Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BULLSEYE'S 6th Annual "THIS WEEK IN THE AFCS" - Week 17

I'm filling in for Bullseye while health issues prevent him from posting.  Bullseye, we all miss you and hope your situation improves.

I'll get to last week's recaps momentarily because this will be the final This Week in the AFCS thread for a while and I wanted to say a few things.  I'd like to start by saying "THANK YOU" (yeah, in caps) to all the participants in these threads for having nothing but kind things to say concerning my performance as fill-in editor in Bullseye's absence.  After my first TWITAFCS creation back in week 11, I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to be doing this regularly.  However, your support made these endeavors less of a chore and more of a fun hobby that I looked forward to each week.  Furthermore, I put a lot of focus on getting them done asap so people wouldn't have to post their picks in a narrow time window.  My near-vision (which I explained to another poster via PM) has been getting worse since I turned 50, which is why I use a larger font (size 5) while posting.  I hope this didn't bother anyone too much.

Next, I'd like to say that I have had no personal correspondence with Bullseye since his board retirement, and that worries me.  It's like he dropped off the face of the Earth or something, and it's the "or something" that really has me worried.  After looking back over his retirement thread again, I'll continue to hold out hope that his "goodbye" was truly meant just for our message board and that it wasn't meant to be more general in nature, if you get my meaning.

I'd also like to apologize if I did not seem more homer-ish and staunchly supportive of our team's chances each week.  I remember that Bullseye would 1) lean towards picking the Jags most weeks, 2) would refer to us as the good guys, and 3) used 27 letters to spell "Titans" ("loathsome and detestable Tacks") among other things.  Personally, I feel like the Gus Bradley era permanently damaged my optimism and now I'm beyond tired of the team's performance level and the numerous excuses that are generated in explanation of it.  Hopefully at some point things will change for the better and my team spirit will be rehabilitated.

[Image: T1GaPvI.gif]

On a not-so-cheery note, I'm not sure I will be able to continue stepping in for Bullseye next season.  The reason revolves around my family's plans to sell our house and move out of state.  I'm sure moving from Jacksonville to Ocala would be an inconvenience for most, but I'm talking about moving from Alaska to either Virginia (Suffolk/Newport News/Virginia Beach area), Tennessee (either the Tri-Cities area or Chattanooga), or South Carolina (Columbia).  It will all depend on what kind of job transfers are available for my wife and I, but we're looking at making the move either next year or in the Spring of 2021.  For us, the transfer process is very stressful as the transfer windows are narrow and rigid but also unpredictable.  This means we have to have everything done and be ready to go on short notice, but that notice might not come for months.  We'll probably be living in a week-to-week motel or something similar during our final months here and it might not make it easy for me to spend time on these threads with all the other stuff we'll be coordinating.  I hope that there are a few volunteers that could step up and keep Bullseye's AFCS threads going next year IF I am unable to do it.  On the plus side, after our move we will be able to attend Jags games again even if its only once a year.  I'll be sure to keep you all posted of when & where we are headed in case anyone is interested.

Finally, I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year and hope that you and your family are able to stay safe and warm through the remainder of this holiday season.

Now that all the mushy stuff has been said, let's get to the recaps:

[font=Arial]Houston[/font] @ Tampa Bay - Recap

I happened to be out with my son last Saturday and got to watch the first half of this game while we were eating lunch.  Having picked Houston to win this game, you could imagine my disappointment when the Texans (10-5) saw a 17-3 lead evaporate in the final 2 minutes of the first half.  Heading out with the score tied 17-17 at halftime, I didn't really follow the game anymore as I figured the Texans would lose.  What I missed out on what a huge defensive stand by both teams as 2nd half scoring would amount to only 3 field goals for the rest of the game with the Texans claiming 2 of those.  With the narrow 23-20 victory, the Houston Texans won the AFCS this year, and now have the luxury of resting numerous starters next week should they care to.  The Buccaneers (7-8) are now left trying to avoid a losing season as they host the Falcons this week.

Jacksonville @ Atlanta - Recap

It's bad when you give up 14 points before your offense even takes the field.  It's also bad when your opponent controls time of possession and puts up over 500 all-purpose yards while your team barely breaks 300.  Despite winning the turnover battle, our Jaguars (5-10) fell to the Falcons (6-9) last Sunday.  Leading 17-3 at halftime, the Falcons hung on to beat the Jags 24-12.  It would be their only win vs. the AFCS this year.  For the Jaguars, not much went right in a game that cemented this year's status as last place in the AFCS.  Atlanta even got the better of them in the sacks department.

Carolina[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Indianapolis [/font][/font][/font][/font]- Recap

Two weeks ago, Colts RB Nyheim Hines cost his team a win vs. the Buccaneers with a fumble near the end zone.  Although that loss banished the Colts (7-8) from the playoffs, Hines garnered a bit of redemption last Sunday by returning 2 punts for touchdowns in a 38-6 beating that more resembled a baby seal clubbing than a football game.  Making his first NFL start at quarterback, Carolina's Will Grier struggled to adapt to NFL game speed, ending up with 3 interceptions and no touchdowns and suffering 5 sacks.  Indy's rushing attack and ball-hawking defense proved to be the Panthers' (5-10) downfall in this contest.

[font=Arial][font=Arial]New Orleans[/font][/font][font=Arial]Tennessee[/font] - Recap

Early on, the Titans (8-7) seemed to be taking control of this game.  They had succeeded in frustrating Brees, which was made easier due to a soggy playing field that saw receivers slipping and falling during cuts.  Eventually, however, the Saints (12-3) would go on to score 24 unanswered points en route to a 38-28 victory after being down 14-0 early in the 2nd quarter.  I was impressed with how good the Saints defense was in this game.  They really got after Tannehill, sacking him 5 times while delivering some viscous hits on Tennessee's receivers.   Having completed this year's sweep of all AFCS opponents, New Orleans might just be the best team in the NFC.  I'd like to congratulate WR Michael Thomas of the Saints for becoming the all-time single season receptions leader.  I also want to say that I was impressed with Tannehill's composure and ability to keep looking for targets in the face of incredible amounts of pressure.

Now for the picks (and I'll post Prisco's picks after he makes them):

Game 1  ([font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Tennessee[/font] [/font][/font]@ [font=Arial][font=Arial]Houston[/font][/font])

The Texans (10-5) host the Titans (8-7) in one of two games that will determine the owner of the 6th and final berth in the AFC playoffs.  Since Houston claimed the AFCS crown last Saturday, Tennessee has been in direct competition with the Steelers (8-7) for that last playoff spot.  As fate would have it, Pittsburgh would drop a crucial game vs. the Jets last Sunday which actually put them behind the Titans as far as conference seeding is concerned.  Houston could potentially climb from 4th to 3rd in the AFC playoff seedings with a win next week accompanied by a Kansas City loss to the Chargers, but I'm not sure how much good that would do them as it means they might have to host Tennessee in back-to-back weeks should Pittsburgh lose to Baltimore.  The outcome of this game will largely depend on whether Houston wants to face Buffalo or Tennessee in the playoffs.  For some reason I see Houston taking a breather this game and (much to Pittsburgh's annoyance) focusing on the health of their roster and using extra time to prepare for Buffalo.  Whether Baltimore gives Pittsburgh the same treatment or not is irrelevant.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Titans[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  30
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Texans[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  17

Game 2  ([font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [/font][/font]@ [font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Jacksonville[/font][/font][/font])

The Colts (7-8) come to Duval to take on the Jaguars (5-10) in a 4pm game at TIAA Bank Field.  This would be the 2nd and final meeting between these teams this year, the first meeting ending in a humiliating 33-13 blowout in week 11.  Since that time, both teams have gone 1-4 with the Jaguars edging the Raiders in week 15 and the Colts routing the Panthers in week 16.  Last week, Indy's run game looked very good, and I expect them to administer a heaping helping of that upon our Jaguars.  Indianapolis can avoid a losing season with a win, and Minshew can strengthen the case for himself over Foles in the final game of what has become his extended audition.  I think the Colts take this one, albeit not by as much as the week 11 margin of victory was.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Colts[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  28
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Jaguars[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  16

Last Week  4-0

Overall  33-17

Pete Prisco last week  2-2
Pete Prisco overall  26-24
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

3-1 last week
25-21 overall

Titans over Texans
Colts over Jaguars
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2019, 11:12 AM by snowwolf776.)

I would like to thank you very much kodiakjag,you have done an excellent job takeing this over for bullseye. espaissley on the short notice.  I hope others here appricaitt your time,and effort you put into this.  

even after this next week the afc south pickem does contintue if a team or 2 from it is in playoffs. I rember bullsseye doing the playoffs too.  Would it be to much for you to try,and get some standings,and places listed before next weeks games? if it is thats ok no big deal.  you have done an excellent job with the fill in.  [BLEEP] for my picks this week .

titans beat texans cause they are fighting for playoff spot,and got beat in tensse by texans.

you heard it here first  Jags beat the colts-jags have no busnuies winning this game,so its the type of game they will win. 

27-21 overall

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

2-2 last week
28-22 overall

This week I'll go with:
tacks
clots

Thank you Kodiak for keeping this thread open. You've done a great job handling/honoring Bullseye's AFCS pickem.

1-3 last week, 27-23 overall. Kodiak has an insurmountable lead, and I cling to hope to beat out Prisco for season bragging rights. This week proves to be a boon for road teams:

Ten 30 HOU 9 - The Texans have clinched their postseason ticket, and will likely give some starters a rest and limit their playbook if Bill O'Brien is smart. The jury is out as to how big an if that may be. The thumbtacks take advantage and get the easy win.

Indy 16 JAX 9 - Let the fat lady sing already. Making this a 4p kickoff is just that much more rude to the few fans who do decide to make it to the finale. The horseshoes are playing for pride, and likely a heavy dose of regret over what might have been without a few midseason losses to teams they should have beaten. Jags coaches may take advantage of the halftime break to begin packing their belongings.

Great job on the weekly threads.
After spending many years in the tri cities area of tennessee, I would say come on down. Maybe we'll make a Titans fan out of you. . Just kidding, to be honest not many titans fans on that end of the state. Vol crazy though. Its sickening

Tacks are gonna whoop the texans and then make some noise in the playoffs. Vrabes was smart to rest Henry and give Adoree an extra week with the saints game doing nothing for our playoff chances.
Tannehill continues to make the mariota years feel like a bad dream.

Good luck to the jags next season.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 03:51 PM by The Drifter.)

2-2 last week
27-23 overall

Tacks
Clots
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 11:58 PM by KodiakJag.)

(12-23-2019, 10:23 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I would like to thank you very much kodiakjag,you have done an excellent job takeing this over for bullseye. espaissley on the short notice.  I hope others here appricaitt your time,and effort you put into this.  

even after this next week the afc south pickem does contintue if a team or 2 from it is in playoffs. I rember bullsseye doing the playoffs too.  Would it be to much for you to try,and get some standings,and places listed before next weeks games? if it is thats ok no big deal.  you have done an excellent job with the fill in.  [BLEEP] for my picks this week .

titans beat texans cause they are fighting for playoff spot,and got beat in tensse by texans.

you heard it here first  Jags beat the colts

27-21 overall

There is at least one team from the AFCS in the playoffs every year, Snowy.  Yet if I remember correctly, Bullseye did not continue the AFCS stuff into the playoffs except for January, 2018 when the Jaguars were in the playoffs.  His decision to keep the pick contest going was more Jaguar-related in nature, and I disagreed with him at the time because not all AFCS teams would be participating.  IMHO, the AFCS stuff should be limited to the regular season, where all AFCS teams are involved.  Besides, keeping the AFCS picks standard at 52 picks/year is good because then posters could easily compare their performance (record) each year to previous years.

Of course, anyone is free to create a "This Week in the Texans & Titans Wildcard Round" thread if they want.

As an outsider looking in (Texans fan) I rarely post on this board. I only ever really come to check in on the TWITAFCS threads because it is something that doesn't happen on my own teams board. I want to say thank you to KodiakJag for filling in and keeping this thread alive. That said, Merry Christmas to everyone.

(12-24-2019, 03:49 AM)BattleRedBlood Wrote: As an outsider looking in (Texans fan) I rarely post on this board. I only ever really come to check in on the TWITAFCS threads because it is something that doesn't happen on my own teams board. I want to say thank you to KodiakJag for filling in and keeping this thread alive. That said, Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thx, man...appreciate the comment.  Next year, feel free to participate if it's something you're interested in.

Tacks colts
At 23-25 I am simply hoping to get back to 500 at this point.

And I remember doing a this week every week till the AFCS was out of playoffs multiple times in past. Will post one if no one else does. It will be a lot shorter if I do it tho.

Merry Christmas

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2019, 12:39 AM by KodiakJag.)

(12-24-2019, 07:43 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Tacks colts
At 23-25 I am simply hoping to get back to 500 at this point.

And I remember doing a this week every week till the AFCS was out of playoffs multiple times in past. Will post one if no one else does. It will be a lot shorter if I do it tho.

Merry Christmas

Not that it matters too much, but I went back through the TWITAFCS threads for every season:

1st season (2014):  last thread  This Week in the AFC South-Week 17 (posted 12-27-2014...no AFCS playoff pick thread)
2nd season (2015):  last thread  This Week in the AFC South-Week 17 (posted 12-30-2015...no AFCS playoff pick thread)
3rd season (2016):  last thread  AFC South Pick'em Week 17 (posted 12-28-2016...no AFCS playoff pick thread)
4th season (2017):  last thread  This Week in the AFC South-Conference Championship Edition (posted 01-17-2018...only because the Jaguars were in the playoffs)
5th season (2018):  last thread  This Week in the AFC South-Week 17 (posted 12-27-2018...no AFCS playoff pick thread)

There was this thread last year:  AFC (south) Wildcard: tinhorns/horsies (posted 01-05-2019) but it was more of a game thread.  Bullseye neither started it nor posted in it.

Again, feel free to start a thread if you want.

22-28 after last weeks 2-2 dayum can't seem to find my groove
once last time.

jags will school clots at home
hard to say tacks vs 'horns.
division is the 'horns again,tacks got a wild card ......they'll be playing and trying not to get hurt
aw shoot ....Ill go 'horns
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 09:07 AM by SeldomRite.)

4-0 last week, so 29-21 overall. I'll go titans to ruin their draft position a little more and colts to help the Jags with theirs one more time.

What a year.  Sick

Prisco posted his week 17 picks on Christmas Eve.  Sorry for not getting around to this sooner, but this is from CBSsports.com:

Tennessee Titans (-4) at Houston Texans

The Texans will play to win here to try and get the third seed, but if the Titans win they get into the playoffs. That means more motivation to the Titans. That matters. They will win a game they have to have.

Pick: Titans 28, Texans 24

Indianapolis Colts (-3.5) at Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars have been a major flop and they can't score in the first half of games. Indianapolis hasn't played well, but they did blow out the Jaguars earlier this year. It will be closer this time, but the Colts will win it. 

Pick: Colts 26, Jaguars 20

PRISCO'S PICKS - WEEK 17

After a 3-1 record last week, I'm at 28-21.

Loathsome and detestable Tacks over the Texans. I wouldn't be surprised to see Watson get rested in this one, and Tennessee has much more to play for.

Indy over Jax in a close one. Both coaches have a bit to prove, but coaches coach and players play. Indy has the better players right now.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 10:48 PM by D6.)

Week # 16 Results: 4-0
Overall: 32-18

Week # 17 Selections:

Tennessee
Indianapolis

Titans
Colts

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

24-25 overall

Titans
Jaguars

FInish 1-1 this week
28-24 overall
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."