Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How Patient will Khan be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A lot of people seem to think that Khan will be perfectly content to let gus and staff stay on regardless of the end of season record.

However, I think we got a preview of Khan's mindset in week 3. Bradley made the qb switch, and khan shows up at the postgame press conference. Coincidence? Probably not. Gus and dave were steadfast in their belief that Blake should sit all year up until that week. Khan must have said something.

There's patience and then there's standing by while everything around you burns. If they do worse than 4 wins this year, you could hardly blame him for firing the staff.
I agree. He's not just going to sit and watch this franchise continue to dwell in the dumps. I also agree he told Gus if Henne stuck up the joint during the first half he will play Bortles. I don't blame him either if that's true. Look how empty the stadium was at the 3rd quarter. Embarrassing.
Yeah I figured external pressures outside of the coaching staff were involved in starting Blake, if Gus goes 0-16 I doubt he'll be here next year.  Other than that I'm sure he at least has another year. 

I just dont think asking for 4 wins in year 2 is too much to ask. That's such a low standard. And then i read Oehser's responses to questions about inexperience saying "im sure we'll spend big next year." Well why didnt we this year? And until they actually do spend big, I'm not buying it.
He hired Caldwell and I expect he'll trust him to make these decisions or at least advise him on them. 

Bradley is still safe.  His game management will have to improve and it likely will. 

I'd be shocked if any changes are made beyond possibly the DC and a position coach or two. Minor shuffling of a newly formed and mostly young staff. 

Khan has spoken a number of times about "building for the future" and "long-term success." He knows how young this roster is and he knows it's not there yet. 

From May last year- on Caldwell's plan of building through the draft and not spending big in free agency:

Quote:<p style="font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">“I like it. I endorse it, and I’m highly supportive of it,” Khan said late Monday afternoon, sitting in a courtyard at the Biltmore Resort during a break in the NFL owners’ meetings. “It’s pretty much doing everything the right way. One thing I’ve learned in life, you get to the fork in the road and have the easy way or the hard way. Most of the time, the hard way is the right way.”

<p style="font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">The Hard Way for the Jaguars is also the Current Way.

<p style="font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">During a miserable first season of ownership, Khan examined the league and concluded the Jaguars’ model was flawed.

<p style="font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">“You look at the teams that are successful and [ask], ‘How did they get there?’ ” he said. “I wanted to verify and get a reality check from some of the more successful teams.

I think Khan is wise enough to see this thing through without premature overreaction. Is it possible for Bradley to hang himself with bad coaching? Yes. 

Has he done that yet?

No. 

Quote:A lot of people seem to think that Khan will be perfectly content to let gus and staff stay on regardless of the end of season record.

However, I think we got a preview of Khan's mindset in week 3. Bradley made the qb switch, and khan shows up at the postgame press conference. Coincidence? Probably not. Gus and dave were steadfast in their belief that Blake should sit all year up until that week. Khan must have said something.

There's patience and then there's standing by while everything around you burns. If they do worse than 4 wins this year, you could hardly blame him for firing the staff.

Good, intelligent post. 

Quote:Yeah I figured external pressures outside of the coaching staff were involved in starting Blake, if Gus goes 0-16 I doubt he'll be here next year.  Other than that I'm sure he at least has another year. 

If Gus goes 0-16 this year you doubt he'll be here next year?? He goes 0-16 it better be certain Gus is not back next year. 

I mean, at 3-13, I'd doubt Bradley would be back next year....

Quote:I just dont think asking for 4 wins in year 2 is too much to ask. That's such a low standard. And then i read Oehser's responses to questions about inexperience saying "im sure we'll spend big next year." Well why didnt we this year? And until they actually do spend big, I'm not buying it.

4 wins in year 2 is hardly too much to ask for. Its very reasonable, and tbh, should be expected as a "floor" of the 2nd year. 

Quote:He hired Caldwell and I expect he'll trust him to make these decisions or at least advise him on them. 

Bradley is still safe.  His game management will have to improve and it likely will. 

I'd be shocked if any changes are made beyond possibly the DC and a position coach or two. Minor shuffling of a newly formed and mostly young staff. 

Khan has spoken a number of times about "building for the future" and "long-term success." He knows how young this roster is and he knows it's not there yet. 

From May last year- on Caldwell's plan of building through the draft and not spending big in free agency:

I think Khan is wise enough to see this thing through without premature overreaction. Is it possible for Bradley to hang himself with bad coaching? Yes. 

Has he done that yet?

No. 

Is it possible for Bradley to hang himself with bad coaching? Yes.

Has he done that yet? Yes he has, actually. 

Can he save himself by drastic improvement from this point forward to week 17? Yes, but we've also seen enough to know some staff changes would still need to be made. 
Quote:I think Khan is wise enough to see this thing through without premature overreaction. Is it possible for Bradley to hang himself with bad coaching? Yes. 
Has he done that yet?
No.
OK... I'll bite... But first, I will preface this by saying, I do not believe that Bradley should be fired *right now*. I believe he's made some very critical mistakes that should put him on a very short leash. But as far as right now, I'm still on board with giving him till the end of this year before I truly feel we know what we have with him as far as his coaching goes.

With that said:

So all the horrible decisions of this coaching staff, of which Bradley is the leader, has not been enough to hang Bradley.

It begs the question I hope a staunch Bradley supporter is willing to answer... What decision/outcome or culmination of decisions/outcomes would potentially merit recognition that Bradley has hung himself?
For me, 3-14 or 4-12 constitutes hanging himself... But that's my opinion as a fan who believes Bradley and his OCs should all be on a very very warm seat and a very tight leash.
Quote:OK... I'll bite... But first, I will preface this by saying, I do not believe that Bradley should be fired *right now*. I believe he's made some very critical mistakes that should put him on a very short leash. But as far as right now, I'm still on board with giving him till the end of this year before I truly feel we know what we have with him as far as his coaching goes.

With that said:

So all the horrible decisions of this coaching staff, of which Bradley is the leader, has not been enough to hang Bradley.

It begs the question I hope a staunch Bradley supporter is willing to answer... What decision/outcome or culmination of decisions/outcomes would potentially merit recognition that Bradley has hung himself?
Firstly - I'm not a staunch Bradley supporter.  I was a fan prior to the rash of game management gaffs and the drop in adequate play from the defensive back 7.  Now I'm skeptical but optimistic. 

I think he has a really, really young team and he can get better along with them.  Caldwell/Khan knew his lack of experience may rear it's ugly head at times.

Answering your question - If he continues to make bad decisions on the sideline as the season continues -  can't scrape out a few wins - and begins to lose the faith of his players - then Caldwell has to at least consider a change.    I don't think any of those things will happen, much less all three. 

That's just my opinion. I know many of you disagree. 
Khan has built himself into the successful business man that he is today. No one is ever successful their first years in starting something. Khan knows this. My opinion: he is intelligent to know that he is not intelligent in football, yet. Right now he is okay with taking his lumps. However, if this was year three,heads would roll. Bradley may not be the man for the head coaching job, but Caldwell and Co have brought us some thing new; instead of getting mad because we suck as much as we expect to, we are mad that we are sucking more than we should. Still not. A good situation but we know what where we should be. Brighter days are coming with Khan at the helm. Whether Caldwell and Bradley are along for the ride much longer is still in question.
I'm not buying this "it's all about year 3" stuff though, not from prisco, not from anyone. Does this team seriously look like it will be ready to compete for a playoff spot next year? No way.

And i can't agree with khan that this is necessarily the "right way". I dont think it's fair to say that, as this method of stripping and rebuilding has never been done before. Not enough money was spent in FA to fill the holes left by guys we let go. There was 0 chance of this approach working, at least in the near term.

COULD this work? Sure, maybe it pays dividends 4 years down the road. But that's an awful long time to wait.
He wants to look smart on his first hire as Jaguars owner so Gus has at least another year to not win. But in reality, he should be let go after this year. You don't put together 4-6 wins in 2 full seasons at the NFL level and expect to come back like everything is fine.

This team will not be competing for the playoffs next year.  No way - there is a huge gap in both playing experience and leadership.  There will need to be changes to the coaching staff, and some $$$ spent in free agency to upgrade positions to get up to the 8-8 level.  I don't see it.  

It's sad because I had high hopes that we would be better this year than last, but the constant losing is wearing the fan base down, the players get discouraged, and the cycle continues.  

I'll still continue to watch the Jags, however, I don't even get upset over the losing.  I don't have expectations of going to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl any time within the next few years.  

Quote:This team will not be competing for the playoffs next year.  No way - there is a huge gap in both playing experience and leadership.  There will need to be changes to the coaching staff, and some $$$ spent in free agency to upgrade positions to get up to the 8-8 level.  I don't see it.  

It's sad because I had high hopes that we would be better this year than last, but the constant losing is wearing the fan base down, the players get discouraged, and the cycle continues.  

I'll still continue to watch the Jags, however, I don't even get upset over the losing.  I don't have expectations of going to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl any time within the next few years.  

I used to get very involved in the games and get upset when the team was struggling or if we lost a close game. However, the last few years have done just as you said and worn me down to where I just expect to be disappointed in the outcome of the games. I still watch intensely and get excited during the games but it really seems delusional to think something is going to change so drastically in the near future that the team will be an elite contender. I am losing faith in this staff fast.

Quote:A lot of people seem to think that Khan will be perfectly content to let gus and staff stay on regardless of the end of season record.

The NFC East (other than the Redskins whom beat us) are a strong division this season 5-1 for Eagles & Cowboys & 3-3 for the Giants whom we still have to play (other than the skins & eagles).

The AFC South has improved (titans and Colts already beat us) Texans JJ Watt is having his career best year...

Basically I think it is a real possibility that the Jaguars might only win another 4 games this year if they dont do something about the CBs play,,.,,,,
That being said, I think it would be utterly stupid to fire Gus Bradley... just saying

Some of the decisions he's made on the sidelines this year have been bad... but he's had a helping hand in making some of those bad call by the info he's getting from whomever told him to challenge the calls this past Sunday... that's no excuse but that's what happened... that needs to be cleaned up plus some other minor stuff...

If this team had a good mix of Vets on offense with the youth it has it would have looked better from the start than what it did... the offense has improved minus the run game that still struggles... the OL is young and needs time to improve, plus the change at a couple positions, a couple weeks ago didn't help either...

The defense has started to play some better the last couple of games and there's improvement there for now...

As far as Khan being content... I don't think anyone of us knows how content he is... I think he should expect improvement the second half of this season and expect it to carry over next year... I don't think Gus will be fired this year, no matter the record, but I think he will be on a very short leash next year... I also think there will be some changes in the coaching staff after the season is over...

Quote:He wants to look smart on his first hire as Jaguars owner so Gus has at least another year to not win. But in reality, he should be let go after this year. You don't put together 4-6 wins in 2 full seasons at the NFL level and expect to come back like everything is fine.
you also don't have a great success starting as many rookies as they are either...How many rookies did they start last week? 6? I believe that's correct, so in other words, over half the starting offense were playing college ball last year...It's hard to make an argument that 6 rookies starting against 6 seasoned vets (assumably) is going to turn out well...

How many years has it been said before the rookies actually start to be productive? I do believe that magic number was said to be 3 many times on this board...Year 2 you should see improvement from rookies, year 3 they should be solid or at least productive...

Caldwell pretty much gutted the roster hoping that the drafted players all come into their prime at the same time...The owner knew what to expect, the GM knew what to expect, the HC knew what to expect, and the fans claimed to know what to expect...I remember this very board was pretty much in support of Caldwell's plan and agreed that year 3 would be the tell tale year, but as usual, the same people have flip flopped and declared that this year should be the year

Quote:That being said, I think it would be utterly stupid to fire Gus Bradley... just saying

There is little to no chance that Khan fires Gus after this season, even if he wins less games than last year or some how manages to go 0-16.

You can agree or disagree on whether he SHOULD be fired, but I just don't see it.

I just believe that Gus comes back for at least a 3rd season, but if there is not some kind of improvement in these last 10 games, especially with a QB who can actually make plays now, they will have to make some changes in the coaching staff. Some coaches will have to be let go.

Which ones? DC, OC, other coaches? They will have to make that decision, but if no improvement for the rest of the season, there will have to be changes.

Now if Gus starts out really bad again next season, his seat should definitely get hot, no question about that.
Does everyone write paragraphs on this thread? Geesh.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9