Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Keep Gus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Not going to be popular among many, but I think we should keep Gus another year. A few weeks ago, like many, I was calling for him to be fired. The frustration week after week and another season of failure gets overwhelming at times. However, many of the games we have lost have not been because of coaching, they have been because of players. At SOME point we have to point the finger at the players not competing at the level they are getting paid at. Has Gus made some bonehead calls? Absolutely. Has he made decisions that hurt the club? You betcha. But I also see HUGE improvements taking place within this team. It's not Gus's fault that Blake has thrown 9 INT's (many of them stupid throws and a few more deflections). It's not Gus's fault that the secondary cannot catch a pass. It's not Gus's fault that receivers are dropping passes that are right in their chest. It's not Gus's fault that players are muffing punts or missing field goals. Players need to perform, period. The losses are piling up but so are the positive stats. We have a young team that does not have much experience in many stressful situations like redzones and 2 minute drives. They are gaining valuable experience each week and I think this will be a strong team by the end of the season. Many of our players are strong NFL leaders in their positions. We just have to keep working on finishing. That's just as much on the players as it is the coaches.

By getting rid of Gus it will just set our team back again. New coaches, new playbooks, new philosophy. I agree that at some point, we need to wash it and start over. But it looks like we are SO close to being over that hill and I think it will just take the end of this season to put us where we need to be going into next season. Some might say "other coaches can do it in less time". You're right. With this group of guys? Not so sure.

To wrap up, I'm not trying to be an apologist. Like most, I am extremely frustrated and disappointed in this season. But, I am seeing energy and excitement within this team that hasn't been in this organization in a long time. The stats don't lie. We just have to start putting more points on the board and work on some defensive players.

One more year  Wallbash    

Good post now I see where the name comes from. In before the bashers.
BB5 went from having Fish as his OC to Olsen.  He's progressing nicely.

Fire the Head Coach.  

I've been very, very patient.

While I still remain hopeful for Gus, I do have a moderate number of gripes with his game day decisions - and at some point I'd like to feel like he's able to diminish some of these unforced errors that keep happening WAY too often. I'm not sensing that he's got the solution to that all figured out just yet.
I like Gus. I wish he was better.

That is all
I can handle today's loss. The Jets are a better team, we were on the road, it came down to the wire. In the next 5 games we play:

2-6 Ravens

2-6 Titans

2-6 Chargers

2-6 Titans again

4-5 Colts

By my count that's 12-29. What happens if the losses continue? What if we go, say, 1-4 against teams doing just as badly as the Jaguars? Give Gus more time then? 

Your right it is not.  However on the same token.  Bad Tackling,  Terrible Schemes,  Poor Blocking,  Super bad challenge calls, Wasting Timeouts,  Bad play calling are in fact Gus fault.   To say a coach with a record of 9-32 no 500% teams.  No winning seasons.  And no top 10 nfl categories is to be kept because Blake is showing progress?   Really?   One More Year  Wallbash

Quote:Not going to be popular among many, but I think we should keep Gus another year. A few weeks ago, like many, I was calling for him to be fired. The frustration week after week and another season of failure gets overwhelming at times. However, many of the games we have lost have not been because of coaching, they have been because of players. At SOME point we have to point the finger at the players not competing at the level they are getting paid at. Has Gus made some bonehead calls? Absolutely. Has he made decisions that hurt the club? You betcha. But I also see HUGE improvements taking place within this team. It's not Gus's fault that Blake has thrown 9 INT's (many of them stupid throws and a few more deflections). It's not Gus's fault that the secondary cannot catch a pass. It's not Gus's fault that receivers are dropping passes that are right in their chest. It's not Gus's fault that players are muffing punts or missing field goals. Players need to perform, period. The losses are piling up but so are the positive stats. We have a young team that does not have much experience in many stressful situations like redzones and 2 minute drives. They are gaining valuable experience each week and I think this will be a strong team by the end of the season. Many of our players are strong NFL leaders in their positions. We just have to keep working on finishing. That's just as much on the players as it is the coaches.

By getting rid of Gus it will just set our team back again. New coaches, new playbooks, new philosophy. I agree that at some point, we need to wash it and start over. But it looks like we are SO close to being over that hill and I think it will just take the end of this season to put us where we need to be going into next season. Some might say "other coaches can do it in less time". You're right. With this group of guys? Not so sure.

To wrap up, I'm not trying to be an apologist. Like most, I am extremely frustrated and disappointed in this season. But, I am seeing energy and excitement within this team that hasn't been in this organization in a long time. The stats don't lie. We just have to start putting more points on the board and work on some defensive players.
Quote:By getting rid of Gus it will just set our team back again. New coaches, new playbooks, new philosophy. I agree that at some point, we need to wash it and start over. But it looks like we are SO close to being over that hill and I think it will just take the end of this season to put us where we need to be going into next season. Some might say "other coaches can do it in less time". You're right. With this group of guys? Not so sure.

New coaches come in and have immediate success all the time. You cannot be afraid to replace a terrible coach.
I dont see how you can say by getting rid of Gus will set our team back. Lol, when youcan go out there and get an ugrade at head coach you do it. Trust me, there is an upgrade out there
no

Quote:Trust me, there is an upgrade out there

There a lot of upgrades out there. A lot.
I think its more of a "its not you its me" kind of scenario with Gus. 

Staying with Gus would be the same as staying with a girl who is past her sell by date because you don't wanna hurt her.

Cut them lose quick as you can and get back on the saddle.

Quote:I think its more of a "its not you its me" kind of scenario with Gus. 

Staying with Gus would be the same as staying with a girl who is past her sell by date because you don't wanna hurt her.

Cut them lose quick as you can and get back on the saddle.
I don't even want to know.   But I have to ask?  Can we get a new coach off Ebay?   And if so.  Why haven't we?
I never understand the "it'll set the team back, playbooks and whatnot" logic, at some point you're going to have to cut out the tumor, or do we just ride the Gus bus until he's 40-120

KEEP GUS........ as the water boy!

Yes, let's keep Gus and when he doesn't work out next year we can fire him then and then our players will have to still learn another playbook and instead of losing one year (if that) we'll lose two.  If he's not the coach we need, keeping him will set us back.

Mostly I want Gus fired because of that things where something awful happens and the camera pans over to Gus clapping furiously. I just assume he's going "YEAH GOOD EFFORT WE'LL GET EM NEXT TIME".

The biggest issue with this team is its losing culture. That's the hardest thing to get rid of when building a new team from the ground up.

Quote:Not going to be popular among many, but I think we should keep Gus another year. A few weeks ago, like many, I was calling for him to be fired. The frustration week after week and another season of failure gets overwhelming at times. However, many of the games we have lost have not been because of coaching, they have been because of players. At SOME point we have to point the finger at the players not competing at the level they are getting paid at. Has Gus made some bonehead calls? Absolutely. Has he made decisions that hurt the club? You betcha. But I also see HUGE improvements taking place within this team. It's not Gus's fault that Blake has thrown 9 INT's (many of them stupid throws and a few more deflections). It's not Gus's fault that the secondary cannot catch a pass. It's not Gus's fault that receivers are dropping passes that are right in their chest. It's not Gus's fault that players are muffing punts or missing field goals. Players need to perform, period. The losses are piling up but so are the positive stats. We have a young team that does not have much experience in many stressful situations like redzones and 2 minute drives. They are gaining valuable experience each week and I think this will be a strong team by the end of the season. Many of our players are strong NFL leaders in their positions. We just have to keep working on finishing. That's just as much on the players as it is the coaches.

Tldr

Lost me at the title of the thread. I disagree.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9