Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Let's be clear about JJ Watt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
After the love-feat yesterday that made me wonder "is this worse than the Tebow effect?" I decided to do some checking, and in no way is JJ Watt deserving of the MVP. Not only does he not deserve the MVP, I don't even think he deserves the first defensive MVP vote since 2008. Here's why:

1) This guy didn't even lead the league in sacks, yet I'm supposed to call him the best player in the game, and believe that he's as good as Lawrence Taylor? Please.

2) Look at the stats, and you'll actually have to laugh at the thought of him being the MVP. 15 of his 20 sacks came against the AFC South, 6 against the Jags. We all know how bad the offensive lines are in the AFC South, so does 5 sacks against everyone else really scream MVP to you?

3) Everyone points to the TDs to support the MVP talk. Are you really that impressed with a huge guy, who used to play tight end, catching passes from a yard out? I'm not. If they would've handed it off to him, I would've been more impressed.

This isn't to say that JJ Watt isn't a very good and at times dominating player, but the Tebow-level of [BLEEP] kissing the media put on display yesterday and all the MVP talk is hogwash in my opinion.

I'll go a step further and say I think Justin Houston is better. He got 4 sacks yesterday, mostly on former first round pick DJ Fluker. JJ Watt meanwhile has gone up against the likes of Sam Young and Luke Joeckel.

The JJ Watt for MVP talk is a very Houston-like argument.
I agree with ya on the media love fest for the man. Seemed like there were only three types of reports during Sunday's game: Here's what JJ Watt just did, here's what JJ Watt did earlier, and here's how great a person JJ Watt is. Even when the Jaguars had a good play the only analysis was on how and why JJ Watt didn't stop the play.

J.J. Watt is the most dominant defensive lineman in the league, easily. Most dominant in NFL history is not too far fetched, in fact, it'll prob end up being that way.

He is the first person to EVER have 20+ sacks in consecutive years. It's not crazy to think he will do it again next year etheir.

He also can play every dline position at the same dominant level.

He also has 5 TDs.

And oh yea, he's 25 years old.
He's a great player, but getting to feast on the Jaguars and titans has really helped with his mystique.

If both of those teams were any good he'd be hitting in the mid teens for his sack totals instead of butting up against the all time record.

He had about 30% of his sacks this season against the Jaguars, a team he played about 12.5% of his games against.

Let that sink in.

I don't think you have seen Watt play, the guy is unstoppable
Quote:I agree with ya on the media love fest for the man. Seemed like there were only three types of reports during Sunday's game: Here's what JJ Watt just did, here's what JJ Watt did earlier, and here's how great a person JJ Watt is. Even when the Jaguars had a good play the only analysis was on how and why JJ Watt didn't stop the play.

I agree with you.  It was a JJ Watt fest on Fox yesterday.  It was showing him before during and the sideline, all JJ Watt.
Quote:I don't think you have seen Watt play, the guy is unstoppable

If you've only seen him play against the Jaguars you'd certainly be forgiven for thinking so.

He literally had 10 of his sacks between the four games against the Jaguars and titans. If he could only play against us and the titans he'd almost double up the NFL record.

Fortunately he can be handled by good offensive lines.

0 sacks against Dallas

0 sacks against Buffalo

0 sacks against Cincinnati

1 sack against Cleveland

1 sack against Baltimore.

3 sacks twice against the Jaguars

2 sacks twice against the titans.

So, he's good, but he's definitely not unstoppable, and he's made his reputation against the dregs of the league.
He's MVP in my books. If only for QB MVP fatigue.
Quote:If you've only seen him play against the Jaguars you'd certainly be forgiven for thinking so.

He literally had 10 of his sacks between the four games against the Jaguars and titans. If he could only play against us and the titans he'd almost double up the NFL record.

0 sacks against Dallas

0 sacks against Buffalo

1 sack against Cleveland

So, he's good, but he's definitely not unstoppable, and he's made his reputation against the dregs of the league.
I have seen him play a lot more than just the Jags, I don't look at the numbers. Watch him play, how many hurries does he get? Tackles behind the line, stop the run in the back field. On almost every play the qb is running from Watt if he doesn't get the sack. I don't go off of stats, you are the same guy that thought Gabbert was good so I don't even want to hear what you say about Watt
Quote:If you've only seen him play against the Jaguars you'd certainly be forgiven for thinking so.

0 sacks against Dallas

0 sacks against Buffalo

1 sack against Cleveland

Is that the same Buffalo game where he took an interception 80yards for the TD? Yeah he was none existent that game.
He's very good.  Not the league MVP though. 

Quote:Is that the same Buffalo game where he took an interception 80yards for the TD? Yeah he was none existent that game.

Good play on his part, and like I said, he's a great player, but it's not like he can't be blocked, and if your QB doesn't throw it to him he doesn't get an INT.

I didn't even bother to include his 0 sack game against the Giants.
Quote:After the love-feat yesterday that made me wonder "is this worse than the Tebow effect?" I decided to do some checking, and in no way is JJ Watt deserving of the MVP. Not only does he not deserve the MVP, I don't even think he deserves the first defensive MVP vote since 2008. Here's why:

1) This guy didn't even lead the league in sacks, yet I'm supposed to call him the best player in the game, and believe that he's as good as Lawrence Taylor? Please.

2) Look at the stats, and you'll actually have to laugh at the thought of him being the MVP. 15 of his 20 sacks came against the AFC South, 6 against the Jags. We all know how bad the offensive lines are in the AFC South, so does 5 sacks against everyone else really scream MVP to you?

3) Everyone points to the TDs to support the MVP talk. Are you really that impressed with a huge guy, who used to play tight end, catching passes from a yard out? I'm not. If they would've handed it off to him, I would've been more impressed.

This isn't to say that JJ Watt isn't a very good and at times dominating player, but the Tebow-level of [BLEEP] kissing the media put on display yesterday and all the MVP talk is hogwash in my opinion.

I'll go a step further and say I think Justin Houston is better. He got 4 sacks yesterday, mostly on former first round pick DJ Fluker. JJ Watt meanwhile has gone up against the likes of Sam Young and Luke Joeckel.

The JJ Watt for MVP talk is a very Houston-like argument.

This, what do ppl see that makes him better than other players who are more talented. Watt is just a try hard
except people game plan to stop him, and they still cant.

6 of his sacks came against the jags who have the worst oline in the league
I have to laugh when you say "are you really impressed with a huge guy... Catching tds from a yard out". Well no, I don't laugh because our huge tight end couldn't catch a cold. He also has more tds than most other tight ends.
Hes still very good even tho he plays in a horrible division, Im just sick of QBs always winning it Undecided

Quote:This, what do ppl see that makes him better than other players who are more talented. Watt is just a try hard

literally no longer take anything you say seriously, at all.
Quote:Good play on his part, and like I said, he's a great player, but it's not like he can't be blocked, and if your QB doesn't throw it to him he doesn't get an INT.

I didn't even bother to include his 0 sack game against the Giants.

The point about jj watt is it's not solely about blocking him, it's about preventing the knocked down passes, interception and he's a guy you have to game plan for severely, slot of the texans sacks other than jj are simply because jj was treble teamed
MVP, well WATT can tell me all about at the bar while we watch the play offs together.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8