Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(02-01-2023, 08:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What about Jawaan Taylor?  What kind of contract do people think it would take to get him back?

His rookie deal was at $7.8M with $1.9M APY at $5.7M guaranteed. I know he had his best year as a Jaguar. Coming off the loss of his father. Seemed like he had a kick in the [BLEEP] to get into gear last season. With that said. 

His pass protection was decent. His run blocking was average at best. I don't think we'll have to break the bank to keep him here. I would throw something at him along the lines of:

4 years / $17.5M / Give him $3.5M in signing bonus money - Would come out to $3.5M APY. I think that's fair. If you look at the RT position across the NFL it's really all over the place contract wise because of age, team needs, rookie contracts where guys like Tristan Wirfs and Mike McGlinchey are due for their big deals soon. 

Taylor was good. Just not good enough IMHO to where you need to be throwing $20M+ in total value at him. I slightly more than doubled what he earned on his rookie deal though. 

In a perfect world? We didn't resign Cam Robinson last year, Walker Little plays LT in 2022 and Taylor is resigned, completely worry free for the long haul at RT this off season. Now? We're pretty much stuck with Robinson and we have a swing tackle that was drafted with a 2nd RD pick three years ago that needs to start full time at one of these positions. 

Me thinks it's Little at RT next year with hopefully a fair competition with Robinson this summer for the LT job. I think Taylor gets overpaid by a team that needs him desperately. He'll probably get a $20M offer elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

$17.5 million total with $3.5 million average?!?  That's a no brainer if I ever saw one.  Backup IOL Shatley has a cap hit of almost $3.5 million this year.  Keeping Taylor will cost far more than that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2023, 10:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 09:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: No, nowhere near that. $17.5M over four years? In total value? That's nowhere near the top. 

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Havenstein's deal is $34.5M
Okorafor's deal is $29.25M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
McGlinchey's deal is $18.3M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

Resigning Taylor at $17.5M over four years with $3.5M up front is a steal, IMHO. However, he's probably going to get a team willing to throw $20M+ at him over four years. Wirfs and McGlinchey are probably going to push close, if not, more than what the Saints gave Ramczyk when their initial deals are up.

20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT in the league.  Good lord dude

(02-01-2023, 10:13 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: 20 mil over 4 years I’d be willing to bet my house that he’s going to be making 15mil a year

A team isn't going to make Taylor the highest paid RT in the league lol.  If a team wants to do that it would be great for us as we will likely get a 3rd round comp pick next year

when someone says $X.XX over Y years, you divde the X by Y. Why do you keep fixating on the total amount as a yearly amount?

That said, I think Caldrac is way off, Taylor will be looking at much more than $5M per season from his suitors. I don't think we enter the mix, nor do I really want to, at that expense. I think the rookie deals in that list skew things way off, too. I'd expect him in the area of 4yrs, 32-36M total, 20M guaranteed.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-01-2023, 10:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Guys, we have a franchise QB who will be on a rookie deal for up to the next 3 years.  Now is not the time to play hardball with guys who can help us win a Super Bowl.  A lot of you are even proposing contract offers that are, frankly, insulting to the players involved.  I hope our front office doesn't do that.
As I outlined in an earlier post, our salary cap is completely manageable.  
Now is the time to push our chips into the middle of the table and go for it.

What contracts are insulting an what would you want to pay Engram and Taylor? You have to be smart with the money not stupid. Instead of making Taylor the highest paid RT or even top 5 I'd go sign a guy like Fletcher Cox or Javon Hargrave or both. Brandon Graham is a FA as well and I'm sure they would like to play for their old coach being the Eagles won't have the money to resign them all

If another team decides to bid big on Taylor at RT (despite his run game tape) , he'll probably be looking at guaranteed money somewhere between 26-33 mil with incentives that could push it higher, IMO.

How they divvy that up between contract years could go a few different ways, but between 9 and 11 mil per year would not surprise me. Pass first teams that see the direction the league are going value RT more than ever.

Is it possible someone gives him a Lane Johnson type of huge contract? Yes.
I'm just not sure the 1 year sample + the run game struggles will bear that kind of fruit for Taylor.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 10:43 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2023, 10:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 10:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT in the league.  Good lord dude

A team isn't going to make Taylor the highest paid RT in the league lol.  If a team wants to do that it would be great for us as we will likely get a 3rd round comp pick next year

when someone says $X.XX over Y years, you divde the X by Y. Why do you keep fixating on the total amount as a yearly amount?

That said, I think Caldrac is way off, Taylor will be looking at much more than $5M per season from his suitors. I don't think we enter the mix, nor do I really want to, at that expense. I think the rookie deals in that list skew things way off, too. I'd expect him in the area of 4yrs, 32-36M total, 20M guaranteed.
Because he was talking about 17.5 and 20 mil per year not guaranteed money. 20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT annually

(02-01-2023, 09:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: At 17.5 mil. you are making him a top 5 paid RT

No, nowhere near that. $17.5M over four years? In total value? That's nowhere near the top. 

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Havenstein's deal is $34.5M
Okorafor's deal is $29.25M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
McGlinchey's deal is $18.3M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

Resigning Taylor at $17.5M over four years with $3.5M up front is a steal, IMHO. However, he's probably going to get a team willing to throw $20M+ at him over four years. Wirfs and McGlinchey are probably going to push close, if not, more than what the Saints gave Ramczyk when their initial deals are up.

Some people got confused because they assumed you meant $17.5 million per year.  $17.5 million total is ridiculously low.  See Marty's message about salaries constantly going up and having to factor when a contract was signed.  Some of the players above are still on their rookie contracts.

(02-01-2023, 10:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 10:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: when someone says $X.XX over Y years, you divde the X by Y. Why do you keep fixating on the total amount as a yearly amount?

Because he was talking about 17.5 and 20 mil per year not guaranteed money.  20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT annually
You thought Kirk was overpaid.....

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 10:57 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-01-2023, 10:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 10:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Guys, we have a franchise QB who will be on a rookie deal for up to the next 3 years.  Now is not the time to play hardball with guys who can help us win a Super Bowl.  A lot of you are even proposing contract offers that are, frankly, insulting to the players involved.  I hope our front office doesn't do that.

What contracts are insulting an what would you want to pay Engram and Taylor?  You have to be smart with the money not stupid.  Instead of making Taylor the highest paid RT or even top 5 I'd go sign a guy like Fletcher Cox or Javon Hargrave or both.  Brandon Graham is a FA as well and I'm sure they would like to play for their old coach being the Eagles won't have the money to resign them all

4 years, 17.5 million total for Taylor is massively insulting.  

For Engram, I'd offer at least $60 million over 4 years, with $45 million guaranteed.  $20 million signing bonus.  Signing bonus is part of the $45 million guarantee.   
Annual Salaries:
Year 1: $3 million.  Cap hit: $8 million.
Year 2: $9 million.  Cap hit: $14 million. 
Year 3: $11 million.  Cap hit: $16 million. 
Year 4: $18 million.  Cap hit: $23 million.  
Dead money if cut after year 3: $5 million.  
Obviously, after year 3, we need to either negotiate a new contract or waive him.  
And obviously, if I offer this, he would ask for more, since we are negotiating, so we would inevitably wind up somewhere north of what I offered.  

You have to also be cognizant of the fact that Engram has been in the system for a year and would be ahead of anyone we sign to replace him. 

For Taylor, since we have 3 pretty good OTs, I would not be as aggressive.  I'd offer him $40 million over 4 years, with $10 million guaranteed, and a $15 million signing bonus.

Fletcher Cox is 32 years old.  I would say no to that.  
Javon Hargrave would be interesting.  I have no idea what I would offer him.

(02-01-2023, 10:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

What contracts are insulting an what would you want to pay Engram and Taylor?  You have to be smart with the money not stupid.  Instead of making Taylor the highest paid RT or even top 5 I'd go sign a guy like Fletcher Cox or Javon Hargrave or both.  Brandon Graham is a FA as well and I'm sure they would like to play for their old coach being the Eagles won't have the money to resign them all
You don't think Cox and Graham are looking for the biggest contract they can get right now? You actually believe they would take a discount to go play for Doug instead of signing a discount for the team they've spent their whole careers with and a team who is in the SB?

(02-01-2023, 08:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 08:14 AM)jj82284 Wrote: I said it b4, I'll say it again.  Don't fall in love with these guys.  It's about 16.  Everyone else is disposable.  Of there was no cap, resign Engram.  You can make a deeper argument about why we're having cap problems with a qb on a rookie contract.  But if we Bring him back it's going to have to be on terms extremely favorable to the team. 

If I'm his agent ad my client is 28 at the peak of his marketability,I'm trying to break the bank.
You’re right. It is about 16.

And it’s about continuing to surround 16 with playmaking talent and OLine help.

5 for 32 is indispensable playmaking talent?

(02-01-2023, 11:07 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 08:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You’re right. It is about 16.

And it’s about continuing to surround 16 with playmaking talent and OLine help.

5 for 32 is indispensable playmaking talent?
You cherry picking 1 game to help your argument? lol

Would you like me to cherry pick the first tacks game? Or the Chargers game? or the Jets game?

(02-01-2023, 10:49 AM)Cleatwoodup 7 Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 10:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Because he was talking about 17.5 and 20 mil per year not guaranteed money.  20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT annually
You thought Kirk was overpaid.....

You have a bad memory.  Go read the first post of the Kirk thread.  I liked how Baalke did that contract when the details came out .

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 11:26 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-07-2022, 08:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 08:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Glad to see you've come around when you were "I absolutely do not want Kirk" before they signed him....

I didn't want to give that type of money to a slot WR, now you you look at some of these contracts given out to WRs after we signed Kirk it doesn't look as bad and how the contract was written.  I wanted ARob but Kirk is a Jag now so he's my guy, I pull for everyone that puts the Jags jersey on.
This you?

Your first post also mentions how easy it is to get out of his contract after 2 years. That's not really a ringing endorsement.

Again, go and look at the current RT's and look at the total contract amount. Giving Taylor what I offered would put him right in the middle of the pack. Literally puts him right at the 15th or 16th mark.

You think he should be making more money than Wirfs and McGlinchey who were former first rounders and have been consistently better than Taylor since day one? No way. No thanks. Anything over $20M in TOTAL is wayyyyy too rich for my blood.

Especially for a guy that's only decent in pass protection and a complete liability in run blocking. Again, I am sure a team that's desperate will overpay him but I am not sold after ONE year of good play where he was extremely inconsistent and had a ton of mental lapses the prior two, three years.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 11:35 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2023, 10:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 10:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What contracts are insulting an what would you want to pay Engram and Taylor?  You have to be smart with the money not stupid.  Instead of making Taylor the highest paid RT or even top 5 I'd go sign a guy like Fletcher Cox or Javon Hargrave or both.  Brandon Graham is a FA as well and I'm sure they would like to play for their old coach being the Eagles won't have the money to resign them all
You don't think Cox and Graham are looking for the biggest contract they can get right now? You actually believe they would take a discount to go play for Doug instead of signing a discount for the team they've spent their whole careers with and a team who is in the SB?

Of course they will want the biggest contract they can get.  Where on my post did I say they are going to play for us on a discount?  Lol

(02-01-2023, 11:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 08:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I didn't want to give that type of money to a slot WR, now you you look at some of these contracts given out to WRs after we signed Kirk it doesn't look as bad and how the contract was written.  I wanted ARob but Kirk is a Jag now so he's my guy, I pull for everyone that puts the Jags jersey on.
This you?

Your first post also mentions how easy it is to get out of his contract after 2 years. That's not really a ringing endorsement.

It's to save your own [BLEEP] if he didn't live up too it.  You have to be smart with the contracts. Why not just make all your contracts fully guaranteed?

(02-01-2023, 11:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Again, go and look at the current RT's and look at the total contract amount. Giving Taylor what I offered would put him right in the middle of the pack. Literally puts him right at the 15th or 16th mark.

You think he should be making more money than Wirfs and McGlinchey who were former first rounders and have been consistently better than Taylor since day one? No way. No thanks. Anything over $20M in TOTAL is wayyyyy too rich for my blood.

Especially for a guy that's only decent in pass protection and a complete liability in run blocking. Again, I am sure a team that's desperate will overpay him but I am not sold after ONE year of good play where he was extremely inconsistent and had a ton of mental lapses the prior two, three years.

How may years are you talking about makes a difference?  1 at 20 mil, 2, 3?

(02-01-2023, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 11:07 AM)jj82284 Wrote: 5 for 32 is indispensable playmaking talent?
You cherry picking 1 game to help your argument? lol

Would you like me to cherry pick the first tacks game? Or the Chargers game? or the Jets game?

What would you give Engram and Taylor?

Last year I didn't give a damn about paying more than market for any free agent.

This year it's a different cap situation, but we are talking about two or three vital signings that can be managed. We are not spending a record amount in free agency on a slew of players like last year.

Still not a big deal if one or two of these guys gets paid more than a few fans think he should make.
I'm not sweating these potential salary numbers. They'll keep who they can keep and look to the draft and mid-tier FA for the rest.

(02-01-2023, 12:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You cherry picking 1 game to help your argument? lol

I'd resign Engram or use the franchise tag on him. Draft another tight end to complement him and eventually replace him. Also, let Arnold walk. He wasn't given many opportunities in Pederson's TE friendly offense, so evidently Pederson doesn't think much of him. 

I'd let Taylor walk. You can't keep everyone you want with the salary cap, and Taylor is a dispensable part. His ceiling is average right tackle, and he's going to want to be paid more than that. Draft his replacement.

Since Little is the future at left tackle and has already proven to be better there than Robinson, I would force Robinson to play right tackle next year. I wouldn't resign him after this year. He's being paid handsomely, even though he's average at left tackle and often injured.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-01-2023, 12:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You cherry picking 1 game to help your argument? lol

100 million to Engram and 100 million to Taylor.

But in reality, I'm waiting to see how much cap space the team is working with after restructures and cuts before making them an offer.