Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: MJD To The Ring Of Honor Someday? I Hope Not.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I loved MJD as much as the next fan while he was here with the Jags. He was the face of the franchise for a lot of years. But is he worthy of being in the ring of honor? Not to me. He leaves with just over 8000 rushing yards and 68 touchdowns. Impressive stats, but not worthy of the team's hall of fame. When compared to Fred Taylor, the yardage looks pedestrian. I think honoring the all time greats of a franchise should be reserved to just that, all time greats. History will tell if I'm right or wrong, but what if a couple backs end up between that 8000 of MJD and the over 11000 of Freddy. Do they automatically get in as well? And if so, does it start looking watered down?

I have no problem with the names in the ring so far. Outside of Jimmy Smith, I just don't see another player who should be even close to considered for the ROH, including MJD.

MJD is a 3 time probowler that holds some franchise records. He produced at a high level even when teams had 9 in the box and gameplanned to just stop him. Face of the franchise for awhile He shiwed up big time in that playoff win in Pittsburgh. ..... I think he earned it but I do see your point on how it can get watered down
If they do, they do.

If they don't, they don't.

I don't really care either way.

by using only stats shouldn't we be inducting Garrard?  He played half the time of Brunnell in the league and has half the yards...owns the team single season record for most TDs (2010), least INTs (2007), Highest Completion % (2010), Highest QB rating (2010)...he also has a higher career completion %.  He is also the only other starting QB to have a play off win for the Jags.  Not to mention he did all of that with MUCH LESS talent around him than Brunnell had.

Now before people start to wig and call me a Garrinder...I am not sayng Garrard needs to be in the ring of honor at all...just showing that if we simply use stats to induct people then we will either be leaving very derserving people out and inducing people that may not be really deserving.

I do think MJD should go in one day...for the majority of his career here he was the face of the franchise...represented the team off the field very well...and has stats to back it up.

It depends if he smack talks about Jacksonville.  If he does, forget him.

Quote:I loved MJD as much as the next fan while he was here with the Jags. He was the face of the franchise for a lot of years. But is he worthy of being in the ring of honor? Not to me. He leaves with just over 8000 rushing yards and 68 touchdowns. Impressive stats, but not worthy of the team's hall of fame. When compared to Fred Taylor, the yardage looks pedestrian. I think honoring the all time greats of a franchise should be reserved to just that, all time greats. History will tell if I'm right or wrong, but what if a couple backs end up between that 8000 of MJD and the over 11000 of Freddy. Do they automatically get in as well? And if so, does it start looking watered down?

I have no problem with the names in the ring so far. Outside of Jimmy Smith, I just don't see another player who should be even close to considered for the ROH, including MJD.
Personal Iives aside: One was a druggie while the other is a whiner

They both had great Careers.  Jimmy leads the team in all meaningful receiving category's while MJD has the all time TD and season rushing record. I guess it also comes down to is what you consider to be "pride."

Are we counting just their playing careers or them as a individual?  If we are counting both then neither should be in the pride but if it's just careers then they both deserve to be.
Quote:Personal Iives aside: One was a druggie while the other is a whiner

They both had great Careers.  Jimmy leads the team in all meaningful receiving category's while MJD has the all time TD and season rushing record. I guess it also comes down to is what you consider to be "pride."

Are we counting just their playing careers or them as a individual?  If we are counting both then neither should be in the pride but if it's just careers then they both deserve to be.

I agree...but I think we should use a combo of both...I also don't think that "whining" should be a reason to not induct someone, personally.  If that was the case there would a lot of players not in their respective teams "ROHs" or the HOF...LOL

Now not inducting Jimmy due to his drug issues that got him suspended and eventually caused him to retire (and still reportedly plagues him)...I can see that.  Of course that would mean that no matter how great Blackmon plays for us he will never be in the ROH either.
Quote:I loved MJD as much as the next fan while he was here with the Jags. He was the face of the franchise for a lot of years. But is he worthy of being in the ring of honor? Not to me. He leaves with just over 8000 rushing yards and 68 touchdowns. Impressive stats, but not worthy of the team's hall of fame. When compared to Fred Taylor, the yardage looks pedestrian. I think honoring the all time greats of a franchise should be reserved to just that, all time greats. History will tell if I'm right or wrong, but what if a couple backs end up between that 8000 of MJD and the over 11000 of Freddy. Do they automatically get in as well? And if so, does it start looking watered down?

if you look at his total yards and TDs it's around 13,000 and 80. I hope be some day gets in but I think it will be a while.

It won't bother me either way.

But if you are using stats, why exclude receiving and returning? Two areas that MJD was better?
If you look at the stats, NO.   Chris Johnson is closing in on MoJo numbers and has played 2 less years.  I think we'd all laugh if the Titans put CJ in their Ring of Honor.

Same can be said for Jimmy Smith vs Rod Smith comparison.  Similar numbers but Rod Smith has 2 rings.  I don't see Rod Smith going to the hall of fame or being on the Broncos ring of honor.

MoJo was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote:If you look at the stats, NO.   Chris Johnson is closing in on MoJo numbers and has played 2 less years.  I think we'd all laugh if the Titans put CJ in their Ring of Honor.

Same can be said for Jimmy Smith vs Rod Smith comparison.  Similar numbers but Rod Smith has 2 rings.  I don't see Rod Smith going to the hall of fame or being on the Broncos ring of honor.

MoJo was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I would say that it is the Jags ROH not...the football HOF or the Titans ROH...

To me their is no comparison between CJ and MJD...CJ is an idiot...MJD was the face of our franchise for many years and our only star forever...he also holds some team records.
Quote:Same can be said for Jimmy Smith vs Rod Smith comparison.  Similar numbers but Rod Smith has 2 rings.  I don't see Rod Smith going to the hall of fame or being on the Broncos ring of honor.

Good point. Oh...wait

Quote:The Denver Broncos Ring of Fame was created in 1984 by team owner Pat Bowlen to honor former players and administrators who played significant roles in the franchise's history.

The Denver Broncos Ring of Fame roster grew to 23 in 2012 when wide receiver Rod Smith (1994-2007) was elected to join the Ring’s distinguished membership.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/tradit...-fame.html
I hope not
Quote:Good point. Oh...wait

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/tradit...-fame.html

pays to do your research hurricane :whistling:
Quote:pays to do your researches hurricane :whistling:

BRUTAL...

Brutal I Tell Ya...

NH3...
As per MJD one day being in our ROH, we had to start somehere to compile this honor. I truely feel that only select players should be bestowed as such. Of the previous players only J-Smooth is honorable enough to be inducted.

As for MJD, his status was cut short by his antics of holding out and his reluctance to finalize his career as an Jaguar...

He was Money Hungry and cared less of the team...

Still have Luv for the man though...

NH3...
Quote:BRUTAL...

Brutal I Tell Ya...

NH3...

repetitive pattern I assume? hence the plural
Quote:As per MJD one day being in our ROH, we had to start somehere to compile this honor. I truely feel that only select players should be bestowed as such. Of the previous players only J-Smooth is honorable enough to be inducted.

As for MJD, his status was cut short by his antics of holding out and his reluctance to finalize his career as an Jaguar...

He was Money Hungry and cared less of the team...

Still have Luv for the man though...

NH3...
I have no problem with what he did.. at the end of the day it is business although I don't like hearing that he talked smack about the team. I think it's hard to ignore 13,000 all purpose yards and nearly 80 TDs
no biggie I can be wrong once. I deserve it after being right throughout the entire Shack and Gene Smith era.
I hope not, but not because of MoJo's attitude, I simply have a higher standard about what level of player I believe belongs in the ring of honor. I didn't think Mojo belonged even before his recent poutfest. 

I didn't believe Brunell deserved it, either. 

Boselli & Fred did and thats the level of player I think belong. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10