Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I think Toby Gerhart is going to shock some people
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The dude can run, he might not be blazing fast but he can run people over.. remember a few years back 3rd and 1 3rd and 2 it was almost a given MJD would pick that up for us? I think Gerhart will add that to our offense and allow us to be more versatile in tough situations. 

I'll say it again: if healthy he is good for a thousand yards and at least ten touchdowns.
This is like the second thread now? But yeah he was a second round draft pick and destroyed at Stanford I like how he runs and I think if he can do what he did against the Ravens' this year on a consistent basis, (btw he played that game like he played in college just mauling defenders) I think he'll be a great FA

Depending on what role Todman and Robinson play, I can see Gerhart racking up 900-1100 yards and 8-9  TDs. 
Novelty. Good for a year. He'll get beaten down like Hillis. You can't run upright and be an every down back.
Quote:Novelty. Good for a year. He'll get beaten down like Hillis. You can't run upright and be an every down back.

Gerhart has wiggle. He may not get low but he uses his hips to fool defenders. Hillis didn't do that. Two different types of runners.
I'm very excited for Gerhart. 

Quote:Gerhart has wiggle. He may not get low but he uses his hips to fool defenders. Hillis didn't do that. Two different types of runners.
he's still gotta run lower IMO
Quote:Novelty. Good for a year. He'll get beaten down like Hillis. You can't run upright and be an every down back.
I don't think he is an every down back. 
In my opinion, rushing yardage comes from having a good offensive line more than it comes from having a good running back.   It also depends on having a passing attack that can draw defenders away from the line of scrimmage.   In fact, I would say it takes a good defense to have a good rushing attack, because if you are always behind in games, you are going to have to pass the ball a lot more to catch up.   So it takes all 22 starters on offense and defense to have a 1,000 yard rusher.   Because if you're ahead in a game, you're going to run the ball a lot more.  

So this is why Toby Gerhart doesn't thrill me just by himself.   I want to see who is going to play center and RG, and then what WRs we can get for Henne to throw to and pull people away from the line of scrimmage, and then what kind of defense we have that is going to keep the other team out of the end zone and THEN after all of that, we will hand the ball to Gerhart, and THEN AND ONLY THEN will he get 1,000 yards rushing. 

I hope so because I picked him up on my 32 team keeper fantasy league, for more than I would of liked but still cheap for a #1 back.

Unless I have them in Fantasy, I dont care who does what aslong as we win Wink
Eddie George was a straight up runner and look what he did.  It remains to be seen what we will get out of this pickup.  All in all it looks like an off season win.  The real season puts the proof in the pudding.

If the line can open holes, Gerhart has enough skills to exploit them and put up numbers.  His production will be dependent upon the line.

I think he's average rb who is going to have avg numbers.

Let the Michael Turner comparisons begin! Turner played behind one of the best RB's of all time (Ladanian Tomlinson) then went to the Falcons and had double digit TD's in every season with the Falcons. He had almost 1,700 in one year and 1,300 in 2 others. In an 11 game season, he had 800 yards.

I've always like Gerhart and even better, I think he had a good fantasy year!

I'm thinking 10 touches per game would adequate.  Perhaps Todman is the guy that gives us the breaking speed and big plays but if he isn't we definitley need someone to compliment Gerhart and share the load.  Gerhart cannot fulfill the MJD role with 20-25 touches per game.

Quote:Let the Michael Turner comparisons begin! Turner played behind one of the best RB's of all time (Ladanian Tomlinson) then went to the Falcons and had double digit TD's in every season with the Falcons. He had almost 1,700 in one year and 1,300 in 2 others. In an 11 game season, he had 800 yards.

I've always like Gerhart and even better, I think he had a good fantasy year!

Turner is 5'10" and 245 pounds

Toby is 6'0" and 230 pounds

They run with totally different styles.
He plays faster than people give him credit for. Looking at him on tape he hits the holes fast and with his size can get up a head of steam. He reminds me a little Of Eddie George, about the same size and speed and they both have somewhat upright styles. Hopefully Gerhart can have that kind of success as a starter. ;-)
Quote:I'm thinking 10 touches per game would adequate.  Perhaps Todman is the guy that gives us the breaking speed and big plays but if he isn't we definitley need someone to compliment Gerhart and share the load.  Gerhart cannot fulfill the MJD role with 20-25 touches per game.

If Gerhart only gets 10 touches per game, we will lose a lot of games, because the only way he doesn't get the ball more than that is if we are behind and have to throw the ball to catch up.   If we are winning, he'll get a lot more than 10 touches per game.  

Unless you're Adrian Peterson.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7