Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(02-03-2022, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 05:49 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Brady is from Jacksonville?

When the greatest QB ever endorses him, I tend to take it to heart.

Not many other NFL teams did.  Outside of Jacksonville, there are/were 8 NFL head coaching openings.  Only 1 interviewed him and 0 gave him a second interview.  I like Byron, but some on here act like he walked on water and was the greatest head coaching candidate of all time.  He got fairly minimal interest outside of Jacksonville.

So... the exact same amount of interest as Doug Pederson got?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-04-2022, 10:36 AM)Sibelius Wrote: I think Leftwich made a principled position when he said he didn't want to work with Baalke. But specifying which GM he wants the team to hire was probably an overstep. Had they been interviewing Wilson for GM and he said he wanted Leftwich as HC, that makes more sense. But the HC demanding a certain person for GM?

Maybe he just recommended Wilson. That would make more sense.

To counter, though, if someone offers you a job, and you voice reservations about working alongside someone high up in the building, the hiring panel would be poorly served to not ask what you would suggest to resolve their discomfort.

I don't *think* (read: not stating fact, merely supposition) that Byron made this Wilson or bust type of ultimatum. If we rolled with Spielman at GM, would he have taken the job? We'll be discussing these past few weeks for years. So much to speculate on, and the way the paths diverge will be quite interesting to look back and see who made the right choices.

(02-04-2022, 10:50 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:36 AM)Sibelius Wrote: I think Leftwich made a principled position when he said he didn't want to work with Baalke. But specifying which GM he wants the team to hire was probably an overstep. Had they been interviewing Wilson for GM and he said he wanted Leftwich as HC, that makes more sense. But the HC demanding a certain person for GM?

Maybe he just recommended Wilson. That would make more sense.

To counter, though, if someone offers you a job, and you voice reservations about working alongside someone high up in the building, the hiring panel would be poorly served to not ask what you would suggest to resolve their discomfort.

I don't *think* (read: not stating fact, merely supposition) that Byron made this Wilson or bust type of ultimatum. If we rolled with Spielman at GM, would he have taken the job? We'll be discussing these past few weeks for years. So much to speculate on, and the way the paths diverge will be quite interesting to look back and see who made the right choices.

Yeah, I agree - I was thinking along those lines when I said maybe he just recommended Wilson. And I hope for his sake that's how it went.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(02-04-2022, 10:38 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Not many other NFL teams did.  Outside of Jacksonville, there are/were 8 NFL head coaching openings.  Only 1 interviewed him and 0 gave him a second interview.  I like Byron, but some on here act like he walked on water and was the greatest head coaching candidate of all time.  He got fairly minimal interest outside of Jacksonville.

So... the exact same amount of interest as Doug Pederson got?

Doug had 4 teams interested 
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/01...ead-coach/

(02-04-2022, 10:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I implied that I think this was his best shot, yes.  Not his only.  I don't think his offense will ever be as good as it was these last 2 years.

Wow, there's a bold take.  Had possibly the best QB ever and without him his offense will not be as good.  Way to go out on a limb.

You're supporting his argument and don't even realise it, moron.  This forum is full of logic challenged idiots.  Quite entertaining, if frequently depressing as a statement on the human condition.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 05:24 PM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-04-2022, 05:20 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Wow, there's a bold take.  Had possibly the best QB ever and without him his offense will not be as good.  Way to go out on a limb.

You're supporting his argument and don't even realise it, moron.  This forum is full of logic challenged idiots.  Quite entertaining, if frequently depressing as a statement on the human condition.

Blow it our your rear loser.

How am I 'supporting his point'?  Jack [BLEEP].  A coordinator...ANY coordinator is going to be BETTER with Brady as his QB.  Does that mean said coordinator isn't good.  Emphatic no.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The decision has been made. I'm all behind it now.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 05:32 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I respect Leftwich for withdrawing his name from consideration. He's a man of principle and he's showing that he's going to stick to his plan and he clearly wants to work with people he trusts. I think that's far beyond reasonable.

If this team ends up hiring Spielman and Baalke takes a demotion it'll just ultimately further cement the fact that Leftwich was on the right track, and, Khan had to adjust his line of thinking and approach to land Pederson.

I could see the hesitancy to want to hire a first time head coach (despite the fact that the trend as of late seems to actually favor this route) and I could see the argument as to why Khan would want to pursue a guy of Pederson's caliber considering he's already been to the mountain top and won it all.

Leftwich was able to get something out of Winston. Leftwich was able to get Brady to sing his praises. I think Leftwich showcased plenty of skill and knowledge of the game and I actually really, really like his approach offensively. He's going to be an NFL Headcoach in the near future. If he ends up sitting tight in Tampa Bay it could be the best move by not making any moves.

Just wait it out and see what Arians does. Of course it's going to be a tough year with Brady retired and a few missing pieces on the way out with Gronkowski, Godwin and Brown (obviously) more than likely not coming back.

This gives Leftwich another opportunity to show why he deserves a shot at being a head coach. Maybe they end up getting a lot out of Trask in year two. Maybe they end up getting Bridgewater to come down to Tampa Bay for a year or two. Hell, maybe Rodgers jumps Green Bay for Tampa Bay. You never know.

Either way. Fully confident Leftwich will do his job and it'll show on gameday.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-04-2022, 05:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 05:20 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: You're supporting his argument and don't even realise it, moron.  This forum is full of logic challenged idiots.  Quite entertaining, if frequently depressing as a statement on the human condition.

Blow it our your rear loser.

How am I 'supporting his point'?  Jack [BLEEP].

1. His argument is that this will likely be Leftwich's best shot at a HC role (not his only shot, just his best)

You disagree with him and instead agree with your mate Cletus that this is not Leftwich's best shot.

2. His support for his argument is that the Brady-led offense of the last two years is the best offense Leftwich will ever have.  Any time after this when he tries to get an HC position it will be more difficult because his teams will be lower-performing and on top of that it will be apparent that he lucked out getting Brady's final two years.

You laugh at him for making the "bold call" regarding Brady, as if using an indisputable truth as the basis for his argument is a bad thing.  But in laughing at him and conceding Brady's importance you grant that this is the best offense Leftwich will ever have and re-enforce the logic this was likely his best chance.

As a double positive, though, the fact that I had to spell this out to you like this supports my argument that you're a logic-challenged idiot.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 05:39 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-04-2022, 05:33 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 05:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Blow it our your rear loser.

How am I 'supporting his point'?  Jack [BLEEP].

1. His argument is that this will likely be Leftwich's best shot at a HC role (not his only shot, just his best)

You disagree with him and instead agree with your mate Cletus that this is not Leftwich's best shot.

2. His support for his argument is that the Brady-led offense of the last two years is the best offense Leftwich will ever have.  Any time after this when he tries to get an HC position it will be more difficult because his teams will be lower-performing and on top of that it will be apparent that he lucked out getting Brady's final two years.

You laugh at him for making the "bold call" regarding Brady, as if using an indisputable truth as the basis for his argument is a bad thing.  But in laughing at him and conceding Brady's importance you grant that this is the best offense Leftwich will ever have and re-enforce the logic this was likely his best chance.

As a double positive, though, the fact that I had to spell this out to you like this supports my argument that you're a logic-challenged idiot.

Aren't you special in your little fantasy world?  Never mind that you twisted and added your own twisted 'logic'.  You keep at it idiot.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-03-2022, 07:41 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/e_dilla/status/14893...73666?s=21

Some of you are really going to talk yourselves into Bisaccia or whatever his name is.

Heh, Jags fans always want whatever didn't happen.  This organisation (and the fan-base) need to do a George Costanza and do the complete opposite of every instinct.

"Hire this man!"
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-04-2022, 02:48 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 02:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does this mean we can stop projecting uninformed personal opinions as fact now?

So people from Arizona and Tampa have uninformed and personal opinions about the Jags now?

That's rich coming from somebody who ate up everything Urban Meyer said and was vouching for him every chance you could get.

They were ultimately uninformed because nothing that they said came to pass.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I was not initially excited about Leftwich, but the idea of him teaming up with Wilson piqued my interest. Two young men like them could attract a lot of talent to the team. IDK, on one hand he his pretty green to be a HC , but on the other hand a dynamic duo like them two could have made things interesting. At the end of the day tho, what this team needs is an experienced HC that knows how to develop QB's and we now have that.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(02-04-2022, 06:47 PM)Ronster Wrote: I was not initially excited about Leftwich, but the idea of him teaming up with Wilson piqued my interest. Two young men like them could attract a lot of talent to the team. IDK, on one hand he his pretty green to be a HC , but on the other hand a dynamic duo like them two could have made things interesting. At the end of the day tho, what this team needs is an experienced HC that knows how to develop QB's and we now have that.

I Concur to ALL of this.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(02-04-2022, 06:47 PM)Ronster Wrote: I was not initially excited about Leftwich, but the idea of him teaming up with Wilson piqued my interest. Two young men like them could attract a lot of talent to the team. IDK, on one hand he his pretty green to be a HC , but on the other hand a dynamic duo like them two could have made things interesting. At the end of the day tho, what this team needs is an experienced HC that knows how to develop QB's and we now have that.

I can agree to this.  I do not think a Rookie Gm combined with a Rookie QB is right for this Jaguars scenario.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(02-04-2022, 07:35 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

I can agree to this.  I do not think a Rookie Gm combined with a Rookie QB is right for this Jaguars scenario.

When the coaching search started I was thinking of the young OCs who were available. But as our front office showed how screwed up it is and it became clear that Baalke was sticking around, I realized that we really needed someone who already had HC experience and could deal with Baalke's BS as well as lead an entire team. That's when it became clear to me that the best choices were Caldwell or Pederson. I preferred Caldwell at first, but people were concerned about his age and that kinda made sense to me as well. So Pederson ultimately became my choice. He just seemed to provide the best set of skills and experience for what the Jags really need.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 12:15 AM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2022, 06:38 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 05:46 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Sucks about leftwitch about to withdraw himself. Smh

Has this come out somewhere?  If it has, remember that it's often a defensive measure to avoid the stain of being rejected.  When it becomes obvious a candidate won't be selected, he'll often drop out of the process rather than let everyone know he got a 'No'.  He remains a more viable candidate for future opportunities.  As he's looking to step up into his first HC gig, I think this is more likely than not in Leftwich's case.  Particularly likely given the hype train his agent was running.

If there's a coach stepping down to Jacksonville and the role, like Pederson, who rejects then I think it's more likely a genuine 'No'.

Just because I love to say I told you so, I told you so.  Leftwich dropped when he knew he wasn't getting the job.  Better for his future prospects to withdraw before being given the 'No'.

(02-05-2022, 12:15 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 06:38 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: Has this come out somewhere?  If it has, remember that it's often a defensive measure to avoid the stain of being rejected.  When it becomes obvious a candidate won't be selected, he'll often drop out of the process rather than let everyone know he got a 'No'.  He remains a more viable candidate for future opportunities.  As he's looking to step up into his first HC gig, I think this is more likely than not in Leftwich's case.  Particularly likely given the hype train his agent was running.

If there's a coach stepping down to Jacksonville and the role, like Pederson, who rejects then I think it's more likely a genuine 'No'.

Just because I love to say I told you so, I told you so.  Leftwich dropped when he knew he wasn't getting the job.  Better for his future prospects to withdraw before being given the 'No'.

You can't withdraw yourself when the team already moved on in a different direction lol

I liked both possibilities. I'm happy with the final decision. I think some of the drama got blown out of portion due to the fans on twitter going bonkers. I get it. We went a little crazy here too. I just think a lot was speculation and rumors.

Going to close this one up since Pederson is the guy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato