Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 21, 2015

<div>
Nobel Prize-winning novelist Toni Morrison says she wants to see an officer shoot an unarmed white teenager in the back before agreeing that the “conversation about race” is over, but she almost certainly already has received her wish.

</div>

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...z3YKgrX9dw

I hope I am never as bitter about the world as you appear to be.

The problem is cops killing people. That's the problem. Race makes headlines but copy ought not be killing people as much as seems to be happening.

Quote:The problem is cops killing people. That's the problem. Race makes headlines but copy ought not be killing people as much as seems to be happening.

You're telling me a government operation is less than infallible? Say it isn't so! It cracks me up that most of the people that complain about this police problem are ones who vote for more government. More laws require more law enforcement. What a bummer.
Always fun to shoot down this idiotic thought.

From the latest census

White 72%

Black 12.5%

Ill just copy and paste this to save some time

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:1.25em;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention keeps data on fatal injuries from 1999 to 2011 and one category is homicides by legal intervention. The term "legal intervention" covers any situation when a person dies at the hands of anyone authorized to use deadly force in the line of duty.Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:1.25em;color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:1.25em;color:rgb(51,51,51);">If you have trouble with math, the ratio is 3:1 in terms of black deaths vs white when looked at in proportion to their population. But yeah, thats just no problem whatsoever.....
Quote:The problem is cops killing people. That's the problem. Race makes headlines but copy ought not be killing people as much as seems to be happening.

Also true. In almost every other developed country you could count death by cops on your hands.
Quote:Always fun to shoot down this idiotic thought.

From the latest census

White 72%

Black 12.5%

Ill just copy and paste this to save some time

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention keeps data on fatal injuries from 1999 to 2011 and one category is homicides by legal intervention. The term "legal intervention" covers any situation when a person dies at the hands of anyone authorized to use deadly force in the line of duty.<span style="font-size:8px;">Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks

</span>

If you have trouble with math, the ratio is 3:1 in terms of black deaths vs white when looked at in proportion to their population. But yeah, thats just no problem whatsoever.....

What is the ratio of crimes being committed versus demographic?
It is a simple solution, stop breaking the law and making your self a target.

Quote:It is a simple solution, stop breaking the law and making your self a target.

Are you talking about the police or the people being killed by police?
Police killings of blacks down 70% in last 50 years. Black deaths are only half of the amount deaths of whites at the hands of cops, despite the fact that blacks are statistically 3x more likely to commit aggravated assault, 6x more murders, 3x more rapes, and 10x more robberies. The outrage is a farce being instigated by race baiters.

Source: Center of Juvenile and Criminal Justice

I don't understand this race baiting defence... it seems a lot like the climate denial defence...

Meaning that if you attack the messenger, you can then ignore the reality...
Quote:I don't understand this race baiting defence... it seems a lot like the climate denial defence...

Meaning that if you attack the messenger, you can then ignore the reality...

Or you look at the quantitative analysis of the situation and realize reality ain't so bad. But I do admit, it is MUCH easier to get emotionally charged on local events and act in ignorance than actually do any meaningful research. If you actually did your research, then you would realize you don't actually have a reason to loot and pillage! That just wouldn't be any fun.
Quote:Or you look at the quantitative analysis of the situation and realize reality ain't so bad. But I do admit, it is MUCH easier to get emotionally charged on local events and act in ignorance than actually do any meaningful research. If you actually did your research, then you would realize you don't actually have a reason to loot and pillage! That just wouldn't be any fun.

So you are suggesting that people should not be outraged that someone dies of a severed spine while in police custody because black people commit more crimes?
Quote:So you are suggesting that people should not be outraged that someone dies of a severed spine while in police custody because black people commit more crimes?

Strawman fallacy. Are you suggesting that destruction of private property totally unrelated to the actual event which triggered the outrage is alright as long as they are a minority? This is an easy game to play.
Quote:Strawman fallacy. Are you suggesting that destruction of private property totally unrelated to the actual event which triggered the outrage is alright as long as they are a minority? This is an easy game to play.

Talk about a straw man.
Quote:Talk about a straw man.

Calling out those who report on police brutality, "race baiters"...

Lol, I don't think the poster realizes his own biases...
Quote:Calling out those who report on police brutality, "race baiters"...

Lol, I don't think the poster realizes his own biases...

I think he's just trolling
These people are just looking for a reason to cause chaos. They want an excuse and any excuse will do. They don't care about Freddy. They don't know about him. They didnt know him or his family. These people need to be taken care of immediately and held responsible for their actions. I don't care if they were black or white, they are thugs and animals and need to be treated accordingly..
Quote:I grew up in a part of New Mexico that was fairly privileged. I went to a high school that was upper middle class and mainly white. There were kids buying and selling pot, acid, mushrooms, etc. Some of those guys got popped by the police. None got more than an MIP,that was eventually wiped from there records.

As I went to college and in my professional life I've had 3 very close black friends. Their experiences I've had the benefit of listening to are worlds different from mine and my white friends.

I guess that's why I'm a little more empathetic when these news stories of police overreaction occurs.

Not defending the riots, but the outrage and protests are totally understandable, in my book.

I guess we all have our biases. That is the funny thing about being human, we all perceive things differently based on our experience, intelligence, and education. Fortunately for us, numbers are objective and not subjective, like our opinions. Numbers also don't lie. So, If the numbers tell us that the crimes that are occurring are on a statistical downtrend in the grand scheme of macro socio-economics, then why have there been so many "race riots" over the past couple years?

Quote:I think he's just trolling

Nice, the classic "I don't have an argument so you are a troll!" routine.
You are correct, numbers don't lie. The analysis of those numbers can. For instance, stating that because police brutality against blacks is on a down trend means that the problem is not that important anymore would be a falsity.

The issue is still important, and is pervasive enough that it occurs through the country on a regular basis...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11