Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: CVS first major drug store to end tobacco sales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Not sure how I feel about this, I'm a former smoker I kicked the habit 3 years ago. It's not good for you, no way to deny that and it's a major cause for rising health cost. I think as a company it's a risky move, there's still a large population that smokes, it's still a legal activity, it's extremely profitable and so on. As an individual the less people that smoke the better, I dunno just kind of surprising didn't think you'd even see this?

thoughts?

http://www.businessinsider.com/cvs-will-...r-1-2014-2

I respect their decision. CVS is changing their business approach, moving towards more health care offerings and less retail sales. I get my flu vaccine at CVS, some stores have a nurse practitioner for walk in patients. The image of getting medical care then buying a pack of cancer sticks on the way out doesn't fit their vision.

CVS is giving up $2 billion in annual sales of tobacco products. Props to them.

Congrats on being cigarette free for 3 years!  While tobacco products are legal, and should remain legal, a lot of things are put into cigarettes that should not be and are harmful to people's health.  

My wife is a former smoker.  Though she never smoked much.  A carton would last her about a year.  Still it wasn't a good habit, and she decided to make a decision to quit.   Thankfully she wasn't a smoker long.  It can have an adverse effect on your life.  I saw it with my mother.

Honestly, I don't think it's a risky move for CVS.  I'm not sure many people go to the drug store just to pick up cigarettes.  I'm sure many do pick them up while they're there, but doubt they go specifically for cigarettes.  The temptation would probably be there for anybody trying to quit.  Taking that away might just help someone.  And I think that's the purpose of a pharmacy.  

Don't forget about the high taxes that usually comes with buying a pack.

Quote:Don't forget about the high taxes that usually comes with buying a pack.
The high taxes and profits are the reason tobacco and pharma lobyists are pushing hard against e-cigs and vaporizers. 
Please keep in mind that when you start posting about taxes and lobbying, you're getting political.

fair enough. appreciate the notice

Quote:Congrats on being cigarette free for 3 years!  While tobacco products are legal, and should remain legal, a lot of things are put into cigarettes that should not be and are harmful to people's health.  

My wife is a former smoker.  Though she never smoked much.  A carton would last her about a year.  Still it wasn't a good habit, and she decided to make a decision to quit.   Thankfully she wasn't a smoker long.  It can have an adverse effect on your life.  I saw it with my mother.

Honestly, I don't think it's a risky move for CVS.  I'm not sure many people go to the drug store just to pick up cigarettes.  I'm sure many do pick them up while they're there, but doubt they go specifically for cigarettes.  The temptation would probably be there for anybody trying to quit.  Taking that away might just help someone.  And I think that's the purpose of a pharmacy.  

I worked as an Assistant Manager at Walgreen's for two years, this is going back 6-7 years now but when I was a manager there I know tobacco was the 2nd largest selling category. Aside from the pharmacy itself the tobacco products where the best selling item at the best profit in almost every store.
Quote:I respect their decision. CVS is changing their business approach, moving towards more health care offerings and less retail sales. I get my flu vaccine at CVS, some stores have a nurse practitioner for walk in patients. The image of getting medical care then buying a pack of cancer sticks on the way out doesn't fit their vision.

CVS is giving up $2 billion in annual sales of tobacco products. Props to them.

I like that they have a vision and are not afraid to move in a direction. I'll be curious if Walgreen's, RiteAid and others follow suit?
Quote:I worked as an Assistant Manager at Walgreen's for two years, this is going back 6-7 years now but when I was a manager there I know tobacco was the 2nd largest selling category. Aside from the pharmacy itself the tobacco products where the best selling item at the best profit in almost every store.

I meant that I don't think they'll lose many customers because of it.  They'll lose a lot of profit, no doubt.  It's a costly move.  
During my last two years at OPHS, I was a delivery boy for Townsend's Pharmacy in Orange Park. Not only were tobacco product sales a huge part of their revenue, every employee except the proprietor smoked inside the store, and nobody thought twice about it. My, how far we've come since then.

Quote:I meant that I don't think they'll lose many customers because of it.  They'll lose a lot of profit, no doubt.  It's a costly move.  

yea I don't think they'll lose any customers heck if anything they might steal some from Walgreen's.
Quote:During my last two years at OPHS, I was a delivery boy for Townsend's Pharmacy in Orange Park. Not only were tobacco product sales a huge part of their revenue, every employee except the proprietor smoked inside the store, and nobody thought twice about it. My, how far we've come since then.

I only vaguely remember smoking in restaurants as a kid, I know by the time i was old enough to drive it was already banned everywhere inside.
I applaud the decision. I have personally seen what cigarette smoking can do to a person.

Smoking is disgusting

Quote:I only vaguely remember smoking in restaurants as a kid, I know by the time i was old enough to drive it was already banned everywhere inside.

You smoked in restaurants as a kid?

To the topic, kudos to CVS. They're doing it of their own accord, and not being forced or pressured by some higher entity. It's a business decision. Their CEO said they recognize that this will cost them revenue by doing so, but as a company promoting healthcare, and in some markets, providing basic services, they felt it was a necessary move.
Quote:You smoked in restaurants as a kid?

To the topic, kudos to CVS. They're doing it of their own accord, and not being forced or pressured by some higher entity. It's a business decision. Their CEO said they recognize that this will cost them revenue by doing so, but as a company promoting healthcare, and in some markets, providing basic services, they felt it was a necessary move.

didn't word that right, I remember people smoking in restaurants as a kid.
I highly doubt that people go out of their way to go to CVS for smokes. It's more of a convenience thing for people, but I doubt people get all that upset over it.

As far as smoking in restaurants, I remember that. I smoked back then too. The funniest one was flights though. The smoking and non smoking sections were always funny. Everyone's stuck in a friggin' tin can. I don't think the seat mattered either way. 

The question is - will they sell weed when it becomes legal in Florida? The "medical" marijuana vote is the first step.

As weed starts becoming legal in more places I think you'll see fewer establishments selling cigarettes. You'll have to meet some guy in an alley and pay $150.00 for a carton.

They are a private business and can sell, or not sell what they choose.  I always thought it was interesting that a pharmacy also sold smokes.  Over the years, how many folks do you suppose picked up smokes and their COPD medicine in the same visit at places like this? 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7