigh.

We will never know the true death rate of this disease. If you tell me that 2% of people who get tested will die.. Fine.

But there's no way that's the fatality rate of this disease.

I think right now that much of the media is to blame for the panic and fear being felt by so many people.  There is far too much "sensationalism" in today's "reporting".  As an example, the number of cases and deaths are breathlessly being reported.  How many headlines or stories regarding the number of recoveries?  Some (not all) people seem to think that testing positive is an immediate "death sentence".  The average person with no underlying medical/respiratory issues can/will overcome it, in many cases without hospitalization or being placed on a ventilator.

Now I am by no means trying to minimize the seriousness of this disease, I'm just pointing out that it's not all "doom and gloom" should somebody get it.

The other thing that I am bothered about is all of the draconian measures being put in place by state/local governments.  A roadblock/checkpoint looking for people traveling from one state to another?  Arresting pastors/ministers for holding services?  Mandatory closing of businesses including small business?  The last time I looked the First Amendment applies to everyone.  In my opinion these mandatory declarations by so many mayors and governors are pretty much unconstitutional.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-31-2020, 02:39 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Please try to think about the valid information I'm spoon-feeding you here

Did we do 60 million swine flu tests to get that #?

Don't hurt your back heaving those goalposts around there, pal.

The seasonal/common flu was the comp.

(03-31-2020, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 02:39 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Did we do 60 million swine flu tests to get that #?

Don't hurt your back heaving those goalposts around there, pal.

The seasonal common flu kills about 500,000 in a good year. Millions on a bad year.

And your point is?

(03-31-2020, 03:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don't hurt your back heaving those goalposts around there, pal.

The seasonal common flu kills about 500,000 in a good year. Millions on a bad year.

And your point is?

I have already made my point. Try to keep up.  I'll recap for you nonetheless. 

This particular virus is exhibiting an exponentially higher death rate in the US than the seasonal flu and the science and medical community know very, very little about treating it by comparison to the seasonal flu. 

It is exponentially more dangerous than the flu right now from a mortality standpoint. 

Here are the US numbers for the last round of the seasonal flu:
CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1).

By contrast, the predictions being touted by the white house and Fauci are estimating 100,000 US deaths from Covid-19.  

(03-31-2020, 11:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 09:38 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Good grief. We were at 2400 deaths Sunday and two days later we have topped 3000. 600 deaths in two days.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

According to this website, we had 363 deaths on March 30, and 558 deaths on March 31, for a two day total of 921.

Using their numbers the deaths have been doubling every 3 days for the past 2 weeks. That is exponential growth. Although it seems to be slowing down in the last day or so. Someone smart can probably confirm that.

3/14  57 deaths
3/17  110 deaths
3/20  255 deaths
3/23  555 deaths
3/26  1295 deaths
3/29  2583 deaths

(03-31-2020, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The seasonal common flu kills about 500,000 in a good year. Millions on a bad year.

And your point is?

This particular virus is exhibiting an exponentially higher death rate in the US than the seasonal flu and the science and medical community know very, very little about treating it by comparison to the seasonal flu. 

It is exponentially more dangerous than the flu right now from a mortality standpoint. 

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1).

By contrast, the predictions being touted by the white house and Fauci are estimating 100,000 US deaths from Covid-19.  

SARS COV-2 is actually a lot easier to fight long-term as many medical professionals have said.. it doesn't mutate, it mutates slower than even other coronaviruses do. The flu is a constantly changing, mutating monster and therefore always kills hundreds of thousands every single year - and why we are fine with that happening.

This will be the last large outbreak of this disease.... just like the first case of SARS.

(03-31-2020, 03:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have already made my point. Try to keep up.  I'll recap for you nonetheless. 

SARS COV-2 is actually a lot easier to fight long-term as many medical professionals have said.. it doesn't mutate, it mutates slower than even other coronaviruses do. The flu is a constantly changing, mutating monster and therefore always kills hundreds of thousands every single year - and why we are fine with that happening.

This will be the last large outbreak of this disease.... just like the first case of SARS.

Nice try. 
Doctors know influenza well and are rarely caught off guard by it's mutations, and it's mutations are usually not much more difficult to treat. 

Just like the first case of SARS???  Are you serious? 
That case infected around 8000 people globally and killed 10% of them before containment. 

COVID-19 has infected 174,417 and killed 3,400 in the US alone and is VERY far from containment.  
Horrible, horrible comparison. Just like influenza.

When this initially broke out I was in the just like influenza camp. 

But the plain fact that we basically have a global shelter in place order, plus it's on the verge of collapsing our economy should tell you this is a little bit different situation.

(03-31-2020, 03:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think right now that much of the media is to blame for the panic and fear being felt by so many people.  There is far too much "sensationalism" in today's "reporting".  As an example, the number of cases and deaths are breathlessly being reported.  How many headlines or stories regarding the number of recoveries?  Some (not all) people seem to think that testing positive is an immediate "death sentence".  The average person with no underlying medical/respiratory issues can/will overcome it, in many cases without hospitalization or being placed on a ventilator.

Now I am by no means trying to minimize the seriousness of this disease, I'm just pointing out that it's not all "doom and gloom" should somebody get it.

The other thing that I am bothered about is all of the draconian measures being put in place by state/local governments.  A roadblock/checkpoint looking for people traveling from one state to another?  Arresting pastors/ministers for holding services?  Mandatory closing of businesses including small business?  The last time I looked the First Amendment applies to everyone.  In my opinion these mandatory declarations by so many mayors and governors are pretty much unconstitutional.

Perhaps showing a bit of my naivete here, but aren't certain rights suspended when state and/or national emergencies are declared? Thought I read it somewhere, possibly within this thread.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-31-2020, 03:52 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think right now that much of the media is to blame for the panic and fear being felt by so many people.  There is far too much "sensationalism" in today's "reporting".  As an example, the number of cases and deaths are breathlessly being reported.  How many headlines or stories regarding the number of recoveries?  Some (not all) people seem to think that testing positive is an immediate "death sentence".  The average person with no underlying medical/respiratory issues can/will overcome it, in many cases without hospitalization or being placed on a ventilator.

Perhaps showing a bit of my naivete here, but aren't certain rights suspended when state and/or national emergencies are declared? Thought I read it somewhere, possibly within this thread.

Most are citing Jacobson vs State of Massachusetts as precedent for states determining gathering size and other such regulation. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evangerstma...4c36b2104e

The relevant quote from that case:

“The Constitution,” Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority, “does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”

(03-31-2020, 03:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: When this initially broke out I was in the just like influenza camp. 

But the plain fact that we basically have a global shelter in place order, plus it's on the verge of collapsing our economy should tell you this is a little bit different situation.

Yep, we let the media and governments drive a full blown panic. The economic damage of that nonsense will be far, far worse than the clinical damage of the virus.

(03-31-2020, 04:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:52 PM)Gabe Wrote: Perhaps showing a bit of my naivete here, but aren't certain rights suspended when state and/or national emergencies are declared? Thought I read it somewhere, possibly within this thread.

Most are citing Jacobson vs State of Massachusetts as precedent for states determining gathering size and other such regulation. 

“The Constitution,” Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority, “does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”

[Image: us-constitution-none-of-this-matters-if-...C307&ssl=1]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-31-2020, 04:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: When this initially broke out I was in the just like influenza camp. 

Yep, we let the media and governments drive a full blown panic. The economic damage of that nonsense will be far, far worse than the clinical damage of the virus.

(03-31-2020, 04:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most are citing Jacobson vs State of Massachusetts as precedent for states determining gathering size and other such regulation. 

[Image: us-constitution-none-of-this-matters-if-...C307&ssl=1]

It's a hard line to walk but I tend to agree. I fear being broke and homeless at the end of this more than I fear dying from Covid. 

OTOH, my parents and some other loved ones are perfect candidates to have serious complications, so I understand the flip side as well.

(03-31-2020, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The seasonal common flu kills about 500,000 in a good year. Millions on a bad year.

And your point is?

When we get close to the 16 million people needing to go to the doctor, then we can call it worse than the common flu. We still aren't close to the hospitalizations either.

Unless NYC area turns into a 3rd world country, I don't see the US reaching the numbers Fauci is saying. The models have all been higher than what is actually happening.

+1