Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Curt Schilling fired over NC Bathroom law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
It's not like this was his first time saying something the Mouse didn't want to be associated with.

That said, if he used a personal account and was fired for it anyway, it's bull. If he used an ESPN-owned account, then the employer, IMO, has the right to take action for misuse of company social media accounts.
Quote:It's not like this was his first time saying something the Mouse didn't want to be associated with.

That said, if he used a personal account and was fired for it anyway, it's bull. If he used an ESPN-owned account, then the employer, IMO, has the right to take action for misuse of company social media accounts.

Public faces generally have contracts that have conduct clauses for public behavior.
Quote:Public faces generally have contracts that have conduct clauses for public behavior.
And I think that's bull. If someone is appearing as a representative of their employer, the employer has every right to enforce a certain code of behavior. If they're acting on their own and on their own free time and it's not criminal, employers shouldn't have any ability to enforce a code of conduct.
Quote:And I think that's bull. If someone is appearing as a representative of their employer, the employer has every right to enforce a certain code of behavior. If they're acting on their own and on their own free time and it's not criminal, employers shouldn't have any ability to enforce a code of conduct.

Then you shouldn't sign the contract.
Quote:And I think that's bull. If someone is appearing as a representative of their employer, the employer has every right to enforce a certain code of behavior. If they're acting on their own and on their own free time and it's not criminal, employers shouldn't have any ability to enforce a code of conduct.

Are you a lawyer? Your argument sure seems like something a lawyer would come up with - i.e., defend the indefensible. He was fired for being incredibly stupid. You want stupid people working for you?

As flsprtgod said - don't sign the contract. He is now free to engage in all the stupidity he can handle.
I wonder when we'll see parents arrested over this crap.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/20/gender-id...BpAnGdiEqD

Great Britain also issued a travel advisory to gay and lesbian vacationers headed to north Carolina.

The brown shirts are coming.
Quote:Great Britain also issued a travel advisory to gay and lesbian vacationers headed to north Carolina.

The brown shirts are coming.

Quite a stretch. They aren't advising them to not come, merely letting them know what to expect.
I understand contracts and all that good stuff. If he signed something stating he could potentially be fired for an action like this, then so be it, he deserves it.  My comment doesn't pertain to that, but just a comment in general on this topic. It's a shame that one side of these types of arguments can have an opinion and express it. It's a shame that only one side of this argument is allowed to feel a certain way and demand things be a certain way, but those who disagree are made out to be horrible human beings for their own thoughts and beliefs.

Quote:I understand contracts and all that good stuff. If he signed something stating he could potentially be fired for an action like this, then so be it, he deserves it.  My comment doesn't pertain to that, but just a comment in general on this topic. It's a shame that one side of these types of arguments can have an opinion and express it. It's a shame that only one side of this argument is allowed to feel a certain way and demand things be a certain way, but those who disagree are made out to be horrible human beings for their own thoughts and beliefs.

I agree with you, to a point, but I do see a difference when one side wants inclusion while the other wants exclusion.
Quote:Quite a stretch. They aren't advising them to not come, merely letting them know what to expect.

Ban... Advisory.... See how the words are different.
Quote:Ban... Advisory.... See how the words are different.

Yes, what's your point?
I never said they were telling them not to go.
Quote:I never said they were telling them not to go.

Yeah, and I said it was a stretch from advisory to brown shirts.
Quote:I agree with you, to a point, but I do see a difference when one side wants inclusion while the other wants exclusion.

Nope, your inclusion is creating exclusion.
Quote:Are you a lawyer? Your argument sure seems like something a lawyer would come up with - i.e., defend the indefensible. He was fired for being incredibly stupid. You want stupid people working for you?

As flsprtgod said - don't sign the contract. He is now free to engage in all the stupidity he can handle.
I'm sorry, but last time I checked, freedom of sorry hadn't been completely stripped yet (outside of college campuses).

If the guy wants to be an idiot on his own time, that's not the employer's business.
Quote:I'm sorry, but last time I checked, freedom of sorry hadn't been completely stripped yet (outside of college campuses).

If the guy wants to be an idiot on his own time, that's not the employer's business.

It is if it's in the contract.
Quote:It is if it's in the contract.
Contacts that dictate what someone can or can't do on their own free time (as long as it's not criminal) are a joke.
Dude, it's 2016--- everyone should know by now that freedom of speech protects you from government actions. A company can fire you for being a jack wagon without infringing on your constitutional rights...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38