Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Monroe trade is quietly looking better.....shhhh......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Baltimore's line has played horribly lately culminating in possibly their worst game of the season yesterday (as far as line play goes). Rice was held to a ridiculously low yardage total and it was because there was simply nowhere to run. 

With Baltimore losing, they now sit at 3-5, which makes those 4th & 5th round picks that we received reside in the upper half of those particular rounds. Even if Balt finishes the rest of the season at a reasonable 4-4 record, those picks would still be in the upper half of those rounds. 
hmmm

shhh  :whistling:

EM has played himself out of a fat contract, he's been terrible this year.

I still don't know that I like the trade, but I am rather impressed with the current OLs ability to provide Henne protection against the 49ers. If you recall back, Bradfield has never been that great at RT, but for some reason he's always looked good at LT. Go figure. And Pasztor at RT is one of those blessings in disguise. If only the interior could provide a little more punch in the running game, or OL really isn't that bad. 

It would be ideal if Baltimore can duplicate their next 8 games with a similar record as their first 8 games, that would pretty much put those 2 picks in the top 10 of each round. Not impossible. 

Quote:I still don't know that I like the trade, but I am rather impressed with the current OLs ability to provide Henne protection against the 49ers. If you recall back, Bradfield has never been that great at RT, but for some reason he's always looked good at LT. Go figure. And Pasztor at RT is one of those blessings in disguise. If only the interior could provide a little more punch in the running game, or OL really isn't that bad. 

I agree, I still think they could have managed the trade better and got better compensation, but I am just trying to look at the situation as half-full as I can at this point. The more the Ravens lose, the better it will be for us. 

Agreed about the current OL, too. 
I think the Ravens finish 6-10.  With losses to the Bengals twice, Jets, Lions, and Patriots.  They might even lose to the Steelers or Bears.  

Baltimore under performing doesn't change anything for me, it will be nice to have the picks in the top half of the rounds but it's still in rounds 4 and 5.

Hopefully, Monroe will realize that playing the Northeast Region of the US is much more stressful and will decide to come back to Jacksonville where he can spend 2 weeks out in California and 1 week in London during the fall.  Not a bad life here in Jacksonville !!!

Good.  More ammunition for Cadlwell. 
Quote:Baltimore under performing doesn't change anything for me, it will be nice to have the picks in the top half of the rounds but it's still in rounds 4 and 5.

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but if Baltimore and Monroe are not playing well, what justification did the Ravens have for paying more for Monroe?

If anything, doesn't this suggest that the compensation was actually a lot closer to being fair than some originally thought?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Baltimore's line play since the trade. I have no idea how Monroe is actually playing.
Bradfield and pazstor have certainly exceeded expectations for me. Normally every game there is something to complain about, but I haven't said anything about these guys, which is a good thing. I feel like there is no drop off at the tackle position this year and we got 2 extra picks
So is the argument that Caldwell could have got a 3rd vs. a 4th and 5th if he'd waited?  Is a single 3rd rounder even better than two mid round picks (especially considering the picks could fluctuate in value)?

Quote:I'm not trying to nitpick here, but if Baltimore and Monroe are not playing well, what justification did the Ravens have for paying more for Monroe?

If anything, doesn't this suggest that the compensation was actually a lot closer to being fair than some originally thought?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Baltimore's line play since the trade. I have no idea how Monroe is actually playing.

I haven't watch Baltimore play either so I can only go off the value Monroe held when he was here. While Monroe was here, under contract, before we traded him, it was fair to say Monroe was a top 10 LT in the league. I have an issue with letting that go for a 4th and 5th but we've been over that a million times.

Hey if his play has dropped off sucks for Baltimore, doesn't change the fact we spent a 1st round pick 2nd overall to replace a solid LT and then shipped him off for next to nothing.
Quote: 

THis is true, however, trade value isn't judged by how a player does AFTER the deal, its largely determined by the players production to that point.... (and the first 4 games of this season should not have altered Monroes trade value all that much at that point....)

Quote: 

I watched the entire Ravens/Steelers game and he played well in their loss.  I guess that doesn't count much since the Pats just lit up the Steelers with 55 points. Wallbash
... the ulitimate variable is whether the Ravens pick is going to be at the top half of the rounds instead of the bottom half as once presumed.

The trade will be judged how it all turns out in the end. 

If the GM has the foresight and believes Monroe is on the decline, or isn't physical enough, or whatever, and deems him expendable, then that's good.  If he believed that Monroe flat out would not resign with us, it was a good move.

1 year from now, if we used those two picks and actually got some decent young players, I doubt many of you will think this trade was that bad.

I wouldn't be opposed to use the 4th and 5th and bundle it with one of our picks (say, our own 4th) to possibly move into the late 2nd or early 3rd round and get another starter.

Quote:I agree, I still think they could have managed the trade better and got better compensation, but I am just trying to look at the situation as half-full as I can at this point. The more the Ravens lose, the better it will be for us. 

Agreed about the current OL, too. 

Based on what?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9