Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Supreme Court rules states must allow same-sex marriage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Quote:<div>In a landmark opinion, the Supreme Court ruled Friday that states cannot ban same-sex marriage, handing gay rights advocates their biggest victory yet.

The 5-4 ruling had Justice Anthony Kennedy writing for the majority with the four liberal justices. Each of the four conservative justices wrote their own dissent.

The far-reaching decision settles one of the major civil rights fights of this era -- one that has rapidly evolved in the minds of the American pubic and its leaders, including President Barack Obama. He struggled publicly with the issue and ultimately embraced same-sex marriage in the months before his 2012 re-election.

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family," Kennedy wrote. "In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than they once were."

In a dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia blasted the Court's "threat to American democracy."

"The substance of today's decree is not of immense personal importance to me," he wrote. "But what really astounds is the hubris reflected in today's judicial Putsch."

</div>
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politics/s...index.html

Good ruling, though I'm sure many will disagree.

Though I do find it interesting that ol' Roberts wrote this after the way he ruled on Obamacare:

Quote: 

but this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us.Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be
I cannot think of any social issue about which perceptions changed so rapidly.

Quote:I cannot think of any social issue about which perceptions changed so rapidly.

I think enough people realize that there are vastly more important things to worry about than this particular issue. I think the first sentence quoted in the OP from Justice Scalia likely embodies the sentiment of the majority of Americans.
I guess women will be allowed to vote here pretty soon too...smh
From the court opinion:

Quote: 

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

<p style="color:rgb(79,79,79);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">It is so ordered.
Quote:I think enough people realize that there are vastly more important things to worry about than this particular issue. I think the first sentence quoted in the OP from Justice Scalia likely embodies the sentiment of the majority of Americans.

It matters quite a bit to those previously denied the right to marry the one they love.
I'm all for it.. Nobody should have the right to tell someone who they can and can't marry. To hell with what some book says..
Quote:I'm all for it.. Nobody should have the right to tell someone who they can and can't marry. To hell with what some book says..

Let's not go there.
Quote:Let's not go there.

I didn't say which book. I coulda meant the yellowpages for all you know..
Now if we can just keep the government's nose out of how we raise our kids, we're well on our way..
Quote:I didn't say which book. I coulda meant the yellowpages for all you know..

As if The Yellow Pages are not a holy tome.

Wake up!
Got a call from a family member a little while ago. Biggest civil rights victory of this generation, easily, and really just one of those rare, great moments to be American. We don't always get things right, but when we do, the results can be amazing.
Quote:As if The Yellow Pages are not a holy tome.

Wake up!

Please don't just toss around the great YP in vein like that..
Swelling with pride right now. Landmark decision. Very happy for so many people out there.
This news makes me very happy. I have a couple of people in my family that are gay, as well as friends, today I'm happy for them.

I'm amazed that it took until 2015 for this to happen.
One of my best friends was very worried about the status of her marriage.  She almost put the wedding off until after the decision because of it.  It's amazing how far we've come in 12 years.

It's about damn time.
Good now we need to decriminalize polygamy and prostitution. Government has no role to dictate what kind of union consenting adults wish to enter.
This comes with a "yeah, but..."

Yeah, but I always thought, just from observing my gay friends, that the mystique of being gay was the fact that you were different and the majority was opposed to your union, as if there is a "struggle" to be with who you wanted to be with. Now that the biggest roadblock is no longer there, what now?

"On to the next issue to feed the appetite for drama!"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18