Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

I would like to see Daboll interviewed before we hire anyeone

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 12:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-08-2021, 01:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:06 PM)Dimson Wrote: Why not? We have interviewed other coaches in the play offs.

Bienemy has a bye week and is eligible for interviews. 

Daboll isn't allowed to interview until after their game

How are we able to interview Arthur Smith today then?

(01-10-2021, 12:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Bienemy has a bye week and is eligible for interviews. 

How are we able to interview Arthur Brown today then?

Arthur Brown?  This guy?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 12:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-10-2021, 12:40 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How are we able to interview Arthur Brown today then?

Arthur Brown?  This guy?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

No this guy

"Arthur Brown (American football) - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_B..._football)

Smith, my bad. To many on my mind lol

(01-10-2021, 12:10 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: His offense is 7th league-wide in yards per game and total yards on the season, and 2nd overall in passing yardage. 

Of course, there's the whole, Brady, Mike Evans, Godwin, Gronkowski side of the equation, LOL.

So.. that makes Leftwich the new Belichick..

Technically it would make Arians the new Belichick and Leftwich the new McDaniels.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 01:06 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-09-2021, 02:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 01:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of Meyer, but as for this, Pete Carroll had some murmurs about some shady dealings at USC, and he turned out to be a great NFL coach.  Of course, he had NFL experience before going to Seattle.

I am wondering how much he confides in draws information from Belichick.

I am hoping like hell for Scott Pioli.

Did Pete Carroll have dudes committing murder on his team?
Because Urban Meyer did, at Florida.

Bill Belicheck had a guy commit murder on the Patriots.

Does anyone hold that against him?

(01-09-2021, 05:02 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: My coaching wants, ranked at this time.

1a) Bieniemy
1b) Daboll
1c) Saleh
2) Smith
3) Garrett
4) Any other NFL assistant
5) Raheem Morris
6) Any stadium employee
7) Any one of us on this board
8) Anyone who has ever watched a football game
9) The dog from Air Bud
10) Urban Meyer

Bienemy has lots of off field baggage, but also has the complete endorsement of Andy Reid.

According to PFT. Eagles coach Doug Pederson is in jeopardy of losing his job.

I would hope Khan would consider him, even though he would need a new defensive coordinator.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 02:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did Pete Carroll have dudes committing murder on his team?

Yes.. guilty by association.. 

In all seriousness,

Of course not, right Mikesez?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

The only issue I have with Meyer is he wins but hasn't been a great developer of NFL QB's.

Alex Smith has been okay in the NFL but not a superstar.
Tim Tebow, Urban didn't fix his mechanics at Florida, and Tebow wasn't able to succeed in the NFL
All the Ohio State QB's have flamed out in the NFL.

This is the only concern I have with him.

(01-10-2021, 12:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Bienemy has a bye week and is eligible for interviews. 

How are we able to interview Arthur Smith today then?

After his game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 02:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did Pete Carroll have dudes committing murder on his team?

Nope, and it was the same guy in both situations lol

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 01:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-10-2021, 01:35 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How are we able to interview Arthur Smith today then?

After his game.

Couldn't we interview Daboll after yesterday's game then?

(01-10-2021, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:35 PM)Dimson Wrote: After his game.

Couldn't we interview Daboll after yesterday's game then?

Maybe they haven't set up an interview yet?

(01-10-2021, 01:53 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Couldn't we interview Daboll after yesterday's game then?

Maybe they haven't set up an interview yet?

Lol, that's my whole point.  He said we can't interview Daboll yet we have an interview set up with Smith today.  The only thing I can think of is they would rather interview Daboll in person than on Skype

(01-10-2021, 01:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:53 PM)Dimson Wrote: Maybe they haven't set up an interview yet?

Lol, that's my whole point.  He said we can't interview Daboll yet we have an interview set up with Smith today.  The only thing I can think of is they would rather interview Daboll in person than on Skype

We'll see. I am just hoping anyone but Meyer. To me he is too much boom or bust. It could be really good or really bad.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 02:43 PM by americus 2.0.)

(01-10-2021, 01:41 PM)CSTblank Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bill Belicheck had a guy commit murder on the Patriots.

Dang I didn't make that connection until you said it. I completely forgot about that.

(01-10-2021, 01:41 PM)CSTblank Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bill Belicheck had a guy commit murder on the Patriots.

Dang I didn't make that connection until you said it. I completely forgot about that.

It's kinda crazy that we haven't really even talked about whether we think Urban's offense can work in the NFL. Spread and shred works great when the preponderance of the best athletes are on offense and defenses are only allowed 20 hours to practice a week. Will it work when the defenses are also blazing fast and they can work on stopping it full time? Plenty of people are skeptical about that.

Smile 

(01-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Ordar Wrote: I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Are the big objections on here due to the off field concerns? Is there anything (bar him never coaching in the nfl) that is a concern from a coaching standpoint?

My concerns with Urban Meyer are the following:

1. No NFL Experience.  I firmly believe there is a difference between coaching in college and the NFL.  I looked up head coaches who took teams to Super Bowls, either as a winner or a loser.  You have to go back 25 years to Barry Switzer to find a single exception of a Super Bowl head coach who came to that team without having previously been an NFL head coach, NFL assistant head coach or NFL coordinator.  NFL experience matters.  Saban and Spurrier failed as NFL coaches.  Why should we expect differently with Meyer?
  2. GM Impact.  It is widely being assumed that Meyer, if selected, would get to choose and have significant influence over the new general manager.  This will likely scare aware the good candidates.  We would go from having one of the most desirable open GM positions to one of the least.  
  3. Doesn't Stay.  His track record is that he doesn't stay with programs for the long haul.  This is particularly dangerous in the NFL if he has significant influence over player acquisitions.  He may make short term decisions instead of looking out for the long term best interest of the team.
  4. Health.  He's had health issues in the past.  A head coach having to step away could cause serious disruption to a team.
  5. Overlooking Bad Behavior.  He has a track record of overlooking or being very lenient with players and staff who have done bad things.
  6. Salary.  I know there's no salary cap for coaches, but if he is getting $10+ million per year as is being speculated and it's guaranteed, Khan will never fire him no matter how poor of a job he is doing.  The reality is that any coaching hire is a risk.  If the other candidates turn out to be flops, at least we can cut bait and change direction fairly quickly.  With Meyer, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract ends.
Other than that, I guess he's ok.

(01-10-2021, 03:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Ordar Wrote: I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Are the big objections on here due to the off field concerns? Is there anything (bar him never coaching in the nfl) that is a concern from a coaching standpoint?

1. No NFL Experience.  I firmly believe there is a difference between coaching in college and the NFL.  I looked up head coaches who took teams to Super Bowls, either as a winner or a loser.  You have to go back 25 years to Barry Switzer to find a single exception of a Super Bowl head coach who came to that team without having previously been an NFL head coach, NFL assistant head coach or NFL coordinator.  NFL experience matters.  Saban and Spurrier failed as NFL coaches.  Why should we expect differently with Meyer?
  2. GM Impact.  It is widely being assumed that Meyer, if selected, would get to choose and have significant influence over the new general manager.  This will likely scare aware the good candidates.  We would go from having one of the most desirable open GM positions to one of the least.  
  3. Doesn't Stay.  His track record is that he doesn't stay with programs for the long haul.  This is particularly dangerous in the NFL if he has significant influence over player acquisitions.  He may make short term decisions instead of looking out for the long term best interest of the team.
  4. Health.  He's had health issues in the past.  A head coach having to step away could cause serious disruption to a team.
  5. Overlooking Bad Behavior.  He has a track record of overlooking or being very lenient with players and staff who have done bad things.
  6. Salary.  I know there's no salary cap for coaches, but if he is getting $10+ million per year as is being speculated and it's guaranteed, Khan will never fire him no matter how poor of a job he is doing.  The reality is that any coaching hire is a risk.  If the other candidates turn out to be flops, at least we can cut bait and change direction fairly quickly.  With Meyer, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract ends.

I agree with all of these points.

Some people keep pointing out Bieniemy's past, but the guy has NFL experience and hasn't has issues under Andy Reid.  One of the best coaches in the history of the league and the NFL's best QB are also vouching for him.

+1. 

I agree with all the points you suggested here and I think they are most certainly valid areas of concern.

On the other hand he has been successful at every stop he has been at and made those programs into elite organizations, but agreed their are question marks about his ability to transition to the NFL.  One thing though is he doesn't seem to like recruiting and that's taken a toll on his health.  So with recruiting not being an issue he may actually be better in the NFL.