Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's?

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM by jg77.)

I have no problem with Ramsey liking an instagram post or with any of the other players doing something to take a slight at Bortles.  Everyone else is held accountable for their production so I'm pretty sure I would be mad too if I saw another player struggling immensely and getting chance after chance.  It's not like Bortles is a rookie, it's his 4th year in the league.  Jeez.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-17-2017, 11:09 AM)jg77 Wrote: I have no problem with Ramsey liking an instagram post or with any of the other players doing something to take a slight at Bortles.  Everyone else is held accountable for their production so I'm pretty sure I would be mad too if I saw another player struggling immensely and getting chance after chance.  It's not like Bortles is a rookie, it's his 4th year in the league.  Jeez.

So you would be a bad teammate as well.

There are ways to hold people accountable and on a team where you are supposedly a professional you just don't do that.  You hold yourself to higher standards.

Again, if you are going to hold someone accountable look at the front office.  Blake Bortles is what he is.  It's the front offices fault for not bringing anyone else in.  They had multiple chances for a new body over the summer.

(08-17-2017, 11:30 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:09 AM)jg77 Wrote: I have no problem with Ramsey liking an instagram post or with any of the other players doing something to take a slight at Bortles.  Everyone else is held accountable for their production so I'm pretty sure I would be mad too if I saw another player struggling immensely and getting chance after chance.  It's not like Bortles is a rookie, it's his 4th year in the league.  Jeez.

So you would be a bad teammate as well.

There are ways to hold people accountable and on a team where you are supposedly a professional you just don't do that.  You hold yourself to higher standards.

Again, if you are going to hold someone accountable look at the front office.  Blake Bortles is what he is.  It's the front offices fault for not bringing anyone else in.  They had multiple chances for a new body over the summer.

Debate-able.  I don't think any of them are bad teammates but I can see where you're coming from.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:39 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Can we wait to wet the bed about Bortles until he sucks in the Regular season? I mean it's not encouraging, but if he DOES fail (and there's a good chance of it) we're going to have to sit through 17 weeks of whining. Let's not add three to it.

(08-17-2017, 11:35 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Can we wait to wet the bed about Bortles until he sucks in the Regular season? I mean it's not encouraging, but if he DOES fail (and there's a good chance of it) we're going to have to sit through 17 weeks of whining. Let's not add two to it.

It's the preseason for self-soilers too.  They can't be expected to flip a switch and start cold on opening day with filling up those Depends and mastering the "Derp" posts.  It takes work and lots of preparation...H.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-17-2017, 11:39 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Can we wait to wet the bed about Bortles until he sucks in the Regular season?  I mean it's not encouraging, but if he DOES fail (and there's a good chance of it) we're going to have to sit through 17 weeks of whining.  Let's not add three to it.

That's what I've pretty much been getting at all along.  None of this [BLEEP] matters until the damn games count.  And unless he really screws up royally in the preseason, he's the starter like it or not.  If he sucks, he's gone.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

One day we will have another franchise QB......one day.

(08-17-2017, 02:13 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: One day we will have another franchise QB......one day.

Another?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-17-2017, 02:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 02:13 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: One day we will have another franchise QB......one day.

Another?

I was thinking the same thing.

Brunell was a good starter for this team, but his stats don't scream franchise QB.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(08-17-2017, 03:08 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 02:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Another?

I was thinking the same thing.

Brunell was a good starter for this team, but his stats don't scream franchise QB.

What a sad string of starters we've had.  The 90's are such a distant memory.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Of course it was Brunell. And of course he was a franchise qb, stats alone isnt the determining factor....

(08-17-2017, 03:14 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: Of course it was Brunell. And of course he was a franchise qb, stats alone isnt the determining factor....

Not alone, but Brunell was never considered a franchise QB by league standards.  He was always in that 2nd tier of very good QBs.  Why?  Because he had a very good team around him, and he still couldn't manage more than 20 TDs at at time when the team had one of the best offenses in the NFL.  It's not a knock on Mark.  For this franchise, he was a great guy to build around.

(08-17-2017, 03:12 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 03:08 PM)FBT Wrote: I was thinking the same thing.

What a sad string of starters we've had.  The 90's are such a distant memory.

Brunell was a good starter.  Since then, it's been a series of unfortunate events.  

Leftwich had the mind for the game, but physically, he didn't have a quick enough release to avoid getting killed.  The guy was tough as nails, but you can only take so much of a beating.

Garrard had all of the physical tools to be a very good QB.  Unfortunately, he didn't have it between the ears.  He would constantly second guess himself when he was in the middle of a play.  I always said if you took Byron's football IQ and put that with David's physical abilities, you'd have a great QB.

Gabbert.  Oy vey.  The guy was the poster child for "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."  Another guy with all the physical tools, but he was allergic to contact.  I've never seen someone curl up in the fetal position fearing contact when nobody was around, but he had it down to a science.

Henne.  Career backup.  The guy isn't good.  He isn't bad.  He just is.  You'll see him make some of the most beautiful throws on some plays, but turn right around and make a boneheaded decision on the next.  If he could have found a way to be more consistent, he probably would have won the starting job.  He managed to avoid that completely.

Yeah, whatever the opposite of "Murderer's Row" is, that's what we've had under center for the past 14 years, and it really shows why this team has struggled as badly as it has.  No QB, no success.

(08-15-2017, 10:31 PM)13Coronas Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 10:57 AM)NameRemoved Wrote: I think its disgusting to others for a QB that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. He's trash and wanting a veteran QB to take over and minimize the mistakes is not a new low. Sometimes you just have to cut the loss and move on. Quite a few of you are having a very hard time admitting Bortles is trash.
So when the ball is tipped is BB5 blatantly blamed for that   YES

That avatar has to go.  I keep thinking it's FBT, even though he changed it a long time ago.

(08-17-2017, 04:57 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 03:12 PM)Rico Wrote: What a sad string of starters we've had.  The 90's are such a distant memory.

Brunell was a good starter.  Since then, it's been a series of unfortunate events.  

Leftwich had the mind for the game, but physically, he didn't have a quick enough release to avoid getting killed.  The guy was tough as nails, but you can only take so much of a beating.

Garrard had all of the physical tools to be a very good QB.  Unfortunately, he didn't have it between the ears.  He would constantly second guess himself when he was in the middle of a play.  I always said if you took Byron's football IQ and put that with David's physical abilities, you'd have a great QB.

Gabbert.  Oy vey.  The guy was the poster child for "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."  Another guy with all the physical tools, but he was allergic to contact.  I've never seen someone curl up in the fetal position fearing contact when nobody was around, but he had it down to a science.

Henne.  Career backup.  The guy isn't good.  He isn't bad.  He just is.  You'll see him make some of the most beautiful throws on some plays, but turn right around and make a boneheaded decision on the next.  If he could have found a way to be more consistent, he probably would have won the starting job.  He managed to avoid that completely.

Yeah, whatever the opposite of "Murderer's Row" is, that's what we've had under center for the past 14 years, and it really shows why this team has struggled as badly as it has.  No QB, no success.

Your descriptions of Leftwich, Garrard and Gabbert are pretty much spot on.

Henne, though he's been a backup for more of his career than a starter, I don't think he was "terrible" in Miami.  I also don't think that he got a "fair shake" while here as the starter given the head coach and the cast around him at the time.  Could he have been a "serviceable" quarterback with a better supporting cast?  Perhaps.  I'm by no means saying that he could have been a "franchise" quarterback, but I think that if he was put on a better team he would have done better.  Ultimately his age, rebuilding and the youth of the team caught up with him.

I suspect that he has remained as the backup because of that.  He has the "mind" but just doesn't have the "body" to do it anymore.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-17-2017, 08:53 AM)Jagwired Wrote: So am I to understand it wasn't Gus? It was just because he was strapped with the Bortles? Ahhhhh, I see. They fired the wrong guy. I get it now.

That's because the media pretty much got it into people's heads that the QB is solely responsible for the team winning. Like some conceptions in life, this is incorrect. Everyone gets a share of the blame.

That said, the biggest share of the blame always goes to the people with the most control over what happens from game to game – that's the coaching staff. They are responsible for preparing the players. They are responsible for correcting techniques and mechanics. They are responsible for creating a gameplan that works best with their personnel. The head coach himself has all of those responsibilities plus managing his staff and making sure they are doing their jobs properly.

The QB has the most responsibility among all players on offense, but even his responsibilities pale in comparison to the head coach and his staff.

(08-17-2017, 05:12 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 04:57 PM)FBT Wrote: Brunell was a good starter.  Since then, it's been a series of unfortunate events.  

Your descriptions of Leftwich, Garrard and Gabbert are pretty much spot on.

Henne, though he's been a backup for more of his career than a starter, I don't think he was "terrible" in Miami.  I also don't think that he got a "fair shake" while here as the starter given the head coach and the cast around him at the time.  Could he have been a "serviceable" quarterback with a better supporting cast?  Perhaps.  I'm by no means saying that he could have been a "franchise" quarterback, but I think that if he was put on a better team he would have done better.  Ultimately his age, rebuilding and the youth of the team caught up with him.

I suspect that he has remained as the backup because of that.  He has the "mind" but just doesn't have the "body" to do it anymore.

The thing about career backups is that they are never outright terrible. In limited play they can even have the look a competent starter but when you ask them to play 16 games they fall down. Let's say something happens to Bortles and he's out for 4 weeks, Henne would probably go 2-2 during those 4 weeks. But over 16 games Henne would be lucky to get anything over 9-7. Remember when Quinn Gray had to start for an injured Garrard and he went 2-1?

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM by keeper88.)

(08-17-2017, 04:57 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 03:12 PM)Rico Wrote: What a sad string of starters we've had.  The 90's are such a distant memory.

The only thing I would add would be on the Leftwich line.. Long windup issue for sure, the guy had a rifle for an arm that could fit a ball into a space that only a few people on the planet at that time could (make you say "holy crap, how did he do that?!" kind of throw), but he was inconsistent with it too -- he'd throw the next one a 5 yard short bouncer or a 5 yard long rocket (make you say "where the heck did that come from?!").