Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(12-07-2021, 01:36 PM)staropramen Wrote: Colin Cowherd just said that he got texts from two NFL execs on Sunday who described the Jags under Meyer as embarrassing.

Link?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 08:05 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

After all the years of what we have been watching, All the sudden, the jags are embarrassing? Haha

It's a rebuild. Welcome back to reality.

(12-07-2021, 08:04 PM)Jag88 Wrote: After all the years of what we have been watching, All the sudden, the jags are embarrassing? Haha

You're views are certainly 'unique'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-07-2021, 08:04 PM)Jag88 Wrote: After all the years of what we have been watching, All the sudden, the jags are embarrassing? Haha

This is incorrect. 
There has been no "build" of any kind. 
There has only been demolition.

A rebuild? For the 700th time. Also is that rebuild supposed to be worse than the one that was torn down? I mean seriously if they can't even be better than the extremely low bar already in place maybe we should do another rebuild. The last one failed. And I don't really follow who says what on these boards but you are very clearly a UM fan boy.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 08:27 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-07-2021, 08:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

You're views are certainly 'unique'.

I'm just trying to add some balanced perspective. I see the torches here all season. However, It's only year 1. The jags are probably one of the worst 5 teams in talent. Sorry to say that because I really luv our players, but it's what it is. The jags add some good players in the draft and add some good players in free agency, and there could be a huge difference next season. Wr, offensive line and line backer help. Another elite rusher. One more good cb. Come on. I can name a lot that the jags still need if you are being realistic. We can torch the coach, but the jags have to add a "few" more players.

AT this point, Homeless people may try to cheer you up if you told them you were a Jags fan.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 08:44 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-07-2021, 08:26 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 08:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You're views are certainly 'unique'.

I'm just trying to add some balanced perspective. I see the torches here all season. However, It's only year 1. The jags are probably one of the worst 5 teams in talent. Sorry to say that because I really luv our players, but it's what it is. The jags add some good players in the draft and add some good players in free agency, and there could be a huge difference next season. Wr, offensive line and line backer help. Another elite rusher. One more good cb. Come on. I can name a lot that the jags still need if you are being realistic. We can torch the coach, but the jags have to add a "few" more players.

Bro you're like one of 3 people on this planet who refuse to see what a failure Urban is. It may only be 1 year, but that's 1 year too long. It's not just us fans seeing this. Our media sees it. The national media sees it. Players in the league see it. Other team's fans see it.

I don't think there's ever been a HC, at any level, who has lost the fan base as fast as Urban has here. That can't be over looked. Its been a disaster from the moment he signed as the HC. This team will not be successful as long as Urban is here and that's a guarantee.

What in the world makes you think they're going to build anything when they pissed away so many picks this year, other than the obvious and failed miserably in free agency?  Balanced perspective...I'd call it delusion.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-07-2021, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 08:26 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I'm just trying to add some balanced perspective. I see the torches here all season. However, It's only year 1. The jags are probably one of the worst 5 teams in talent. Sorry to say that because I really luv our players, but it's what it is. The jags add some good players in the draft and add some good players in free agency, and there could be a huge difference next season. Wr, offensive line and line backer help. Another elite rusher. One more good cb. Come on. I can name a lot that the jags still need if you are being realistic. We can torch the coach, but the jags have to add a "few" more players.

Bro you're like one of 3 people on this planet who refuse to see what a failure Urban is. It may only be 1 year, but that's 1 year too long. It's not just us fans seeing this. Our media sees it. The national media sees it. Players in the league see it. Other team's fans see it.

I don't think there's ever been a HC, at any level, who has lost the fan base as fast as Urban has here. That can't be over looked. Its been a disaster from the moment he signed as the HC. This team will not be successful as long as Urban is here and that's a guarantee.
When the Jags media homers turn on you, you’re toast.

And I 100% agree. Not sure I’ve ever seen a coach lose a fan base this quickly. If it wasn’t for Trevor, I know I would have checked out months ago.

No, they were terrible all those years. Remember when we gutted everyone from the top down? Fresh start, new coach, new GM, new coordinators, new positions coaches (well, mostly), new players? We might be worser than terrible. For all that newness to appear this inept is an absolute embarrassment.

Be hopeful, fine; but be realistic along the way. We have the most coaches of any staff in the league, and the head man has no idea what any one is doing. That is by definition embarassing for a professional football team.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2021, 09:18 AM by Mikey.)

We started the offseason with a glut of darft picks and the most available cap space of all the teams against which we compete. The bolded was the same refrain we were all singing through last year's embarrassment of a season. In the words of Jim Mora, we got diddly poo out of all that potential. How in the world can anyone be optimistic that this year will be any different, especially if along the way they scare off the remaining talent we have on this team?

(12-07-2021, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 08:26 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I'm just trying to add some balanced perspective. I see the torches here all season. However, It's only year 1. The jags are probably one of the worst 5 teams in talent. Sorry to say that because I really luv our players, but it's what it is. The jags add some good players in the draft and add some good players in free agency, and there could be a huge difference next season. Wr, offensive line and line backer help. Another elite rusher. One more good cb. Come on. I can name a lot that the jags still need if you are being realistic. We can torch the coach, but the jags have to add a "few" more players.

....remember when we were characterized as needing sporks and velcro shoes for being critical of his shenanigans?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

(12-08-2021, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote:

We started the offseason with a glut of darft picks and the most available cap space of all the teams against which we compete. The bolded was the same refrain we were all singing through last year's embarrassment of a season. In the words of Jim Mora, we got diddly poo out of all that potential. How in the world can anyone be optimistic that this year will be any different, especially if along the way they scare off the remaining talent we have on this team?

(12-07-2021, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Bro you're like one of 3 people on this planet who refuse to see what a failure Urban is. It may only be 1 year, but that's 1 year too long. It's not just us fans seeing this. Our media sees it. The national media sees it. Players in the league see it. Other team's fans see it.

....remember when we were characterized as needing sporks and velcro shoes for being critical of his shenanigans?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Regarding next year's free agency, the newly announced increase in the salary cap decimated the advantage we had. We missed the window to spend that monetary advantage because everyone is going to be flush with cap space next offseason, and players will get good offers from every team, not just the bad ones.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-07-2021, 09:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 07:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

There is only a few I bring up old posts on at times, those post the ones argue with you over and over, it's the one that bring up the old post, you can bring up old post all you want but you look dumb though when I just show you multiple posts of  who I want.  There is like 2 or 3 of them that do it , Cleatwood is one .  But Ive posted for you the guy I want as our coach as much as you like to ignore it.
So he looks dumb for bringing up old posts but when you do it, it's smart?

Interesting take on a Tuesday!

Thanks for translating.  I wasn't sure what the hell was going on there.

(12-07-2021, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 11:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: And you don't think this is the case for a lot of the "old takes" you bring up?

You're just upset that someone is doing it to you when you continually do it to others. But by all means, continue doing you and I'm sure Raven will continue bringing your posts up as well.

Why would I be upset when he brings up old posts lol, it's fun to look back, just make them accurate.  I'm not gonna sit here and say Daboll or McDaniels is who you want because Brady is your top guy, that wouldn't make any sense and just lie.  Continually do it to others?  What's the last old post I brought up?  The last old post brought up  I think it was you with Carr trying to say he isn't any good and he's 2nd in passing after losing his coach and top WR.  But it's only a couple Ive brought up old posts from and I've hurt Ravens feelings a few times and I know yours are still hurt from the DK Metcalf discussion and from the Carr thread  after you brought up that old post lol

Why you keep going around hurting people?  What the hell is wrong with you??

(01-10-2021, 03:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Ordar Wrote: I don’t watch any college football, but everything I’ve read (outside this board) he has a exceptional college record, but left his last 2 jobs after about 5 years each due to health concerns.

Are the big objections on here due to the off field concerns? Is there anything (bar him never coaching in the nfl) that is a concern from a coaching standpoint?

My concerns with Urban Meyer are the following:

1. No NFL Experience.  I firmly believe there is a difference between coaching in college and the NFL.  I looked up head coaches who took teams to Super Bowls, either as a winner or a loser.  You have to go back 25 years to Barry Switzer to find a single exception of a Super Bowl head coach who came to that team without having previously been an NFL head coach, NFL assistant head coach or NFL coordinator.  NFL experience matters.  Saban and Spurrier failed as NFL coaches.  Why should we expect differently with Meyer?
  2. GM Impact.  It is widely being assumed that Meyer, if selected, would get to choose and have significant influence over the new general manager.  This will likely scare aware the good candidates.  We would go from having one of the most desirable open GM positions to one of the least.  
  3. Doesn't Stay.  His track record is that he doesn't stay with programs for the long haul.  This is particularly dangerous in the NFL if he has significant influence over player acquisitions.  He may make short term decisions instead of looking out for the long term best interest of the team.
  4. Health.  He's had health issues in the past.  A head coach having to step away could cause serious disruption to a team.
  5. Overlooking Bad Behavior.  He has a track record of overlooking or being very lenient with players and staff who have done bad things.
  6. Salary.  I know there's no salary cap for coaches, but if he is getting $10+ million per year as is being speculated and it's guaranteed, Khan will never fire him no matter how poor of a job he is doing.  The reality is that any coaching hire is a risk.  If the other candidates turn out to be flops, at least we can cut bait and change direction fairly quickly.  With Meyer, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract ends.
Other than that, I guess he's ok.

I sometimes hate being right.  I feel that I was dead on with #1 and #2.  I'm currently worried that I could be right about #6.  I really hope not.

(12-10-2021, 03:53 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why would I be upset when he brings up old posts lol, it's fun to look back, just make them accurate.  I'm not gonna sit here and say Daboll or McDaniels is who you want because Brady is your top guy, that wouldn't make any sense and just lie.  Continually do it to others?  What's the last old post I brought up?  The last old post brought up  I think it was you with Carr trying to say he isn't any good and he's 2nd in passing after losing his coach and top WR.  But it's only a couple Ive brought up old posts from and I've hurt Ravens feelings a few times and I know yours are still hurt from the DK Metcalf discussion and from the Carr thread  after you brought up that old post lol

Why you keep going around hurting people?  What the hell is wrong with you??

True, I apologize for my actions.

(12-12-2021, 07:57 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: My concerns with Urban Meyer are the following:

1. No NFL Experience.  I firmly believe there is a difference between coaching in college and the NFL.  I looked up head coaches who took teams to Super Bowls, either as a winner or a loser.  You have to go back 25 years to Barry Switzer to find a single exception of a Super Bowl head coach who came to that team without having previously been an NFL head coach, NFL assistant head coach or NFL coordinator.  NFL experience matters.  Saban and Spurrier failed as NFL coaches.  Why should we expect differently with Meyer?
  2. GM Impact.  It is widely being assumed that Meyer, if selected, would get to choose and have significant influence over the new general manager.  This will likely scare aware the good candidates.  We would go from having one of the most desirable open GM positions to one of the least.  
  3. Doesn't Stay.  His track record is that he doesn't stay with programs for the long haul.  This is particularly dangerous in the NFL if he has significant influence over player acquisitions.  He may make short term decisions instead of looking out for the long term best interest of the team.
  4. Health.  He's had health issues in the past.  A head coach having to step away could cause serious disruption to a team.
  5. Overlooking Bad Behavior.  He has a track record of overlooking or being very lenient with players and staff who have done bad things.
  6. Salary.  I know there's no salary cap for coaches, but if he is getting $10+ million per year as is being speculated and it's guaranteed, Khan will never fire him no matter how poor of a job he is doing.  The reality is that any coaching hire is a risk.  If the other candidates turn out to be flops, at least we can cut bait and change direction fairly quickly.  With Meyer, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract ends.
Other than that, I guess he's ok.

I sometimes hate being right.  I feel that I was dead on with #1 and #2.  I'm currently worried that I could be right about #6.  I really hope not.

Damn, you hit the nail on the head.

I agree that #6 is what will most likely keep us in this horrible situation - if at least for another year if I'm being optimistic. Meyer should not have bothered coming back from the game but I don't think he gets canned during this season.