Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(01-09-2021, 04:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...05548?s=19

That's good news. Now we just gotta bring in Daboll.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Another guy with some serious baggage...

https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals/statu...8968803329

I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Are the big objections on here due to the off field concerns? Is there anything (bar him never coaching in the nfl) that is a concern from a coaching standpoint?

(01-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Ordar Wrote: I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Are the big objections on here due to the off field concerns? Is there anything (bar him never coaching in the nfl) that is a concern from a coaching standpoint?

Yeah I don’t get the hate. He’s been very successful everywhere he’s went. He’s a good X and O guy who won’t be outcoached in game time situations like we’re used to seeing. And if he turns us into a winner and leaves in 5 years who cares. We’re winners, and likely someone on his staff that he’s groomed into taking the HC role will likely continue the process. 

If he’s a failed experiment then we can talk about how terrible the decision was etc. etc. 

Give him a chance, he literally CANNOT be worse than what we’ve had for the last decade

You would think Urban Meyer was Gus Bradley if you only read this thread, good Lord.

(01-09-2021, 08:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You would think Urban Meyer was Gus Bradley if you only read this thread, good Lord.

There's a couple of people in here who would probably be considered for The Baker Act if Meyer becomes The Jags HC..

Sporks only and velcro shoes..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2021, 08:18 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(01-09-2021, 08:16 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 08:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You would think Urban Meyer was Gus Bradley if you only read this thread, good Lord.

There's a couple of people in here who would probably be considered for The Baker Act if Meyer becomes The Jags HC..

Sporks only and velcro shoes..

Those same people would then complain about a coordinator or GM. Meyer will be fun and bring us some national street cred.

We're moving on from Doug Marrone. Doug. Marrone. And people are dissing Urban Meyer? Having the number one pick, and the right to draft Trevor Lawrence, has clouded the mind of quite a few people on here. Don Shula and Bill Belichik are not available for Khan to hire. There are nothing but unproven coordinators and college coaches out there.

Yeah Meyer is a hire with high upside

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2021, 11:05 PM by Brett.)

I guess the biggest concern and question I still have is regarding his health. Is it just supposedly all cleared up now and he has no issues? I find that hard to believe. I know he won't have to recruit but the stress is still obviously going to be there.

I'm just confused why this isn't brought up more (not meaning by you all)

You can't make everyone happy. No matter who the Jaguars hire, some people will complain about it. Meyer has a winning background. Thats a true positive right off the bat.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-09-2021, 08:03 PM)CSTblank Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Ordar Wrote: I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Yeah I don’t get the hate. He’s been very successful everywhere he’s went. He’s a good X and O guy who won’t be outcoached in game time situations like we’re used to seeing. And if he turns us into a winner and leaves in 5 years who cares. We’re winners, and likely someone on his staff that he’s groomed into taking the HC role will likely continue the process. 

If he’s a failed experiment then we can talk about how terrible the decision was etc. etc. 

Give him a chance, he literally CANNOT be worse than what we’ve had for the last decade

when has he ever been good at x and o's he is a ceo coach he is a organizer motivator he hires the x and o guys. he lies, he quits when it does not go his way, and he looks the other way when confronted with troubled players, i would say #anyoenbutmeyer

(01-09-2021, 08:03 PM)CSTblank Wrote:

Exactly... by the time he's left the team he's already got a Dan Mullen under his wings ready to take over and keep it going. I don't care what anyone says, I followed him the minute I learned the Gators hired him because of his success in Utah and especially with Alex Smith... and this dude has been a winner literally everywhere he's coached. Obviously college success doesn't automatically mean NFL success, but if there is someone to do it where others have failed, it's going to be Urban. I just hope we get him and don't lose him to the Chargers.

The biggest concern is that he suddenly quits ala Nick Saban given his history of health concerns.  Plus he's a college coach, which isn't guaranteed success in the NFL.  Feels like a very flashy hire, rather than the BEST hire.

(01-09-2021, 05:36 PM)Upper Wrote: Another guy with some serious baggage...

Yeah. He's gonna make lots of friends on the team after they find out he texted a racial slur to a recruit. NFL players tend to frown on that sort of behavior.

(01-10-2021, 01:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 05:36 PM)Upper Wrote: Another guy with some serious baggage...

Yeah. He's gonna make lots of friends on the team after they find out he texted a racial slur to a recruit. NFL players tend to frown on that sort of behavior.

Urban is a choir boy compared to what I have read about Bieniemy though.

(01-09-2021, 04:16 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 03:30 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Carroll issues were all recruiting violations. Meyer is tied to players who committed crimes and such after being on the team at Florida and basically covering up a domestic violence situation in his own coaching staff at Ohio St. He is not a guy I generally want to have to root for as HC of my favorite team.

With Meyer, you cannot plan on him being present longer than 5 years, and it is totally coin flip if the program survives after that with Utah and Ohio St doing well because he found good Assistant to be successors. That isn't really a "plan in the NFL". Good Assistant Coaches generally don't stick around for the possibility of being successor.

I also just don't understand why he wants to take on all this stress--mental, physical, & psychological--after his medical issues at both Ohio St and Fla.

A total coin flip if the program survives?!?

Dude.. This franchise has been sub-mediocre since it's inauguration (with very few seasons here and there of success)..

If this franchise has survived that long with being next to complete garbage, it can survive Meyer, IF Meyer is even selected..

Again college success does equate NFL success. I'll gladly eat crow if he manages to make the Jags relevant. I just don't see it.

Yes, he is Eric Bienemy with experience and success. 

I don't like the red flags but I can't deny he's won trophies.

(01-09-2021, 02:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 01:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of Meyer, but as for this, Pete Carroll had some murmurs about some shady dealings at USC, and he turned out to be a great NFL coach.  Of course, he had NFL experience before going to Seattle.

I am wondering how much he confides in draws information from Belichick.

I am hoping like hell for Scott Pioli.

Did Pete Carroll have dudes committing murder on his team?
Because Urban Meyer did, at Florida.

If you're referring to Aaron Hernandez, he committed murder while he was on the New England Patriots.  I guess that would disqualify Bill Belichick from being a coach, right?

It will be interesting to see when the HC hire is made and also, the gm hire along with who the coordinators are.