Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "To be honest with you, we tried everything"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
That was a quote from Gus Bradley, talking about the defense after  yesterday's loss to the tacks.

It is a frightening quote on so many different levels to truly comprehend.

It is an indictment on the talent level on the defense.

It is an indictment of the coaching staff, who couldn't stop a struggling offense led by a rookie.  How can you have NO ANSWERS for the 30th ranked offense?

I hope it isn't a sign of what's to come from Tennessee.

This is a bad defense folks.

[Image: 1599e06bd7b11b9d1e3d414c4cfb97bd3ad4ed04...d224ec.jpg]

Its a bad coach. He is terrible and is in way over his head. If Khan does not fire Gus after the season then i would lose all faith in him.
They tried everything and had no answers for a raw but physically gifted rookie receiver in Dorial Greene Backham.

They tried everything and had no answers for TE Delanie Walker.

They tried everything and had no answers for 3rd and long yardage..

They tried everything and had no answers for a pedestrian running attack.

Ugh!!

What do you want we don't have the talent on defense to compete right now. I think people have to accept regardless of who the coach is we are outmatched defensively right now. The corners can't be trusted to cover in man, we don't have anyone on the line that can create pressure, our safeties suck, its not matchups its a serious lack of talent.
Quote:What do you want we don't have the talent on defense to compete right now. I think people have to accept regardless of who the coach is we are outmatched defensively right now. The corners can't be trusted to cover in man, we don't have anyone on the line that can create pressure, our safeties suck, its not matchups its a serious lack of talent.
I agree this defense lacks talent at some key positions.  I indicated talent was a problem in the initial post

Not being able to match up against elite QBs/offenses is understandable.

Not being able to match up against the 30th ranked offense and a rookie QB?  That's something else.

That's scary.

Now if you are telling me the Titans have the innate talent on their roster to be elite right now...that's scary too.  I'm not certain how true that is yet, but it is a concerning thought.

But if we have no answers against Mariota, et al,what answers could we possibly have for Matt Ryan and Julio Jones?

What answers are for us against Brees and Brandon Cooks?

Is this still a 4-12 team?

Don't we play the NFC North next year?

What answers will we have for Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford?

Quote:What do you want we don't have the talent on defense to compete right now. I think people have to accept regardless of who the coach is we are outmatched defensively right now. The corners can't be trusted to cover in man, we don't have anyone on the line that can create pressure, our safeties suck, its not matchups its a serious lack of talent.

I refuse to believe that.

What does this say about our roster three years into the rebuild?   Is three years long enough to have solved at least some of these problems?   That's an honest question.    I'm on the fence about it.   Can't rush the passer, can't cover anyone, can't make an extra point.  We do have a quarterback and some wide receivers and a good young linebacker.   Is that enough of an accomplishment by the end of year three?   

Our DBs look completely confused.   They look at the sideline, they look at each other, they look at the ground.  

I don't want us to be one of those knee jerk franchises that churns through coach after coach, GM after GM.   The best franchises are the most stable ones.   But how long is long enough?  

We keep talking about trusting the process, staying the course, but that reminds of that crazy guy in No Country For Old Men.  "If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"  

I sure don't want to tear it all up and start over.  

Quote:What does this say about our roster three years into the rebuild?   Is three years long enough to have solved at least some of these problems?   That's an honest question.    I'm on the fence about it.   Can't rush the passer, can't cover anyone, can't make an extra point.  We do have a quarterback and some wide receivers and a good young linebacker.   Is that enough of an accomplishment by the end of year three?  

I don't want us to be one of those knee jerk franchises that churns through coach after coach, GM after GM.   The best franchises are the most stable ones.   But how long is long enough?  
Considering most of the attention draft pick wise has been placed on the offense, and the offense is showing signs of being one to contend with, I think it speaks well for his ability to identify offensive talent.

Losing Fowler hurt.

But we need more defensively, obviously.
The bigger picture is....

They knew Fowler was going on the IR and they had some talent issues on defense.  And the adjustments to scheme are what exactly?  The coaches tried everything in their bad scheme that doesn't work and has never worked in Jacksonville.  I'm so sick of reading and hearing the stupid Seattle South stuff.  That defense isn't going to work here because we are years behind on quality drafts to even think about running it.

Good coaching recognizes in training camp into the preseason and makes scheme adjustments because once you are three quarters through the season you can't change your play book or make any overhaul.  Does anyone actually think the lose of one rookie pass rusher and a very good defensive tackle is all we needed to run this scheme with success?

Ugh Simple Gus indeed.  Nice guy but not a long term winning head coach.  Basically his process is to wait until he is handed enough talent that there is no way his poor decision making and inability to adjust is counterbalanced by a can't lose talented team.  Yeah in the salary cap era of modern football that is what year four with him will mean.  Yuck!!!!!

I agree and have no problem with his statement. The Gus haters are going to be quick to slam him and want him fired. I've been saying this all along, this is a player problem. We simply do not have the talent on our defense. It doesn't matter if the Titans are 30th in offense. Every squirrel finds a nut and Mariotta found his stride yesterday. It's not like he's terrible. He's going to be a QB to contend with for years to come.

Our offense is set (minus another oline or two). Caldwell put a lot of emphasis on our offense because it was terrible. I'm confident that he will put just as much if not more emphasis on our defense now. Our defense will be much better next year.

This is why I advocate Gus staying one more year. I'd like to see what he does with a competitive defensive roster. He hasn't had that and has been playing from behind most of the time.
Okay how is one draft, free agents and some rookie free agents going to wave a magic wand over a bland defense that is predicated on players being athletic.  I'm fairly confident the front office is going to give him another year and we will see how it plays out.  The defense has regressed from year one of his tenure to today.  With a better offense how is that possible?  Oh right we are scoring too quickly.

All of this boils down to one thing we made a critical mistake at the start of the rebuild instead of building a scheme around the players we had or could get we drafted for a scheme that we did not have the players for and still don't

If you rewatch the game you're going to notice that Poz gave up a lot of catches and missed tackles.  He's an awesome pro but not a very good LB.  The whole defense is confused too often, assignments aren't clear, etc.

Bradley is a terrible head coach, period.  We can talk about talent all we want but a decent HC has this team 8-4 or better.  Better coaches get he most out of the talent they have.  Bradley does not do that.
Quote:Okay how is one draft, free agents and some rookie free agents going to wave a magic wand over a bland defense that is predicated on players being athletic. I'm fairly confident the front office is going to give him another year and we will see how it plays out. The defense has regressed from year one of his tenure to today. With a better offense how is that possible? Oh right we are scoring too quickly.

I don't think we can fix this defense in one draft you can argue that we fixed the offense in one draft but that was lightning in a bottle
Quote:I agree and have no problem with his statement. The Gus haters are going to be quick to slam him and want him fired. I've been saying this all along, this is a player problem. We simply do not have the talent on our defense. It doesn't matter if the Titans are 30th in offense. Every squirrel finds a nut and Mariotta found his stride yesterday. It's not like he's terrible. He's going to be a QB to contend with for years to come.

Our offense is set (minus another oline or two). Caldwell put a lot of emphasis on our offense because it was terrible. I'm confident that he will put just as much if not more emphasis on our defense now. Our defense will be much better next year.

This is why I advocate Gus staying one more year. I'd like to see what he does with a competitive defensive roster. He hasn't had that and has been playing from behind most of the time.

When people use the term "Gus hater" that's an ignorant statement.

I haven't seen anyone on hear not admit that Bradley is a nice guy (because he is!).  However, he's a historically bad HC.  I've posted the HC record comparisons multiple times here and I'll let you do the research yourself.  The facts back up that Bradley is a bad coach and will not be successful.

He also does not pass the eye test.  The inabilities of this team that point to bad coaching are way above average for an NFL team.

Drop the "hater" card, it's way beyond used up.
Quote:What does this say about our roster three years into the rebuild? Is three years long enough to have solved at least some of these problems? That's an honest question. I'm on the fence about it. Can't rush the passer, can't cover anyone, can't make an extra point. We do have a quarterback and some wide receivers and a good young linebacker. Is that enough of an accomplishment by the end of year three?

Our DBs look completely confused. They look at the sideline, they look at each other, they look at the ground.

I don't want us to be one of those knee jerk franchises that churns through coach after coach, GM after GM. The best franchises are the most stable ones. But how long is long enough?

We keep talking about trusting the process, staying the course, but that reminds of that crazy guy in No Country For Old Men. "If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

I sure don't want to tear it all up and start over.

The last thing I want to do is blow the roster up again but something's got to change were trying to address the defense we're just not getting the right players.

At this point I'm wondering if we just need to abandon this whole defensive scheme we've been hell bent on trying to find players for. Remember we originally wanted to try and do a zone blocking scheme and we went and drafted lineman and brought in lineman from the free agency for that specific scheme.
Quote:I don't think we can fix this defense in one draft you can argue that we fixed the offense in one draft but that was lightning in a bottle
We MIGHT be able to fix this defense in one draft, but a lot would have to go right.

1.  The team had to have been right on Fowler, and he has to come back as good as he was pre injury, and stay healthy.

2.  Besides Fowler, the team has to get impact at each level of the defense.  Another pass rushing DE, another DT, maybe two LBs, and at least a S.

The good news is that all of those are positions that can be found later in the draft.

It would have to be a defensive draft the equivalent of the 2014 draft, but it could happen.
Quote:The last thing I want to do is blow the roster up again but something's got to change were trying to address the defense we're just not getting the right players.

At this point I'm wondering if we just need to abandon this whole defensive scheme we've been hell bent on trying to find players for. Remember we originally wanted to try and do a zone blocking scheme and we went and drafted lineman and brought in lineman from the free agency for that specific scheme.

There is no need to blow the roster up.  Talent is there.  We have the most talent since probably the early JDR days.

Caldwell needs to get a HC and we will be in or fighting for the playoffs next year easy.
Quote:We MIGHT be able to fix this defense in one draft, but a lot would have to go right.

1.  The team had to have been right on Fowler, and he has to come back as good as he was pre injury, and stay healthy.

2.  Besides Fowler, the team has to get impact at each level of the defense.  Another pass rushing DE, another DT, maybe two LBs, and at least a S.

The good news is that all of those are positions that can be found later in the draft.

It would have to be a defensive draft the equivalent of the 2014 draft, but it could happen.

You nailed it with 2 LBs, rewatching the game I noticed Poz was pretty bad to be honest (despite him being an awesome guy). 

Telvin is the only reliable LB we have.  You're assessment of defensive needs is pretty spot on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11