Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Scobee not one of kickers being worked out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quote: 

Jaguars‬ are bringing in kickers for a workout on Wednesday. Josh Scobee will not be one of them.

https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/6...wsrc%5Etfw

Sweet.

If Josh Scobee was still good we would have kept him. His struggles started last year and he has gotten worse since then. Why do you think the Steelers cut him in favor of someone who had no history of kicking in the NFL?

I dont think they sign anyone unfortunately. Think they are just doing this to light a fire under Myers.
I am shocked. SHOCKED.

Quote:I dont think they sign anyone unfortunately. Think they are just doing this to light a fire under Myers.

Reminds me of scobee. Back when he was a struggling rook they (jdr) brought in vet steve christie to light a fire under scobee. Hopefully this works again.
The Sorensen brothers think the Jags should hang on to Myers a few more weeks.
Scobee is the reason why we had to go Myers in the first place.. No thanks..
I definitely would have brought Scobee back, if for anything, familiarity.  You know what he can and can't do and the stories of his struggles last year are overblown.  He missed 6 and 3 of those were blocked.  Scream all you want about the ball was too low, but it's still the lineman's job to block.  He made everything in the preseason and was kicking it into the end zone for the most part.  He struggled in Pittsburgh, but he hasn't struggled here.  

I've heard Justin Tucker's name brought up, but he missed 5 last year as well and most of his kicks were between 20 and 40 while Scobee was mostly 40+.  I find a little agenda in criticizing and making a big deal out of a kicker lowering the trajectory on 50+ yard field goals.

Quote:I definitely would have brought Scobee back, if for anything, familiarity.  You know what he can and can't do and the stories of his struggles last year are overblown.  He missed 6 and 3 of those were blocked.  Scream all you want about the ball was too low, but it's still the lineman's job to block.  He made everything in the preseason and was kicking it into the end zone for the most part.  He struggled in Pittsburgh, but he hasn't struggled here.  

I've heard Justin Tucker's name brought up, but he missed 5 last year as well and most of his kicks were between 20 and 40 while Scobee was mostly 40+.  I find a little agenda in criticizing and making a big deal out of a kicker lowering the trajectory on 50+ yard field goals.

You say he hasn't struggled here, but the point out that he struggled last year, and I'm not sure what the expectation is for linemen when the kicker is putting the ball in their posteriors.  Should they be lying down to avoid getting hit?  Scobee did nothing to minimize the concerns when he wound up in Pittsburgh.  He's not going to magically get better coming back here.  The team had an entire off season including OTAs, mini camps, and training camp.  Like it or not, Myers beat him out for the job.  Whether that's a ringing endorsement for the rookie, or a sign of where Scobee is at career-wise, we ended up with the winner of the tallest midget context.
They already know what Scobee can do...... no need to bring him in
Quote:You say he hasn't struggled here, but the point out that he struggled last year, and I'm not sure what the expectation is for linemen when the kicker is putting the ball in their posteriors.  Should they be lying down to avoid getting hit?  Scobee did nothing to minimize the concerns when he wound up in Pittsburgh.  He's not going to magically get better coming back here.  The team had an entire off season including OTAs, mini camps, and training camp.  Like it or not, Myers beat him out for the job.  Whether that's a ringing endorsement for the rookie, or a sign of where Scobee is at career-wise, we ended up with the winner of the tallest midget context.

When did I ever say Scobee struggled last year?  He didn't.  And use all the hyperbole you want, he didn't kick it into offensive linemen.  The defensive line got penetration and blocked it, but blame Scobee for not sky hooking it over their heads if you wish.  Scobee has had like 5 seasons that were worse than last year, but nobody called him a bum then.

I don't know how an incumbent loses his job by making every kick.  Stop apologizing for EVERY move the Jags make.  They thought they found a new young stud and jettisoned a good kicker.  They got burned and refuse to admit the mistake by bringing Scobee back now that they can.
Quote:When did I ever say Scobee struggled last year?  He didn't.  And use all the hyperbole you want, he didn't kick it into offensive linemen.  The defensive line got penetration and blocked it, but blame Scobee for not sky hooking it over their heads if you wish.  Scobee has had like 5 seasons that were worse than last year, but nobody called him a bum then.

I don't know how an incumbent loses his job by making every kick.  Stop apologizing for EVERY move the Jags make.  They thought they found a new young stud and jettisoned a good kicker.  They got burned and refuse to admit the mistake by bringing Scobee back now that they can.

Even by his standards, he admitted he didn't play well last year.  Guess what?  That carried over to this season too.  There's a reason he's got extra time to work on his golf game right now.  It's not because he's so good at his craft that he doesn't need to worry about it.  He's out of the league.

Nobody is apologizing for the move.  Scobee was done.  That's proven to be true now.  Myers showed a bigger leg than the veteran in training camp.  He also was significantly cheaper at the position.  At the end of the day, the team would be better off if neither of them was on the roster, and there's a good chance that happens.

To say the team got burned is laughable.  Scobee wasn't the better of the two kickers. 

By the same token scobee might would respond in a very favorable way. "shrugs" 

kickers are a funny bunch.

Quote:Even by his standards, he admitted he didn't play well last year.  Guess what?  That carried over to this season too.  There's a reason he's got extra time to work on his golf game right now.  It's not because he's so good at his craft that he doesn't need to worry about it.  He's out of the league.

Nobody is apologizing for the move.  Scobee was done.  That's proven to be true now.  Myers showed a bigger leg than the veteran in training camp.  He also was significantly cheaper at the position.  At the end of the day, the team would be better off if neither of them was on the roster, and there's a good chance that happens.

To say the team got burned is laughable.  Scobee wasn't the better of the two kickers. 

Like I said, he's had like 5 seasons worse than last year and the torch and pitchfork crowd weren't proclaiming him to be unfit for NFL duty.  This is the same thing that happened with Monroe - as soon as they're gone, it's good riddance because they were overpaid bums.  

Incumbents aren't supposed to lose their jobs when they are perfect in the preseason, but I understood the move.  Cheaper and younger if you believe in the guy.  He hasn't worked out like they had hoped, so they need to admit their mistake and either bring back Scobee or find someone better.  You wouldn't take 20/26 with 3 blocked this season compared to what we've been getting?  Three missed extra points, three missed kicks, including multiple game winners and game winners that didn't even go on the stat sheet?  You honestly believe Scobee isn't capable of that?
Quote:Like I said, he's had like 5 seasons worse than last year and the torch and pitchfork crowd weren't proclaiming him to be unfit for NFL duty.  This is the same thing that happened with Monroe - as soon as they're gone, it's good riddance because they were overpaid bums.  

Incumbents aren't supposed to lose their jobs when they are perfect in the preseason, but I understood the move.  Cheaper and younger if you believe in the guy.  He hasn't worked out like they had hoped, so they need to admit their mistake and either bring back Scobee or find someone better.  You wouldn't take 20/26 with 3 blocked this season compared to what we've been getting?  Three missed extra points, three missed kicks, including multiple game winners and game winners that didn't even go on the stat sheet?  You honestly believe Scobee isn't capable of that?

You're welcome to be a Scobee apologist. 

The fact that they're bringing in other kickers is a pretty big admission by the team that he's probably not the guy.  The fact that they're not bringing Scobee back SHOULD be a pretty clear indication that they don't see him as an upgrade, but hey, you keep defending him.  Maybe he'll cover your cart fees.
Quote:You're welcome to be a Scobee apologist. 

The fact that they're bringing in other kickers is a pretty big admission by the team that he's probably not the guy.  The fact that they're not bringing Scobee back SHOULD be a pretty clear indication that they don't see him as an upgrade, but hey, you keep defending him.  Maybe he'll cover your cart fees.

And you keep believing that the team never gets it wrong.  The 50% discount on your season tickets should be in the mail soon.
Scobee is done dude. He's been off the steelers roster for a few weeks now and isn't on another team even though a few have replaced their kickers in that time.
I remember reading a few weeks ago that Scobee said he had a quad injury and that he wouldn't entertain offers from other teams until he was healthy. Apparently he had received interest from some teams. If that's true and he really did have a quad injury I doubt it's healed yet
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7