Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2014 Was Warmest Year Ever Recorded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/17/scienc...v=top-news

"Last year was the hottest in earth’s recorded history, scientists reported on Friday, underscoring scientific warnings about the risks of runaway emissions and undermining claims by climate-change contrarians that <a class="" href='http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier' title="Recent and archival news about global warming.">global warming</a> had somehow stopped."

"n the annals of climatology, 2014 now surpasses 2010 as the warmest year in a global temperature record that stretches back to 1880. The 10 warmest years on record have all occurred since 1997, a reflection of the relentless planetary warming that scientists say is a consequence of human emissions and poses profound long-term risks to civilization and to the natural world."

Now, close your eyes and repeat after me.

It's a hoax.

I don't believe it.

It's a liberal plot to increase the size of government.  

Say that over and over again.  You'll feel better. 
I will. I'm guessing you think we should have a carbon tax so Rome gets just a little bit fatter.

Also, you've got to love the fact that the last 140 years is your empirical data point where you have based your assumptions on...how cute.
Quote:I will. I'm guessing you think we should have a carbon tax so Rome gets just a little bit fatter.

Also, you've got to love the fact that the last 140 years is your empirical data point where you have based your assumptions on...how cute.

This is the classic response.   You don't like the hypothetical solutions, so you deny the existence of the problem.   You don't want to move out of the road, so you deny there is a car coming. 

Well, your guess is wrong.   The existence of the problem, and the desirability of any proposed solution, are two different things.   I am not endorsing any particular solution.   I'm not even saying we should do anything about it.   Just pointing out an article that says the earth is getting hotter. 

That said, let me ask you this.  If scientists said an asteroid is headed for the earth, and will destroy all life if it hits, and that we need to come up with some way of heading it off, would the fact that we would need some type of effort to head it off cause you to deny the existence of the asteroid?  

Quote:This is the classic response.   You don't like the hypothetical solutions, so you deny the existence of the problem.   You don't want to move out of the road, so you deny there is a car coming. 

Well, your guess is wrong.   The existence of the problem, and the desirability of any proposed solution, are two different things.   I am not endorsing any particular solution.   I'm not even saying we should do anything about it.   Just pointing out an article that says the earth is getting hotter.

The Earth is billions of years old and has had many changes throughout the aeons. To think that a collection of human beings will somehow destroy the planet in a formidable fashion is striking if not comical.

The Earth will reset at some point as it has done in the past, not through taxation and human manipulation as most policy set today is used for that manor only.

Thanks for your concern, but as I alluded to in my original post, you're using a hundred and forty years of data versus aeons of data.
I don't deny "climate change" I question how much we can really do about and the motives politicians have. Personally I'm big into composting and recycling stuff like that but it's not something I could ever see working on a large scale forcing people to be responsible with waste.

You end up with things like the carbon tax, seattle's garbage police ect.....

Quote:The Earth is billions of years old and has had many changes throughout the aeons. To think that a collection of human beings will somehow destroy the planet in a formidable fashion is striking if not comical.

The Earth will reset at some point as it has done in the past, not through taxation and human manipulation as most policy set today is used for that manor only.

Thanks for your concern, but as I alluded to in my original post, you're using a hundred and forty years of data versus aeons of data.

LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALA.

Earth hasn't seen a species as dominant and widespread and all consuming as human beings either. And in the past Earth "resetting" was accompanied by massive extinction of nearly all dominant species at that time. Sure, we can use up the Earth and sure, the Earth will rebound but it won't do so until long after human beings are extinct. 
Quote:LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALA.

Earth hasn't seen a species as dominant and widespread and all consuming as human beings either. And in the past Earth "resetting" was accompanied by massive extinction of nearly all dominant species at that time. Sure, we can use up the Earth and sure, the Earth will rebound but it won't do so until long after human beings are extinct.

And your point is?
Weren't they worried about another Ice Age coming back in the 70s?

The earth goes through cool and warm periods... Shocking.
Makes you wonder what all those poor dinosaurs did to cause the last big global climate change...
Global Warming doesn't exist.  Politicians who agree with it are all being paid by energy companies, while the politicians who don't certainly aren't having their pockets filled by the generous oil companies.  The politicians who don't believe in global warming realize that the earth cools and warms over periods.  Never mind that we're far outside the natural cycle range.  

It doesn't really matter anyway, because before long we'll run out of fossil fuels.  That'll be past our time, so will the results of all this global warming if it is real.  So it doesn't really concern us.  Maybe our kids, or grandkids.  But hey, our parents and grandparents left us trouble, shouldn't we do the same for our kids?

Quote:Weren't they worried about another Ice Age coming back in the 70s?

The earth goes through cool and warm periods... Shocking.

This is a talking point the deniers like. What you are actually referring to is a SINGLE (1) article (cover story) in TIME magazine that was completely erroneous and had no real scientific merit. The implication that there is confusion within the scientific community is just propaganda from big business lobbying to delay any environmental regulations which will cut into their costs. Unfortunately this means the planet will be irreparablely damaged because people will believe what authority spoon feeds them even if it is obviously counter to their general welfare.

Also the idea that we can't affect the planet is laughable. The Middle East used to be a forest before man turned it into a desert, for example.
Sample segment: 134 years

Earth's age: ~6,000,000,000 years

Im'ma call BS.
Quote:Makes you wonder what all those poor dinosaurs did to cause the last big global climate change...
They drew the asteroid to the earth through dirty liberal policy. 
Quote:Global Warming doesn't exist. Politicians who agree with it are all being paid by energy companies, while the politicians who don't certainly aren't having their pockets filled by the generous oil companies. The politicians who don't believe in global warming realize that the earth cools and warms over periods. Never mind that we're far outside the natural cycle range.

It doesn't really matter anyway, because before long we'll run out of fossil fuels. That'll be past our time, so will the results of all this global warming if it is real. So it doesn't really concern us. Maybe our kids, or grandkids. But hey, our parents and grandparents left us trouble, shouldn't we do the same for our kids?

Not too concerned with fossil fuels. Technology will be far advanced by that time.
Quote:Not too concerned with fossil fuels. Technology will be far advanced by that time.

Chevron chief said 40 yr supply left but that was 10 yrs ago.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-energy-day-2014-how-much-oil-left-how-long-will-it-last-1471200'>http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-energy-day-2014-how-much-oil-left-how-long-will-it-last-1471200</a>
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1000142405...2813553136.

Honestly, the more I read the more confused I become on this whole climate change debate.
I'm sorry, but how long have they been "accurately" recording the weather.  I don't believe the crap they were working with back in the early 1900's and earlier.  100 years of supposed data does not mean the earth has never been hotter.  Just more crap for them to "actualize" global warming.  I'm pretty sure in the 1970's they were screaming the next ice age.  What happened to that?  Now it's too hot?  How about the earth goes through changes.

[Image: Time-Ice-Age-06-24-1974-Sm.jpg]

Quote:Chevron chief said 40 yr supply left but that was 10 yrs ago.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-energy-day-2014-how-much-oil-left-how-long-will-it-last-1471200'>http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-energy-day-2014-how-much-oil-left-how-long-will-it-last-1471200</a>
If you read further down it also says with horizontal drilling that figure should go up. Anyways, people in 2015 will have a real hard time recognizing the world in 2030. We will change not necessarily because we want to. We will change because we have to. And we will have the technology to do it.

But it is certainly something we should worry about now and not later. And there are many who are. Technology will help bridge the gap.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136'>http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136</a>.

Honestly, the more I read the more confused I become on this whole climate change debate.
The less opinion pieces from a mouthpiece owned by Rupert Murdoch you read, the less confused you will be.
Quote:I'm sorry, but how long have they been "accurately" recording the weather. I don't believe the crap they were working with back in the early 1900's and earlier. 100 years of supposed data does not mean the earth has never been hotter. Just more crap for them to "actualize" global warming. I'm pretty sure in the 1970's they were screaming the next ice age. What happened to that? Now it's too hot? How about the earth goes through changes.

[Image: Time-Ice-Age-06-24-1974-Sm.jpg]

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-global-cooling-story-came-to-be/'>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-global-cooling-story-came-to-be/</a>

Ignorance is not an excuse. Remember that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15