Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Franchise Cam (merged)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Per Rapoport
Let the board meltdown begin!!
Nice, i dont think this stops us from going after Trent Williams. Now we aren't forced to reach for a tackle if we can't get Trent
That would be the single DUMBEST move in franchise history! Even more idiotic than extending Bortles. Let's just completely overpay a LT that is so bad, he's not even on peoples top 100 available free agents. Lawrence could get badly hurt behind these OT's and if he does, it's on Meyer and Baalke's heads.
Not a fan of this move at all. Really wanted Trent or Brown
(03-09-2021, 12:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, i dont think this stops us from going after Trent Williams.  Now we aren't forced to reach for a tackle if we can't get Trent

This is Meyer and Baalke telling the fans they don't intend to bring in a new LT. The writing is on the wall. We can forget about Trent Williams or drafting a new LT on the first or second day of the draft. You don't commit to paying kobe steak prices for a piece of fatty, gristly, dollar store hamburger. That is asinine! I don't want Cam back at all! He sucks. We can find much better. By tagging him, you are basically giving up.
(03-09-2021, 12:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]That would be the single DUMBEST move in franchise history! Even more idiotic than extending Bortles. Let's just completely overpay a LT that is so bad, he's not even on peoples top 100 available free agents. Lawrence could get badly hurt behind these OT's and if he does, it's on Meyer and Baalke's heads.

Not in panic mode yet.

Still plenty of room to sign Trent Williams.  Franchise tags can be removed, and it's possible to move him to RT if Williams is signed.  The team could also draft a T.
(03-09-2021, 12:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2021, 12:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]That would be the single DUMBEST move in franchise history! Even more idiotic than extending Bortles. Let's just completely overpay a LT that is so bad, he's not even on peoples top 100 available free agents. Lawrence could get badly hurt behind these OT's and if he does, it's on Meyer and Baalke's heads.

Not in panic mode yet.

Still plenty of room to sign Trent Williams.  Franchise tags can be removed, and it's possible to move him to RT if Williams is signed.  The team could also draft a T.

I honestly don't see this happening.
(03-09-2021, 12:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2021, 12:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Not in panic mode yet.

I honestly don't see this happening.

It may NOT happen, but it's too soon to tell.

Honestly I think it's a fail safe measure to protect themselves (if not Trevor) in case Trent Williams signs elsewhere.
It's more of an insurance policy type move than anything else. What if we can't get Trent Williams? What if we're forced to reach for a LT? This just gives us more options at the position, and we're not obligated to pay him beyond this year. Smart move.
(03-09-2021, 12:35 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]It's more of an insurance policy type move than anything else. What if we can't get Trent Williams? What if we're forced to reach for a LT?  This just gives us more options at the position, and we're not obligated to pay him beyond this year.  Smart move.

Exactly.

If we sign Trent Williams, we could remove the tag (if Cam hasn't signed it), or move Cam ro RT.
(03-09-2021, 12:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2021, 12:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don't see this happening.

It may NOT happen, but it's too soon to tell.

Honestly I think it's a fail safe measure to protect themselves (if not Trevor) in case Trent Williams signs elsewhere.

But how is that protecting us? If we miss out on Williams, we could find another LT in the draft. At this point I would trust a 7th round OT over either one of our OT's. We know what they are and they suck! I'd rather take a risk on new guys, any guys, as long as they aren't what we have now. At least that would show you are at least trying to get better. This is just like settling for below average play. We had one of the lowest ranked OT tandems in the NFL. This is not protecting us in any way, shape or form.

(03-09-2021, 12:35 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]It's more of an insurance policy type move than anything else. What if we can't get Trent Williams? What if we're forced to reach for a LT?  This just gives us more options at the position, and we're not obligated to pay him beyond this year.  Smart move.

I'd rather put a 7th round OT in the starting spot than to bring Robinson back. The 7th rounder is an unknown. Robinson isn't. We know Robinson sucks and the fact that Jawaan Taylor sucks even worse, makes the OT position even more dire.

(03-09-2021, 12:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Exactly.

If we sign Trent Williams, we could remove the tag (if Cam hasn't signed it), or move Cam ro RT.

As horrible as Taylor is, do you really see this happening? Do you realistically see them moving Robinson to RT and benching Taylor? I don't.
George Warhop is considered one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL so he must have wanted Cam for his line going into the season. I will ride with his assessment over the board GM's
I'm no Robinson fan, but I seriously doubt he'll be worse than a 7th round unknown draft pick. Man, that is really taking a chance with our franchise QB. I'm in full hope mode that the Jags pursue Trent Williams, and this franchise move does nothing to change my mind.

This was exactly my thinking.  Williams is getting older and might want to go somewhere he has a chance to win right away.  Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
(03-09-2021, 12:46 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: [ -> ]George Warhop is considered one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL so he must have wanted Cam for his line going into the season.  I will ride with his assessment over the board GM's

I don't disagree but I still find it weird that they apparently want to get rid of Norwell and keep Robinson.
RIP Trevor lol
(03-09-2021, 12:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2021, 12:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]It may NOT happen, but it's too soon to tell.

But how is that protecting us? If we miss out on Williams, we could find another LT in the draft. At this point I would trust a 7th round OT over either one of our OT's. We know what they are and they suck! I'd rather take a risk on new guys, any guys, as long as they aren't what we have now. At least that would show you are at least trying to get better. This is just like settling for below average play. We had one of the lowest ranked OT tandems in the NFL. This is not protecting us in any way, shape or form.

I'd rather put a 7th round OT in the starting spot than to bring Robinson back. The 7th rounder is an unknown. Robinson isn't. We know Robinson sucks and the fact that Jawaan Taylor sucks even worse, makes the OT position even more dire.

(03-09-2021, 12:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly.

As horrible as Taylor is, do you really see this happening? Do you realistically see them moving Robinson to RT and benching Taylor? I don't.

LOL  New coaches and front office but you are still stuck in the past.
For all those against this move, if we didn't franchise Cam, and Trent Williams signs elsewhere, where do you go? Is it a guarantee a 1st round OT is a star? Be realistic.
I think it's a good move.   It's better to have him than to not have him, because it doesn't prevent us from drafting a left tackle.   And you never know about a draft pick.

Besides, as much as I would like a new LT, we do have many many needs, and you can't fill them all in one offseason.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11