Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Time to trade for a pass rusher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
The Jaguars have bounced back strongly following the disappointing loss to the Texans. No doubt, the defense has performed better than expected- especially without Davon Hamilton. If the offense continues to show the improvement demonstrated against the Bills, the Jaguars must be considered a threat to dethrone the Chiefs as AFC Champs. 

The one addition to take this team to the next level would be a dominant pass rusher to be paired with Josh Allen. It just so happens that there are two such players who quite possibly could be acquired prior to the October 31 deadline. Danielle Hunter and Brian Burns are both pro-bowlers who are under 30 years of age. They also would fit very well with the culture Doug Pederson has created in Jacksonville. Imagine a defense with Allen and Burns/Hunter on the Edge and Trevon Walker playing his more natural position on the defensive line. If Hamilton does return and plays at the level the team expected of him prior to being given a new contract, the defense would have the capability of being dominant. 

Skeptics would say the team can't afford to pay these pass rushers since Trevor Lawrence will be paid a huge amount beginning next season. I do not believe this to be the case since there are several players with high cap numbers in 2024 who can be cut/traded to afford Hunter or Burns. This list includes all possible cuts and the amountof savings:

Cam Robinson: $21 million
Brandon Scherff: $15 million
Rayshawn Jenkins: $7 million
Darious Williams: $9 million
Foley Fatukasi: $9 million
Zay Jones: $6.5 million

Based on their performance in a Jaguars uniform, the only guy I'd hate to lose would be Zay. Two players who will likely not be given new deals are Chaisson and Agnew. Both can be replaced with cheaper players (Washington for Agnew and ANYONE for Chaisson) with little dropoff and a savings of about $8 million. The Jaguars would then have very good to exceptional players at the most important positions (Quarterback, wide receiver, 2 offensive tackles, 2 pass rushers and cornerback. 

Super Bowl opportunities don't grow on trees. Trading for one of these 2 pass rushers would enable the Jaguars to not only contend for the Super Bowl this year, but for as long as Trevor is wearing a Jaguars jersey.
Jags could trade for chase young.
I don't see this happening. I wouldn't trade any of those guys you listed other than Cam and with Little now out I don't see that happening. If we trade for any pass rusher I think it would be for a mid tier edge guy for a mid to late round pick. We are not going to trade away our first and we likely won't have a 2nd because of Ridley. They are counting on Smoot and Hamilton to help when they come back along with improvement from Walker throughout the season
I hear you. However, do you really think adding a pass rusher now in the middle of the year, knowing that we have glaring issues on the offensive line and will have to face a minimum of two or three good AFC team's in the event we do make the play-off's, and undoubtedly face more than likely a good pass rushing defense. Is this the best move to make?

We're entering next year's draft short a day two selection due to the Ridley trade as well. I also think that, we could have beaten the Chiefs in week 2 had we played better offensively. We also just beat the Bills. Those are two play-off matchups right there more than likely.

I think we can manage. Maybe the coaching staff needs to figure out where to play Walker more effectively during the bye week. Maybe we'll catch more fire in the pass rushing department with Hamilton and Smoot back in the fold as well. Again, I hear you. I always appreciate your views and opinions with this team. You know your [BLEEP].

I just don't know about this one in the short term and long term. It's a possibility though. They did entertain Clowney at some point. Along with Campbell in the off season. Nothing came out of it.
(10-11-2023, 04:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]The Jaguars have bounced back strongly following the disappointing loss to the Texans. No doubt, the defense has performed better than expected- especially without Davon Hamilton. If the offense continues to show the improvement demonstrated against the Bills, the Jaguars must be considered a threat to dethrone the Chiefs as AFC Champs. 

The one addition to take this team to the next level would be a dominant pass rusher to be paired with Josh Allen. It just so happens that there are two such players who quite possibly could be acquired prior to the October 31 deadline. Danielle Hunter and Brian Burns are both pro-bowlers who are under 30 years of age. They also would fit very well with the culture Doug Pederson has created in Jacksonville. Imagine a defense with Allen and Burns/Hunter on the Edge and Trevon Walker playing his more natural position on the defensive line. If Hamilton does return and plays at the level the team expected of him prior to being given a new contract, the defense would have the capability of being dominant. 

Skeptics would say the team can't afford to pay these pass rushers since Trevor Lawrence will be paid a huge amount beginning next season. I do not believe this to be the case since there are several players with high cap numbers in 2024 who can be cut/traded to afford Hunter or Burns. This list includes all possible cuts and the amountof savings:

Cam Robinson: $21 million 
Brandon Scherff: $15 million
Rayshawn Jenkins: $7 million
Darious Williams: $9 million
Foley Fatukasi: $9 million
Zay Jones: $6.5 million

Based on their performance in a Jaguars uniform, the only guy I'd hate to lose would be Zay. Two players who will likely not be given new deals are Chaisson and Agnew. Both can be replaced with cheaper players (Washington for Agnew and ANYONE for Chaisson) with little dropoff and a savings of about $8 million. The Jaguars would then have very good to exceptional players at the most important positions (Quarterback, wide receiver, 2 offensive tackles, 2 pass rushers and cornerback. 

Super Bowl opportunities don't grow on trees. Trading for one of these 2 pass rushers would enable the Jaguars to not only contend for the Super Bowl this year, but for as long as Trevor is wearing a Jaguars jersey.

The Jags have 7 milliion in cap space right now, they can't afford either of those guys this year.
I'd rather have [BLEEP] pass rushing then a injured qb due to oline
If the team goes to the trade block or expensive free agency for an elite pass rusher, what does it say about the Walker pick?
Brian Burns is not on the table.

However, Frank Clark (Broncos), Danielle Hunter and Chase Young may be available.
(10-11-2023, 05:27 PM)Thewitnessofsolinvictus Wrote: [ -> ]If the team goes to the trade block or expensive free agency for an elite pass rusher, what does it say about the Walker pick?

It says he's taking a long time to show his potential - if he's ever going to. 

His pressure rate is up from last year. 
He's had at least two pressures per game this season except for a goose egg in the Houston game. 
5 hurries credited - 15 comb tkls and no missed tackles. 4TFL
Still only 2 sacks so far

Maybe this is a slow start to something better in 2023
Undecided
Melvin Ingram maybe and we wont have to give up a pick
(10-11-2023, 05:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Brian Burns is not on the table.

However, Frank Clark (Broncos), Danielle Hunter and Chase Young may be available.

I would throw in a 1 for Burns if the Jags and his agent can work out a long term deal.
(10-11-2023, 06:48 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]

I would throw in a 1 for Burns if the Jags and his agent can work out a long term deal.

Id rather resign Allen and keep the 1st
(10-11-2023, 05:18 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather have [BLEEP] pass rushing  then a injured qb due to oline

Same. If we trade for anyone make it OL
(10-11-2023, 08:02 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2023, 05:18 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather have [BLEEP] pass rushing  then a injured qb due to oline

Same. If we trade for anyone make it OL

Currently in this camp too   ^ but...

Anxious to see if Little can come back strong and how Cam plays over a few games.

There is an outside hope that if Cam/Walker shore up LT/LG to a respectable level that Fortner will start to suck less.
Scherff is trending up and things might start to click for Harrison eventually. 

That's a lot to hope for - but I've def seen lines start rough and round out decently before.
(10-11-2023, 04:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see this happening.  I wouldn't trade any of those guys you listed other than Cam and with Little now out I don't see that happening.  If we trade for any pass rusher I think it would be for a mid tier edge guy for a mid to late round pick.  We are not going to trade away our first and we likely won't have a 2nd because of Ridley.  They are counting on Smoot and Hamilton to help when they come back along with improvement from Walker throughout the season

why in the world would you want to keep jenkins?

he's good at rushing the passer, if only he were 6'5 280
(10-11-2023, 08:39 PM)paksat Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2023, 04:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see this happening.  I wouldn't trade any of those guys you listed other than Cam and with Little now out I don't see that happening.  If we trade for any pass rusher I think it would be for a mid tier edge guy for a mid to late round pick.  We are not going to trade away our first and we likely won't have a 2nd because of Ridley.  They are counting on Smoot and Hamilton to help when they come back along with improvement from Walker throughout the season

why in the world would you want to keep jenkins?

[Image: pff-grades-defense-week-5-v0-rerrju6cd7t...d72e24e8fc]
(10-11-2023, 08:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2023, 08:39 PM)paksat Wrote: [ -> ]why in the world would you want to keep jenkins?

[Image: pff-grades-defense-week-5-v0-rerrju6cd7t...d72e24e8fc]

Just gonna go ahead and post his grade from the week right before that one...

[Image: pff-grades-defense-week-4-v0-7bj95grlftr...e946c3a975]
Hahahaha
(10-11-2023, 06:48 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]

If I remember correct, the Panthers already turned down two 1st round picks for Burns.
Not a chance. OL is the priority for trade if they do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15