Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Right to Work gaining momentum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This was a bit of good news.  Missouri is the latest state to stand up to the obsolete failing unions.  It's amazing how a change in political ideology can make so much progress, thus Missouri is now "open for business".  It will be interesting to see how much union membership plummets as a result of this well thought out piece of legislation.

It also appears that New Hampshire might be the next state to join the growing number of states supporting Right to Work.

Democrats are probably in panic mode since their slush fund lobbyists (unions) are going to be losing money.

Not all union members are democrats.

Not all unions are bad.

I'm guessing that your position is that unions, after doing all the hard work to fight for fair wages, safe work environments, anti-descrimination legislation & countless other working benefits are no longer needed.

That's a viable stance as long as these improvements don't get dismantled in the future. How much do.you trust the government and corporations to maintain a semblance of conscience when it comes to their employees?
Naughty unions with their health and safety regulations and getting better pay and conditions for the little guys.
Quote:Not all union members are democrats.

Not all unions are bad.

I'm guessing that your position is that unions, after doing all the hard work to fight for fair wages, safe work environments, anti-descrimination legislation & countless other working benefits are no longer needed.

That's a viable stance as long as these improvements don't get dismantled in the future. How much do.you trust the government and corporations to maintain a semblance of conscience when it comes to their employees?

I never said that all union members are democrats.  My position is that unions are no longer necessary and their main purpose right now is to take dues from their members for salary purposes as well as donating to the democrat party.

Quote:Naughty unions with their health and safety regulations and getting better pay and conditions for the little guys.

Unions aren't about health and safety regulations.
After being a Union Steward for a previous employer for close to 8 years, I can without a doubt say that all the union cared about was our weekly dues..
Quote:After being a Union Steward for a previous employer for close to 8 years, I can without a doubt say that all the union cared about was our weekly dues..

Guess where much of those dues went?  I'll give you a hint, it wasn't to "better the working environment for the workers".  It went straight to the DNC, especially if the union that you were in was one of the bigger ones.
Quote:I never said that all union members are democrats.  My position is that unions are no longer necessary and their main purpose right now is to take dues from their members for salary purposes as well as donating to the democrat party.

Unions aren't about health and safety regulations.

Health and safety is a big part of unions here? Saying that your union movement wasn't as strong which is why you don't have the benefits we and Europe do.
Quote:Health and safety is a big part of unions here? Saying that your union movement wasn't as strong which is why you don't have the benefits we and Europe do.
Unions here are pretty much all about gathering confiscating accepting union "dues" which is earned confiscated money from workers to give to the democrat party.  Unions do nothing for pay and/or benefits as well as health or safety stuff.

I can give a very good example of this.

The company that I work for is non-union but has a CBA.  We negotiated with the company to define wages and benefits.

The same company has another contract with the parent company, and they decided to go "union".  They got "perceived" higher salaries than we did, but what they didn't factor into it was the union dues that they had to pay.  It basically meant that their gross pay was higher than ours.  However, the deduction of union dues isn't tax deductible and doesn't do anything for them.  Once union dues along with all of the other taxes came out, the net take-home pay was the same.  All it does is funnel money to the unions disguised as "making more money" than anybody else in the same industry.  The fact of the matter is, an engineer working for the other arm of the company is still making the same amount that I do,. The difference is that engineer feeds money ultimately towards the democrat machine while I decide where money that I earn goes.

Unions are worthless.
Quote:Not all union members are democrats.

Not all unions are bad.

I'm fine with private unions its public unions I have a problem with.
Quote:Health and safety is a big part of unions here? Saying that your union movement wasn't as strong which is why you don't have the benefits we and Europe do.

Hey if you want to compare cost of living, homeownership rates, private property ownership, or any other form of wealth against the US and Europe I'll play that game all day.
Quote:Unions here are pretty much all about <del>gathering</del> <del>confiscating</del> accepting union "dues" which is <del>earned</del> confiscated money from workers to give to the democrat party. Unions do nothing for pay and/or benefits as well as health or safety stuff.

I can give a very good example of this.

The company that I work for is non-union but has a CBA. We negotiated with the company to define wages and benefits.

The same company has another contract with the parent company, and they decided to go "union". They got "perceived" higher salaries than we did, but what they didn't factor into it was the union dues that they had to pay. It basically meant that their gross pay was higher than ours. However, the deduction of union dues isn't tax deductible and doesn't do anything for them. Once union dues along with all of the other taxes came out, the net take-home pay was the same. All it does is funnel money to the unions disguised as "making more money" than anybody else in the same industry. The fact of the matter is, an engineer working for the other arm of the company is still making the same amount that I do,. The difference is that engineer feeds money ultimately towards the democrat machine while I decide where money that I earn goes.

Unions are worthless.

It's sure is fun to pretend to know what you're talking about when in reality you're clueless.

I've been an Ironworker for 20 years. The first 10 years I worked with non-union companies. The attitude concerning safety was "You fall from the building, you're fired before you hit the ground." On the flip side when I joined the Ironworkers Union the attitude towards safety was "Every man goes home to their family every day." Quite the stark contrast. And to further my point: in the 10 years I worked non-union I never took a single safety class or was tested to see if I could pass a welding test. That kind of stuff costs money and they couldn't be spending on that when their grandkids need brand new Z71's.

I've have spent over 100 hours of my own time taking OSHA 30 class, 80 hour rigging course, Sub Part R course, and unlimited thickness bridge code welding certification. So to say that the union don't care about putting safe, qualified workers on job sites is a lie.

As far as dues are concerned, every member has the right to opt out of paying International dues with no penalty. The local dues are mandatory because the hall needs expense money to operate. And dues are tax deductible.

It's funny to me that Unions were highly regarded when "The Greatest Generation" worked union jobs and were able to provide a nice living for their families with a nice retirement pension waiting at the end for them, but screw the later generations because they back a political party that many older people dislike.

Lol
Quote:Lol

How does it benefit you if the unions are dismantled?
Quote:Hey if you want to compare cost of living, homeownership rates, private property ownership, or any other form of wealth against the US and Europe I'll play that game all day.

My two countries UK and Australia have higher home ownership rates than the US. Adding other European countries is a bit pointless as Germany for example has strict rent control so many rent instead.

Cost of living is a bit of a pointless comparison unless you factor in wage rates. Just from the eye test there's a lot more poverty in the US , less ability to travel due to disposable income etc

Not to mention we get more paid annual leave etc.
Quote:My two countries UK and Australia have higher home ownership rates than the US. Adding other European countries is a bit pointless as Germany for example has strict rent control so many rent instead.

Cost of living is a bit of a pointless comparison unless you factor in wage rates. Just from the eye test there's a lot more poverty in the US , less ability to travel due to disposable income etc

Not to mention we get more paid annual leave etc.

What is you experience with single payer healthcare?
Quote:What is you experience with single payer healthcare?

Actually this week I went to the doctor twice and had an xray on my wrist (no jokes please)

Total cost = zero. Was picked up by the government. I had a choice of going to any gp I wanted to. Picked one that I could visit on my lunch break right next to my work, was seen within 5 minutes. Went to a radiology clinic later in the week and had maybe a 10 minute wait .

But yeah tear that awful system down. Think I pay less in tax than if I was in most us states too.
Quote:Actually this week I went to the doctor twice and had an xray on my wrist (no jokes please)

Total cost = zero. Was picked up by the government. I had a choice of going to any gp I wanted to. Picked one that I could visit on my lunch break right next to my work, was seen within 5 minutes. Went to a radiology clinic later in the week and had maybe a 10 minute wait .

But yeah tear that awful system down. Think I pay less in tax than if I was in most us states too.

Whoah. I am seriously curious and want first hand experience. Listening to Bernie speak on single payer tonite.
Quote:Whoah. I am seriously curious and want first hand experience. Listening to Bernie speak on single payer tonite.

I'm sure someone here will find an example where the system wasn't perfect as a reason why it is terrible though.

Fact is on average you would live 3 years longer here than you would there.
Quote:I'm sure someone here will find an example where the system wasn't perfect as a reason why it is terrible though.

Fact is on average you would live 3 years longer here than you would there.

What about cash options though? Say you want an elective operation. Do you have doctors who provide services not attached to single payer?
Quote:What about cash options though? Say you want an elective operation. Do you have doctors who provide services not attached to single payer?

Yeah can get private health or I assume pay cash if you want to in this case.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10