Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you trust Caldwell to find our Franchise QB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I sure do not,

To have long term success in the NFL a team has to have a Franchise QB.  It's too expensive to keep a good defensive team together and the league has bent the rules heavily towards the offense.  Normally the only way to find these guys are the top of the draft.  Sure there are the Brady's and Rodgers who slip in the draft but it's very rare.  Caldwell has a horrible record in the first round and really worried if we rely on his judgement to find our man. 

Ramsey has been his only good pick at this point.  Caldwell has a horrendous first round history:

Luke "the joke"  Joeckle:  Huge bust with the #2 overall pick. 
Blake Bortles:  Another huge bust and doubt he is on the roster next year
Fowler:  Another bust. His production has not warranted a top 3 pick. Another one that won't be here next year
Fournette: Injury problems in college and continues in the pro's.  In bust territory
Bryant: Still early but has shown nothing special.  Just a guy

Dave Caldwell was the same guy who took a surprise pick of Blake Bortles with the 3rd overall pick.  He wasn't a natural thrower of the football then and he is still not now.
I don't even trust Caldwell to reheat a leftover cheeseburger from Steak N Shake. He would burn it.

This guy is given far too much credit for "hitting" on a couple top 5 draft picks and a few later round picks. I can't understand why 100% of the fan base is not convinced this guy needs to go.
Yes, because he has help from this guy now:

[Image: 827682384.jpg.0.jpg]

You know the EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. The guy who signs off on all personnel decisions.
Do I create threads just to bash members of the organization?

[] Yes
[] Of Course
[] Corn
[] Blank #2
(10-29-2018, 02:24 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, because he has help from this guy now:

You know the EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. The guy who signs off on all personnel decisions.

Under this guy...it aint much better.  Taven Bryan sucks, Bortles is still your QB and your Oline is putrid.
As mentioned above.....draft choices have to pass TC's approval.
Caldwell seems to do better working out trades.....but still...its with TC's ok.
(10-29-2018, 02:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't even trust Caldwell to reheat a leftover cheeseburger from Steak N Shake. He would burn it.

This guy is given far too much credit for "hitting" on a couple top 5 draft picks and a few later round picks. I can't understand why 100% of the fan base is not convinced this guy needs to go.

1. Most of the success/blame rests on the scouts. Caldwell definitely improved the WR scouting (he had to use Gene Smith's scouts in 2013), but most of the other positions are still not well evaluated.

2. 100% of the fanbase remembers how bad the previous two GMs were. Better Caldwell than the next Gene Smith or Shack Harris.

3. Some of the blame for the picks in the early years of Caldwell has to be blamed on being ruined by the Gus culture. There were several picks who looked promising as rookies, but went downhill. The experience with free agents supports that theory.

4. You must have an awfully small stomach to not be able to finish a Steak N Shake cheeseburger.
Reheating burgers are difficult. You essentially have the condiments that don't get reheated, the bun which only requires 15 seconds, and the burger meat that requires 45 seconds.

Attempting to separate the bun from the burger and strip the condiments off without totally destroying the integrity of the burger is quite difficult.
(10-29-2018, 02:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Do I create threads just to bash members of the organization?

[] Yes
[] Of Course
[] Corn
[] Blank #2

There is a thread start count quota for certain posters.  At least in their minds there is. 

(10-29-2018, 02:34 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]As  mentioned above.....draft choices have to pass TC's approval.
Caldwell seems to do better working out trades.....but still...its with TC's ok.

This is the thing that the usual suspects seem to completely miss on in a desperate attempt to blame this on Caldwell.  Coughlin is in place, and has been for over a year, overseeing everything that revolves around the football side of the business.  There's not a personnel decision made from the coaching staff to the roster that doesn't have his stamp of approval.  But, let's blame it all on Caldwell.  That's what simple minds have to do.
(10-29-2018, 02:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Do I create threads just to bash members of the organization?

[] Yes
[] Of Course
[] Corn
[] Blank #2

Can we vote for multiple options? Because I think two of those options are equally worthy of my selection.
(10-29-2018, 02:24 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, because he has help from this guy now:

its TOMs fault they was just going to see who coud get the best girl it all stems from the best lunch mindset
As if Caldwell is the first guy to strike out trying to find a franchise QB. As if finding a franchise QB is a simple task. There are multiple teams that have been searching for decades for a franchise QB. In reality, there's never going to be enough competent QBs in the league for 32 teams. Hell, has many are there currently, ten, twelve maybe? I'll also add that teams that of have a franchise QB are likely better lucky than good. The Patriots are certainly that. Green Bay as well.

Really, any criticism of the GM should only be made after evaluating the entire roster. And yes, QB is an important part of that, so yes, Caldwell is certainly deserving of criticism in that regard. But I don't think that makes him completely incapable of finding a QB.

[] Yes
[] Of Course
[] Corn
[] Blank #2

LOL

A few consecutive losses brings them all out.
(10-29-2018, 02:31 PM)tkappa511 Wrote: [ -> ]

Under this guy...it aint much better.  Taven Bryan sucks, Bortles is still your QB and your Oline is putrid.

I would argue that Caldwells drafts prior to Coughlin were actually better than those with Coughlin. But time will give us a more complete picture.
No.
Nope. He spent the #3 pick on a guy who isn't a natural thrower of the football and still can't throw a spiral. Then extended him lol.

At least throw a damn spiral. Me throwing a ball looks like Aaron Rodgers compared to duck Borts.
Nope, Dave had Blake coming off a terrible third season and was on the clock with a QB who had top of the charts traits in damn near every category and he ignored him to take a running back. Another Mahomes could be staring him in the face and he'll just as likely go for the guy with "mean intentions" again.
(10-29-2018, 07:29 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, Dave had Blake coming off a terrible third season and was on the clock with a QB who had top of the charts traits in damn near every category and he ignored him to take a running back. Another Mahomes could be staring him in the face and he'll just as likely go for the guy with "mean intentions" again.

Don't know if your remember but I certainly remember the draft day call to Leonard Fournette posted on Jaguars.com. Shad and everyone was calling him to be the face of the franchise. Just so cringeworthy to make a RB the face in a pass era. OOF mistakes were made.
(10-29-2018, 02:34 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]As  mentioned above.....draft choices have to pass TC's approval.

I remember after the 2017 draft, it was revealed that TC was the one who was leading the call to draft Smoot, when we had a huge need at OG and Dan Feeney was still on the board. Look how that turned out. Feeney is the starting LG for the Chargers, one of the best offenses in the NFL and Smoot is a healthy scratch every week. I don't trust Caldwell or TC.
(10-29-2018, 07:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

I remember after the 2017 draft, it was revealed that TC was the one who was leading the call to draft Smoot, when we had a huge need at OG and Dan Feeney was still on the board. Look how that turned out. Feeney is the starting LG for the Chargers, one of the best offenses in the NFL and Smoot is a healthy scratch every week. I don't trust Caldwell or TC.

I don't recall that. Do you have any link - or can you name a source? I'm not saying it didn't  happen - just curious as I don't recall it and I questioned the pick heavily.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9