Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

(09-26-2020, 11:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:51 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I would be soooo thoroughly disgusted if they are back next season. But I could see Khan valuing his personal relationships over what's best for the team.  He just seems like too nice a guy and doesn't have the stones to cut them loose.

I think you better get yourself prepared.

Can't do it brother.  I would be willing to throw in the towel on this organization at that point and use my time differently.  Just wouldn't do it anymore with this regime if they are back.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-26-2020, 11:17 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 11:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think you better get yourself prepared.

Can't do it brother.  I would be willing to throw in the towel on this organization at that point and use my time differently.  Just wouldn't do it anymore with this regime if they are back.

Despite the terrible performance of the team Thursday, I am sticking with a 7-9 or 8-8 bar for DC and DM to stay.

Are you coming off that based on Thursday? There is a lot of season left.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 10:31 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-27-2020, 10:20 AM)rufftime Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 11:17 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Can't do it brother.  I would be willing to throw in the towel on this organization at that point and use my time differently.  Just wouldn't do it anymore with this regime if they are back.

Despite the terrible performance of the team Thursday, I am sticking with a 7-9 or 8-8 bar for DC and DM to stay.

Are you coming off that based on Thursday?  There is a lot of season left.

No, I'm with you there.  If we get 7 or 8 wins, I would say stay the course for one more season.  I just can't see that happening.  I predicted 6-10 the week before the season, but that seems optimistic now.  We look like a 4-12 team at best.  But enough is enough... if we are not better than last year's 6-10 record, we need to clean the stench of that entire era out of the building.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-27-2020, 10:30 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:20 AM)rufftime Wrote: Despite the terrible performance of the team Thursday, I am sticking with a 7-9 or 8-8 bar for DC and DM to stay.

Are you coming off that based on Thursday?  There is a lot of season left.

No, I'm with you there.  If we get 7 or 8 wins, I would say stay the course for one more season.  I just can't see that happening.  I predicted 6-10 the week before the season, but that seems optimistic now.  We look like a 4-12 team at best.  But enough is enough... if we are not better than last year's 6-10 record, we need to clean the stench of that entire era out of the building.

I agree and maybe I am just less shocked by this bad performance. I expected much worse results week 1 and 2, and better results week 3. It is still disappointing, but the majority of the season is in front of this young team. They could absolutely fold and secure the number 1 pick. They could also take this gut punch, wake the [BLEEP] up, and improve.

Time will tell and I will do my best to stay consistent until they hit 10 losses.

Who we select in the draft doesn't seems to be the issue. How we manage, develop and motivate the players after we draft them seems to be the issue. Just my opinion, so there it is.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

In the NFL you beat teams you shouldnt and lose to teams you shouldn't. That's how it is.

(09-27-2020, 02:46 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Who we select in the draft doesn't seems to be the issue. How we manage, develop and motivate the players after we draft them seems to be the issue. Just my opinion, so there it is.

Agreed, our defensive coaching makes players worse. But dont tell that BeachBum guy that, he's a coach so he takes it personal-like.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 05:46 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-27-2020, 03:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: In the NFL you beat teams you shouldnt and lose to teams you shouldn't. That's how it is.

(09-27-2020, 02:46 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Who we select in the draft doesn't seems to be the issue. How we manage, develop and motivate the players after we draft them seems to be the issue. Just my opinion, so there it is.

Agreed, our defensive coaching makes players worse. But dont tell that BeachBum guy that, he's a coach so he takes it personal-like.

LOL... I see your attention to the detail of my posts is equally matched only by your tactical knowledge of football.  

1.  I am an ex-coach... haven't done it for over a decade.  I am no expert, but I do have a solid grasp of tactical basics.  Clearly you struggle with that.  I'm happy to help you out.
2.  I am all for getting rid of Wash.  Not because of scheme (its average, but not as bad as emotional and/or poorly educated fans believe), but because they struggle with execution.  Coaching is teaching... and they do not appear to do a great job with that.
3.  I don't take anything from anonymous message board posters personal.  I get it... we are all fans and get fired up.  I am just stating simple facts to help sprinkle a little education and logic on an emotionally charged board.  
4.  You need talent to win games.  Scheme can help maximize it.   But when you don't have much, that is the GM's fault.

Let me know if you have any further things that need clarification.  Enjoy the day sports God!

David Caldwell's record is abysmal, of course i'm still doubting him.

So everyone Dave drafts is good and if they turn out to be good then it's all credit to Dave but if they bust then it's bad coaching/development/motivation?

(09-27-2020, 05:05 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 03:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: In the NFL you beat teams you shouldnt and lose to teams you shouldn't. That's how it is.

LOL... I see your attention to the detail of my posts is equally matched only by your tactical knowledge of football.  

1.  I am an ex-coach... haven't done it for over a decade.  I am no expert, but I do have a solid grasp of tactical basics.  Clearly you struggle with that.  I'm happy to help you out.
2.  I am all for getting rid of Wash.  Not because of scheme (its average, but not as bad as emotional and/or poorly educated fans believe), but because they struggle with execution.  Coaching is teaching... and they do not appear to do a great job with that.
3.  I don't take anything from anonymous message board posters personal.  I get it... we are all fans and get fired up.  I am just stating simple facts to help sprinkle a little education and logic on an emotionally charged board.  
4.  You need talent to win games.  Scheme can help maximize it.   But when you don't have much, that is the GM's fault.

Let me know if you have any further things that need clarification.  Enjoy the day sports God!

Lol, can you point to a post of mine where I've discussed any "tactical basics?" It's clear from your posts that you have a high regard for your resume and experience, I have a high regard for what I see on the screen. What I see is a coaching failure that you seem determined to defend while also not defending it.

1. You forgot to mention that you scored 4 touchdowns in one game against Andrew Johnson High
2. Walsh has been the same guy for 8 seasons, he runs a scheme that requires an abundance of talent to be successful because he can't teach anything else. With average to good talent the scheme causes them to play worse than they actually are and even the really good players grew tired of constantly being pencil whipped.
3. You're stating your opinion, your hubris just makes you think you're right.
4. A bad or ineffective scheme can also make players worse. As a coach you should understand how important it is to put your players in position to succeed, unlike what the Washboard does to our players. Or maybe you don't and that's why you're an ex-coach.

It's a little "g", kinda like Thor in the MCU. You enjoy your day too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-27-2020, 05:05 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:

As far as how you how you feel about Todd Wash's scheme, what do you think about the 2nd half 2017 AFC championship, was that on the scheme failing and him not making adjustments?

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 08:39 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-27-2020, 07:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 05:05 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: LOL... I see your attention to the detail of my posts is equally matched only by your tactical knowledge of football.  

Lol, can you point to a post of mine where I've discussed any "tactical basics?" It's clear from your posts that you have a high regard for your resume and experience, I have a high regard for what I see on the screen. What I see is a coaching failure that you seem determined to defend while also not defending it.

1. You forgot to mention that you scored 4 touchdowns in one game against Andrew Johnson High
2. Walsh has been the same guy for 8 seasons, he runs a scheme that requires an abundance of talent to be successful because he can't teach anything else. With average to good talent the scheme causes them to play worse than they actually are and even the really good players grew tired of constantly being pencil whipped.
4. A bad or ineffective scheme can also make players worse. As a coach you should understand how important it is to put your players in position to succeed, unlike what the Washboard does to our players. Or maybe you don't and that's why you're an ex-coach.

1.  True story.
2.  Every scheme requires talent to be successful.  The 2nd part is your uneducated opinion.
3.  For the most part, we are all just stating opinions.  But on Red Cover 2 (which even a novice can tell the play in question clearly was) the basic fundamentals are facts, not opinions. Anyone who has played or coached knows this (its clear you don't, hence the evidence of your lack of tactical understanding).
4.  Its your opinion (and hubris) that assumes it is the scheme that limits our performance.  And I'm an ex-coach now because it was too much of a grind for me... I missed my free time to enjoy things beyond football. Plus I make more money and have more time for my kids doing what I do now.   Cool 

Peace brother.

(09-27-2020, 07:49 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 05:05 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: LOL... I see your attention to the detail of my posts is equally matched only by your tactical knowledge of football.  

As far as how you how you feel about Todd Wash's scheme, what do you think about the 2nd half 2017 AFC championship, was that on the scheme failing and him not making adjustments?

Its not fresh in my mind, so I'd have to look at it again to form an educated opinion.  But the fact that we were in the AFC Championship game and had the #2 rated D in the League suggests scheme was not a problem for some reason that year.

(09-27-2020, 08:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, can you point to a post of mine where I've discussed any "tactical basics?" It's clear from your posts that you have a high regard for your resume and experience, I have a high regard for what I see on the screen. What I see is a coaching failure that you seem determined to defend while also not defending it.

1.  True story.
2.  Every scheme requires talent to be successful.  The 2nd part is your uneducated opinion.
3.  For the most part, we are all just stating opinions.  But on Red Cover 2 (which even a novice can tell the play in question clearly was) the basic fundamentals are facts, not opinions. Anyone who has played or coached knows this (its clear you don't, hence the evidence of your lack of tactical understanding).
4.  Its your opinion (and hubris) that assumes it is the scheme that limits our performance.  And I'm an ex-coach now because it was too much of a grind for me... I missed my free time to enjoy things beyond football.  Plus I make more money and have more time for my kids doing what I do now.   Cool 

Peace brother.

(09-27-2020, 07:49 PM)D-Money Wrote: As far as how you how you feel about Todd Wash's scheme, what do you think about the 2nd half 2017 AFC championship, was that on the scheme failing and him not making adjustments?

Its not fresh in my mind, so I'd have to look at it again to form an educated opinion.  But the fact that we were in the AFC Championship game and had the #2 rated D in the League suggests scheme was not a problem for some reason that year.

Lol... The scheme was still a problem in 2017, it was just masked by the insane amount of talent that was on that Defense...

(09-27-2020, 08:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: 1.  True story.
4.  Its your opinion (and hubris) that assumes it is the scheme that limits our performance.  And I'm an ex-coach now because it was too much of a grind for me... I missed my free time to enjoy things beyond football.  Plus I make more money and have more time for my kids doing what I do now.   Cool 

Peace brother.

Lol... The scheme was still a problem in 2017, it was just masked by the insane amount of talent that was on that Defense...

Not taking Ramsey's defense on anything but there was a reason why multiple players were PISSED that they weren't playing the right scheme. Clearly the otherworldly talent that year overcame the coaching gaffe.

(09-27-2020, 08:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: 1.  True story.

Peace brother.

LOL.  OK.

(09-27-2020, 08:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Lol... The scheme was still a problem in 2017, it was just masked by the insane amount of talent that was on that Defense...

LOL.  OK.

You really gonna sit here with a straight face and say that, that Defense wasn't loaded with a ridiculous amount of talent?

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 09:08 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-27-2020, 08:58 PM)enigma Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Lol... The scheme was still a problem in 2017, it was just masked by the insane amount of talent that was on that Defense...

Not taking Ramsey's defense on anything but there was a reason why multiple players were PISSED that they weren't playing the right scheme. Clearly the otherworldly talent that year overcame the coaching gaffe.

I remember Jalen throwing Gus under the bus after he left talking about the defensive scheme, but I didn't hear anyone complaining in '17 and '18 when they were rolling with it.  I don't recall anyone else saying it other that immature kid.  I am fine with switching it up and moving on from Wash, but its not the reason why we are bad right now.  Its because we have do not have enough talent. (i.e. Caldwell)

You guys crack me up...lol
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(09-27-2020, 09:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: LOL.  OK.

You really gonna sit here with a straight face and say that, that Defense wasn't loaded with a ridiculous amount of talent?

No... you're right.  It clearly was.  But I am laughing that you think the scheme was somehow holding back the #2 defense in the League.  Hard to argue with the talent or the scheme when you are producing like that.  But when the talent (acquired predominantly from expensive and unsustainable free agency) disappears, you are now only blaming the scheme?  C'mon man.

(09-27-2020, 09:08 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 08:58 PM)enigma Wrote: Not taking Ramsey's defense on anything but there was a reason why multiple players were PISSED that they weren't playing the right scheme. Clearly the otherworldly talent that year overcame the coaching gaffe.

I remember Jalen throwing Gus under the bus after he left talking about the defensive scheme, but I didn't hear anyone complaining in '17 and '18 when they were rolling with it.  I don't recall anyone else saying it other that immature kid.  I am fine with switching it up and moving on from Wash, but its not the reason why we are bad right now.  Its because we have do not have enough talent. (i.e. Caldwell)

So it wasn't because of the talent on Defense that made it good those seasons, but now all of a sudden the Defense isn't good because of the talent?.... The [BLEEP] are you talking about